ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Prediction: A Bigger Bang will debut at #1 Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 31st, 2005 09:58 PM
Poison Dart Thus far the album is getting great buzz,
solid airplay and the tour is 97% sold out.

Combined with the fact that Virgin (The publicity machine is starting to kick in) is truly behind this record.

I have a gut feeling that A Bigger Bang will debut at #1 and will sell about 2 million (similar to Voodoo Lounge)copies in the US alone. With another 3-4 million around the world.

This is going to be a special Stones record.

July 31st, 2005 10:07 PM
Poplar
agreed. i think this will be a big jewel for their already shimmering crown. i think the new material could really pep up the shows too. even a slow blues like BOMH could be a hot number live.

July 31st, 2005 10:24 PM
T&A artistic success and commercial success are rarely shared these days. we'll be the judge of the former, of course - and that's a completely open question.
July 31st, 2005 10:35 PM
Poison Dart No question about that. But I think this album may be the exception.

The Stones have hit a grandslam so far. RJ,ONNYA and BOMH are aleardy classics. SOL is growing on me.

And that's 25% of the record.

The buzz,ticket sales and radio play are all pointing towards a big debut from The Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world.

I'm telling you, 2005 is going to be the year of the Stones!!!
July 31st, 2005 10:35 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:

I have a gut feeling that A Bigger Bang will debut at #1 and will sell about 2 million (similar to Voodoo Lounge)copies in the US alone. With another 3-4 million around the world.

This is going to be a special Stones record.

I also agree especially about this being a very special record. All the signs are pointing in that direction. Of course, until one actually hears the entire album, it's pure conjecture at this point. With a huge leap in faith, my best guess is this record MAY go down as having the same quality level as Some Girls or Tattoo You. Only time will tell.
July 31st, 2005 10:41 PM
corgi37 And Bigger Bang's success could also bode well for the continuing roaring success of Live Licks.
July 31st, 2005 11:07 PM
KeepRigid It has a good chance because the internet has created an entirely new market that wasn't around to support B2B.
July 31st, 2005 11:09 PM
Soldatti Well, let's see the US release schedule with MY predictions:

August 30
Yolanda Adams - Day By Day (??)
Anastacia - Anastacia (Top 40)
Brooks & Dunn - Hillbilly Deluxe (??)
Eric Clapton - Back Home (Top 10/20)
Our Lady Peace - Healthy In Paranoid Times (Top 40)
Rihanna - Music Of The Sun (Top 5)
Kanye West - Late Registration (#1 - 400/450k on first week)

September 6
Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang (#1 or #2 - +/-200,000 on first week)

Kayne West will hit #1 with more than 400,000 copies the first week, I don't know how much he will fall on the second week. Back on 2002, Elvis sold well over 500,000 the first week and then outsold the 40 Licks debut the following week. The #1 is not 100% guarantee for the Stones, the chances are 60/40 (60=yes)

In UK the competition is really tough, many big albums out during the previous/same week. Bigger Bang could reach the #1 there (20% of chances), the Top 5 (60%) or barely the Top 10 (20%)
July 31st, 2005 11:14 PM
T&A
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

I With a huge leap in faith, my best guess is this record MAY go down as having the same quality level as Some Girls or Tattoo You.

you'd have to be Evel Knievel to leap that far...
July 31st, 2005 11:18 PM
Snappy McJack I'm sure Gazza will be pleased to know that Bon Jovi's new album will be released on the same day as "A Bigger Bang".

Let the competition begin!
July 31st, 2005 11:30 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Well, let's see the US release schedule with MY predictions:

August 30
Yolanda Adams - Day By Day (??)
Anastacia - Anastacia (Top 40)
Brooks & Dunn - Hillbilly Deluxe (??)
Eric Clapton - Back Home (Top 10/20)
Our Lady Peace - Healthy In Paranoid Times (Top 40)
Rihanna - Music Of The Sun (Top 5)
Kanye West - Late Registration (#1 - 400/450k on first week)

September 6
Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang (#1 or #2 - +/-200,000 on first week)

Kayne West will hit #1 with more than 400,000 copies the first week, I don't know how much he will fall on the second week. Back on 2002, Elvis sold well over 500,000 the first week and then outsold the 40 Licks debut the following week. The #1 is not 100% guarantee for the Stones, the chances are 60/40 (60=yes)

In UK the competition is really tough, many big albums out during the previous/same week. Bigger Bang could reach the #1 there (20% of chances), the Top 5 (60%) or barely the Top 10 (20%)

Your post is what really tells why this may hit #1...As of now there looks to be very few other albums coming out that week or the week before by other artists. To me, how high an album or single gets on the chart depends on it's compitition as much as anything. Had 40 Licks not come out the same week as Elvis' hits package it would have hit #1...None of those artists has as big a name as the Stones...Plus, with the Stones playing halftime of Thursday night football on Septemebr 8th that week that will get them some more great publicity that week... I predict the Stones debut at #1...dropping to #4 or so the next week...
August 1st, 2005 12:16 AM
time is on my side
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

Your post is what really tells why this may hit #1...As of now there looks to be very few other albums coming out that week or the week before by other artists. To me, how high an album or single gets on the chart depends on it's compitition as much as anything. Had 40 Licks not come out the same week as Elvis' hits package it would have hit #1...None of those artists has as big a name as the Stones...Plus, with the Stones playing halftime of Thursday night football on Septemebr 8th that week that will get them some more great publicity that week... I predict the Stones debut at #1...dropping to #4 or so the next week...

Excellent post!!!! I agree, the STONES have a very good chance at being number 1 for a week or so. However, there's an album that's #1 once every week on the charts and just about all of them do not have much quality in my opinion. My main concern with this album is not whether or not it is number 1 or 2 on the charts but whether or not it is a quality release that will sustain the test of time.

Hopefully, it will be both!!!!
August 1st, 2005 05:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
I'm sure Gazza will be pleased to know that Bon Jovi's new album will be released on the same day as "A Bigger Bang".

Let the competition begin!

Ah fuck, yer kiddin' me!

I had high hopes that the Stones would debut at #1 in the UK until I heard that.

I cant see them outselling the Singin' Poodle, however
August 1st, 2005 07:09 AM
Monkeytonk-man Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. but Paul Mcartney's new album is out on the same day, at least in the UK, and I have a horrible feeling that this might beat the Stones to the post.

Same thing happened with 40 licks, I was really hoping they could get a number 1 with this album, i felt it was their best chance, but they released it the same time as Elvis' No 1 collection or something and they had to settle for the No 2 spot.

Can't explain it, but I would love for the boys to get a No 1. album, it would give a a good feeling, and I hope they make it, but, i'm just trying to not get my hopes up to much, otherwise I might be real dissapointed.
August 1st, 2005 08:15 AM
Gazza The Stones have had UK number ones in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

It would be a unique achievement to do it in five different decades but Virgin ballsed it up by releasing "40 Licks" in the same week as Elvis' Number 1's CD and now theyve picked another competitive week.

For what its worth, I think the Stones will outsell McCartney in the first week. Whether they'll outsell Bon Jovi is more doubtful.
August 1st, 2005 08:20 AM
gimmekeef The Stones are playing a half time during the football opener?...Is this confirmed??
August 1st, 2005 08:22 AM
BlindLemon Not that I know the British particularly well, but I've always had the impression theirs is a very volatile market, where anything can flop or become a hit, based on "buzz", compared to more predictable continental markets. So the question to me now is, are "singing poodles" (the original S.P., Macca and GeneratioNext Bon Jovi)hot in Britain?
August 1st, 2005 08:22 AM
gimmekeef Should have read down further..Guess they are.That will add to the hype and likely help sales the first week end...Unless they do SOL!!!!!!
August 1st, 2005 08:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Not that I know the British particularly well, but I've always had the impression theirs is a very volatile market, where anything can flop or become a hit, based on "buzz", compared to more predictable continental markets. So the question to me now is, are "singing poodles" (the original S.P., Macca and GeneratioNext Bon Jovi)hot in Britain?

The singles chart is indeed reliant on a "buzz" as you call it. The Crazy Frog ringtone even reached number 1 a few weeks ago!

Album charts are a bit more predictable.

Bon Jovi would still be a major concert draw in the UK and their singles and albums would be onsistently big sellers too. Not to the degree that they were in the 80s and 90's but unfortunately that bland "rawk" genre still has a sizeable enough following.
August 1st, 2005 12:37 PM
Soldatti Bon Jovi's album is out on Sept.19, Macca's on Sept. 12.
The top releases on Aug. 29 and Sept. 5 in UK are:
Anastacia
Simple Minds
Craig David
McFly
Snoop Dogg
Pet Shop Boys
Tears For Fears
Sarah McLachlan
Rolling Stones

Strong competition.
August 1st, 2005 12:39 PM
Monkey Woman Strong but not unbeatable?
At least, the Snoop Dog album is not in the same category!
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 1st, 2005 12:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Strong but not unbeatable?
At least, the Snoop Dog album is not in the same category!

Of course!
I mean commercially talking.
August 1st, 2005 12:46 PM
JaggerLips Rolling Stones should surely get number One in the UK, they are the best we've got!
August 1st, 2005 01:35 PM
gimmekeef They wont even crack the top 20...if everyone is downloading "free" versions like we have been!....
August 1st, 2005 01:44 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Bon Jovi's album is out on Sept.19, Macca's on Sept. 12.
The top releases on Aug. 29 and Sept. in UK are:

McFly
Rolling Stones

Strong competition.

Yes it will...I m not sure to win this time
August 1st, 2005 01:53 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Anastacia
Simple Minds
Craig David
McFly
Snoop Dogg
Pet Shop Boys
Tears For Fears
Sarah McLachlan
Rolling Stones

Strong competition.

If Macca is the following week & Bon Jovi after that then the only competition the Stones have to worry about is Snoop...I could see them coming in #2 behind him... Everyone else the Stones should take out!!
August 1st, 2005 01:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Anastacia
Simple Minds
Craig David
McFly
Snoop Dogg
Pet Shop Boys
Tears For Fears
Sarah McLachlan
Rolling Stones

Strong competition.

Another Anastacia album already? Bloody hell, that girl is prolific

The only one of that lot who could feasibly outsell a Rolling Stones album in the first week of release in the UK are McFly or Craig David, although Craig David has been quiet for a while, so its unsure whether this album would have the same impact as his last one. McFly are more a singles act, although theres enough kids around to buy their album in droves.

Thats a long shot, however. I expect a number 1 album for the Stones. For one week. Two at the most.
August 1st, 2005 01:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

If Macca is the following week & Bon Jovi after that then the only competition the Stones have to worry about is Snoop...I could see them coming in #2 behind him... Everyone else the Stones should take out!!

Snoop Doggy Dogg wouldnt sell more records in the first week of release than the Stones.

A lot depends on how the Stones (or rather, Virgin) market this album. The idea of releasing two different types of songs to suit different radio markets is a good one. It maximises the impact.
August 1st, 2005 02:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Rolling Stones should surely get number One in the UK, they are the best we've got!

by that logic, how do you explain the appeal of Westlife?

August 1st, 2005 07:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Thats a long shot, however. I expect a number 1 album for the Stones. For one week. Two at the most.

I expect a lonely week at #1 on both sides of the Atlantic, I will be VERY happy with that.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)