ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

RIP BRIAN JONES 1942 - 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is "Blondie"? Does anyone know? Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd June 2007 09:12 PM
morocco Does anyone know anything about the infamous "Blondie" that supposedly covers for Keith Richards during the Stones concerts? Come on! How could a guitarist nicknamed "the human riff" have a ghost guitarist?

Do you mean to tell me that sites like tmz and Perex Hilton can get info on Tom and Katie's new baby but no one knows the name of the guitarist who plays Keith Richards' parts?
22nd June 2007 09:16 PM
lotsajizz use your search engines and wake up....
22nd June 2007 09:28 PM
pdog Blondie, Bernard and Lisa...
back up singers...
Blondie also plays guitar a bunch...
22nd June 2007 09:30 PM
morocco Okay, must be Blondie Chaplin, thought he was mostly a backup vocalist. He must be a great guitar player if Keith lets him play his parts for him.
22nd June 2007 09:33 PM
lotsajizz it's not that he is good, it's that Keith has not recovered from that fall last year and his choice of "medication" renders him damn near incompetent
22nd June 2007 09:35 PM
pdog Keith let him carry his drugs for years, so playing a little guitar is no big deal...
Live, having guitarists, isn't a big deal... in the studios guitars have been layered for years, so it is okay to fill the live sound... The only question with Keith is how much is he able to play, and has his past finally caught up to cause this...
22nd June 2007 09:35 PM
morocco Well Keith must "listen" to Blondie's playing and approve, right? He wouldn't allow a mediocre guitarist to play live with the Stones would he?
22nd June 2007 09:37 PM
pdog
quote:
morocco wrote:
Well Keith must "listen" to Blondie's playing and approve, right? He wouldn't allow a mediocre guitarist to play live with the Stones would he?

He let Ronnie play 1999 through 2003, didn't he?
22nd June 2007 09:38 PM
morocco Oh yea, and why doesn't some good, rock journalist just nail Richards straight out, and ask him if he has a guitarist in the wings playing his parts?

Is Keith too sacred?
22nd June 2007 09:39 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
morocco wrote:
Okay, must be Blondie Chaplin, thought he was mostly a backup vocalist. He must be a great guitar player if Keith lets him play his parts for him.

Not great, but competant - He used to be a member of the Beach Boys in the early seventies. I've mainly seen him playing acoustic on some songs.
22nd June 2007 09:40 PM
morocco Alright, let's say I'm a rock journalist, like Lester Bangs used to be. I'd ask:

"Keith, rumor is you come on stage too drunk to play and you let Blondie Chaplin cover your incompetence, is this true?"
22nd June 2007 09:42 PM
Throwaway Blondie doesn't "cover" Keith's parts, he usually just plays a simple rhythm on most songs, sometimes on acoustic. You can be sure thats Keith you hear when he's banging out JJF..sometimes Blondie is easier to hear, such as on YGTS (obvious w/ a guitarless KR) and other times he just plays passing chords on acoustic, like he's done on Sway.
22nd June 2007 09:51 PM
lotsajizz yeah, I got to agree....Blondie playing is not any sort of secret, not any thing they have ever tried to hide, nor any thing they've tried to cover up...he's an extra guitar that adds nice chunkiness on some tunes, on some tunes he's barely audible, on others he is louder, depending recently on Keith's blood alcohol level....but rest assured, most important parts are played by Keith and NOT Blondie

it's just kinda sad that what was previously filler is now louder in the mix to cover up Keith's premature return.....
22nd June 2007 09:54 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
on some tunes he's barely audible, on others he is louder, depending recently on Keith's blood alcohol level....

Note to self: Be careful drinking water while reading posts....
22nd June 2007 10:03 PM
fireontheplatter i think someone earlier said...he is keith's drug supplier and i believe it.
22nd June 2007 10:54 PM
glencar He's a total loooooozer. I think he supplies some with concert tix.
22nd June 2007 11:07 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i think someone earlier said...he is keith's drug supplier and i believe it.

Just a mule... drug dealers are cool...
22nd June 2007 11:10 PM
mojoman blondie on blondie
23rd June 2007 12:39 AM
oldkr Blondie Chaplin is a respected and accomplished musician - he has known keith since the 60s. He's a pretty smoking guitarist actually- I saw the crew band play at CBGB's and he rocked it. He's a highly sought after session musician and something of a star in his native south africa. This is the stones. They dont hire duds.

OLDKR
23rd June 2007 09:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
oldkr wrote:
Blondie Chaplin is a respected and accomplished musician - he has known keith since the 60s. He's a pretty smoking guitarist actually- I saw the crew band play at CBGB's and he rocked it. He's a highly sought after session musician and something of a star in his native south africa. This is the stones. They dont hire duds.

OLDKR

The history of Rock n Roll is filled with the stories of "obscure" sidemen and session musicians who never get the credit they deserve.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
23rd June 2007 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:
This is the stones. They dont hire duds.

Correct
23rd June 2007 12:36 PM
Honky Tonk Man As much as I'd rather Keith and Ronnie handle the guitars completely on their own, Blondie is there to help fill out the sound and I think we have to apreciate him for that. Lord knows what it'd sound like without him!!

Saying that though, I do think Chuck needs to tone down the keyboards a little.
24th June 2007 07:30 AM
corgi37 Blondie is the fairy dust of the whole magical Stones music show. He mainly doubles on accoustic like many of the important hits. Satisfaction, Brown Sugar for example - though obvisouly well known for the main riff & electrified sound, have that lovely accoustic in the mix to fill it out. I think Blondie plays on JJF sometimes too. Keith riffs it up, Ronnie doodles around, and Blondie fills it out.

Anyway, it could be worse. Pino Palladino fills in for Daltry these days on that scream in Wont get fooled again.
24th June 2007 11:20 AM
Zack
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

Anyway, it could be worse. Pino Palladino fills in for Daltry these days on that scream in Wont get fooled again.

He makes a bass scream?
25th June 2007 07:56 AM
corgi37 No, he "helps" with the yell.
25th June 2007 09:41 AM
Highwire Rob Blondie seems to be an affable musician as well. In Pittsburgh '05 leaving the Renaissance Hotel for pre-show he walked through the crowd with smiles and handshakes. He and Lisa were so friendly to the fans and generous with their time before heading over to PNC Park.

It was certainly a sincere public relations gesture that was not lost on me. Keith and Ronnie, on the other hand, sprinted to their vans--BUT IN THEIR SITUATIONS I DON'T BLAME THEM!!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
25th June 2007 11:39 AM
Saint Sway spend some time listening closely to the tamborine playing on any of the Blondie-era Stones boots and you will find it impossible to go back and listen to those earlier and inferior tamborine-less boots like Brussells 73
25th June 2007 11:46 AM
BONOISLOVE Blndie are a nice group from the late seventies. Were they punk?, were they unfunny (NOT)?, did the suck? YOU DECIDE.

Oh, I'm sorry... you weren't writing about THIS particular "Blondie", it seems...
25th June 2007 11:50 AM
Saint Sway every summer the "BLONDIE CHAPIN FAN CLUB" gathers at a low budget motel in Wildwood New Jersey and performs a tamborine tribute to their beloved hero

25th June 2007 11:53 AM
MrPleasant Hey, Saint Sway! I'm thinking about listening to some "metal bands". What are your best opinions about Metallica and Van Halen? Thanks!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)