ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Presley RnR (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th June 2004 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just 3

1. Little Sister
2. Hunk O' Burnin' Love
3. Jailhouse Rock
14th June 2004 01:51 PM
jb 1)American Trilogy
2)In the Ghetto
3)Suspicious Minds
4)Let me Be there
5)Burning Love
14th June 2004 01:56 PM
Joey 1)American Trilogy
2)In the Ghetto
3)Suspicious Minds
4)Let me Be there
5)Burning Love
14th June 2004 02:04 PM
Bloozehound
1)That's All Right
2)Don't Be Cruel
3)Hound Dog
4)All Shook Up
5)Blue Moon of Kentucky
7)Burning Love
6)Mystery Train
8)In the Ghetto
9)Suspicious Minds
10)It's Now or Never

14th June 2004 02:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Now let me get this straight. Burning Love & Hunk Of Burning Love are 2 different songs. I learned that the hard way. I plugged the Hunk of BL into the juke box one night and got some sappy song which I think was Burning Love.
14th June 2004 03:42 PM
Gazza The top 3 rarely change for me. the rest varies..

1) Suspicious Minds
2) Stranger In My Home Town
3) Reconsider Baby
4) Promised Land
5) Mystery Train
6) If I Can Dream
7) A Fool Such as I
8) Trouble/Guitar Man (from NBC Special '68)
9) Merry Christmas Baby
10) Long Black Limousine
11) Hound Dog (from the Milton Berle Show, 1956. To see this slow bump 'n' grind version is to simply experience the personification of what rock 'n' roll IS in two and a half minutes)
12) In The Ghetto
13) Unchained Melody (live, 1977)
14) I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
15) A Big Hunk o' Love
16) Baby What You Want Me To Do (the long version left off the 1968 NBC special but released on "Memories : the '68 Comeback special")
17) One Night
18) Gentle On My Mind
19) You'll Think Of Me
20) Let Yourself Go (NBC Special version)
14th June 2004 04:43 PM
Bloozehound Wow! I was listening to Elvis all morning and heard alot of great stuff I hadn't heard in forever.

I love each era of his career, but I tend to prefer the early Sun records era rockabilly stuff, it's the rawest, but it's all good.
15th June 2004 08:15 AM
Honky Tonk Man 1 Jailhouse Rock
2 Hound Dog
3 Baby Let's Play House
4 Blue Suede Shoes
5 Little Sister
6 Good Rockin' Tonight
7 Your A Heartbreaker

Theres more, but I'm feeling a bit brain dead right now!

Alex
15th June 2004 01:11 PM
jb I also love his version of "My Way" and "Bridge over trobled waters"....truly inspirational....
15th June 2004 02:39 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I also love his version of "My Way" and "Bridge over trobled waters"....truly inspirational....

Don't forget his version of " Something " ... vital .....and coherent .
15th June 2004 02:45 PM
polksalad69 Polk Salad Annie
15th June 2004 02:53 PM
Joey

I also love his rendition of " Winter " ...........compelling .............illuminating ..............dare I say .....Infectious .

J.

16th June 2004 11:59 AM
jb Is there a good dvd out there ..I would like to see him in concert circa 73-77...
16th June 2004 12:06 PM
Gazza Aloha from hawaii is from 14 january 1973. the show that he did the night before (as a back up for the satellite show)was also taped and was released on video some years ago. I presume its on DVD too.

The Elvis On Tour film from mid 1972 is pretty good too.

Theres nothing "official" in concert from after "Aloha from hawaii". the "Elvis In Concert" CBS special, taped in Rapid City and Omaha in June 1977 and screened posthumously was never officially released on video or DVD, although theres bootleg copies. Its pretty harrowing to watch though, at times as he died 8 weeks later.
16th June 2004 12:51 PM
jb Thanks gazza...whenever they run a special, they have some great footoage from some of those 70's performances...
16th June 2004 01:08 PM
The_Worst "Suspicious Minds" is my favorite Elvis song but I can't believe no one has mentioned one of his all-time best songs "VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!"

Now that is a cool tune!!!
16th June 2004 01:09 PM
jb
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
"Suspicious Minds" is my favorite Elvis song but I can't believe no one has mentioned one of his all-time best songs "VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!"

Now that is a cool tune!!!

16th June 2004 01:20 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Aloha from hawaii is from 14 january 1973. the show that he did the night before (as a back up for the satellite show)was also taped and was released on video some years ago. I presume its on DVD too.

The Elvis On Tour film from mid 1972 is pretty good too.

Theres nothing "official" in concert from after "Aloha from hawaii". the "Elvis In Concert" CBS special, taped in Rapid City and Omaha in June 1977 and screened posthumously was never officially released on video or DVD, although theres bootleg copies. Its pretty harrowing to watch though, at times as he died 8 weeks later.

"Aloha From Hawaii" is fantastic...I get chilled when I watch him due to "My Way" & "American Trilogy"

JUST GREAT STUFF!!!
16th June 2004 01:23 PM
jb I said the same thing..I cried during AT and My Way...Elvis was a true patriot and honary member of the F.B.I.
16th June 2004 03:14 PM
JaggaRichards On June 22 the '68 Special and Aloha From Hawaii will be reissued on DVD-with mucho extra footage from both shows!!
16th June 2004 03:18 PM
jb OMG!!!http://emergencydispatch.tvheaven.com/ That's great news!!!
16th June 2004 03:34 PM
DG81 Best RnR Elvis IMO from the 70's:

1) Polk Salad Annie (Arrangement changed quite a bit from 1970 -1977, but kicks-ass from any year really)
2) Promised Land (1973)
3) Patch It Up (1970)
4) Burning Love
5) See See Rider (1970)
6) Never Been To Spain (1972)
7) T.R.O.U.B.L.E. (1975)
8) If You Talk In Your Sleep (1973) (not really RnR but still great)
9) Way Down (take 2) (1976)
10) I Washed My Hands In Muddy water (1970)
16th June 2004 04:20 PM
Nasty Habits This is the best live Elvis I have ever seen.

16th June 2004 08:43 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
This is the best live Elvis I have ever seen.

One Night With You will be included in this remastered '68 Special DVD!!
16th June 2004 08:59 PM
Gazza Elvis : '68 Comeback Special & Aloha From Hawaii Deluxe Edition DVDs
BMG Strategic Marketing has partnered with Elvis Presley Enterprises to distribute two comprehensive deluxe DVD box sets chronicling two of Elvis Presley’s most memorable television appearances. The DVDs “ELVIS: ’68 Comeback Special - Deluxe Edition DVD” and “ELVIS, Aloha from Hawaii - Deluxe Edition DVD” feature all the previously released material and an abundance of previously unreleased footage.

The “ELVIS: ’68 Comeback Special - Deluxe Edition DVD” is a three-disc set featuring all the material shot for Elvis Presley’s 1968 television special, which is considered one of rock ‘n’ roll’s greatest moments on television and one of the most magical and important moments of Elvis’s career. The original broadcast version of the special is included for historical context. The DVD set features the two complete jam session concerts and the two complete solo concerts – all with Elvis in black leather – that were shot as the resource for the heart of the original broadcast. These four concerts have never been released in their entirety. Also included are all takes of the material shot for the original broadcast’s two big production numbers and for the show’s opening and closing segments. Over half of the seven hours of material on this set is previously unreleased. The material is presented with newly re-mastered sound and picture.

“ELVIS, Aloha from Hawaii - Deluxe Edition DVD” is a two-disc set featuring all the performance material formally shot in conjunction with Elvis’s “Aloha from Hawaii” television special – an historic concert event seen in more than 40 countries by 1.5 billion people when it initially aired in 1973. The original American broadcast version of the show is included for historical context. The DVD set features the complete concert that was adapted for that special and the complete rehearsal concert performed two days before. Both concerts are presented with newly re-mastered sound and picture and are being released in their complete, uncut form for the first time. Also included is the raw, uncut footage shot for the “Elvis arrives” sequence of the special’s original opening and the raw, uncut performance footage of songs recorded for the after-show session that Elvis taped as a resource of extra material for the American broadcast.

'' Elvis 68 Comeback Special '' Deluxe Edition DVD and '' Elvis, Aloha from Hawaii '' Deluxe Edtion DVD will be released in North America on June 22. Dates vary in other territories of the world, depending upon the plans of the BMG marketing teams in those areas. Here is a full rundown from BMG of the release dates as they now stand :

Australia (July 5) ; Belgium (June 21) ; Canada (June 22) ; Chile (June 30) ; Czech Rep (June 21) ; France (June 21) ; Germany (June 21) ; Ireland (July 2) ; Italy (June 21) ; Japan (Aug 16) ; Korea (June 24) ; Mexico (June 27) ; Netherlands (June 21) ; Poland (June 28) ; Portugal (June 28) ; South Africa (June 28) ; Sweden (June 21) ; Switzerland (June 21) ; Taiwan (July 2) ; Thailand (July 6) ; United Kingdom (July 5) ; United States (June 22)

The scheduled release date for all other European markets June 21. The scheduled release date for all ll other Asian and Latin American markets is on or before July 5.

The dates in a few places outside North America could change because promotional campaign plans by the BMG marketing teams in those areas continue to evolve and the release date is tied to those plans.

source : http://www.elvis-collectors.com/
17th June 2004 01:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I'm a little more partial to the "comeback special" that "aloha". But whatever. I remember spending 10-15 years dissing Elvis. When I saw that CS in later years, it was like an epiphany. The thing is Elvis made it look so fucking easy. Just him and a guitar...really.
17th June 2004 01:44 PM
F505 I like 'A little less conversation a little more action please' in the Junkie XL version. Great lyrics too.
17th June 2004 02:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
17th June 2004 02:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
17th June 2004 03:23 PM
Bloozehound This Elvis : '68 Comeback Special & Aloha From Hawaii Deluxe Edition DVD sounds like the bomb.

Amazon has it priced for $34.99, not too bad for 3 DVD's of material.
Page: 1 2