ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wilburys set to travel again Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th June 2007 03:25 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Martha wrote:

Hey Erik!

It hasn't gone out yet (tomorrow)....(I don't have a car) but I have my fingers crossed it will be something you don't have....that you'll love. :-)

xxoo,
Martha

Aha, well that's certainly way too much,
I meant that I hoped the package you recieved was enjoyable...! Woo, can't wait for this thing, of course you didn't have to...god bless !
Erik
14th June 2007 03:30 PM
Martha
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:

Aha, well that's certainly way too much,
I meant that I hoped the package you recieved was enjoyable...! Woo, can't wait for this thing, of course you didn't have to...god bless !
Erik

Oh, LOL sorry I didn't get that right. I know I don't "have to"...I WANT to....sending music to people brings me joy! I LOVE what you sent....thank you very kindly! ;-)

xxoo,
Martha
15th June 2007 01:38 PM
_Boomy_ I bought this set while I picked up "The Biggest Bang".

I only listened to "Volume 1", so I'm looking forward to watching the DVD.
16th June 2007 09:59 AM
guitarman53
16th June 2007 01:16 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:

No doubt, it's a really really good album
Nevertheless I have to agree with Gazza, that Vol 1 is a more complete album - there are a few fillers on Vol 3, still I'd rate it pretty high
There seems to be a lot of people who love the Wilburys albums, but don't care at all for Dylan, Orbison, Harrison or Petty's other works....I'm not sure why, but I've noticed that

I do really like the first album. Especially Orbison’s vocals on Not Alone Anymore. The album just sounds a little dated to me though.

In regard to your point about people liking the Wilbury's but not their solo works, I think you have to remember that they are not the same thing. What you are hearing on these two records is a group working closely together in both recording and writing. At least that is the impression I have. What they created together isn't the same as what they create individually.

On the other hand, with a project such as the Travelling Wilbury's and the member’s huge reputations and followings, you'd perhaps think that they were a band that'd appeal hugely to those who were already fans of the members. You'd at least think they were the people who'd pay the most attention.

16th June 2007 01:46 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I do really like the first album. Especially Orbison’s vocals on Not Alone Anymore. The album just sounds a little dated to me though.

In regard to your point about people liking the Wilbury's but not their solo works, I think you have to remember that they are not the same thing. What you are hearing on these two records is a group working closely together in both recording and writing. At least that is the impression I have. What they created together isn't the same as what they create individually.

On the other hand, with a project such as the Travelling Wilbury's and the member’s huge reputations and followings, you'd perhaps think that they were a band that'd appeal hugely to those who were already fans of the members. You'd at least think they were the people who'd pay the most attention.

Yes you may be right,
but.....I get the impression that the songs or songparts on the album are written for and by one of the artists. You got a typical Dylan part, a typical Orbison part - both typical in the lyrics and typical in the choice of chords/notes. Handle With Care is a prime-example of such a "song builded up in parts", and Congratulations is only Bob Dylan..
THere's a few exceptions...those funny songs - "Wilbury Twist" - and also some of the rockers "She's My Baby" - those seems like their written by the whole Wilbury clan.
speaking of myself - it would take a lot of terrific reviews, for me to check out bands /projects if I didn't have any understanding for the artists previous works.
If I liked the project...I'd check out those artists career once again.
But anyway, this discussion might be pointless, as I can't possible know for sure if the thing I wrote on page 1 can be said as a general truth....it's just me who noticed this thing about 20-30 times. ANother reason could be simply that a big chunk of the people buy whichever albums that tops the saleslist, and the 5 artists in question haven't done that often the last 30 years - but Travelling WIlburys did, where I live at least.
"Volume 1" might be a bit dated, but not compared to most albums from 1988, lol
17th June 2007 10:18 AM
Honky Tonk Man Good post Erik and fair enough points. I think I was just rambling a bit yesterday. At the end of the day, bioth are excellent and everyone who apreciates these guys music, should check them out. It's absoloutley ridiculous, but I haven't checked out the DVD yet!
17th June 2007 10:30 AM
Erik_Snow No worries, HonkyTonkMan, I'm also rambling here,
will pick up the new DVD/CD box next week cheers
17th June 2007 10:55 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:

Yes you may be right,
but.....I get the impression that the songs or songparts on the album are written for and by one of the artists. You got a typical Dylan part, a typical Orbison part - both typical in the lyrics and typical in the choice of chords/notes. Handle With Care is a prime-example of such a "song builded up in parts", and Congratulations is only Bob Dylan..
THere's a few exceptions...those funny songs - "Wilbury Twist" - and also some of the rockers "She's My Baby" - those seems like their written by the whole Wilbury clan.
speaking of myself - it would take a lot of terrific reviews, for me to check out bands /projects if I didn't have any understanding for the artists previous works.
If I liked the project...I'd check out those artists career once again.
But anyway, this discussion might be pointless, as I can't possible know for sure if the thing I wrote on page 1 can be said as a general truth....it's just me who noticed this thing about 20-30 times. ANother reason could be simply that a big chunk of the people buy whichever albums that tops the saleslist, and the 5 artists in question haven't done that often the last 30 years - but Travelling WIlburys did, where I live at least.
"Volume 1" might be a bit dated, but not compared to most albums from 1988, lol

According to Petty, George Harrison basically ran the show during the recording sessions. He'd have everyone sort of "audition" their way through the whole song, and then decide who best suited each part.
17th June 2007 11:30 AM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

According to Petty, George Harrison basically ran the show during the recording sessions. He'd have everyone sort of "audition" their way through the whole song, and then decide who best suited each part.

OK thanks yes it makes sense - George seems to be the most organized and productive guy of the lot
Handle With Care sounds like one of them auditions, each of the Wilburys gets to give George a reply
17th June 2007 05:32 PM
Gazza Another #1 for Bobby!!!

Wilburys are UK album number one

US singer-songwriter Bob Dylan was a member of the Traveling Wilburys

The Traveling Wilburys made a return to the charts as the supergroup scored a number one UK album with a collection of their greatest hits.

The band - which included Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Bob Dylan - came together in 1988 to produce two albums.

Bon Jovi also scored a high new entry at two with Lost Highway, while the Police's greatest hits album reached number three.

Barbadian singer Rihanna stayed at the top of the singles chart with Umbrella.

"Here's to George, Roy and the Boys, my favourite guys. Congratulations Wilburys," Olivia Harrison, George Harrison's wife, said about the Wilbury's collection reaching number one.

Reality TV hit

Rihanna held off a challenge from the White Stripes with their latest single Icky Thump, which moved from 13 to two.

Enrique Iglesias, Kelly Rowland and Mutya Buena were also in the top five.

New entries in the singles chart included Kelly Clarkson with Never Again at nine, The Holloways with Generator at 14 and Marillion's Thankyou Whoever You Are at 15.

Lee Mead, the winner of the BBC's talent show Any Dream Will Do, saw his version of the song from the Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat musical reach number 18 on downloads alone.

The song will go on general release on Monday, with profits going to Children in Need.

www.bbc.co.uk
17th June 2007 05:34 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Bon Jovi also scored a high new entry at two with Lost Highway,

In the context, this can't be goog.
17th June 2007 05:39 PM
Gazza Considering the fact that theyre playing the UK in about two weeks and the Wilburys album is merely a reissue of two albums from almost twenty years ago, its not bad at all!
17th June 2007 05:44 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Considering the fact that theyre playing the UK in about two weeks and the Wilburys album is merely a reissue of two albums from almost twenty years ago, its not bad at all!

Yeah, I was just fooling.
18th June 2007 09:48 PM
Soldatti More than 110.000 copies sold during the first week in U.K, an impressive number. The set could debut in the top 10 in U.S too.

The Vol. 1 is fantastic.
18th June 2007 10:12 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
More than 110.000 copies sold during the first week in U.K, an impressive number. The set could debut in the top 10 in U.S too.

The Vol. 1 is fantastic.

110,000?! Holy crap. Take note, and weep, Starbucks Coffee.
18th June 2007 11:28 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
More than 110.000 copies sold during the first week in U.K, an impressive number. The set could debut in the top 10 in U.S too.

The Vol. 1 is fantastic.

Would you then multiply it by three because of the three disc set? Or would you divide it by three to get the actual copies sold?
19th June 2007 12:42 AM
Paul_McCartney George really wanted me in the Wilburys instead of Dylan. I was too busy in the studio at the time, however, recording "Flowers in the Dirt".

By the way, make sure to check out my new album, Memory Almost Full, either on Itunes or at your local Starbuck's! It really is the best Macca in years.
19th June 2007 03:23 AM
EELPIE
quote:
It really is the best Macca in years.

19th June 2007 07:38 PM
Soldatti
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

Would you then multiply it by three because of the three disc set? Or would you divide it by three to get the actual copies sold?

110,000 is the numbers of sets sold, it would be more than 330,000 CD's counting each one.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)