ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Ray Charles Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th June 2004 08:49 AM
JaggaRichards sad news indeed
11th June 2004 10:12 PM
Prodigal Son Truly a huge loss for rock n' roll, music and the world in general. Much the same as the death of Johnny Cash earlier in the year but Brother Ray was even more influential, inventive and multi-talented. That soulful voice too. He just flowed music. And he will be missed by everyone for sure.
12th June 2004 08:18 AM
Monkey Woman An hommage to the regretted Ray Charles with Stones mention:

From BBC.co.uk
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3797569.stm

American Pie singer Don McLean praised the strength of character Charles displayed during his illness.

"You know what I love about people like him is that they gave every single ounce of energy to us back," he said.

"They never said 'I don't feel well' or 'I can't make the plane' or 'you know, I don't want to do this' or 'I don't want to do that'.

"It's like Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald, like Peggy Lee, like all those people, even like Mick Jagger who's out there all the time - giving, giving, giving - that's what it's all about."
12th June 2004 09:04 AM
Jaxx some dead pool for 2004--tony randall, ronald reagan, ray charles. this is a nice tribute article to ray charles i found this morning:

Tributes pour in for Ray Charles

Charles died in his Beverly Hills home of liver disease
Tributes have been paid to musician Ray Charles, who has died at the age of 73.
Soul legend Stevie Wonder called Charles an "incredible musician, singer, writer and a great man" whose life should be celebrated.

Michael Jackson said he was sad to hear of the death of his friend, calling him an "American treasure".

He said: "His music is timeless, his contribution to the music industry unequalled, unparalleled." Charles died of acute liver disease on Thursday.

Jackson added: "He paved the way for so many of us, and I will forever remember him in my heart."

You know what I love about people like him is that they gave every single ounce of energy to us back

Don McLean
And Stevie Wonder also said: "He was just incredible because he was a great musician, he was a genius in the true meaning of the word genius. He was able to bring various genres of music together."

Former Manfred Mann singer Paul Jones told BBC News Online Charles was a big influence on the band in its formative days.

Jones - who sang 1960s hits such as Pretty Flamingo and Do Wah Diddy Diddy - said: "In common with all the true greats, he committed his whole personality into the performance of the song.

"He wrote some fantastic things, but his brilliance also comes through in his interpretation of pop songs and standards."

American Pie singer Don McLean praised the strength of character Charles displayed during his illness.

"You know what I love about people like him is that they gave every single ounce of energy to us back," he said.

"They never said 'I don't feel well' or 'I can't make the plane' or 'you know, I don't want to do this' or 'I don't want to do that'.

It had a lot to do with me choosing this profession and I spent a lifetime emulating Ray Charles

Michael McDonald
Doobie Brothers
"It's like Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald, like Peggy Lee, like all those people, even like Mick Jagger who's out there all the time - giving, giving, giving - that's what it's all about." Neil Sedaka described Charles as "my idol".

"I bought all of the R&B records and songs," he said. "I am shaken by it... he was a great spokesperson not only for black America but for all of America."

Former Doobie Brothers singer Michael McDonald reminisced about his memories of listening to Charles' music.

"For me personally, my earliest, some of my fondest memories are before I could even see over the dashboard of my father's Ford," McDonald said.

"He and I would crank the radio every time Ray Charles came on - Born to Lose and I Can't Stop Loving You and all of Ray's stuff - it seemed that the whole world would fill up with Ray Charles in that old Ford and it was for me such an incredible inspiration.

You are going to hear his records play when we are all old and grey

Hal David
Bacharach and David
"It had a lot to do with me choosing this profession and I spent a lifetime emulating Ray Charles, just trying to get anywhere close to that feeling I got when I listened to his music as a kid."

Lyricist Hal David, of Bacharach and David, called Charles one of the "great interpreters", saying "you are going to hear his records play when we are all old and grey".

Motown singer and composer Barrett Strong added: "He was great and very innovative.

"I used to try to sing like him when I was a kid coming up. As a matter of fact, the first song that I recorded as an artist, Money, That's What I Want, that was my rendition of singing like Ray Charles."

'Shocking'

Comedian and actor Cedric the Entertainer spoke of seeing Charles only weeks before his death at an awards ceremony.

"It was shocking news. We were just with Ray at the Image Awards a couple of months ago and he was sickly then. It's sad to know that he has passed," he said.

Charles was "one of the great entertainers and songwriters of our time, just a really spirited individual", he said.

"It is just really a loss to have him pass on but he definitely lived a full life and left us a lot to remember him by."

12th June 2004 06:39 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Both gone, both together now and then

12th June 2004 06:41 PM
gypsy I know this will sound weird, but the night before Ray died, I was singing "You Don't Know Me" in the shower. I don't know why I thought of him, but he was on my mind...so when I saw his picture as the header here w/ the news that he died, I was shocked. Just one of those little "ESP"-type moments...wanted to share with you all.
13th June 2004 09:39 PM
mac_daddy did you know that Ray Charles once received a speeding ticket..?

He was driving, and had a friend in the passenger seat telling him what was up. They were on the street where Ray lived, in the Leimert Park area of Los Angeles.
14th June 2004 10:17 AM
not bound to please
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

They honored him tonight at the Chicago Blues Fest. He played opening night 6 years ago. Is that where you saw him?

Yeah. How was Bluesfest? I was going to go but was out of town. How was Hubert? I read in the Tribune there were only a few dozen people because of the storms. Was that true? I hate the Petrillo bandshell anyway. The stage is way too far from the seats. The small stages are much better. When you're in front you can see if they have spinach stuck in their teeth.

14th June 2004 12:56 PM
Monkeytonkman Much love - seems like a beautiful human being. It's our loss brothers and sisters.
15th June 2004 06:00 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I know this will sound weird, but the night before Ray died, I was singing "You Don't Know Me" in the shower. I don't know why I thought of him, but he was on my mind...so when I saw his picture as the header here w/ the news that he died, I was shocked. Just one of those little "ESP"-type moments...wanted to share with you all.

Thanks ....

Er, who else do you think of in the shower ?

Developing ...........................
15th June 2004 10:29 PM
glencar "A Song For You" is sublime.
16th June 2004 01:56 AM
gypsy well, joey, i usually think of bobby ewing while in the shower. doesn't everybody?
Page: 1 2