ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Stade Gerland, Lyon 18th June 2007
© Jeep and Stalemate2006!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Greatest Balled Ever? Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th June 2007 01:34 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
Alison by Elvis Costello and It Makes No Difference by The Band. Two songs that steer clear of ballad cliches but paint a vivid picture of lost love and longing. Great stuff. God Only Knows by the Beach Boys is an ace tune, too.

You named two of my favorites right there.
There are just too many great ballads out there.
I don't think I could ever pick a "greatest."
5th June 2007 02:18 AM
pdog Joey Ramone wrote a few cool ballads, some pretty good stuff IMO... He had a good voice for love songs about pain and misery...
G n' R's Sweet Child has never grown old... If I hear that tune, I always still get lost in the lyrics... and the music is good, and catchy... It was played out big time, but I always do a good job of avoiding that...
I'm going to kick myself for saying this... But Aeroshits Dream On is pretty cool for a ballad.
Excuse me, I'm gonna kick my own ass now!
5th June 2007 08:14 AM
speedfreakjive greatest video maybe, not greatest ballad IMO
5th June 2007 08:58 AM
Voodoo Scrounge

In my opinion.

But wait....look!

Even Jonny Depp's misses likes em.
5th June 2007 01:13 PM
texile
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
Alison by Elvis Costello and It Makes No Difference by The Band. Two songs that steer clear of ballad cliches but paint a vivid picture of lost love and longing. Great stuff. God Only Knows by the Beach Boys is an ace tune, too.

elvis' i want you gives me the chills....
as for god only knows - i don't think of it as a 'ballad' -

that's almost too common a term for it -
it's more like a hym, or a small symphony -
it may the greatest SONG ever written.
5th June 2007 01:14 PM
texile what about,
tangeld up in blue,
simple twist of fate...
5th June 2007 01:29 PM
Gazza Hard to mention ballads and ignore Sinatra

Summer Wind, All The Way and his version of Moon River (to name but three) give me goosebumps every time.
5th June 2007 02:22 PM
Bruno
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Hard to mention ballads and ignore Sinatra

Summer Wind, All The Way and his version of Moon River (to name but three) give me goosebumps every time.

Summer Wind, holy shit! You gotta love his last "summer wind" with that low tone!

That whole arrangement is a masterpiece. I recomend you to watch him singing it in Maracana, 1980. Amazing.
5th June 2007 02:24 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Hard to mention ballads and ignore Sinatra

Not to mention "Angel Eyes" and "One For My Baby." Sinatra could really nail 'em.
5th June 2007 02:39 PM
texile you really do have to go back to sinatra era for really GREAT ballads....
all those mercer, cole porter stuff is just magical.
what,about
in the wee small hours?
5th June 2007 02:44 PM
LadyJane As Time Goes By
Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
The Nearness of You.

*******************sigh************************

LJ.
5th June 2007 05:40 PM
TomL Ian Hunter.....BOY
5th June 2007 08:48 PM
MrPleasant Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
5th June 2007 11:22 PM
sweetcharmedlife Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Allright for now - Tom Petty
Standing in my light - Ian Hunter
6th June 2007 11:34 AM
Sir Stonesalot I fucking HATE ballads. H to da A to da T to da E.

I don't listen to music to feel wistful or whimsical. And I have a love/hate relationship with love right now. If I want melancholy, I turn to The Blues and drink my face off.

I listen to music for the adreneline boost. That means Rock n Roll. That means Blues. I get no adreneline from ballads. In fact, they are a buzzkiller.

So, my official response to the question this thread poses is:

None. They all suck.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
6th June 2007 02:26 PM
MrPleasant Oh hahahahahhahahhahah!!

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)