ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Getty Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: beach boys - falling in love again Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th May 2007 10:33 PM
texile any beach boys fans here?
i've been rediscovering this band and have concluded that they may be one of the greatest AMERICAN bands of all time.
sure, we have great rock and roll bands from the 60s on through the present - blues, rock, punk.. whatever,
but the beach boys were strictly mainstream and yet -
from their early innocent and chuck berry/duane eddy-influenced surfing songs to the sublime and almost ethereal pet sounds period -
what other american band has impacted everyone from the beatles/stones, bowie to john cale to sonic youth, john frusciante etc...?
and i love the fact that they looked like complete nerds.
any thoughts? grenades?

30th May 2007 10:53 PM
pdog I pretty much agree, they appeal to straight lace preppie types as well as scumbag rockers...
awesome band...
31st May 2007 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
texile wrote:
any beach boys fans here?

absolutely. Love 'em...
31st May 2007 10:59 AM
charlotte oh yeah...remembering playing the old 45 Help me Rhonda help help me Rhonda...many times!!!

also, the hard rock version of the BB-The Dave Clark Five
31st May 2007 02:20 PM
cabledogg2
quote:
charlotte wrote:
oh yeah...remembering playing the old 45 Help me Rhonda help help me Rhonda...many times!!!

Are we talkin' bout the "Ferry Cross the Mersey" DC5 not really considered hard rock...........
31st May 2007 02:30 PM
texile
quote:
charlotte wrote:
oh yeah...remembering playing the old 45 Help me Rhonda help help me Rhonda...many times!!!

yeah, the dc5 had some good singles and they had a great sound,
stuff like glad all over is great rock and roll.
31st May 2007 04:33 PM
Prodigal Son The Beach Boys were not up to the level of the Stones and Beatles obviously and that's cause their music was often too trendy and/or their albums were too packed with filler. But when your main songwriter is leaned on so much and he's not quite right in the head, what can you do? They were a top notch singles band started crafting great LPs too by 1965. And then of course there's the masterful Pet Sounds, which is almost a modern day pop version of a symphonic suite. Just superb! Then Brian lost it after Smile (which I'd say also would've been great based on outtakes and Brian's own Smile LP he put out in '04).

Their career was a bit patchy up through the early 70s and thanks to their resurgence through the smash hit success of the Endless Summer compilation, they became an oldies act. That insane prick Mike Love geared them away from new, bold material into the oldies circuit which they have thrived on since in spite of brief flurries from Brian, Carl's artistic muse and several lineup changes. Even the new tunes were made to sound like hollow takes on their classic surf sound. Since splitting with Al Jardine and relegating it to a 2 person act (Love and Bruce Johnston), the Beach Boys as a functioning band have ceased to be. This can also be attributed to the commercial dwindling of their sales that ended their recording career by 1992 after a string of terrible mainstream albums since the late 70s.

They were a band to watch even when they stumbled in their unpopular days from 1967-73. Some of their greatest stuff comes from this period, even if their only great LP in my view was Sunflower. Dennis was a total wildman who obviously couldn't keep living in his drug-induced and severely alcoholic haze but he had some of the Wilson Bros. ability of songwriting and singing. His solo album I hear is a good one and often his songs would be a highlight of a Beach Boys album. Sunflower is a good example as "Slip on Through," "It's About Time" and "Forever" are 3 of my top 5 fave tracks from it. Here's how I look at their 1965-77 days as a band focused on albums.

Today: A-
Summer Days (And Summer Nights): A-
Beach Boys Party: B+
Pet Sounds: A+
Smiley Smile: C (without "Good Vibrations" this is an awful album, sorry but these stripped down versions of Smile songs are nothing but tranquil boring psychedelic claptrap).
Wild Honey: A (Not the best production but a very likeable work. Excellent R&B-flavoured album with some real catchy songs for AM radio like "Darlin" and "Aren't You Glad" as well as a few glimpses of Smile/Pet Sounds glory like "Let the Wind Blow" and "Country Air").
Friends: C+ (great title track, not much else)
20/20: B- (Too inconsistent even with a repackaging including the wonderful "Our Prayer," "Cabinessence" and "Break Away.")
Sunflower: A (What a gorgeous LP that is rewarding on every tune, well except Bruce Johnston's schlocky "Tears in the Morning." Brian still had some good work left in him but Dennis and Carl shine just as brightly. "Forever" is Dennis' crowning acheivement but he brings a rock edge to his other tunes and "Our Sweet Love" has one of those weirdly-unique-yet-beautiful melodies only Brian Wilson could conjured up).
Surf's up: B (A lot of hippy dippy shit thanks to new eco-conscious manager Jack Reilly. Basically the four tracks of quality-"Long Promised Road," "Feel Flows," "Til I Die" and "Surf's up"- are the only good ones while the rest are average or mediocre).
Carl and the Passions-So Tough: C+
Holland: C+ ("Sail on Sailor" is the only moment of excellence for me)

When you review the band you get this evaluation from me:
Brian Wilson-What can you say? He was a pop genius but drugs and mental illness and then Eugene Landy's vice-like control took all the musical vision and flushed it away. What we're left with is his current shell of his former self... but the most important thing is that he is alive and healthy). His singing is not so special any more too thanks to his brain damage, anxieties and his chain-smoking throughout the 70s and early 80s.

Carl-A fine writer in his own right but perhaps the best singer of all. He could hit Brian's range if he tried but delivered more warmth and soul behind it. A truly classic voice.

Dennis-Good singer as well, but not much of a drummer. He had the potential but his hard living ruined it and he died before his 40th birthday as a result.

Al Jardine-A pretty marginal figure in the long run but he did have a distinctive voice that was still hard to tell apart from the Wilsons. He mostly enjoyed folk stuff and never really wrote any classic BB tune.

Bruce Johnston-I don't like much of his stuff because the guy just reminded me of some cornball songwriter and performer ala Mac Davis or Barry Manilow. Fitting that his biggest hit, "I Write the Songs," was not for the Beach Boys but for Manilow and it came during his 7-year abscense from the group.

Mike Love-He had some memorable lines as a lyricist but he's pretty much an inept songwriter. Not a great singer, didn't play an instrument (rudimentary sax doesn't count) and then steered them into the sad direction throughout the 70s and 80s. Plus he's a human piece of trash from various accounts. Least talented Beach Boy? Yes, if you don't include Bruce Johnston.

p.s. David Marks, John Stamos, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Faatar don't really count I would say.

[Edited by Prodigal Son]
31st May 2007 04:53 PM
Nasty Habits "Ferry Across the Mercy" is Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Dave Clark Five were pretty hard rock. "Any Way You Want It", "Glad All Over" and "Bits and Pieces" STOMP.

The Beach Boys, of course, were brilliant, all the way through the 60s.

Prodigal Son, I buy most of your ratings but I think that you underrate Smiley Smile ("Gettin' Hungry" is one of my fave later period Beach Boys tunes and way ahead of its time) slightly. And Beach Boys' Party is a TOTAL A+!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
31st May 2007 05:11 PM
texile pretty fair assessment prodigal son,
i tend to agree and that's the real downfall of the band,
they did rely on the genius of brian, who was, sadly, completely NOT meant for this world.
and that ubiquitous eugene character was like a colonel parker figure to me....
as for love, yeah he's a prick, but i didn't realize he was that instrumental in many of those old songs, like wouldn't it be nice etc..
as for rest that don't count, i agree and i don't think they're meant to count...
even stamos said he's just grateful he can PRETEND to be a rock star every once in a while.
and honestly, their artistic demise can paralell most great bands.
31st May 2007 05:48 PM
cabledogg2

"Ferry Across the Mercy" is Gerry and the Pacemakers"

Right you are sir got my bands mixed up..........
31st May 2007 06:26 PM
fireontheplatter my brother bought me a copy of 'endless summer' back awhile ago for x mas. it didn't leave the turntable for ages.
i don't reall listen to them much these days.
i think brian wilson did a 2-3 song set onec just a couple three yeas ago to help open up the daytona 500...it was pretty cool..he was a bit drunk and out of tune and time..but still, it is hard to diss good ol drunken brian.

everybody say ow.
31st May 2007 09:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:
any beach boys fans here?
i've been rediscovering this band and have concluded that they may be one of the greatest AMERICAN bands of all time.
sure, we have great rock and roll bands from the 60s on through the present - blues, rock, punk.. whatever,
but the beach boys were strictly mainstream and yet -
from their early innocent and chuck berry/duane eddy-influenced surfing songs to the sublime and almost ethereal pet sounds period -
what other american band has impacted everyone from the beatles/stones, bowie to john cale to sonic youth, john frusciante etc...?
and i love the fact that they looked like complete nerds.
any thoughts? grenades?

The Beach Boys were great....musically. But they lacked the critical factor of kool. No fly in the ointment.
31st May 2007 09:24 PM
stonedinaustralia hi tex

for me and american artists i love the everlys - their influence and their greatness now seems almost entirely forgotten - the debt owed by keith to don everly is criminally over-looked (or worse, entirely unrecognized) even among so called hard core fans

you tube some of their stuff -when you see don swaggering around playing open tunings with his capo etc - and of course that "high lonesome" harmony vocal tone - well the similarities are obvious

anyway,influence on the stones or not they are truly magnificent on their own terms

31st May 2007 09:56 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hi tex

for me and american artists i love the everlys - their influence and their greatness now seems almost entirely forgotten - the debt owed by keith to don everly is criminally over-looked (or worse, entirely unrecognized) even among so called hard core fans

The Everley Bros are great. No doubt about it. Don't worry, when the future historians finally anyalize things correctly, The Everley's will get their due. The Beach Boys were Great but The Everley Brothers are Gods. Mark it down....you read it here on Rocks Off...June 2007.
31st May 2007 10:31 PM
texile
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The Everley Bros are great. No doubt about it. Don't worry, when the future historians finally anyalize things correctly, The Everley's will get their due. The Beach Boys were Great but The Everley Brothers are Gods. Mark it down....you read it here on Rocks Off...June 2007.

definately, and they were from texas so obviously they were the real shit

yes, that is true, the bb seemed hopelessly straight and suburban,
but that's one of the things i loved about them...
and that's the irony of their diverse influence.
31st May 2007 10:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:
definately, and they were from texas so obviously they were the real shit

Rock n Roll is southern, there's no doubt about that. Is Texas really big? That's what I've heard, but I've only been there once.
31st May 2007 11:05 PM
texile texas is wide....
is so big that when its monday in beaumont, it's tuesday in el paso...or something like that.
it takes forever to get the fuck out by car.
el paso is on the other side of the planet from where i live.
if i drive to el paso, that's about half way, distance-wise, to L A.

i thought you were from texas, ten thousand....
31st May 2007 11:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:
i thought you were from texas, ten thousand....

Texas??? Hell no I'm from Maine. I thought every one knew that. Maine is neither big nor small....but it is one spooky fucking place. Stephen King is from Maine and I don't think thats any accident. They got more Ghosts and paranormal activities up here than Carters got little live pills. But, unlike Texas, we've never had a world class rock n roll band and thats a damn shame.
31st May 2007 11:35 PM
Zack Beach Boys are one of my favorite bands ever. From 1963-66, Brian Wilson couldn't be touched. Then it all went very very bad.
31st May 2007 11:42 PM
texile why the fuck did i think you were texas?
i have no idea......
who else here is from texas?
yes, maine is spooky and ghostly, but here -
the creeps are in full view.
and yes, i sometimes pity those of you from the musically anemic states.
31st May 2007 11:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
texile wrote:
why the fuck did i think you were texas?
i have no idea......
who else here is from texas?
yes, maine is spooky and ghostly, but here -
the creeps are in full view.
and yes, i sometimes pity those of you from the musically anemic states.

Well crunch the numbers. We haven't even hit 2 million people yet.
1st June 2007 12:37 AM
mojoman i dig their take............

We come on the sloop john b
My grandfather and me
Around nassau town we did roam
Drinking all night
Got into a fight
Well I feel so broke up
I want to go home

So hoist up the john bs sail
See how the mainsail sets
Call for the captain ashore
Let me go home, let me go home
I wanna go home, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up
I wanna go home

The first mate he got drunk
And broke in the capns trunk
The constable had to come and take him away
Sheriff john stone
Why dont you leave me alone, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up I wanna go home

I wanna go home, let me go home
Why dont you let me go home
(hoist up the john bs sail)
Hoist up the john b
I feel so broke up I wanna go home
Let me go home

The poor cook he caught the fits
And threw away all my grits
And then he took and he ate up all of my corn
Let me go home
Why dont they let me go home
This is the worst trip Ive ever been on

I wanna go home, let me go home
Why dont you let me go home
1st June 2007 01:06 AM
texile what abut the two-sided single of wouldn't it be nice/god only knows?
heaven on a 45.....
absolute perfection.
1st June 2007 02:15 AM
Zack I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby was another of the greatest two-sided singles ever.

1st June 2007 03:11 PM
Gazza Good critique, PS..I'll add a few things

Smiley Smile: C (without "Good Vibrations" this is an awful album, sorry but these stripped down versions of Smile songs are nothing but tranquil boring psychedelic claptrap).

You dont rate 'Heroes and Villains'? One of the greatest singles ever made by anyone IMO. That opening line is an absolute killer.

Sunflower: A (What a gorgeous LP that is rewarding on every tune, well except Bruce Johnston's schlocky "Tears in the Morning." Brian still had some good work left in him but Dennis and Carl shine just as brightly. "Forever" is Dennis' crowning acheivement but he brings a rock edge to his other tunes and "Our Sweet Love" has one of those weirdly-unique-yet-beautiful melodies only Brian Wilson could conjured up).

One of the most underrated albums by a classic band ever made. terrific.

I think this one is very patchy, but it has some really nice songs. Especially Dennis' pair of 'Make it Good' and 'Cuddle Up'

Personally, I'd rate the song "California" as one of the best four or five songs they ever did. Cant decide whether I prefer the mix on the album or the one on the single. The harmonies are unbelievable and if you cant sing along to that chorus, then you dont have a pulse. 'Trader' is good too. 'Sail on Sailor' is a gem. Blondie Chaplin hates it, so I'm told. Go figure

And yes, Dennis' solo album "Pacific Ocean Blue" is a little gem. 'Farewell My Friend' is a beautiful track. It was a perfect choice to be played at his funeral..

Al Jardine-A pretty marginal figure in the long run but he did have a distinctive voice that was still hard to tell apart from the Wilsons. He mostly enjoyed folk stuff and never really wrote any classic BB tune.

Didnt he write 'Lady Lynda' ? I think thats a terrific song.

[Edited by Gazza]
1st June 2007 03:48 PM
MrPleasant I love (Dennis Wilson's) Pacific Ocean Blue. Depressing and beautiful.

Brian loved (loves?) it too: he paraphrased "River Song" in his solo debut album. When he wasn't too busy smoking marijuana.

1st June 2007 07:32 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
"Ferry Across the Mercy" is Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Dave Clark Five were pretty hard rock. "Any Way You Want It", "Glad All Over" and "Bits and Pieces" STOMP.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

I would like to apologise on behalf of myself and England for forcing such tripe on a fine nation. I am utterly, utterly sorry. Oh, and Herman's Hermits too!
1st June 2007 07:48 PM
GhostofBrianJones I NEVER thought anyone on here liked the Beach Boys. I have loved them
since they came out with Surfin USA when I was about 14. They are wonderful
and their songs are so full of different emotions, like Good Vibrations,
Dance, Dance, Dance, Little Deuce Coupe, Fun, Fun, Fun, and all the rest.
I listen to them all the time, along with the Stones of course. I know I must
have all if not most of their songs.

DC5 were excellent. Good R&B songs.

I loved Herman's Hermits too, especially Keith Hopwood. They eased my
teenage angst when not listening to the Rolling Stones.
[Edited by GhostofBrianJones]
1st June 2007 09:47 PM
texile any musicians here?
has anyone ever tried to figure out the chords to god only knows on guitar...
i'm open to suggestions.
2nd June 2007 12:21 AM
time is on my side
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
The Beach Boys were not up to the level of the Stones and Beatles obviously and that's cause their music was often too trendy and/or their albums were too packed with filler. But when your main songwriter is leaned on so much and he's not quite right in the head, what can you do? They were a top notch singles band started crafting great LPs too by 1965. And then of course there's the masterful Pet Sounds, which is almost a modern day pop version of a symphonic suite. Just superb! Then Brian lost it after Smile (which I'd say also would've been great based on outtakes and Brian's own Smile LP he put out in '04).

Their career was a bit patchy up through the early 70s and thanks to their resurgence through the smash hit success of the Endless Summer compilation, they became an oldies act. That insane prick Mike Love geared them away from new, bold material into the oldies circuit which they have thrived on since in spite of brief flurries from Brian, Carl's artistic muse and several lineup changes. Even the new tunes were made to sound like hollow takes on their classic surf sound. Since splitting with Al Jardine and relegating it to a 2 person act (Love and Bruce Johnston), the Beach Boys as a functioning band have ceased to be. This can also be attributed to the commercial dwindling of their sales that ended their recording career by 1992 after a string of terrible mainstream albums since the late 70s.

They were a band to watch even when they stumbled in their unpopular days from 1967-73. Some of their greatest stuff comes from this period, even if their only great LP in my view was Sunflower. Dennis was a total wildman who obviously couldn't keep living in his drug-induced and severely alcoholic haze but he had some of the Wilson Bros. ability of songwriting and singing. His solo album I hear is a good one and often his songs would be a highlight of a Beach Boys album. Sunflower is a good example as "Slip on Through," "It's About Time" and "Forever" are 3 of my top 5 fave tracks from it. Here's how I look at their 1965-77 days as a band focused on albums.

Today: A-
Summer Days (And Summer Nights): A-
Beach Boys Party: B+
Pet Sounds: A+
Wild Honey: A (Not the best production but a very likeable work. Excellent R&B-flavoured album with some real catchy songs for AM radio like "Darlin" and "Aren't You Glad" as well as a few glimpses of Smile/Pet Sounds glory like "Let the Wind Blow" and "Country Air").
Friends: C+ (great title track, not much else)
20/20: B- (Too inconsistent even with a repackaging including the wonderful "Our Prayer," "Cabinessence" and "Break Away.")
Surf's up: B (A lot of hippy dippy shit thanks to new eco-conscious manager Jack Reilly. Basically the four tracks of quality-"Long Promised Road," "Feel Flows," "Til I Die" and "Surf's up"- are the only good ones while the rest are average or mediocre).

When you review the band you get this evaluation from me:
Brian Wilson-What can you say? He was a pop genius but drugs and mental illness and then Eugene Landy's vice-like control took all the musical vision and flushed it away. What we're left with is his current shell of his former self... but the most important thing is that he is alive and healthy). His singing is not so special any more too thanks to his brain damage, anxieties and his chain-smoking throughout the 70s and early 80s.

Carl-A fine writer in his own right but perhaps the best singer of all. He could hit Brian's range if he tried but delivered more warmth and soul behind it. A truly classic voice.

Dennis-Good singer as well, but not much of a drummer. He had the potential but his hard living ruined it and he died before his 40th birthday as a result.

Bruce Johnston-I don't like much of his stuff because the guy just reminded me of some cornball songwriter and performer ala Mac Davis or Barry Manilow. Fitting that his biggest hit, "I Write the Songs," was not for the Beach Boys but for Manilow and it came during his 7-year abscense from the group.

Mike Love-He had some memorable lines as a lyricist but he's pretty much an inept songwriter. Not a great singer, didn't play an instrument (rudimentary sax doesn't count) and then steered them into the sad direction throughout the 70s and 80s. Plus he's a human piece of trash from various accounts. Least talented Beach Boy? Yes, if you don't include Bruce Johnston.

p.s. David Marks, John Stamos, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Faatar don't really count I would say.

[Edited by Prodigal Son]

Great, well thought out post. Incredible to see somehow appreciate the Sunflower album though I thought Wild Honey was too highly rated (I would have given it a B-). Isn't it funny how everyone has different taste or ideas when it comes to music???

Just curious how you would have rated Smile. If you've listened to Brain Wilson's Smile (which I'm sure you have)then that's how it would of sounded but with better harmonies & vocals if it had actually been completed and released during that TIME under a Beach Boys product name.

I give it an A but yeah the A+ is reserved for Pet Sounds.

Mike Love sucks.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)