ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

IN MEMORY OF BILLY PRESTON
September 9, 1946 - June 6, 2006
© 1975 Neal Preston
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For Nellcote and Others....... Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st June 2006 12:47 PM
gimmekeef You'll love this....

By Natalie Finn
Thu Jun 1, 8:26 AM ET

It seems as if the fallout caused by Fahrenheit 9/11 will never die down.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Massachusetts national guardsman filed an $85 million lawsuit against Michael Moore in Suffolk Superior Court last week, accusing the filmmaker of distorting a TV interview to portray the soldier as anti-war in his scathing 2004 documentary about the Bush administration post-Sept. 11, 2001.

Sgt. Peter Damon, 33, has stated that Moore didn't have his permission to use pieces of the on-camera interview he gave in 2003 to an NBC Nightly News correspondent at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington D.C. Damon's appearance in Fahrenheit 9/11 resulted in a "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation" for him, court documents state.

Damon is suing for $75 million and his wife is seeking another $10 million for the "mental distress and anguish suffered by her spouse."

The lawsuit states that "[Fahrenheit 9/11] creates a substantially fictionalized and falsified implication of a wounded serviceman who was left behind when Plaintiff was not left behind but supported, financially and emotionally, by the active assistance of the president, the United States and his family, friends, acquaintances and community."

Damon, a double amputee, lost both of his arms while stationed in Iraq when a tire on a Black Hawk Helicopter he was servicing exploded. Another reservist was killed.

In Moore's film Damon is shown lying on a gurney, covered in bandages. He says he feels as if he's "being crushed in a vise," adding, "but [the painkillers] do a lot to help it. And they take a lot of the edge off of it."

The scene prior to Damon's features U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat from Washington state, saying, "You know, [those in the Bush administration] say they're not leaving any veterans behind, but they're leaving all kinds of veterans behind."

In his lawsuit, Damon has argued that the juxtaposition of those two scenes made it sound as if the military and the Bush administration had left him to grapple alone with pain or possibly even a drug addiction when, in reality, he "agrees with and supports the president and the United States' war effort and was not left behind."

NBC had been questioning Damon about the painkiller he was using, a new drug the military was distributing to wounded veterans.

"They took the clip because it was a gut-wrenching scene," Damon told Fox News Tuesday. "They sandwiched it in. [Moore] was using me as ammunition."

Miramax Films, NBC, and Lions Gate Entertainment are also named in the suit, according to Fox News.

The controversial Fahrenheit 9/11 was a smash hit for Moore and Miramax, winning the Palme d'Or at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and grossing more than $222 million worldwide.

The film, which focused pretty one-sidedly on the Bush administration's response to 9/11 (sorely lacking, according to Moore) and its instigation of the war in Iraq (inexcusable, Moore said) was passed over come Oscar time, however, partly because the director entered his production in the Best Picture category, rather than take a run at Best Documentary.

Damon told the New York Post that Moore couldn't have picked a worse guy to pin the charge of being anti-war on.

"I'm the most fortunate disabled guy," he said. "I was complaining about the pain I would've been having [if it weren't for the painkiller]."

Damon's lawyer, Dennis Lynch, also weighed in with the Associated Press.

"It's upsetting to him because he's lived his life supportive of his government, he's been a patriot, he's been a soldier, and he's now being portrayed in a movie that is the antithesis of all that," Lynch said.

Phone calls from the AP and Fox News to Moore and Miramax were not returned
1st June 2006 12:49 PM
glencar $85 million? Wow. That's a bit excessive. But it is Michael Moore so if I were on the jury, he'd get it all!
1st June 2006 12:54 PM
Nellcote Yeah buddy, it's all over the news up here.
Poor Michael Moore, maybe he would go to Bahrain with
Jacko to hide...
1st June 2006 03:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
$85 million? Wow. That's a bit excessive. But it is Michael Moore so if I were on the jury, he'd get it all!

civil suits for murder don't pay that much....I am sure he will get every penny.
1st June 2006 03:44 PM
Some Guy why now?
1st June 2006 03:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
why now?

media giving him an opportunity to speak of his claim.
1st June 2006 04:05 PM
rasputin56 What does that mean?

Not that whole liberal media crap again, is it?

He didn't really file this case in Suffolk County, Massachusetts, did he?
1st June 2006 04:08 PM
voodoopug
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
What does that mean?

Not that whole liberal media crap again, is it?

He didn't really file this case in Suffolk County, Massachusetts, did he?

by no means....I dont interject into political discussions. My thoughts are that there is interest in broadcasting reports of his claims at this time as Moore is not as culturally popular as he once was. I dont think he has a shot at winning a decision unless this becomes a nationally known case.
1st June 2006 04:12 PM
Angiegirl Ain't it funny howe quite a few million of dollars can make the severe distress melt away like snow in the sunshine.
1st June 2006 04:21 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
why now?

Because he tried to settle out of court for the last year plus and lard ass Moore would have none of it. This is the next step,and I for one hope he get's every single penny. Gee,Micheal Moore lying and distorting the truth in one of documentries? Say it ain't so?

Google "Micheal Moore's lies" and prepare to be amazed. The guy is a charlatan of the highest order and that anyone would give him any credence whatsoever is ridiculous. In fact if you believe that fat fuck that just proves that you are without any real objective opinions and are skewing your attitudes for purely partisan reasons.

Riffy
1st June 2006 04:22 PM
voodoopug this is great.....I love stubborn political discussions!
1st June 2006 04:23 PM
nankerphelge not to mention that all Michael Moore fans look like this:

1st June 2006 04:29 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Riffhard wrote:The guy is a charlatan of the highest order and that anyone would give him any credence whatsoever is ridiculous. In fact if you believe that fat fuck that just proves that you are without any real objective opinions and are skewing your attitudes for purely partisan reasons.

Wow, for a minute there I thought you were talking about your hero GW.

That documentary was merely funny, the manipulation of quotes and images was blatantly obvious of course, even to a Euro leftie like me .

The truth lies somewhere in the middle between them both as always no doubt.
1st June 2006 04:31 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Wow, for a minute there I thought you were talking about your hero GW.

That documentary was merely funny, the manipulation of quotes and images was blatantly obvious of course, even to a Euro leftie like me .

The truth lies somewhere in the middle between them both as always no doubt.

be careful about telling some on this board that the truth is always in the middle (even though you are 100% accurate) as many wear blinders.
1st June 2006 04:31 PM
egon
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
not to mention that all Michael Moore fans look like this:

hey, where did you get that photo of me?
god i was tanned that summer.
fat as well, but mostly tanned.
1st June 2006 04:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
egon wrote:

hey, where did you get that photo of me?
god i was tanned that summer.
fat as well, but mostly tanned.

1st June 2006 04:34 PM
rasputin56 That's the funny thing. Most of us on the left know the game Moore is playing and take it for what it is. The right-wing republitards throw hissy fits and call him fat but when the entire structure of their own party and what they propose is based on far worse lies and manipulation of "facts", they are more than happy to punch a chad for their guy. Pathetic.
1st June 2006 04:34 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
be careful about telling some on this board that the truth is always in the middle (even though you are 100% accurate) as many wear blinders.

LOL, that's their problem, not mine!
1st June 2006 04:37 PM
egon the thing is this

michael moore makes for good entertainment....,

while George Bush makes for good entertainment
1st June 2006 04:42 PM
Riffhard
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
That's the funny thing. Most of us on the left know the game Moore is playing and take it for what it is. The right-wing republitards throw hissy fits and call him fat but when the entire structure of their own party and what they propose is based on far worse lies and manipulation of "facts", they are more than happy to punch a chad for their guy. Pathetic.

That is a misrepresentation Raspy. People on the right get pissed when they see Moore sitting next Jimmy Carter at the DNC. We get pissed when a group of dem senators and congressmen and women show up united at the debute of his documentaries. We get angry when Hollywood jerk themselves dry over his propaganda and awards him Oscars that he,by the acedemy's own rules,is not elegible for,in the name of liberal politics. The left give him a platform and by rallying around him they give him credibility that he does not deserve.

You can say that you guys know what he's all about,but then you continue to hoist him up as some kind of liberal David vs the Republican Goliath. He's a hypocrite and a liar. Plain and simple.

Riffy

1st June 2006 04:43 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
egon wrote:
the thing is this
michael moore makes for good entertainment....,

while George Bush makes for good entertainment

True, I guess they were seperated at birth.
1st June 2006 04:52 PM
rasputin56
quote:
He's a hypocrite and a liar. Plain and simple.

Riffy

And if he were a Republican, you'd elect him President. Or maybe he could be appointed Press Secretary?
1st June 2006 05:38 PM
Riffhard
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:

And if he were a Republican, you'd elect him President. Or maybe he could be appointed Press Secretary?

Are you implying that Tony Snow is a hypocrite and a liar? Because I would love to see any proof of that claim. I,on the other hand,can prove that Moore is a liar. This isn't about Bush either. I have become very angry at many of Bush's actions too. I still maintain that he did not knowingly lie about Iraq though,and that can also be supported by the intelligence that he recieved from the Clinton Admin as well as Intel agencies throughout the world,and even that liberal holy of holies,the UN. The Bush lied people died mantra is played and tired. It has been fully debunked and only hardcore partisans still make that claim. Hell,not even the Democrats in the House or Senete say that tripe anymore.

Riffy
1st June 2006 07:26 PM
lotsajizz ...and they all lived happily ever after.....

sleep tight, Amerika

1st June 2006 08:48 PM
rasputin56
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Are you implying that Tony Snow is a hypocrite and a liar? Because I would love to see any proof of that claim. I,on the other hand,can prove that Moore is a liar.

Riffy

It's not really where I was going with the statement but:

Yeah, yeah, left wing website, blah, blah, blah...

http://mediamatters.org/items/200508120008
http://mediamatters.org/items/200602060009
http://mediamatters.org/items/200604190003
http://mediamatters.org/items/200507040002
http://mediamatters.org/items/200604210001
http://mediamatters.org/items/200604220001

Debunked? When? Did I miss a memo? I got that Downing Street one but was there something else, too? Like this whole Iraq debacle was about WMD anyways...

[Edited by rasputin56]
1st June 2006 09:27 PM
chevysales
quote:
glencar wrote:
$85 million? Wow. That's a bit excessive. But it is Michael Moore so if I were on the jury, he'd get it all!

that fat fuck is the exact same type he supposedly crusaded against in his early days... gm shoulda put a contract on his fat ass and i don't mean a uaw one either
1st June 2006 09:31 PM
chevysales
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
That's the funny thing. Most of us on the left know the game Moore is playing and take it for what it is. The right-wing republitards throw hissy fits and call him fat but when the entire structure of their own party and what they propose is based on far worse lies and manipulation of "facts", they are more than happy to punch a chad for their guy. Pathetic.

micheal moore was your parties poster boy... until you lost the election than he was kicked to curb quiker than al gore.
2nd June 2006 11:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't understand all this Michael Moore bashing. They say his IQ is a quite bit higher than W's.
2nd June 2006 11:13 AM
Joey

Twenty - Seven Percent and DROPPING !!!!!

|
|
|
V

2nd June 2006 11:14 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I don't understand all this Michael Moore bashing. They say his IQ is a quite bit higher than W's.

What is it then 10..?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)