ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Congratulations Fantasia!!!(nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th May 2004 12:05 PM
jb I just want to congratulate Fantasia for winning the American Idol contest last night. She is a strong, talented, dynamic performer and I wish her much success in the future. I also want congratulate Diana, who for a sixteen year old, showed the poise and professionalism of a seasoned pro.
27th May 2004 12:13 PM
Zeeta Sad bastard!

The TV show is killing quality new music!

You should be ashamed Joshua!
27th May 2004 12:21 PM
LadyJane Yeah..it's cheesy..but I admit I watched the last few episodes.

Both girls have tremendous voices.

I was really routing for Diana, though. It takes guts and lots of self confidence for a 16 year old to put herself out there.

And a big FU to Howard Stern for making fun of her this a.m. for being fat!!!

LJ.
27th May 2004 12:27 PM
Poplar
Shame on all of you who watched.
You should be punished.

27th May 2004 12:29 PM
jb These outstanding young people represent what America is all about....hope and opportunity. 65 million Americans cast their ballots and as a result, this young lady will have the opportunity to share her gift with the world. We(Americans) are far from perfect, but we are founded on traditional concepts of Judeo-Chritian values and basically see the good, as opposed to evil, in others. God bless the contestants and god bless America.
27th May 2004 12:30 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
I just want to congratulate Fantasia for winning the American Idol contest last night. She is a strong, talented, dynamic performer and I wish her much success in the future. I also want congratulate Diana, who for a sixteen year old, showed the poise and professionalism of a seasoned pro.

Party Train The Gap Band (Simpson, Wilson, Wilson, Taylor)
---
All aboard

Every all aboard
Anybody wanna take this ride
Anybody wanna ride
All it takes is a nickel or a dime

Be sure to get your ticket
Hurry, don’t miss it
Everybody’s got to stand in line
So make sure that you too will be right on time

Everybody all aboard
Everybody all aboard

Mmm
Mmm
All aboard

Don’t you miss it, baby
If you miss that train
Don’t miss the party train
Oh...don’t you miss it, baby
If you miss that train

Everybody all aboard
Oh...baby
Everybody all aboard
Mmm

Don’t you that train
If you miss that train
Oh...ho...ho...ho...
If you miss that train

Your ticket, ooh
Mmm, mmm
Everybody all aboard
Ho...ho
Everybody all aboard

Every all aboard
Anybody wanna ride

Every all aboard
Anybody wanna ride

All aboard

Hee...
Hee...hee...
Ho...ho

Get down, get down, get down tonight
We’re gonna party, gonna party on the train tonight

Huh
Huh
Huh
Huh

Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta get on board
Hey, hey, yeah
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, gotta come get on board, baby

Everybody all aboard
Get your ticket, don’t you miss that train
Everybody all aboard

Everybody all aboard
Everybody

27th May 2004 12:38 PM
Nasty Habits I want to congratulate anyone who actually sat through all two irritating and pointless hours of last night's show. Your masochism knows no bounds. Thank god for VCR's and the miracle of fast forwarding!

I usually watch the show in the first few weeks when it's a microcosm of young hopefuls and give up once it's dwindled to six or so acceptable candidates, but Fantasia fascinated me from the beginning this year and I admit with NO SHAME that I was a junkie this year. So, what the hell, I'll join your thread, JB! Congrats to Fantasia! Freakin' loose cannon, man, and a genuinely unpredictable personality. Good luck. I hope you don't lose your soul now that you've sold it.

27th May 2004 02:05 PM
Joey
THE BLACKBYRDS
( Walking in Rhythm )

Walkin’ in rhythm
Movin’ in sound
Hummin’ to the music
Tryin’ to move on

I’m walkin’ in rhythm
Singin’ my song
Thinkin’ ‘bout my baby
Tryin’ to get home

Walkin’ in rhythm
Movin’ in sound
Hummin’ to the music
Tryin’ to move on

It’s been so long since I’ve seen her
I’m tired and so all alone
I’ve traveled so very far
I’ve got to get back home
Got to get back home

It’s been so long since I’ve seen her
I’m tired and so all alone
I’ve traveled so very far
I’ve got to get back home
Got to get back home

Walkin’ in rhythm
Movin’ in sound
Hummin’ to the music
Tryin’ to move on

I’m walkin’ in rhythm (Walkin’ in rhythm)
Singin’ my song (Singin’ my song)
Thinkin’ ‘bout my baby (Thinkin’ ‘bout my baby)
Tryin’ to get home (Tryin’ to get home)

I’m walkin’ in rhythm (I’m walkin’ in rhythm)

27th May 2004 02:18 PM
glencar I love when Eyeties win big competitions! It hadn't happened since Mussolini but last night...!
27th May 2004 03:44 PM
glencar Those shows where people get plastic surgery are scarier than any of the bizarre posts we see here on RO.
27th May 2004 03:47 PM
not bound to please
quote:
glencar wrote:
Those shows where people get plastic surgery are scarier than any of the bizarre posts we see here on RO.

Hmmm....I saw an episode of the swan....I'm tossing Miis U and that back and forth in my mind - not sure....

it's damn close...

27th May 2004 03:55 PM
scratched
quote:
jb wrote:
We(Americans) are far from perfect

At least one of you admits it.
27th May 2004 04:09 PM
Prodigal Son I think the show could be done right but they turn it into some worship, larger-than-life clusterfuck of sappiness and overblown pompousness. It's a friggin talent show and look how many people go nuts and fill arenas to watch it on a screen when they can stay at home. They just drool at the altar of American Idol. They make it way too big and much too serious than it should be. The media fascination is funny at first, but then it gets to a point of being almost sickly obsessive. This kind of show and pre-packaged empire (by the same evil genius behind the Spice Girls no less) is ruining quality music more than downloads and all that other crap that record execs claim is destroying them.

Some execs who are with it (like the greats from Warner Bros. of the past in Lenny Waronker, Mo Ostin and Ahmet Eretgun) realize that the top artists are all overnight, three-minute inferior products that keep awesome rock acts down. Sure, fame and success can commercialize stuff like the White Stripes to the point where it's too mainstream but that chance never comes it seems. In 1981 it was like this where radio ignored new wave and punk subsidary music that was important in favour of post-disco junk.

Then MTV ruined it all. Having a video could be an artsy thing, but then it became top priority. So now albums are dead because people are buying them for the big "hit" songs and not the artist or the quality of the album. Many non-rap fans bought the Outkast double-CD not because it was a very good album but because of "Hey Ya." There should be more than one reason/song to buy an album I don't care who you are or what you like!

Look, the mom-and-pop/teen/little girl crowd has always had music marketed to them and that's fine, but where the fuck is the music being marketed toward certain age groups and tastes? Oh well, rock's been dead, for me, ever since the Clash broke up but some have courageously kept going to try to make the voice heard (like Nirvana, White Stripes, Jet, the Jayhawks and several underground bands I also like). We just want some more recognition of it.

That being said about all that, I'd like to say that this Fantasia is a very good singer and could be made into a neo-soul star along the lines of Aretha/Macy Gray (without the totally stoned voice and look). But no, they're making her sing overwrought, semi-inspirational ballads about dreams coming true (do those dreams include doing Up with People-esque tours for Idol across 52 shows in several cities over, hmmm what seems right, about 49 days?) with absolutely no soul whatsoever, ala Whitney Houston who had an incredible voice but sang totally crap material.

The best thing I ever saw on this whole subject was in that World Idol thing where the ugly Norweigan guy won. The guy who won the Belgian one had this long hair and sang hard rock stuff. An unorthodox winner. And after he performed once, Simon Cowell and some other British judge asked why a rocker like him was in this competition when punk/grunge is about making your own mark and rebelling against stuff like Idol.

He added that Kurt Cobain must be spinning in his grave if he's watching this guy. Then the Belgian guy argued back perfectly, accusing those two judges of making it so that this competition was the only way for him to get noticed and make a mark. He made it clear that this whole talent search thing was clouding everything else so much that being in it despite being a total grunge guy was the only way to be seen and heard because of suits that made it that way.

Back to Fantasia and my opinion on what is right for her. Make her sing some real soul stuff at least on her 2nd disc because then people will come back to listen for something different. No one will give a crap about Kelly Clarkson, Ruben or Clay's 2nd albums if it's the same formula delivered in the first. It's sad I know about all this but my mom and sister watch this stuff ad naseum. And good lord, up in Canada there's a Canadian Idol starting in 2 weeks. It's like the American one, but with a totally bland and awful host, no interesting judges and half the talent.
There, it's off my chest.
P.S. Stones rule.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
27th May 2004 04:09 PM
Joey

I got a groin pull
27th May 2004 04:12 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

I got a groin pull

27th May 2004 04:51 PM
gypsy Clay Aiken is very gay. Did he attend Howe?
27th May 2004 04:52 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Clay Aiken is very gay. Did he attend Howe?

27th May 2004 04:58 PM
F505 Who invented this bizarre concept? Even in Holland we have Idols and the winner this year raped Angie (I mean the song not my lovely compatriot from Leiden)
27th May 2004 05:04 PM
rollingstonez Sad Sad Sad

Talentless Teenage Trash
27th May 2004 05:21 PM
scratched

Welcome!
27th May 2004 06:04 PM
Joey

27th May 2004 11:38 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Fuck American Idol! It's nothing more then someone winning a lottery ticket. I don't have the least bit of interest in a show that propels a mannequin to the stars just because it's the "In" thing. Fuck Pop music and all the cheese that goes along with it. When they have a show that gives due respect too real musicians that have paid their dues, then I may become more interested. These "idols" as they are called don't have a fucking clue what hard work in the music business is all about. Until they've put up with smoky bars, drunks, hauling their own equipment, traveling from town to town for bullshit pay and played until they were dead tired at 3:00am, get up and do it all over again, then they don't know what it's about. Do that Miss Idol for a couple of years and you just might gain some respect, until then, start counting your fucking 15 minutes of fame, because that's about all you're going to get! Sorry for the rant, but that show makes me fucking sick!
28th May 2004 02:49 AM
Jumacfly The French version of Pop Idol featured an Angie cover....OMG that sucked !!!!
28th May 2004 05:04 AM
Gazza >Who invented this bizarre concept? Even in Holland we have Idols and the winner this year raped Angie (I mean the song not my lovely compatriot from Leiden)

I regret to say that the concept started in the UK. The rest of the world are welcome to it, though - AND Simon Cowell. Fortunately, most of the "talents" who have done well on it have had their 15 minutes, been duly exploited by the programme makers and record companies, and are on their way back to Obscurityville-On-Sea.

28th May 2004 09:07 AM
gimmekeef We need something new from the Stones quickly so we dont have to waste time with crap like this....sorry to those that watched and liket it..but really.........
28th May 2004 09:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Fortunately, most of the "talents" who have done well on it have had their 15 minutes, been duly exploited by the programme makers and record companies, and are on their way back to Obscurityville-On-Sea.

I regret to say that I have never seen American Idol. That show reads absolute ZERO on my interest thermometer...even from a strictly academic viewpoint...for whatever reason. I think Gazza is right but having said that those people know what they're doing.
28th May 2004 11:00 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

I regret to say that I have never seen American Idol. That show reads absolute ZERO on my interest thermometer...even from a strictly academic viewpoint...for whatever reason. I think Gazza is right but having said that those people know what they're doing.

28th May 2004 11:08 AM
jb In all seriousness, these young people represent what we in America call the "American Dream". They were giving an opportunity and through hard work, dedication, and god given talent, they rose to the top . These young people should be an example to all that with persistence, encouragement, and a little luck, we all can achieve our dreams. I think we all can learn a lot from a show like "American Idol" and I hope in continues for many, many more years.

I want to also wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend. Let us not forget the brave men and woman who have fought and died so we can be free....God Bless.
28th May 2004 11:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
In all seriousness, these young people represent what we in America call the "American Dream". They were giving an opportunity and through hard work, dedication, and god given talent, they rose to the top . These young people should be an example to all that with persistence, encouragement, and a little luck, we all can achieve our dreams.

Even though I sympathize with your rather rustic view of American society, I can't really bring myself to believe that these type of shows on a national level really represent anything but foolishness. Maybe it's just human nature. Ed McDirtyOldMan ran Star Search for a long time. But I take your point....but the innocense is long gone.

28th May 2004 11:33 AM
jb I understand how you feel Motherbaby...I have become a very pessimistic and bitter person as I have become older...however, it's like that song by 'Blood, Sweat and Tears"-there will be one child born in this world to carry on....
Page: 1 2