ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Pierre Fournier
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Kinks Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th May 2006 06:17 PM
Madafaka OMG! What an excellent band. I've discovered recently and I love it.
What do you thing? Better than The Who? Same level? Nothing compares The Kinks with The Who? Better than Beatles?
I'd love to read you point of view.
TIA!
29th May 2006 06:54 PM
pdog Ray Davies is probably the best English songwriter I've ever heard...
There's so much good stuff.
Get Ray's new album, it's great!
29th May 2006 06:56 PM
speedfreakjive 'oh, you really got me going, you got me do I don't know what i'm doing!'

one of the best set of lyrics ever!
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
29th May 2006 07:23 PM
Madafaka What's his latest album?

or

Thanks!
29th May 2006 07:25 PM
speedfreakjive Waterloo Sunset has to be their best song!
29th May 2006 07:36 PM
Gimme Shelter The Kinks are awesome. I wish they would do one more world tour, but with Dave Davies having a stroke a couple of years ago it looks doubtful.
29th May 2006 08:03 PM
mrhipfl I think Dave had a heart attack not too long ago too?? Man they're great. I love Lola, celluloid heroes, mr. churchhill, well respected man....best british garage band of the 60s.
29th May 2006 09:06 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I think Dave had a heart attack not too long ago too?? Man they're great. I love Lola, celluloid heroes, mr. churchhill, well respected man....best british garage band of the 60s.

The thing is that, after the stroke, he has had to learn to play the guitar all over again. And it seems that the Davies brothers recovered their mutual affection. And, yes, they (the band) are a treasure, although the world insists upon listening to Ted Nugent and Madonna and cheat on their spouses even though the dick breath or the girly perfume stink from early "good morning" kisses delates them.

We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity,
God save little shops, china cups and virginity.

However, IMHO, the Who are still the greatest live act in history. (Just as Ween is the most underrated act in the planet. "Bring forth the mollusk cast unto me/let's be forever let forever be free".)
[Edited by MrPleasant]
29th May 2006 09:19 PM
rolling who The Kinks are great ... not better than the Who, Stones or Beatles, but right up there.
29th May 2006 09:20 PM
rolling who My first concert, a gift from my dad for my 12th birthday -- The Kinks, at Providence Civic Center, Sept. 1982.
29th May 2006 09:23 PM
MrPleasant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6rgJF2ErU

Greatest video ever.
29th May 2006 11:17 PM
Brainbell Jangler I join in acknowledging Ray Davies as one of the greatest lyricists ever. I also consider The Kinks to be the most underrated band of the British Invasion, as they deserve to be ranked with the Beatles, Stones and Who.

The Kinks had a string of albums in the late 60s-early 70s which are nearly as vital to a music collection as the Big Four: Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola versus Powerman, and Muswell Hillbillies. Greatest Hits covers the early singles.
29th May 2006 11:19 PM
glencar The Kinks are behind the Stones but in front of the Rutles & the Who.
29th May 2006 11:20 PM
glencar
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6rgJF2ErU

Greatest video ever.

Horrible sound. Almost sounds like the Chipmunks.
30th May 2006 12:14 AM
sirmoonie You stupid fucking niggers, please, please, please see maxlugar.com for real Kinks analysis.

Oh my god do I love them Kinks.
30th May 2006 12:25 AM
pdog This one... And it's awesome!

30th May 2006 12:38 AM
Coming Down Again We are the village green preservation society.

I need not say more.
30th May 2006 01:31 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
This one... And it's awesome!

I said that from the day I got it. Hell yes it is, and not in a Townshend way.

Ray Davies solo is as good as it gets - hooks, moof, get some love, get some piss, say piss huckle = god$$$$$
30th May 2006 05:26 AM
UGot2Rollme saw Ray in Berlin a few weeks ago - great show, played most of his new CD. GET IT! (best track IMO is The Tourist)

I hope Dave can recover well enough so they can tour again - I missed his guitar and harmonies in Berlin.
30th May 2006 05:39 AM
MRD8 I just got a great DVD of Ray's show in Madison, Wisconsin on March 3rd of this year...here's the setlist:
I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Where Have All the Good Times Gone?
After the Fall
Twentieth-Century Man
Oklahoma USA
Village Green
Picture Book
Johnny Thunder
Sunny Afternoon
Dead End Street
Next-Door Neighbour
Creatures of Little Faith
The Tourist
Low Budget
Intermission (20 min)
London Song
Stand Up Comic
Things Are Gonna Change (The Morning After)
Long Way from Home (dedicated to Dave; the song was written for him)
The Getaway (Lonesome Train)
Tired of Waiting
Set Me Free
All Day and All of the Night
Encore: Lola

30th May 2006 07:51 AM
UGot2Rollme Question about the Madison show: is there a nice looking young lady singing with Ray on a few songs?

Here's the setlist from Berlin with my comments (previously posted):
1. Not Like Everybody Else: Ray started alone on stage, then joined by the band.
2. Where have all the Good Times Gone? Good times are just ahead according to ad lib lyrics.
3. After the Fall - new
(Ray pauses for a drink of Jack Daniels out of a tea cup)
4. All She Wrote -new
5. 20th Century Man - outstanding, especially with slide guitar work by Mark Johns
6. Oklahoma, USA - old one, dedicated to his sister who used to take him to the movie shows
7. Village Green
8. Sunny Afternoon - singalong
9. Dead End Street - seemed particularly appropriate for Berlin
10. Next Door Neighbor - new
11. Creatures of Little Faith - new, Ray getting spiritual
12. Over My Head - a young woman joins for harmonies
13. Tourist - new, really good one, theatrical presentation
14. Till the End of the Day
(15 minute break, Ray encourages us to get drunk, it´s Friday in Berlin!)
15. This is where I belong - Ray alone
16. Autumn Almanac - with Johns playing great acoustic fills
17. Other People´s lives
18. Stand up Comic - new and good, Ray drinks off a Becks and leaves the stage after singing Demon Alcohol
19. Things are Going to Change (The morning after) - new, and very good tune
20. Days - starts a capella, very moving song has personal meaning for me
21. A long way from Home - Ray introduces this as a song he wrote for his brother, dedicates it to him, is joined by woman for harmonies
22. The Getaway - new, bluesy with country harmonies
23. Tired of Waiting - sing along
24. All Day and all of the Night - I was up pogoing for this one, such high energy. Unfortunately, most of crowd stayed in their seats.
1st encore
25. LOLA
2nd encore:
26. A cajunized version of You Really Got Me
30th May 2006 08:16 AM
gimmekeef Recently got a soundboard boot of The Kinks New Years Eve 80/81.From FM source.One of the best kick ass shows I have ever heard!...Loved them since they broke in round 64-65...
30th May 2006 10:21 AM
star star ray davies is the coolest most poetic songwriter we have!
30th May 2006 10:25 AM
GotToRollMe The Kinks are one of God's gifts to the world. All the albums are good, but aside from the obvious ones I'd recommend "The Great Lost Kinks Album" and "A Soap Opera."

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
30th May 2006 12:25 PM
Highwire Rob The Kinks are great! My favorite songs are Waterloo Sunset, Celluloid Heroes (Acoustic & Keyboard version), Apeman, and Lola.

I just checked the Documentary Channel (Dish Network 197) and it is still showing in rotation--including today, May 30:

quote:
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM (US Eastern Time)
Ray Davies: The World From My Window
In this fascinating film, Ray Davies, the cornerstone of British super-group, The Kinks, speaks candidly about his work, his life and inspirations.

Maybe cable subscribers can get that channel too. If you haven't seen that documentary yet--CHECK IT OUT!
[Doc 197 is also showing The Pixies: Gouge]
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
30th May 2006 02:39 PM
purrcafe
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Waterloo Sunset has to be their best song!

The best song of our era.
30th May 2006 10:38 PM
Madafaka Thank you for you opinions!

I have a few questions now...
Have Ray Davies and Crissie Hynde (Pretenders) a child? I don't remember very well if the father is Ray Davies or Jim Kerr from Simple Minds.
Another one... Legend tells that Ray was eating trash in Belgium, that was before Crissie, wasn't? Or that is just an urban legend?

Thank you very much!

[Edited by Madafaka]
30th May 2006 11:01 PM
Sir Jack Regan
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Thank you for you opinions!

I have a few questions now...
Have Ray Davies and Crissie Hynde (Pretenders) a child? I don't remember very well if the father is Ray Davies or Jim Kerr from Simple Minds.
Another one... Legend tells that Ray was eating trash in Belgium, that was before Crissie, wasn't? Or that is just an urban legend?

Thank you very much!

[Edited by Madafaka]

I'm pretty sure that Crissie Hynde has a child from BOTH of Ray Davies and Jim Kerr, 2 sons
31st May 2006 12:50 AM
pdog Ray will be playing SF soon, and I will be there!
I'm more excited to see him than I was seeing The Stones... And I can get excited seeing The Stones. I haven't seen Ray since the last time I saw The Kinks 25 plus years ago!
31st May 2006 05:34 AM
Zack Yes, Ray and Chrissie have a daughter, though they were never married.

Never heard the eating trash story. That may be a version of the stuffed all his money in his sock and woke five days later with a beard, not knowing where he'd been. That was about '73 I think.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)