ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Favorite "First Time Playeds" Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd May 2007 06:20 PM
Throwaway Some of us have been blessed over the hears to be one of the select few to hear a song the first time the Stones play it. You dont have to be at the tour opener to hear them, as we saw with "Sway" in 05. At the 8/1/1994 show in DC I saw the premiere of Out of Tears (many of the Voodoo songs were played at the warmup gig held before this show), and though I was young I remember it being a good performance. I really thought VL was the bomb around the time, and OOT was like my 2nd or 3rd fav off it. It's definitely something special, though if you actually KNOW you are hearing the boys first crack at the song while you're hearing it..
22nd May 2007 06:23 PM
ChrisEditor Heard the first-ever "Sister Morphine" at Soldier Field in '97. That was fun.
22nd May 2007 06:39 PM
Gazza I've seen a few 'firsts'

Moon is Up at Shepherds Bush '99 (only ever performance - absolutely brilliant)

Thru and Thru at Madison Square Garden '02

I Got The Blues in Hartford '99 was the first public concert performance - theyd previously only played it at the Marquee in 1971.

Jagger thought they were also treating us to a live debut of 'Melody' at Shepherds Bush but theyd performed it at the El Mocambo in 1977.
22nd May 2007 06:40 PM
fireontheplatter i think it would have to be 'rough justice' at the b stage giant's stadium....second bigger bang show there.

great stuff...had 1st row.

4 get about it.
22nd May 2007 06:47 PM
Throwaway Ranking up there in excitement with 1st timers are "first since many-a-time"...unfortunately Jagger sometimes confuses us, as he said "We never done this one before" (referring to Mr Pitiful, Oct 3 2005) when I remember having seen it on a few recent setlists : \. That Shep's Bush show sounds great on boots and on paper, definitely bragging material.
22nd May 2007 06:49 PM
Saint Sway I've been fortunate to hear quite a few.

but I'm gonna go with ONNYA at the ABB press conference performance as the best. Because it really rocked, but mainly because it was the 1st time I had ever heard the song... the album wasnt even leaked yet. That gave it an extra sense of excitement.

other 1st time played I've seen (according to Gazza & Voodoo's awesome set list site here):
Rough Justice
Get Up Stand Up
19th Nervous (blues version)
Infamy
I'm Free (I think it was 1st time played)
She Smiled Sweetly
Rock & Hard Place
Before They Make Me Run
Undercover
One Hit To the Body
2000 Light Years From Home
Memory Motel
Like A Rolling Stone (1st US appearance)
Lowdown
Already Over Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Howe Can I Stop?
Thru And Thru
Back Of My Hand
Mr. Pitiful
I Got The Blues (1st public)

also, not sure about this but wasnt "Play With Fire" and "Paint It Black" 1st debuted in Philly 89?

[Edited by Saint Sway]
[Edited by Saint Sway]
22nd May 2007 06:57 PM
Gazza You wouldnt half know from that list that you were from New York

Play with Fire and Paint it Black both hadnt been played in well over 20 years prior to 1989, but were both played regularly after their original release dates.

'I'm Free' was played regularly in 1969
[Edited by Gazza]
22nd May 2007 07:00 PM
Dan All About You
Wanna Hold You
Sister Morphine
She's A Rainbow
Moonlight Mile
Some Girls
You Got The Silver
As Tears Go By
It Won't Take Long
22nd May 2007 07:18 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I've been fortunate to hear quite a few.

but I'm gonna go with ONNYA at the ABB press conference performance as the best. Because it really rocked, but mainly because it was the 1st time I had ever heard the song... the album wasnt even leaked yet. That gave it an extra sense of excitement.

other 1st time played I've seen (according to Gazza & Voodoo's awesome set list site here):
Rough Justice
Get Up Stand Up
19th Nervous (blues version)
Infamy
I'm Free (I think it was 1st time played)
She Smiled Sweetly
Rock & Hard Place
Before They Make Me Run
Undercover
One Hit To the Body
2000 Light Years From Home
Memory Motel
Like A Rolling Stone (1st US appearance)
Lowdown
Already Over Me
Might As Well Get Juiced
Howe Can I Stop?
Thru And Thru
Back Of My Hand
Mr. Pitiful
I Got The Blues (1st public)

also, not sure about this but wasnt "Play With Fire" and "Paint It Black" 1st debuted in Philly 89?

[Edited by Saint Sway]
[Edited by Saint Sway]

she smiled sweetly.....

YOU'RE TRIPPING
22nd May 2007 07:45 PM
monkey_man You Don't Have To Mean It
Moonlight Mile
Some Girls
You Got The Silver
She Smiled Sweetly
That's How Strong My Love Is
22nd May 2007 07:56 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I've seen a few 'firsts'

Moon is Up at Shepherds Bush '99 (only ever performance - absolutely brilliant)

Thru and Thru at Madison Square Garden '02

I Got The Blues in Hartford '99 was the first public concert performance - theyd previously only played it at the Marquee in 1971.

Jagger thought they were also treating us to a live debut of 'Melody' at Shepherds Bush but theyd performed it at the El Mocambo in 1977.

I have both the audio and video boot of that show. Incredibly sloppy, but what a setlist.
22nd May 2007 08:11 PM
Throwaway Some real nice tunes you lucky f--kers. I can definitely see a brand new tune as being awesome, the excitement to hear new stuff and LIVE at that, not taking anything away from the Licks tour but imagine those sets mixed in with a good 7-9 new songs! Now, those who were at Vancouver at the start of the 72 tour, please share your experiences with us.
22nd May 2007 08:32 PM
Riffhard She Smiled Sweetly is one tune that I never ever thought they'd pull out of the mothballs. When did it at Roseland I'm sure all the true fans at that show were just dumbstruck. They might as well have pulled out Yesterdays Papers or Stupid Girl.

I have seen quite a few firsttimers,but for the life of me I can't wrap my brain around them right now.

Riffy
22nd May 2007 08:40 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
She Smiled Sweetly is one tune that I never ever thought they'd pull out of the mothballs. When did it at Roseland I'm sure all the true fans at that show were just dumbstruck. They might as well have pulled out Yesterdays Papers or Stupid Girl.

I have seen quite a few firsttimers,but for the life of me I can't wrap my brain around them right now.

Riffy

More than half the people standing around me had no clue what song they were playing. I was losing my fucking mind when they dusted that off.
22nd May 2007 08:55 PM
Riffhard
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

More than half the people standing around me had no clue what song they were playing. I was losing my fucking mind when they dusted that off.

LOL! Yeah I remember all the scuttlebutt about all the cronies of corporate honchos that got the majority of those Roseland tix. Real fans got shut out just so some fat cats and their spoiled rotten kids could watch the show and scream for Start Me Up!! There is no fucking justice in this world! Well,I guess there is rough justice to be sure.

Glad ya got to see it monkey_man. Ya lucky bastard!

Riffy
22nd May 2007 09:25 PM
stonedinaustralia not a first time played but i saw the first and i am willing to bet it will be the only time they opened the show with midnight rambler - enmore Sydney '03 - i tell you it was bizarre - a 12 - 15 minute opening song about a rapist

esp. as i was less than 6 feet from the stage

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
22nd May 2007 09:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
She Smiled Sweetly is one tune that I never ever thought they'd pull out of the mothballs. When did it at Roseland I'm sure all the true fans at that show were just dumbstruck. They might as well have pulled out Yesterdays Papers or Stupid Girl.

Riffy

She Smiled Sweetly was actually pleyed in 1967, but Roseland was the only occasion in the 40 years since.
22nd May 2007 09:39 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

She Smiled Sweetly was actually pleyed in 1967, but Roseland was the only occasion in the 40 years since.

Well there ya go. Did not know that. I saw Get Off My Cloud for the first time in twenty some odd years. Sounded great. Mick asked Charlie when the last time was they played it and Chaz just shrugged and gave Mick one of his bored looks. The crowd just cracked up as did Mick.

Riffy
22nd May 2007 09:40 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Me too.. Although Philly 81 and 89 both had a few first timers, so whatever they were, then that was what I heard...
Also the MSG 05 songs...
If I heard anything else, please remind me, if you know...

22nd May 2007 10:10 PM
M.O.W.A.T. My firsts:

Shine A Light - Montreal '98 (but it could have been the second time it was played -- fucking damn well near wet my pants when I heard this).

This Place Is Empty - Montreal 2006
23rd May 2007 12:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

Me too.. Although Philly 81 and 89 both had a few first timers, so whatever they were, then that was what I heard...
Also the MSG 05 songs...
If I heard anything else, please remind me, if you know...

All the debuts are here (Voodoo hasnt updated the new page I sent him a few months back so theres a few corrections required, mostly regarding the 'last performed'dates )

http://rocksoff.org/debuts.htm
http://www.rocksoff.org/unreleasedcovers.htm

23rd May 2007 12:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
My firsts:

Shine A Light - Montreal '98 (but it could have been the second time it was played -- fucking damn well near wet my pants when I heard this).

This Place Is Empty - Montreal 2006

'Shine A Light' was played quite regularly on the 1995 European tour. A live version of it is on 'Stripped'
23rd May 2007 12:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
not a first time played but i saw the first and i am willing to bet it will be the only time they opened the show with midnight rambler - enmore Sydney '03 -

Correct. Only time they ever opened with it. Best opener ever IMO. Must have been brilliant. It certainly sounds it on the bootleg
23rd May 2007 12:32 PM
FotiniD Ah, my one and only debut so far "Con Le Mie Lacrime" in Milan last year. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Keith on acoustic after the whole coconut scare and Mick singing in Italian, God! Priceless.
23rd May 2007 12:47 PM
erikjjf Con Le Mie Lacrime
Streets Of Love
Rain Fall Down
The Nearness Of You
She Smiled Sweetly (first time since late 60s)
Thru And Thru
I Got The Blues (first time since Marquee 71)
23rd May 2007 12:57 PM
Throwaway
quote:
erikjjf wrote:

Rain Fall Down

Sorry about that. Its usually hard to know youre getting a first timer (even if MJ announces it) at the time, but at ALL the shows I've been to, I notice myself digging the tunes off the new album. Even those which arent so great on the album (SOL, Sparks Will Fly) have got me pumped live. I predict Dangerous Beauty for the European B-stage!
23rd May 2007 12:57 PM
Joey
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

Some of us have been blessed over the hears to be one of the select few to hear a song the first time the Stones play it. You dont have to be at the tour opener to hear them, as we saw with "Sway" in 05.

Funny ...... The Rolling Stones did not play any " first -time playeds " at the legendary QWEST CENTER last January .

www.QWESTCENTER.com

23rd May 2007 12:58 PM
Throwaway The sets from NYC shows and those from Omaha are quite different. Omaha was certainly not MSG'ed!
23rd May 2007 01:03 PM
Nasty Habits "Out of Control" first time at Soldier Field '97 was unbelievable. The harmonica/guitar climax and the general unexpectedness of its power (this was before Bridges was even OUT) made for a great debut.

They wrote a new song that killed live! In the 90s! WOWWWWW! Go Stones!

23rd May 2007 02:15 PM
erikjjf
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
"Out of Control" first time at Soldier Field '97 was unbelievable.

The debut of Out Of Control was at the Horseshoe Tavern club gig in Toronto, Sept 4 1997. It was also played at the Double Door club gig.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)