ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy Birthday Gazza!!!
© Dave McGough spoiled by Voodoo Chile - Words © Jair "Coca Buena" Mota!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do People Analyze Rock N' Roll To The Point Of Stupidity? Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th May 2007 07:52 PM
_Boomy_ Why do people get so analytical about ROCK AND ROLL? How in the hell can you work in the media and write long articles about ROCK AND ROLL music?

Why? This ain't opera. This ain't orchestral music.

People talk about posing, retreads, been-there-done-that, and all of the other crap.

What else can be done? If something worked in the past, why not emmulate? Imitating could be misconstrued as something negative, but I don't think it's necessarily all that bad.

I mean, what can a band these days do to be completely different than their comtemporaries and bands of the past? Maybe you can have a band of fat white guys wearing nothing but thongs using dildos as musical instruments. This will be the new rage: we'll call it "Dildonics". It will go straight to the top of the pops, and sooner or later, we'll have retreads.

Ya get my point? I can't argue about ROCK AND ROLL. It's just ROCK AND ROLL. Some of it is not to my liking, but it's just ROCK AND ROLL.

[Edited by _Boomy_]
13th May 2007 07:55 PM
fireontheplatter thats a pretry loaded question there boom..
13th May 2007 08:02 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
thats a pretry loaded question there boom..

Well, I notice that a lot of people here like the up and coming bands that have a Stones vibe. So do I.

However, some people attach a negative stigma to those bands. They resort to the "poserish" comments. Clearly the bands are influenced heavily by the Stones and other bands from the past, and they sometimes get knocked for it. It's misconstrued as posing.

[Edited by _Boomy_]
13th May 2007 09:48 PM
PartyDoll MEG Very deep, Bambi!!!!
13th May 2007 11:12 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

I mean, what can a band these days do to be completely different than their comtemporaries and bands of the past? Maybe you can have a band of fat white guys wearing nothing but thongs using dildos as musical instruments. This will be the new rage: we'll call it "Dildonics". It will go straight to the top of the pops, and sooner or later, we'll have retreads.

Verrrry interesting imagery, Herr Boomy.
13th May 2007 11:25 PM
sirmoonie Until today, I had never been kicked off a mini-putt golf course for my behavior.
13th May 2007 11:56 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Until today, I had never been kicked off a mini-putt golf course for my behavior.

14th May 2007 02:08 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Very deep, Bambi!!!!

I think I blacked out earlier.

I'll be back to posting pictures of MILF's tomorrow!
14th May 2007 03:01 AM
MrPleasant IMO, the thing is, _Boomy_, that most of the people are stupid and, to some degree, love to pontificate. So happiness lies on appreciating what one wants to appreciate, regardless of other people's opinions. That's the way to go.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
14th May 2007 03:42 AM
pdog
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

I think I blacked out earlier.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
14th May 2007 06:40 AM
corgi37 I think the analysis was at its zenith in the 70's, when rock was at its most pretentious.

I dont think its studied now. Its dying, or near death.
14th May 2007 10:33 AM
tumbled are all the band involved All the time??

14th May 2007 11:10 AM
Nasty Habits The trick may be to analyze stupidity to the point of rock and roll.

14th May 2007 12:14 PM
MrPleasant One thing is for sure: we need other people's opinions. If only as a reference. Later, we're on our own.
14th May 2007 12:22 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Why do people get so analytical about ROCK AND ROLL?

Crap man..it goes deeper than you know...would you believe there are people on this board who claim I can't be a true fan of the Stones because of certain political beliefs they assume I hold?...You wanna talk about micro-analyzing shit...beware the rock n' roll nazis
14th May 2007 12:27 PM
MrPleasant I really like these sites:

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/index.htm
http://markprindle.com/
http://jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/index.php
14th May 2007 01:01 PM
Gazza Definition of rock journalism: People who can’t write, doing interviews with people who can’t think, in order to prepare articles for people who can’t read."

- Frank Zappa
14th May 2007 01:13 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Definition of rock journalism: People who can’t write, doing interviews with people who can’t think, in order to prepare articles for people who can’t read."

- Frank Zappa

That was mostly true, in the seventies, involving paid journalists. However, the seventies were good for a bunch of other reasons.

[Edited by MrPleasant]
14th May 2007 02:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Rock n' Roll As A Reflection Of A Changing Society
May 14, 2007
Nebraska State Paper

The thumping of the bass vibrates neighborhood windows when the teenager drives past, blaring hip-hop or rap music.

There's a good chance the noise is coming from the vehicle of a rural student, perhaps one who's spent their entire life on the farm.

Is it rebellion? A desperate attempt to be noticed? Cultural experimentation? Or do they just like music with a strong beat that you can dance to?

From that rebel Elvis in the 1950s to the "Gangsta Rap" rattling your windows today, music has become an important extension of society, and a McCook Community College instructor is examining that relationship in a class he'll teach this fall called "The Sociology of Rock and Roll."

Like his baby-boomer brethren, Mike Hendricks grew up with rock n’ roll.

"My generation has always been associated with music and it was during our generation that rock and roll really exploded," he said.

Since the time Ed Sullivan first showcased new musical talent on his variety television show, it's been impossible to separate music from culture. Does music influence culture or does culture influence music?

"Obviously there is a symbiotic relationship there, but I think music responds to what's happening in society and this class is about looking and listening to the music of different eras and examining what was happening in our world at that time," Hendricks said.

In addition to listening and examining music from the 1950s through today, Hendricks said he will use a five-part Time-Life video/audio history as well as the most popular text book on the subject. Hendricks said the Sociology of Rock and Roll is taught at many colleges and universities.

"Nothing in society exists in a vacuum so we are going to look at that important interchange between a culture and its music," he said.

He points out that while the first "Rock and Roll" music may have created a moral stir in society, most of the songs produced from the 1950s were essentially the same love songs of previous eras -- but with a rock and roll beat.

"Really the 1950s were pretty conservative times and so were the lyrics," Hendricks said.

"But a perfect example of a changing society is heard in the Woodstock song from Country Joe and The Fish about having your boy come home in a box. It worked during the Vietnam protest, I don't think it would have worked in the '80s, but it takes on yet another new meaning with the anti-war sentiment today."

Hendricks said the class will look and listen at how civil rights and the women's movement made their way to into mainstream music. Students will study and track the cross-cultural appeal of music as well as examining the various types of protest songs -- the Vietnam War protest music, the protest against the establishment music of the Watergate era, the sexual revolution music and music protesting whatever needed to be protested at the time.

Then of course there are those songs that mean absolutely nothing.

"You see a lot of those types of songs coming out of the disco era, and there really weren't a whole lot of front-burner political or social issues happening at the time," Hendricks said.

In his time at MCC, Hendricks has taught three 2990-level or experimental type of classes in the sociology field including "Deviant Behavior," "Sociology of Sexuality," and "Domestic Abuse."

14th May 2007 03:29 PM
texile as much as i love reading rock journalism, i can't stand the pretentious blather of some rock critics.......
it makes me cringe.

turning music into an academic discourse is comical.
14th May 2007 09:38 PM
Gary Busey
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Why do people get so analytical about ROCK AND ROLL? How in the hell can you work in the media and write long articles about ROCK AND ROLL music?

Why? This ain't opera. This ain't orchestral music.

People talk about posing, retreads, been-there-done-that, and all of the other crap.

What else can be done? If something worked in the past, why not emmulate? Imitating could be misconstrued as something negative, but I don't think it's necessarily all that bad.

Ya get my point? I can't argue about ROCK AND ROLL. It's just ROCK AND ROLL. Some of it is not to my liking, but it's just ROCK AND ROLL.

[Edited by _Boomy_]

Boomy.

Face the facts, my diluted son. You are on drugs. I can help you. I can shape you into something I once was.

In my CCLS (Crash-Course Living Seminar) I will teach you how to play bike chicken, learn the meanings of words, inform you of government conspiricies, help you in "picking up chicks," and other necessary lessons you need to learn.

I will do whatever possible to change your course. This training, however, will not aid in the improvement of internet posting. You will need to attend another class for your poor and inadequate use of photos, terms, and phrasing.

You need to CHANGE!

CHANGE means:

Choosing Hope And Need, Gaining Experience.

And Remember: I LIKE TO EAT IN THE DARK.
14th May 2007 09:47 PM
sirmoonie Gary! What the hell is up, man?
14th May 2007 09:54 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
tumbled wrote:
are all the band involved All the time??

brillient

thank you for that
14th May 2007 11:31 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

beware the rock n' roll nazis

And all other "rock'n'roll" right wing reactionaries.
14th May 2007 11:34 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

And all other "rock'n'roll" right wing reactionaries.

14th May 2007 11:48 PM
gypsy One of these days you gonna run outta pictures, FijiJoe. And I'm a be laughin'.
16th May 2007 07:01 AM
corgi37 Kinda hard to tell in that clip who has the worst teeth.
16th May 2007 10:48 AM
MrPleasant
16th May 2007 08:13 PM
CraigP
quote:
Do People Analyze Rock N' Roll To The Point Of Stupidity?

I don't know, do you?

...Are you drunk?
18th May 2007 07:44 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
CraigP wrote:

I don't know, do you?

...Are you drunk?

"I don't know, do you?"

I try not to. I guess that sometimes I'll compare, but I just try to listen. But there are a lot of times when I'll listen to something and make the call on whether or not something just flat-out stinks. But it's all personal preference.

"...Are you drunk?"

I don't really get drunk. I get crunk. Like Clyde the Glide.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)