ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Greatest Western Flicks? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd May 2006 04:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels As long as we're talking about movies.

I just watched the Good the Bad and the Ugly this past weekend and I think it was For a Few Dollars More. Anyway in both those films I get the biggest kick out of Lee Van Cleef. Although really great in the Good the Bad and The Ugly, I think he nails the essence of "cool" in For a Few Dollars More, especially in the scene where he's trying have his supper and he blasts the bad guy.
22nd May 2006 04:41 PM
Honky Tonk Man Greatest western flick?

The Searchers
22nd May 2006 04:42 PM
jb Anal Cowgirls.
22nd May 2006 04:43 PM
TampabayStone Outlaw Josy Whales. Must have seen this flick a dozen times.
22nd May 2006 04:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Anal Cowgirls.

Who starred in that? I just gots to knows. One of Nanker's sheep?
22nd May 2006 04:51 PM
Joey

The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
The Unforgiven
Brokeback Mountain
22nd May 2006 05:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

Brokeback Mountain

Never seen it. Any good?
22nd May 2006 05:08 PM
Dan The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
Unforgiven
Pale Rider

Not much of a fan of the genre but these ones stand out. I havent seen The Good The Bad And The Ugly since I was about ten years old, might give it another shot.
22nd May 2006 05:10 PM
telecaster Blazing Saddles

22nd May 2006 05:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Greatest western flick?

The Searchers

That was good, but it was too long and drawn out.
22nd May 2006 05:15 PM
Joey " Never seen it. Any good? "

22nd May 2006 05:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Never seen it. Any good? "

He ain't no real cowboy. Where's his goddam gun?
22nd May 2006 05:34 PM
lotsajizz Little Big Man
High Noon
Shane
Fistfull Of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
The Wild Bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Magnificent Seven
Hang 'Em High
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance kid
Pale Rider

and, of course

Blazing Saddles

All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes--Lee Van Cleef being the Example numero uno

He was from Rhode Island

[Edited by lotsajizz]
[Edited by lotsajizz]
22nd May 2006 05:58 PM
Joey " All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes--Lee Van Cleef being the Example numero uno"

Nice .

22nd May 2006 05:59 PM
monkey_man "Straight to Hell"
22nd May 2006 09:17 PM
the good
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
As long as we're talking about movies.

I just watched the Good the Bad and the Ugly this past weekend and I think it was For a Few Dollars More. Anyway in both those films I get the biggest kick out of Lee Van Cleef. Although really great in the Good the Bad and The Ugly, I think he nails the essence of "cool" in For a Few Dollars More, especially in the scene where he's trying have his supper and he blasts the bad guy.

I know its the easy answer, but the Good, the Bad, and The Ugly really is the greatest western of all time. What really sets it apart from all the others is the brilliantly allegorical scene at the end of the film when Tuco is running through the cemetery, seaching for the grave that has the confederate gold. That scene beautifully symbolizes the seach, the quest for something, that is the essence of every man's life. But what few of us realize is that as we chase our dreams, death is the ever present specter lurking in the background,that it provides the backdrop to everything we do in the world, and that in the end, as we chase our dreams, we are all just running to the grave. Which grave? Its an unmarked grave, its the man with no name. He doesn't have a name, because he is no one in particular. He is every one of us.
Wah, wah, wah...
22nd May 2006 09:27 PM
stonedinaustralia

as westerns go those "Trinity" movies were crap but i thought they were very funny in a stupid B-grade teenage kind of way...haven't seen any of this stuff in thirty years but i do remember laughing hard
22nd May 2006 10:29 PM
Maxmeister [quote]lotsajizz wrote:
Little Big Man
High Noon
Shane
Fistfull Of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
The Wild Bunch
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Magnificent Seven
Hang 'Em High
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance kid
Pale Rider

and, of course

Blazing Saddles

All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes--Lee Van Cleef being the Example numero uno

He was from Rhode Island

You/re spot on with the Clint Eastwood flicks. High Plains Drifter is at the top for me.

Rick

23rd May 2006 07:25 AM
egon
23rd May 2006 07:59 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:
You/re spot on with the Clint Eastwood flicks. High Plains Drifter is at the top for me.

Rick

oops--forgot that one, you're dead right!! I love the final scene...

wasn't the Skipper in that one?

23rd May 2006 08:03 AM
Twostoned
quote:
the good wrote:

I know its the easy answer, but the Good, the Bad, and The Ugly really is the greatest western of all time. What really sets it apart from all the others is the brilliantly allegorical scene at the end of the film when Tuco is running through the cemetery, seaching for the grave that has the confederate gold. That scene beautifully symbolizes the seach, the quest for something, that is the essence of every man's life. But what few of us realize is that as we chase our dreams, death is the ever present specter lurking in the background,that it provides the backdrop to everything we do in the world, and that in the end, as we chase our dreams, we are all just running to the grave. Which grave? Its an unmarked grave, its the man with no name. He doesn't have a name, because he is no one in particular. He is every one of us.
Wah, wah, wah...

That's my favorite scene! Thanks for articulating it.
23rd May 2006 08:22 AM
lotsajizz you know, for a single scene in a Western, it's tough to beat that last one in 'The Wild Bunch'

I loved Peckinpagh

23rd May 2006 08:27 AM
Factory Girl Misfits.
23rd May 2006 08:35 AM
stonedinaustralia yes FG

let's not forget Dead Man

robert mitchum's last great turn

does "river of no return" count as a western - if so it rates
23rd May 2006 08:51 AM
kovach Hang 'Em High
23rd May 2006 12:54 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Red River (hasn't been mentioned yet?)
The Searchers
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
My Darling Clementine
Once Upon a Time in the West
Unforgiven
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
Ride the High Country
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Bravo
Destry Rides Again
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Ox-Bow Incident
Stagecoach
23rd May 2006 02:56 PM
Joey " I know its the easy answer, but the Good, the Bad, and The Ugly really is the greatest western of all time. What really sets it apart from all the others is the brilliantly allegorical scene at the end of the film when Tuco is running through the cemetery, seaching for the grave that has the confederate gold. That scene beautifully symbolizes the seach, the quest for something, that is the essence of every man's life. But what few of us realize is that as we chase our dreams, death is the ever present specter lurking in the background,that it provides the backdrop to everything we do in the world, and that in the end, as we chase our dreams, we are all just running to the grave. Which grave? Its an unmarked grave, its the man with no name. He doesn't have a name, because he is no one in particular. He is every one of us. "

23rd May 2006 05:35 PM
the good I'm sorry, did my post put you to sleep Joey?
23rd May 2006 06:52 PM
Joey " I'm sorry, did my post put you to sleep Joey? "

[cc:ss]
[Edited by Joey]
23rd May 2006 08:16 PM
the good Funny man, Joey. Funny man!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)