ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

May 1969... days before passing
Very special thanks to the annonimous donator ;)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blondie on A&E last night (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 8th, 2004 01:14 PM
Martha Did anyone catch Blondie performing on A&E's Live By Request last night??? It JAMMED!

I taped it........:-)
May 8th, 2004 01:31 PM
Funky Punk Woman Did they play their cover of "Heroes"? I love it
May 8th, 2004 01:46 PM
Lazy Bones Not up my alley - but I caught a little bit. She's got a hard-edged look to her now. Almost mean.

If she had the smoker/drinker (reminds me of that Joe Walsh album - The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get) scratchiness in her vocals, it would add to her aura.
May 8th, 2004 02:04 PM
J.J.Flash Yeah Martha, I've noticed, but haven't watched it...

I've never heard her music...

Is that worth?

TIA
May 8th, 2004 03:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot The band was good...Debbie was really bad. She had absolutely no zip in her voice...it was like she was bored.

My grade: C+
May 8th, 2004 03:54 PM
telecaster It was pretty good and I she sounded very good

Chris Stien is the most annoying human being to ever grace a stage
May 8th, 2004 04:07 PM
Bloozehound you have pm telecaster
May 8th, 2004 06:18 PM
luxury1 I thought this was regarding Blondie Chaplin. I kinda like that weirdo. He has been very gracious to me whenever I;ve been in his company, and all the musicians surrounding him keep telling me how talented (?) he is. I still think MaxLugar is right however, he could be holding for Keith........
and I forget who said it--but he does look like SIdeshow Bob from the Simpsons.
Ok, back to Blondie the band.....
May 8th, 2004 06:30 PM
LadyJane Same here Lux!! Thought..Why is Blondie Chaplin on A&E?

Debbie Harry really disappointed me on the VH1 Divas show. Her voice isn't what it used to be.

Cyndi Lauper on the other hand kicked ass!!

LJ.
May 8th, 2004 06:59 PM
Highway Child Hi Martha

I'm very interested by this tape. If you wanna trade, Email me : [email protected].
Even if it's on VHS, you can choose a DVD in my list.
Cheers
Erwan
May 8th, 2004 07:54 PM
glencar Blondie Chaplin seems to be unable to hold anything for anyone at this point.

I missed Blondie & it doesn't like A&E repeats these things too often. Oh well.
May 8th, 2004 08:04 PM
beer Did anyone see Jack White and Loretta Lynn on Letterman monnday night??? I guess they played the song 'Portland Oregon' off of Lynn's new album. I only found out they were on Letterman after it happened. SOOOO if anyone got to see it, how was it?
May 8th, 2004 09:00 PM
glencar It was discussed earlier by others & the consensus seemed to be that it was aiiight but another song would have been better.
May 8th, 2004 10:04 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE THE LOOK ON BLONDIE'S FACE WHEN MICK IS TRYING TO TEACH HIM THE PERCUSSION OF SLAVE.BLONDIE GOT IT DOWN, BUT THE GUITARS DIDNT.
May 9th, 2004 10:49 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The band was good...Debbie was really bad. She had absolutely no zip in her voice...it was like she was bored.

Isn't that her schtick? Even in her "heyday" she sounded bored. I always figured ennui was a big part of their image anyway.

I could care less, personally. The only thing I ever liked about Blondie was Clem Burke's drumming in some of their stuff, and I don't buy albums on the basis of how good the drummer is.

The strongest thing Blondie had going for them to begin with was Debbie Harry's looks, and they certainly haven't held up. It made sense when she was trying to remodel herself as a torch singer a few years ago - she could be the next Rosemary Clooney IF she could sing. Reforming Blondie is ridiculous, imho. It's obvious they're doing it because they need the money, and their main selling point is long gone.

She's not a hottie anymore.
May 9th, 2004 11:24 AM
sirmoonie I only caught here signing Rapture and felt embarrased for her. Shades of that rapping grandma commercial from a few years back.
May 9th, 2004 12:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot No Flea, you had to see it...it was like she was ACTUALLY bored. That song from American Gigilo..Call Me..was so lifeless that I thought maybe it was being sung by robots.

Funny enough, I kinda liked the songs that they did from the new album. They certainly had more enthusiasm for those.

Oh, and for those of you that missed it...I've seen it on at least twice more as I was flippin' through the channels.

Really though, you have much better use of your time. It really wasn't very good. In fact, I change my grade from a C+ to a D. Just because of "Call Me" and "Rapture", oh, and "The Tide Is High". Debbie really screwed the pooch on that one too.
May 9th, 2004 12:53 PM
Bloozehound My chick started watching this Friday night, I promptly left the room to enjoy a stoggie on the patio.

From what little I saw she did look lifeless and bored, but from what little I know about D. Harry I thought this was just part of her stage persona.

Wasn't she is some weird 80's film by Cronenberg ? She was pretty dull in that too.
May 9th, 2004 02:03 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
Blondie Chaplin seems to be unable to hold anything for anyone at this point.

I missed Blondie & it doesn't like A&E repeats these things too often. Oh well.

LMK if you want me to send you a VHS of the show glencar. As of now I've got 6 tapes that I can send.

Martha
May 9th, 2004 02:04 PM
Martha
quote:
Highway Child wrote:
Hi Martha

I'm very interested by this tape. If you wanna trade, Email me : [email protected].
Even if it's on VHS, you can choose a DVD in my list.
Cheers
Erwan

It's a deal!

Email sent!

Thanks,
Martha
May 9th, 2004 02:12 PM
Martha I don't agree with those of you who didn't like the show or Blondie in general. I thought it was great. AndI'm not a big long time fan, I never got into her stuff other than listening to it on the radio, back when I listened to the radio, which I no longer do. Bing able to listen to this show on our great stereo enhanced the sound a lot, which I think is the main reason rock androll shows typically do not translate well on TV.

Bored, I don't get that. I like her persona. I thought they rocked and hard. By song three I was convinced I have to catch them on this year's tour.

Oh well, to each their own.

And I thought Jack and Loretta were a gas on Letterman. :-)

rock on,
Martha

May 9th, 2004 06:38 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:
I don't agree with those of you who didn't like the show or Blondie in general. Oh well, to each their own.

And I thought Jack and Loretta were a gas on Letterman. :-)

Yeah, totally a matter of taste - I hope my comments caused no undue umbrage and am pretty sure they didn't. Opinions are like assholes and I am one.

Say what you will about Debbie, she ain't no Loretta Lynn (smooth segue, eh?)

I missed Jack & Loretta on Letterman, but I did catch them on the Today Show where they did "Family Tree". Now THAT's just a plain old Lo-retta song, no appreciable Jack influence, and he just strummed acoustic with a cool cowboy shirt on. The only thing he said during the interview was that he agreed with everything Loretta said. It was pretty neat.

Am I right that she's SEVENTY now? Seems ageless.
May 9th, 2004 08:22 PM
rocker two comments about the show, cuz i saw it.

(1) blondie is still hot. i'd do her in heatbeat. i have a thing for older women.

(2) the drummer kicks ass
May 11th, 2004 11:34 AM
jb
quote:
rocker wrote:
two comments about the show, cuz i saw it.

(1) blondie is still hot. i'd do her in heatbeat. i have a thing for older women.

(2) the drummer kicks ass

Blondie has called Jagger and Bowie two old queens...considering she is a fat ass has been, she has a lot of nerve.
May 11th, 2004 12:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot I saw some of that Blondie thing on A&E again.

I was wrong about it.

It was far worse than I thought it was.

Is there a grade lower than F- ? If there is, that is what I give it.
May 11th, 2004 01:22 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I'm not NOT licking toads...

www.howemilitary.com
May 11th, 2004 01:25 PM
telecaster Blondies outfit looked like 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag

May 11th, 2004 01:33 PM
Bloozehound lol yeah she had a pooch
May 11th, 2004 01:35 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Blondies outfit looked like 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag

I always hated her and what she stood for.
May 11th, 2004 02:54 PM
UGot2Rollme Didn't see the show, but I think Blondie's (relatively) new song "Maria" is quite good - it also gets alot of air play in Europe.

I, too, am quite annoyed by Chris Stein, but maybe it's partial jealousy becase he was with Debbie when she was a kitten.
Page: 1 2