ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Palazzo del Ghiaccio, Milano, Italia - 8 Aprile del 1967
© Giovanni Liverani with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Better Live now, than ever before? Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th May 2007 11:49 AM
Collinstephens I truly feel that the Stones are so much better now, performing live than they ever have been. They have everything down to a science, and it really sounds great. What do you all think?
9th May 2007 11:55 AM
Joey
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
I truly feel that the Stones are so much better now, performing live than they ever have been. They have everything down to a science, and it really sounds great. What do you all think?

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!

W- W- What ?! ..... Oh , sure ! :

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

9th May 2007 12:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
I truly feel that the Stones are so much better now, performing live than they ever have been. They have everything down to a science, and it really sounds great. What do you all think?

is anyone surprised that the 289,572nd time playing Honkeytonk Woman sounds noticeably better than the 1st time it was played?
9th May 2007 12:58 PM
gimmekeef I have enjoyed the recent version greatly....But if you dont have the boot Brussels 73....then please after you hear it let me know if you still feel they are best now...
9th May 2007 01:03 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:

Are you kidding us?
9th May 2007 01:36 PM
Collinstephens No I am not kidding you all. I turly feel what I said before. Practicing and performing songs 500,000 times will make you better, and it is more enjoyable to listen to. No, I have never listened to the boot Brussels 73...if you have it, I would like to hear it so I can make a more infomred decision.
9th May 2007 01:48 PM
Scottfree Oh, Handsome Girls 78, and some of the 81 stuff... Keith could actually play then, and Ronnie actually did play at that point....
9th May 2007 01:50 PM
twicks1 Not sure if I agree with the "playing it half a million times makes it better" argument, but there are plenty of recent boots I enjoy more than the sacred "Brussels 73" or "Handsome Girls."

9th May 2007 01:57 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Joey wrote:

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!!

W- W- What ?! ..... Oh , sure ! :

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

9th May 2007 02:11 PM
ExileInLA I'll take the 72 tour, 73 tour, the 69 tour, and even the 78 tour before 2002. as far as 2007 goes, i'll first take 1994, 1976, 1989, and 1981 before 2005. and 2007 still isn't registering. 2005 was bad. straight up bad. 2007? gonna be miserable. count on it.
9th May 2007 03:49 PM
mrhipfl They're more entertaining now than in the past, but musically speaking their performances are nowhere near what they once were.
9th May 2007 03:54 PM
FotiniD
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
Practicing and performing songs 500,000 times will make you better, and it is more enjoyable to listen to.

It will also make you 500.000 times more tired -and bored, occasionally.

I enjoy a Stones gig 100% and I'll be the last to complain about their live performances, but if we are to be realistic, you can't compare a band at its prime to what it sounds like live some twenty years later. They're still too damn good, which says a lot about the levels they've reached, imo.
9th May 2007 03:58 PM
mojoman before what?
9th May 2007 03:58 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:
before what?

THE SAM YAHEL ORGAN TRIO !!!!!

[Edited by Sniggles ]

[Edited by Joey]
9th May 2007 04:06 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

is anyone surprised that the 289,572nd time playing Honkeytonk Woman sounds noticeably better than the 1st time it was played?

if you don't exhale it does sound better.....
9th May 2007 04:28 PM
sammy davis jr. Even with all the additional players and three back-up (lead) singers they have now, they were better live years ago. I thought they sounded overall best around the Steel Wheels tour. Technology has improved wonders since the 70's and even 80's also. I have relistened to Brussels lately, and I am not as enamored with it as I once was. Sure it's good, but the arrangements are somewhat flat. Playing a song 150,00 times can suck the life out of it sometimes.
9th May 2007 05:22 PM
MRD8 I first saw them 42 years ago last Sunday so I can tell you that they were MUCH better years ago than they are now! The couple of Bigger Bang tour shows I saw were boring...imagine a Stones show being boring! The last time they were really great for an entire tour was 1981...then it was just them, Stu and Ian and a sax player...now they are the "Vegas Stones" with all the extra musicians and staging!
[Edited by MRD8]
9th May 2007 05:24 PM
Joey
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
The last time they were really great for an entire tour was 1981...then it was just them, Stu and Ian and a sax player...now they are the "Vegas Stones" with all the extra musicians and staging!

I feel ya Bob .....

Whenever I hear boots from the 1981 tour I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " . Indeed , I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me .

JJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
9th May 2007 05:28 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Joey wrote:

I feel ya Bob .....

Whenever I hear boots from the 1981 tour I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " . Indeed , I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me .

JJJJJJJJJJJACKY !

10th May 2007 02:33 PM
texile more polished maybe, and as you said, scientific - but you can't compare that raw live energy of their prime years to now.
10th May 2007 02:47 PM
twicks1 It's a tradeoff...there's less raw energy now, but the arrangements are fuller, tempos are steadier, etc. These things can be good and bad, I guess it's a matter of taste.

Still, there are lots of songs from "Brussels Affair" that I think the Stones play better now. "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man" come to mind.
10th May 2007 02:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Still, there are lots of songs from "Brussels Affair" that I think the Stones play better now. "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man" come to mind.

LOL...you mean theyre playing those two 'better' because theyre not playing them at all?
10th May 2007 03:01 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL...you mean theyre playing those two 'better' because theyre not playing them at all?

Gazza ...................................

I will not be at the Brazen Head tomorrow evening -- I plan on making a ' Pub Crawl ' throughout the OLD MARKET DISTRICT with the final stop being : " MR. TOADS " . Yes , Keith Moon plans on coming with us so please say a prayer .

First " Jaggerbomb " is for you ..

Oh , and please do not forget that the band " Fairbanks " ( out of Kansas City ) will be performing live and in concert at THE BRAZEN HEAD Memorial Day Weekend !!!!

What time will you be arriving at the airport that Friday ?! Perhaps you can get to the Pub before Happy Hour .

Developing .............................

|
|
V

www.BEAZENHEADPUB.com

10th May 2007 03:01 PM
twicks1 "Now" meaning the last few tours. Sheesh...
10th May 2007 06:24 PM
Lazy Bones For some reason, I feel like I'm getting less for my money...
10th May 2007 06:32 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:

sure they are still the best

but i think mick had more energy back in 81...
on the hampton dvd he is really shaking his bon bon

i very much enjoyed my 3 bigger bang shows and i hope they come to the usa again.
10th May 2007 06:42 PM
full moon For Christs sakes!! Wake up. Live in the real world. That is ridiculous..
10th May 2007 07:56 PM
Steel Wheels The Atlantic City show was brilliant. Are the Stones on top of their game? Every time I see them they are. And that's all that matters to me.
11th May 2007 09:34 AM
twicks1 Listened to "Brussels Affair" again last night to make sure I'm not insane...and I'm not. Listen to "Tumbling Dice" from there. Yeah, Mick is singing great, guitars are nice and raunchy...but the tempo is totally dragging. It almost sounds like a different song from the "Exile" version.

I'll take the current live rendition. But that's just me.
11th May 2007 01:20 PM
MikeyC613 does anyone have Brussels on MP3??

I need to hear me some Goats Head Stones
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)