ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
1997 doing the same
Announcing a new album and a new tour, Brooklyn Bridge, NYC August 18, 1997
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen "Devils & Dust" Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 18th, 2005 12:09 PM
wisertime Anyone has heard the album yet ?
It's already available to download somewhere on the net, I listened to it 3 times during the afternoon, very good album. Not really a Tom Joad style LP, even if there are some tracks only acoustic without band.

April 18th, 2005 12:18 PM
Gazza I've just heard the title track and its not bad, although I'll wait until the album is released next Monday before I really judge it.

A new Bruce album and tour is always a big deal for me. I got shafted on the ticket sale for Dublin (it sold out in two minutes officially although it seemed like two seconds) but thankfully a friend who's a journalist for a local paper managed to call in a few favours and got us good seats.

I've heard there are some rock tracks on it too. Its not supposed to be THAT similar in style to "Tom Joad"/ Some country on it too, which I think is a musical form Bruce hasnt explored enough for my liking.
April 18th, 2005 12:25 PM
wisertime Yes there are 2 or 3 tracks that are much rock, "All The Way Home", "Long Time Comin'" and an other one but I can't remember.
I won't go to see Bruce on this tour, tickets price are very expensive. Even if it worth the price ..
April 18th, 2005 02:12 PM
Gazza They're only 70 - 85 Euro, which isnt bad for a theatre gig, really.

You do have impeccable taste, sir - Bruce, Dylan & The Stones. My three favourite artists.

I notice you're in the north of France. I was hoping Bruce's Paris show would coincide with my holiday there in early June, but unfortunately its a week after I come home.
April 18th, 2005 02:25 PM
wisertime Thanks Gazza. In fact, I was hoping to see him in Brussels because it's a smaller venue than Paris Bercy but it was impossible to have tickets, Bercy seems too big for me, I don't understand why he plays this venue for an acoustic set. Even though I saw him with the ESB at Stade de France and it was great!! It'll be easier to have tickets for Paris than other countries as usual. Maybe I'll buy tickets..
April 18th, 2005 02:40 PM
Mel Belli He's playing a venue in Northern Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C., that seems kind of big (seats 10k, I think) compared to the theaters he's playing in other American cities. I was hoping to see him in a 3,000-seat venue, but I'm outta luck.
April 18th, 2005 03:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
wisertime wrote:
Thanks Gazza. In fact, I was hoping to see him in Brussels because it's a smaller venue than Paris Bercy but it was impossible to have tickets, Bercy seems too big for me, I don't understand why he plays this venue for an acoustic set. Even though I saw him with the ESB at Stade de France and it was great!! It'll be easier to have tickets for Paris than other countries as usual. Maybe I'll buy tickets..

Brussels is on my birthday. Had I been able to get a direct flight like I can to Amsterdam & Paris, I'd have gone to that one.

He's not playing the full sized arena at Bercy. To the best of my knowledge, some of the shows are in arenas but they have been reduced in capacity to 'theatre' size. (eg New jersey and (melbelli) I presume that arena in Fairfax, Va.) However, there are lots of excellent smaller venues in Paris like Palais des Congres, Zenith and Olympia that he could have played so it is a strange choice

I saw Dylan at Bercy in 1987 on my honeymoon. Its a good venue for such a large place.
April 18th, 2005 09:19 PM
mac_daddy you got away with a concert on your honeymoon..? my old lady would never have gone for that. maybe she would have, but i wouldnt have been allowed to tape

for the record - i was shut out on the twp pantages gigs here within seconds of them going on sale - i was in, and then tm dropped me, and i was done. but when i got in, i was still in the balcony section...

i am with you gazza - i think the fix is in! the whole ticket buying thing is completely rigged.

fwiw - bruce was $80 ticket (plus fees) and dylan was $75 (plus fees)
April 18th, 2005 09:58 PM
GimmeExile mac_daddy:

Keep checking TM frequently, especially in the few days before the shows. Bruce drops tickets for all of his shows.

I scored a 6th row ticket today to his first warm-up show at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park this Thursday!
April 18th, 2005 10:03 PM
Soldatti I like the new single, it's classic Bruce.
April 19th, 2005 08:18 AM
peterdv Hi Gazza
then i'll be partying on your Birthday together with Bruce as it will be me only concert , or maybe i can go to Dusseldorf (if i may from my wife ..) ..But ticket prices in Bxl are a bit more expensive, i have b-13 nr 158/159 and these are excellent seatings, 91 euro each ..but hell seeing him at Vorst Nationaal will be super :-) can hardly wait ...and yes the new album is a bit of a mix, accoustic and 'kinda semi' electrical, not as dark as Tom Joad...(a friend went to a listeningsession yesterday - so first hand information that is )
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce :-)
Peter
April 19th, 2005 09:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
you got away with a concert on your honeymoon..? my old lady would never have gone for that. maybe she would have, but i wouldnt have been allowed to tape

I actually got to three. LOL. We went to Paris with a couple of days in London at either side of it. A friend bought us tickets to see BB King at the Albert Hall as a gift, I saw Dylan in Paris and he was due to play his first of four London shows the day I was due to come home. We extended the holiday by one day to catch him at Wembley. I hasten to add that Mrs Gazza did go to all 3 shows
[Edited by Gazza]
April 23rd, 2005 01:50 PM
time is on my side For what it's worth, I just picked up a copy of Rolling Stone and they gave Devils and Dust a great review- ****1/2 stars

In addition, the all music guide gave Devils and Dust a four star rating. Here's a copy of their review:

Every decade or so, Bruce Springsteen releases a somber album of narrative songs, character sketches and folk tunes — records that play not like rock & roll, but rather as a collection of short stories. Nebraska, released in the fall of 1982 during the rise of Reagan's America, was the first of these, with the brooding The Ghost of Tom Joad following in 1995, in the thick of the Clinton adminstration but before the heady boom days of the late '90s. At the midpoint of George W. Bush's administration, Springsteen released Devils & Dust, another collection of story songs that would seem on the surface to be a companion to Nebraska and Ghost, but in actuality it's quite a different record than either. While the characters that roam through Devils & Dust are similarly heartbroken, desperate and down-trodden, they're far removed from the criminals and renegades of Nebraska, and the album doesn't have the political immediacy of Ghost's latter-day Woody Guthrie-styled tales — themes that tied together those two albums. Here, the songs and stories are loosely connected. Several are set in the West, some are despairing, some have signs of hope, a couple are even sweet and light. Springsteen's writing is similarly varied, occasionally hearkening back to the spare, dusty prose of Nebraska but often it's densely composed, assured and evocative, written as if they were meant to be read aloud, not sung. But the key to Devils & Dust, and why it's his strongest record in a long time, is that the music is as vivid and varied as words. Unlike the meditative, monochromatic The Ghost of Tom Joad, this has different shades of color, so somber epics like "The Hitter" or the sad, lonely "Reno" are balanced by the lighter "Long Time Comin'," "Maria's Bed" and "All I'm Thinkin' About," while the moodier "Black Cowboys" and "Devils & Dust" are enhanced by subtly cinematic productions. It results in a record that's far removed in feel from the stark, haunting Nebraska, but on a song for song level, it's nearly as strong, since its stories linger in the imagination as long as the ones from that '82 masterpiece (and they stick around longer than those from Ghost, as well). Devils & Dust is also concise and precisely constructed, two things the otherwise excellent 2002 comeback The Rising was not, and that sharp focus helps make this the leanest, artiest and simply best record Springsteen has made in many years. [Devils & Dust is being released only as a DualDisc, a disc that contains a CD on one side and a DVD on the flip. The DVD contains a 5.1 mix of the album, plus a 30-minute film containing interviews with Springsteen and footage of him performing five songs live in the upstairs of a house; in other words, it's a staged performance, not a concert. The interviews are enjoyable, if not particularly interesting, while the live acoustic performances are not strictly unadorned — "Reno" has pianos and synthesizers discreetly murmuring in the background, "All I'm Thinkin' About" has synths and backing vocals. It's a fine little film, but not something that would merit frequent repeat viewings. The CD side appears to be copy-protected — it did not read in either a PC with Windows XP or a Mac with OSX, so it can not easily be ripped as MP3s.]

Tracks

Title
Composer
Time

1 Devils + Dust Springsteen 4:58
2 All the Way Home Springsteen 3:38
3 Reno Springsteen 4:08
4 Long Time Comin' Springsteen 4:17
5 Black Cowboys Springsteen 4:08
6 Maria's Bed Springsteen 5:35
7 Silver Palomino Springsteen 3:22
8 Jesus Was an Only Son Springsteen 2:54
9 Leah Springsteen 3:31
10 The Hitter Springsteen 5:53
11 All I'm Thinkin' About Springsteen 4:22
12 Matamoros Banks Springsteen 4:00

So the early reviews have all been very positive. Can't wait to pick up a copy.

[Edited by time is on my side]
April 23rd, 2005 06:05 PM
Gazza Nine of the new songs were played at the first warm up show that I downloaded on EZT

It's a bit strange to hear them all before the album was released, but even in this form they sound very good.

Looking forward to 9 am on Monday! I'll be listenin' to it in work about ten minutes later!
April 23rd, 2005 06:59 PM
Mel Belli What's EZT and where can I get it?!
April 23rd, 2005 07:34 PM
MRD8 EZT stand for Easytree...it is now Dimeadozen.org...go there and register and get the Bit Torrent and FLAC software free...then down the stuff Gazza was talking about as well as thousands of other great audio/DVD's!
April 23rd, 2005 08:38 PM
Mel Belli Thanks. Just checked, and the registry is full-up.
April 23rd, 2005 09:20 PM
Gazza oops.."old habits die hard" as someone said....

I still tend to call it easytree

The registration is at it's 100,000 capacity but check back every so often and you might get in..people do leave or get kicked off.

If you need this Asbury Park show, let me know and I can send it to you.
April 23rd, 2005 10:52 PM
Mel Belli Gazza, thanks much for the offer, but I think I wanna wait till I see the show myself. I'm kicking myself for looking at the Backstreets.com reports about the rehearsal gigs, and ruining the surprise. "Part Man, Part Monkey"!
April 23rd, 2005 11:09 PM
Nasty Habits Part Man, Part Monkey?!?

Now way!!

April 24th, 2005 12:11 PM
Gazza 'Way!

and quite a different and much improved version too!

Check out how few of Bruce's best known songs were played at that opening show.

Only "My hometown" and "The rising" could be described as big-ish hits. Nothing at all from "Born to run" or "The River" and only one song from "Born in the USA" and "Darkness".

When he warned casual fans about it NOT being a greatest hits acoustic-style tour he wasnt kidding.

I hope he keeps the rest of the setlists as diehard-friendly as that one.
April 25th, 2005 05:04 AM
Gazza just listening to the album for the first time after buying it on the way into work

And fuck me, but its brilliant. I've fallen in love with it right away. What superb songwriting.

as Steve van Zandt said a few years back : "sometimes he's so good, it makes you just wanna hit him.."
April 25th, 2005 12:13 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
just listening to the album for the first time after buying it on the way into work

And fuck me, but its brilliant. I've fallen in love with it right away. What superb songwriting.

as Steve van Zandt said a few years back : "sometimes he's so good, it makes you just wanna hit him.."

Thanks Gary for the heads up! I'm heading to Best Buy tomorrow!
April 25th, 2005 07:14 PM
Soldatti I will buy it tomorrow too.
April 25th, 2005 09:27 PM
time is on my side Hey, that's what I'm going to do.
April 25th, 2005 09:54 PM
Lazy Bones Damn peer pressure...
April 25th, 2005 11:34 PM
BILL PERKS ATLANTIC CITY IS MY FAV BRUCE SONG
April 26th, 2005 02:51 PM
GimmeExile I just picked up Devils & Dust. Be careful before putting it in your car CD player. Because it's a DualDisc (and slightly thicker than a standard CD) some people are reporting that it won't play in the car and, worse, that they can't get it out of the CD player.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to playing it tonight. New Bruce albums are always big days in my book.
April 26th, 2005 07:13 PM
time is on my side Brilliant album (hard to describe as it has some similiarites to both Nebraska and Ghost of Tom Joad but appears to be a unique album in the Springsteen canon). Loved all of it. There is even a reference to the Stones in the song All the Way Home and a warning of a song containing adult imagery (one of the characters about to have sex with a prostitute in Reno).

The dual disc format is great!!! Played the album at work on the DVD side while looking at the lyrics on the computer screen.

[Edited by time is on my side]
April 26th, 2005 07:54 PM
Gazza Musically some of the rockier tracks remind me more of the style of "Lucky Town", actually.

It would be easy to label it in with Nebraska and Tom Joad, but lyrically the songs aren't as bleak and,of course, there's more to them musically. They're a bit more country and bluesy. Its maybe not as easily accessible to a lot of people as some Bruce albums would be (although speaking personally, I listened to it for 8 hours straight in work all day yesterday..lol)

His lyrical style on this record is different to anything I've heard from him before too. And yeah, it's a bit weird to read a Bruce Springsteen lyric which so graphically describes anal sex....lol

It's still a bit strange to hear such a rock arrangement of "All the way home" as I've been so used to the ballad version by Southside Johnny which Bruce gave him 14 years ago! Oddly enough, I never noticed the Stones reference before ("now it's some old Stones song the band is trashin'")

Did you notice that on "Maria's Bed", he's lifted a few lines from "Further On Up The Road"? Maybe the two songs are linked in some way.

I really love the use of strings on it, especially Soozie Tyrell's violin. I thought she added a lot to the last album and tour (especially on the live versions of "Johnny 99").

My early personal favourite is "Long Time Comin'" (I've always thought he should do more country style rockers in this style), plus "The Hitter", "Matamoros Banks", "Black Cowboys" and "Leah" (love that mariachi-style trumpet part!).

[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour