ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cult Western Movies Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 10th, 2004 08:47 AM
polksalad69
April 10th, 2004 02:17 PM
Chuck High Noon (Cooper, Kelly)

One Eyed Jacks (Brando, Malden)

The Appaloosa (Brando)

Once Upon A Time In The West (Fonda, Robards, Bronson)

April 10th, 2004 05:09 PM
MrPleasant M.U.I.: Oddly enough, a Keith Richards used to appear on westerns.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0724188/

April 10th, 2004 05:36 PM
Gazza I like One Eyed Jacks too. But then I'm a bit of sucker for Brando in anything. It's also the only film he ever directed.

But my fave other westerns would probably be anything out of The Unforgiven, Stagecoach, The Searchers, Good,Bad & the Ugly.

but if I had to pick one - Once Upon A Time In The West. Great score, too.
April 10th, 2004 06:39 PM
Bloozehound First of all,

Cant Catch Me said,

>"Unforgiven" is pretty damn good.<

Wrong!

Unforgiven was fucking excellent!

One of Eastwood's finest moments and one of the best westerns ever, period.

Polksalad, major thumbs up, that Westworld poster is classic.

One Eyed Jacks! Underrated, over looked masterpiece. (Reminds me, I have this on dvd, I should pop it in sometime, haven't seen it in years)

Both Peckinpaw and Kubrick were both attached to this film at one point. I think Peckinpaw wrote it as a reinterpretation of the Billy the kid legend. Brando as Billy, and ol' potato-nose (steve mcqueen called him this) Karl Malden as Pat Garrett. Definitely cultish western and a true classic.

Gazza, hell yea to Stagecoach!

How could we've forgotten Stagecoach, it's practically the one that started them all. Wayne and John Fords first masterpiece, mucho thumbs up!!

1. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (ok not really a traditional western, more like a modern day one, but it sports one of the coolest titles of all time for an action flick and its a great, action packed, bloody little gem.

2. El Dorado (i've always liked this one, not the greatest movie, but the duke and bobby mitchum, what's not to like?)

3. A Man Called Horse (ol' english bob goes native and gets hung up by his teets. Saw this as a kid and it made a lasting impression on me lol)

April 10th, 2004 08:02 PM
mac_daddy wait til ya see Kill Bill (vol. 2) - it's where the payoff is, so if we are going loose with the genre, I'll add it to this thread...

and Easy Rider gets my vote over all of 'em - hands down!

April 10th, 2004 08:17 PM
Bloozehound
Here's the first of the day, fellas!
To old D.H. Lawrence!

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians.

p.s. I wish I knew how to post those pretty pictures, I've found some good ones I'd really like to share...

April 10th, 2004 08:21 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Here's the first of the day, fellas!
To old D.H. Lawrence!

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians.

p.s. I wish I knew how to post those pretty pictures, I've found some good ones I'd really like to share...

the same way you just posted that frown...

right-click a picture > save image location

paste that URL between the img []'s

April 10th, 2004 09:04 PM
Bloozehound speaking of Jack

These first two are definite cult westerns Jack did with Monte Hellmen back in his Roger Corman days (late 60's). The other two aren't the greatest westerns, but classic, post-Cuckoo's Nest academy award, nose full of chalk, hamming-it-up Jack.

Ride in the Whirlwind

The Shooting

The Missouri Breaks

Goin' South

^^^WOOHOO! Thanks mac!^^^^

One eyed jack is a gonna go peeping in a seafood factory

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 11th, 2004 02:21 AM
marko Well,Eastwood is my fave actor of all time.Mystic River was
simply fantastic,even he just only directed it.well these
are my fave western movies
1.Good bad&the ugly
2.high plains drifter
3.once upon a time in the west
4.the unforgiven

but also many seems to forget these classic movies,eastwood
as well
Fistfull of dollars
Only few dollars more
Outlaw josey wales
2 mules for sister sara
Pale Rider(great filming,beatifull landscape)

also many forgets this
Butch kassidy&Sundance Kid EX movie
April 11th, 2004 02:28 AM
Bloozehound senor marko has fan-ta-stick taste

lets gif it up cowboys!!

April 11th, 2004 02:32 AM
marko Senor??hehe i´ve been crazy bastard so far...
April 11th, 2004 06:54 AM
JaggaRichards 'Go West'-the Marx Brothers!
April 11th, 2004 08:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
marko wrote:
Well,Eastwood is my fave actor of all time.,

Here a couple of my fave's. Cisco (Duncan Renaldo) & Panco (Leo Carrillo). I especially liked their guns..."six-shooters" that could be fired 20-30 times without being reloaded.

April 11th, 2004 02:13 PM
Bloozehound Sailor (to Pace)

"Oiga, amigo. If ever somethin'
don't feel right to you, remember what
Pancho said to The Cisco Kid...
'Let's went, before we are dancing at
the end of a rope, without music."

April 11th, 2004 05:50 PM
stewed & Keefed
April 11th, 2004 05:59 PM
Bloozehound Young Guns was just on tv, so i watched it. Loved this flick when it first came out. It's still holds up and is a pretty good western.

"Did you guys see the size of that chicken !?!"

"Because we're in the spirit world, asshole. They can't see us."

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 11th, 2004 06:06 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

April 11th, 2004 07:45 PM
J.J.Flash I just would like to say, Clint Eastwood, you are a sort of Keith Richards. I love you man, all my life! Thank you!
April 11th, 2004 08:25 PM
Bloozehound What is Clint's best western ?

I'm going to stick to my guns so to speak and say Unforgiven, true some of the spagehtti era ones are classics, but Unforgiven was just such a damn fine movie.

Clints best war flick

(lol I just realized i hadn't finish this post before i hit enter )
[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 11th, 2004 10:18 PM
Cant Catch Me Shit, I said John Woo's "The Killer" is set in Japan, duh, when it's really a classic of the Hong Kong action genre and therefore set in Hong Kong. It's an excellent flick, thematically in the Western canon, starring the then relatively unknown in the West Chow Yun Fat, so check it out if you haven't before.

Other great Woo Hong Kong flicks incluse "Hard Boiled" and "Bullet in the Brain" (love the title!).
April 11th, 2004 10:48 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Bloozehound asked:
what is clints best western ?

I like the Fistfull of Dynamite and High Plains Drifter...

the consensus here seems to be the Good the Bad and the Ugly

you can't go wrong with any of the three...

quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
Shit, I said John Woo's "The Killer" is set in Japan, duh, when it's really a classic of the Hong Kong action genre and therefore set in Hong Kong. It's an excellent flick, thematically in the Western canon, starring the then relatively unknown in the West Chow Yun Fat, so check it out if you haven't before.

Other great Woo Hong Kong flicks incluse "Hard Boiled" and "Bullet in the Brain" (love the title!).

I like Hard Boiled...

I also a big fan of the Jet Li stuff, too - The Enforcer, Fists of Legend, and the best one - Once Upon a Time in China.
April 11th, 2004 10:55 PM
Bloozehound The Killer is my favorite John Woo action flick.

I've never been able to track down "Bullet in the Head" Isn't it a war film ?

Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow I & II are good too, but the Killer is the best one.

Chow Yun Fat is just one cool mofo in it.

April 11th, 2004 10:59 PM
mac_daddy try ebay/amazon for Bullet in the Head (that's where I found my copy)...

April 12th, 2004 01:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Speaking of Bob.

April 12th, 2004 01:36 PM
Joey

More Great Westerns :

1. Network

2. Amadeus

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

April 12th, 2004 03:23 PM
Bloozehound
April 12th, 2004 10:36 PM
Bloozehound
I picked up this book and couldn't put it down until I finished it, then I went and rented the tv movie. The book is excellent and the tv movie isn't bad either.

April 13th, 2004 03:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Artist : Steve Earle
Song : The Devil's Right Hand

About the time that Daddy left to fight the big war, I saw my first pistol in the general store
In the general store, when I was thirteen, Thought it was the finest thing I ever had seen
So l asked if I could have one someday when I grew up, Mama dropped a dozen eggs, she really blew up
She really blew up and I didn't understand, Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand

Chorus
Bb-F-C-F
The devil's right hand, the devil's right hand
Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand

My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt, Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow
Loads a mite slow and soon I found out, It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out
So then I went and bought myself a Colt 45, Called a peacemaker but I never knew why
Never knew why, I didn't understand, Cause Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand

Chorus 2X
Bb-F-C-F

G-D-G
Well I get into a card game in a company town, Caught a miner cheating I shot the dog down
Shot the dog down, watched the man fall, Never touched his holster, never had a chance to draw
The trial was in the morning and they drug me out of bed, Asked me how I pleaded, not guilty I said
Not guilty I said, you've got the wrong man, Nothing touched the trigger but the devil's right hand

Chorus
C-G-D
Nothing touched the trigger but the devil's right hand

April 13th, 2004 05:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
Page: 1 2 3