ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rob Day
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blues Rock From late 60's early 70's Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 7th, 2004 07:37 AM
headshrinker i have recently become obsessed with the stones and led zeppelin. i love the way they turned blue riffs and music into rock and was wondering if n e 1 could tell me n e other bands who were similar (obviously i don't expect them to b as good) as i wasn't around at the time.
April 7th, 2004 08:15 AM
bez85 1. Savoy Brown
2. Humble Pie
3. spooky Tooth
4. Rory Gallagher
5. Taste
6. The Groundhogs
7. The Pretty Things
8. Kevin Coyne
10. Deep Purple
11. Family
12. Status Quo
13. Sam Apple Pie
14. Stone The Crows
15. Joe Cocker
16. Ten Years After
April 7th, 2004 11:34 AM
jpenn11 "Similar", hmm . . .

Yardbirds for the early, middle 60s Stones

Jeff Beck Group for Zeppelin. I think they both covered the same song on their first album, either You Shook Me or I Can't Quit You Baby.

CCR also "turned blues riffs" into rock in a way that sounded somewhat authentic.
[Edited by jpenn11]
April 7th, 2004 11:38 AM
jb
April 7th, 2004 11:47 AM
Zeeta
quote:
bez85 wrote:
1. Savoy Brown
2. Humble Pie
3. spooky Tooth
4. Rory Gallagher
5. Taste
6. The Groundhogs
7. The Pretty Things
8. Kevin Coyne
10. Deep Purple
11. Family
12. Status Quo
13. Sam Apple Pie
14. Stone The Crows
15. Joe Cocker
16. Ten Years After

Status Quo!>????????????!?!?!?!? WTF!
April 7th, 2004 11:49 AM
sirmoonie Thin Lizzy was a solid 70s blooze band, if you are interested in this type of music. Check out Night Life, Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Remembering. There is also a good greatest hits package - Dedication.
April 7th, 2004 11:52 AM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Thin Lizzy was a solid 70s blooze band, if you are interested in this type of music. Check out Night Life, Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Remembering. There is also a good greatest hits package - Dedication.

Welcome back Moonie!!!

April 7th, 2004 12:01 PM
Joey " Thin Lizzy was a solid 70s blooze band, if you are interested in this type of music. Check out Night Life, Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Remembering. There is also a good greatest hits package - Dedication. "

Moonie ?!?!

MOONIE ?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?! Man , this board has really missed your Minty Freshness and you sure knew how to write a post . Welcome Home My Brother .

By the way , while you were gone , our very own MaxLugar turned into the " Face Dances " of Posters .

Developing ........................................

Shiver ..........................................

" It's Hard Ronnie ?!?! "

Jercee !
April 7th, 2004 12:52 PM
Jumping Jack Lynyrd Skynyrd.
April 7th, 2004 02:22 PM
2120SMA Johnny Winter!
April 7th, 2004 02:32 PM
jb
April 7th, 2004 02:49 PM
Joey

Corgi Hears a WHO !
April 7th, 2004 02:51 PM
jb
April 7th, 2004 02:52 PM
Joey

April 7th, 2004 02:53 PM
jb
April 7th, 2004 02:55 PM
Joey

April 7th, 2004 03:02 PM
jb
April 7th, 2004 03:03 PM
Joey

April 7th, 2004 03:57 PM
polksalad69
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Thin Lizzy was a solid 70s blooze band, if you are interested in this type of music. Check out Night Life, Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, and Remembering. There is also a good greatest hits package - Dedication.

I thought they were more of a hard rock band. Gary Moore plays blooze but he also plays metal.
April 7th, 2004 04:12 PM
Joey
April 7th, 2004 10:00 PM
Nasty Habits The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.

Specifically:

SPLIT

April 8th, 2004 09:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.
The Groundhogs.

Specifically:

SPLIT

Hey Nasty what do you think about "Blues Obituary"?
April 8th, 2004 09:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I don't know but the Question was "they turned blue riffs and music into rock" and many of you are mentioning blues bands, anyway those blues bands made great rocks too

BANDS WITH MORE BLUES LESS ROCK
Savoy Brown
J. Geils Band (the first two albums, specially the very first one, one of the best rock-blues albums)
Fleetwood Mac (The original with Peter Green)
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (listen those with Li'l Mick Taylor)
Johnny Winter
Canned Heat
Rory Gallagher / Taste
Groundhogs (I love "Blues Obituary" but it's very "special" maybe not a good recommendation to start)
Ten Years After
Keef Hartley
Ottis Spann

BANDS WITH MORE ROCK LESS BLUES
Jimi Hendrix
Humble Pie
The Jeff Beck Group
The Who
The Yardbirds
Steppenwolf
Jefferson Airplane
Mountain
Sam Apple Pie: This is the first time I heard someone mentioning them, as their life was so short and very unpopular, as the Stones they made a cover of Route 66, but a rocking version more than a bluesy as the one by the Stones)
Frank Zappa, but beware as he plays a lot of styles
April 8th, 2004 09:45 PM
polksalad69
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I don't know but the Question was "they turned blue riffs and music into rock" and many of you are mentioning blues bands, anyway those blues bands made great rocks too

BANDS WITH MORE BLUES LESS ROCK
Ottis Spann

The piano player or the band?
April 9th, 2004 02:50 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The band
April 9th, 2004 06:36 AM
bez85 My fave Groundhogs release was" Thank Christ For The Bomb"came out in 1970..The Groundhogs also had a release with John Lee Hooker in'65, They backed him on a tour of England. They opened for the Stones on their "71 tour of England. They recently released cd's of cover tunes of Wolf and Muddy..great stuff
April 9th, 2004 10:54 AM
Nasty Habits I just discovered "early" Groundhogs, Voodoo! I haven't heard Blues Obituary yet!

Before about four months ago the only albums I'd heard were Who Will Save the World and Crosscut Saw, which are albums I still don't like a whole lot. Then I discovered Thank Christ for the Bomb and especially Split and they tore my head off. Such incredibly great weird blues high energy rock madness. Reminds me of being a teenager and listening to Zep and Floyd for the first time - all that crazed ritual guitar drama and ponderous lyrical wugga wugga. I have yet to hear Blues Obituary but am gonna get one at my earliest opportunity.

Their dynamics are what I absolutely love - when they take off, they really take off! To me Split is the best place to start, with its combination of blues, high energy, almost MC5-ish pound and its fantastic engineering/recording make it a perfect combination of rock and roll noise priorities and more rockist instrumental prioriti.
April 9th, 2004 11:15 AM
T&A So far nobody has mentioned the most obvious band:

The Faces! Their long-awaited boxset (4cd chocked full of rarities and unreleased material) comes out June 8 (in US).

I personally wouldn't classify The Who as blues-rock.

And let us not forget:

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Butterfield Blues Band (East West should be in everyone's collection)
The Band
Creedence Clearwater Revival
[Edited by T&A]
April 9th, 2004 11:25 AM
jb
April 9th, 2004 11:29 AM
Joey

Page: 1 2