ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Monkees Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2006 01:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
12th April 2006 01:05 PM
Break The Spell Kinda crazy how Mike Nesmith looked a bit like a young John Entwistle there.
12th April 2006 01:21 PM
gimmekeef That brings back memories..We actually had a school debate when I was in Grade 7...Who was the better band..The Monkees or The Stones..(true!)..It was me and 3 other guys against the whole freakin school.When I brought out Time magazine articles showing Neil Diamond as the real sound of the Monkees..it was over!..We won....some kids hated us after but we just put on Aftermath and told em to f-off!!!....yup..a true story!!!..lmao..round 1967 I think
12th April 2006 01:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
...Who was the better band..The Monkees or The Stones..(true!)..

12th April 2006 01:31 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
That brings back memories..We actually had a school debate when I was in Grade 7...Who was the better band..The Monkees or The Stones..(true!)..It was me and 3 other guys against the whole freakin school.When I brought out Time magazine articles showing Neil Diamond as the real sound of the Monkees..it was over!..We won....some kids hated us after but we just put on Aftermath and told em to f-off!!!....yup..a true story!!!..lmao..round 1967 I think

Funny stuff, my mom told me of band wars like that back in the 60's, she said one debate had the Stones against Hermans Hermits!! She said one kid at the time said Hermans Hermits will still be playing when their 50 and that the Stones would break up before the 60's ended.
12th April 2006 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Monkees, god bless 'em, were basically a puppet show, a few steps more advanced than Howdy Doody. Things always advance. The pulling down of Saddam's statue a few years back was a puppet show too.
12th April 2006 02:05 PM
FPM C10 That was actually a statue of Neil Diamond!

12th April 2006 02:06 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The Monkees, god bless 'em, were basically a puppet show, a few steps more advanced than Howdy Doody. Things always advance. The pulling down of Saddam's statue a few years back was a puppet show too.

Yeah, it was a hugh act for the cameras. Iraqy's really love Saddam.
12th April 2006 02:07 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
That was actually a statue of Neil Diamond!

I've often wondered if he's any relation to Dustin Diamond, Screech from Saved by The Bell!!
12th April 2006 02:08 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I've often wondered if he's any relation to Dustin Diamond, Screech from Saved by The Bell!!

What about Lou Diamond er Phillips?
12th April 2006 02:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
Yeah, it was a hugh act for the cameras. Iraqy's really love Saddam.

Irrevelant. Whether they loved Saddam or not, it was still intentionally staged. The fact that there were more more than willing Iraqis in the show doesn't change the fact.

12th April 2006 02:17 PM
nanatod
quote:
The Monkees, god bless 'em, were basically a puppet show, a few steps more advanced than Howdy Doody.

When the Monkees played the Holiday Star in Merriville, Indiana a couple of years ago, they did a three-hour show, and did not forget to play just about any song in their catalog that anyone would remember. Maybe the Stones should take their cue from what the Monkees do live these days.
12th April 2006 02:21 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:

When the Monkees played the Holiday Star in Merriville, Indiana a couple of years ago, they did a three-hour show, and did not forget to play just about any song in their catalog that anyone would remember. Maybe the Stones should take their cue from what the Monkees do live these days.

A 3 hour Stones show would be great, but it still wouldn't cover everything I'd want to hear. If they could just get the set back up to 26-28 songs like on the SW tour, that would be a big improvement and make room for 6-7 surprises each show.
12th April 2006 02:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah, but their catalog isn't as extensive as the Stones'.
12th April 2006 02:35 PM
gimmekeef Just what I need....Monkees Warhorses!..can hear jb now....I'm so tired of Last Train To Clarksville out to the B sTAGE!!!!!
12th April 2006 02:37 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Just what I need....Monkees Warhorses!..can hear jb now....I'm so tired of Last Train To Clarksville out to the B sTAGE!!!!!

Its also damn predictable when they use "Theme From the Monkees" as an opener and encore with "I'm A Believer". I can't believe I paid $500 for that!!
12th April 2006 02:41 PM
gimmekeef Wish they'd turn down Torks piano!
12th April 2006 02:47 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Wish they'd turn down Torks piano!

Yeah, but he's responsible for making Davey and Mike change up the set lists, so he gets a pass in my book!!
12th April 2006 02:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Yeah, but he's responsible for making Davey and Mike change up the set lists, so he gets a pass in my book!!

They have enough songs to change set lists????
12th April 2006 02:59 PM
gimmekeef
quote:

They have enough songs to change set lists????

You haven't been to Starbucks to pick up "Monkees Rarities"?
12th April 2006 03:03 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I bought it, as it has a "rare" live version of "Your Auntie Grizelda" and a dance mix of "I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone". The liner notes state how there is much more in the vaults, but Davey insists they will stay there!!
12th April 2006 03:04 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Nah, I have the songs already on boots & outakes.

but I did get the Isle Brother's one--Good Stuff. Two covers, Summer Breeze (awesome) & Love the one your with (nice). Those guys are bad ass.
13th April 2006 02:23 AM
Child of the Moon All right. I've had enough. FUCK EVERYONE. I love the Monkees. I have since I was a little kid. I'm proud to own every album (except Changes, the 1970 travesty with only Micky and Davy; and Pool It!, the Nesmith-less '80's shite), and can happily say that discs like Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius... are truly great albums. Nesmith is a great songwriter, Tork is a great musician, and Jones and Dolenz are grade-A performers. Having seen them play live - yes, live - I can say that their shows match the Stones' as far as sheer entertainment value goes.

So fuck you all. I love the Monkees.
13th April 2006 02:34 AM
Prodigal Son Not a great band, but a bit overlooked. Lots of their original material was good and they had some pretty sweet hit singles. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is a great tune. But then again, I can't take any band to such high standing with emberassments like "I Want to Be Free" (not the superior Ohio Players song of the same name), "Shades of Grey," "Your Auntie Grizelda" and "Daydream Believer" (nice melody, but it's very annoying. One of their worst but always played in commercials, etc. What is with people and this drippy, nauseating oldie?). There may be others but I don't have a single Monkees CD in my collection, just particular songs is all.
13th April 2006 04:07 AM
BrianJonesGirl THE MONKEES SUCK!!!!!
13th April 2006 08:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

So fuck you all. I love the Monkees.

(What was the name of that crazy movie they made?)
13th April 2006 09:01 AM
Break The Spell Who has the best band name inspired by an animal, The Monkees, The Byrds, The Swans, Temple Of The Dog, Jesus Lizard, King Cobra, Elephant's Memory, Salty Dog, Dog's Eye View, The Great Kat, Thy Serpent or simply The Animals.
13th April 2006 09:04 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:

(What was the name of that crazy movie they made?)

Believe it or not....
it was called "Head"

You just can't make this stuff up.

SV
13th April 2006 09:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Who has the best band name inspired by an animal, The Monkees, The Byrds, The Swans, Temple Of The Dog, Jesus Lizard, King Cobra, Elephant's Memory, Salty Dog, Dog's Eye View, The Great Kat, Thy Serpent or simply The Animals.

The Stray Cats
Buffalo Springfield

13th April 2006 09:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Oh...The "Beatles" of course.
and Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

The Partridge Family
The Cow Sills
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)