ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones & The Moaners Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2006 11:53 AM
DavidChina
It saddens me to see comments no better and no different than those of the British media; do you copy them? It would be nice to see and read something original ¨C yawn! Now where was I¡­?
In their early years, the Stones 'worked their socks off¡¯; they are now in their 60"s so why should they be expected to perform at such a high level all the time. A few songs shy of the usual, well may be they just got tired of the whole thing. It took more effort to set up this one small concert than almost the entire North American tour. You don¡¯t make it easy for people visiting and working here. Change this change that, God! On and on and on it goes, where it stops nobody knows. The organizers could still have asked for the regular set but they didn¡¯t seem bothered either ¨C they got their money.
To 'slag' the Stones off for doing little more than most Chinese try and do, that is 'rip foreigners off' is the pot calling the kettle black, in fact perhaps the Stones are more honest about it ¨C you can see their price In addition, they are a big business (a registered company) - I don't see any big businesses here changing their price structure and profit margin just because 70% of the population is poor.
The lack of understanding of the youth of China stems from the Chinese culture 'strangling' its kids for so many years - I guess the Stones are at least 20 years too late here. To just discuss age and cost and...blah blah blah is to completely miss the point - a point you don't understand or feel. The whole state of music in China is immature and limited, how can the kids here be expected to have any idea of the Stones and their contribution to the history of popular music when one writer here describes Backstreet Boys music as ¡®rock music¡¯ ¨C Jesus! The sweet sugar that drowns China at the moment has nothing to do with the spirit of music, its center. It seems to me that rock music in China has gone backwards this last few years. I hear boys telling me how they love Westlife (What!!) and the love songs swamping the popular music here ¨C aaaagh!!!!

Personally I wish the Stones had made some kind of concession toward ticket prices - but may be the local government could have subsidised the event or sponsored it in such a way as to allow more Chinese to see it - they were always aware of the cost to buy a ticket. Knowing the culture a little, I wonder how many 'under the table' payments (gifts) were made in order to get this event set up. And there would have been some. There is no doubt that a profit was made by the Chinese involved in setting this up - I never heard any of them say they should concede their earnings/profit for their people.
I have been a fan of these guys for almost 40 years, I have seen them all over the world and no, I didn't go on Saturday though I am only a half day journey from Shanghai - I didn't go because I had promised something to a few of my Chinese students - if I had the time and the money I would have taken a busload of them to the event - something that perhaps some of you should have considered doing if you were so concerned about the price of tickets for your poorer people.
One last comment, you are not the only country in the world that suffers from poverty; recent concerts took place in some of the poorest countries of South America and you don¡¯t hear so much moaning from then as here. And do you think everyone of the million or so people who have so far seen them on this tour, are rich or 'well-heeled'? Far from it. Many of us save for it or put our self into debt in order to go. We know their music, their age, their limitations and their faults; we know the price of tickets but we go ¨C from the age of 14-70, you will find them all at a Stones concert. We understand them regardless, we have the feelings needed to appreciate something about them that goes far beyond music ¨C and I don¡¯t mean we just write and say that, we really feel it.
Always moaning. Always so sorry for yourselves.
Accept life as it is ¨C then change it. Don¡¯t keep looking to others to do it for you. Don¡¯t keep blaming everyone else for the problems you see ¨C you will not change them like that, you just end up sounding like a windbag who one day will be muttering sitting on his doorstep, blaming all and sundry for his state of life. You do something about it, you find the answers and then change whatever it is that irks you. The great men and women of China were not the ones that sat their blaming everyone else for their poor fortune and the attitudes of those around them, be they foreign or Chinese.
Anyway, and I say this for myself also, it¡¯s only a bloody concert, take it or leave it, pay it or don¡¯t.
12th April 2006 12:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
DavidChina wrote:
In their early years, the Stones 'worked their socks off¡¯; they are now in their 60"s so why should they be expected to perform at such a high level all the time.

Not sure what you're replying to David, but here goes

Yes, they should be expected to do so, because entertainment is a two-way deal. If you charge people a huge amount of money to see you, its reasonable for them to expect that you at least "perform to a high level" or at least as best as you can

If you cant play better than a bar band (and no one is suggesting thats the case) then charge a similar amount. If you charge a lot of money, then you raise people's expectations and demands accordingly.

If I pay my hard earned cash to see any form of entertainment - be it a concert or a football match - I would expect the people I'm paying a high amount to see make the bloody effort.

If you pay a lot of money for a meal in an expensive restaurant, would you accept it if the meal isnt cooked properly because the normally excellent Michelin star chef cant be bothered to do his job properly on the night you happen to be there?

Dont think so.

Welcome to "Rocks Off", incidentally and thanks for posting.

[Edited by Gazza]
12th April 2006 12:06 PM
jb I was told by Pug ( mpretty good guitar player), that Ronnie's problem is that he is trying to sound like the albums and can't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by jb]
12th April 2006 01:09 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
I was told by Pug ( mpretty good guitar player), that Ronnie's problem is that he is trying to sound like the albums and can't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by jb]

after the recent Vegas show I was told by one of the best guitar players around that Ronnie is a washed up old drunk and is clearly unable to play guitar anymore: No memory. No skill. No effort.
12th April 2006 02:34 PM
andrews27 Maybe Ronnie needs to see comments like this, but maybe comments like this are part wishful thinking, too. Ron Wood has contributed some of the most memorable and copied licks in history to the Faces and Stones, and to the lives of rock fans everywhere. That doesn't buy him exemption, but it should buy him some respect. He's had to occupy difficult roles in two changing band structures (three if you count Jeff Beck Group). It's a hard road, and one has to live up to the money. "Washed up old drunk" might be a bit uncharitable to the stress of his almost karmically-repeated position in Superbands.

I wonder if one of Ronnie's playing issues isn't *a problem playing with in-ear monitors and click tracks.* Many of his misguided solos seem to start a beat too late, then screw up further in trying to fall back in with the band. Age can take away the edge one needs to compensate for technical changes - somewhat like old silent film stars who couldn't make it in talking films, or grandpas who can't/won't master personal computers.
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
12th April 2006 02:57 PM
jb I don't think he is washed up at all...something just isn't right...I think he is technically are very gifted player, but he is not playing like he can...
[Edited by jb]
12th April 2006 03:03 PM
gimmekeef I certainly agree the last while he has been but a shell of a player..But on most nights lately he seems to be gettin it back some..never truly great but very enjoyable licks...Been more worried bout Keith's mishaps...but love em both just the same!
12th April 2006 03:06 PM
Break The Spell Keith and Ronnie's mistakes along with Keith's fashion sense are part of their charm in my opinion. When their great, it is a good feeling, but the mistakes have a charm to it as well.
12th April 2006 03:13 PM
jb
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Keith and Ronnie's mistakes along with Keith's fashion sense are part of their charm in my opinion. When their great, it is a good feeling, but the mistakes have a charm to it as well.

The mistakes have alwasy been there..even in the Taylor erros..but they were so fucking good no one cared..today they stand out like a eunuch in a whorehouse.
12th April 2006 03:27 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

The mistakes have alwasy been there..even in the Taylor erros..but they were so fucking good no one cared..today they stand out like a eunuch in a whorehouse.

thats more than just a gem of a post. Thats a fucking diamond!!!
12th April 2006 03:44 PM
justforyou I think Ronnie played very well at the Rio concert, nice solo's on some of the warhorses and if that's anything to go by, he's playing fine this tour (many reviewers stating the same). Btw. you're really into praising jb! Both ways...
12th April 2006 03:48 PM
jb
quote:
justforyou wrote:
I think Ronnie played very well at the Rio concert, nice solo's on some of the warhorses and if that's anything to go by, he's playing fine this tour (many reviewers stating the same). Btw. you're really into praising jb! Both ways...

http://www.sawstonfunrun.entadsl.com/media/fancydress2003.jpg
12th April 2006 03:54 PM
pdog Does anyone actually have anything interesting to say today. Calif is being hammered by rain, our lives are in shambles, people are depressed. We need help, please someone... If it wasn't for Calif. every American on this board would be struggling to survive. Where's the fucking thanks!!!
12th April 2006 03:57 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
Does anyone actually have anything interesting to say today. Calif is being hammered by rain, our lives are in shambles, people are depressed. We need help, please someone... If it wasn't for Calif. every American on this board would be struggling to survive. Where's the fucking thanks!!!

California's been good to me, hope it don't fall into the sea...
12th April 2006 04:01 PM
pdog We don't need to fall into the sea, we are a sea. It's rained so much, agriculture is going to be ruined. We supply 60% of this nations food. You know why I'm pissed? B/c all the money we make goes to subsidize the rest of the country, and we get shit back, Bridges, roads energy infrastructures collapsing. Not to mention we could be a disaster bigger than NOLA with our levees on the brink of collapse.
[Edited by pdog]
12th April 2006 04:04 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
We don't need to fall into the sea, we are a sea. It's rained so much, agriculture is going to be ruined. We supply 60% of this nations food. You know why I'm pissed? B/c all the money we make goes to subsidize the rest of the country, and we get shit back, Bridges, roads energy infrastructures collapsing. Not to mention we could be a disaster bigger than NOLA with our levees on the brink of collapse.
[Edited by pdog]

I'd love to visit CA again sometime. I've only been in Death Valley, I journeyed out there as part of a Vegas trip.
12th April 2006 04:06 PM
pdog
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I'd love to visit CA again sometime. I've only been in Death Valley, I journeyed out there as part of a Vegas trip.

Calif. is one the most beautiful places in the world. So much natural beauty, and lots of great drugs. No wonder the 70's were full of sappy ballad writing singers...
12th April 2006 04:09 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:

Calif. is one the most beautiful places in the world. So much natural beauty, and lots of great drugs. No wonder the 70's were full of sappy ballad writing singers...

I'm sure there are lots of great things to see there, its such a big state I wouldn't know where to start. I liked it in Death Valley, camped there for a night.
12th April 2006 04:18 PM
Nellcote Saint Sway wrote:

"after the recent Vegas show I was told by one of the best guitar players around that Ronnie is a washed up old drunk and is clearly unable to play guitar anymore: No memory. No skill. No effort."

Could you identify the "best guitar player" to lend credibility to your claim? Otherwise, "what does it matter" to quote a famous songwriter?

[Edited by Nellcote]
12th April 2006 05:07 PM
andrews27 Famous songwriter? Wrote "Never been to Spain" by Three Dog Night?

quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Saint Sway wrote:

"after the recent Vegas show I was told by one of the best guitar players around that Ronnie is a washed up old drunk and is clearly unable to play guitar anymore: No memory. No skill. No effort."

Could you identify the "best guitar player" to lend credibility to your claim? Otherwise, "what does it matter" to quote a famous somgwriter?

12th April 2006 05:38 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I would have thought that the last thing a eunuch is going to be able to do in a whorehouse is 'stand out'.....
12th April 2006 06:32 PM
polksalad69 I miss trailer bride.

http://www.themoaners.com/
12th April 2006 09:34 PM
voodoopug only an 8k arena in china and not a sellout....completely humiliating! These are the Rolling Stones, the greatest live act in the history of music. Sadly, most of the audience was of western decent. China did not deserve a show!!!
13th April 2006 12:45 AM
corgi37 You got that right. And NZ doesnt deserve 2 stadium shows.
13th April 2006 01:21 AM
pdog We'll all look back on this tour and laugh.
Tee Hee!
13th April 2006 08:42 AM
Jumping Jack People who live on earthquake faults or on hurricane coasts are as negligent as those who lived below sea level in New Orleans. Get out with your life and worldly possessions while you can. It isn't if, but when disaster will strike and the choice to stay is yours. Don't expect taxpayers in Nebraska to pay to rebuild your home if if you are negligent and choose to stay.

Discuss ...
13th April 2006 08:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
People who live on earthquake faults or on hurricane coasts are as negligent as those who lived below sea level in New Orleans. Get out with your life and worldly possessions while you can. It isn't if, but when disaster will strike and the choice to stay is yours. Don't expect taxpayers in Nebraska to pay to rebuild your home if if you are negligent and choose to stay.

Discuss ...

If the thunder don't get you the lightening will.
13th April 2006 08:55 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Donn't expect taxpayers in Nebraska to pay to rebuild your home if if you are negligent and choose to stay.

Discuss ...

I'm positive Joey would be more than willing to help with his deep love for his fellow man.
13th April 2006 08:59 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
People who live on earthquake faults or on hurricane coasts are as negligent as those who lived below sea level in New Orleans. Get out with your life and worldly possessions while you can. It isn't if, but when disaster will strike and the choice to stay is yours. Don't expect taxpayers in Nebraska to pay to rebuild your home if if you are negligent and choose to stay.

Discuss ...

Living with the possiblility of a devastating earthquake
hitting without warning is why I give Californians a pass
on all that goofy crap they do (crystals, Scientology,
wearing no socks, eschewing books, getting their
news from Jay Leno, etc.)

Sorry, Pdog...I should clarify: Southern Californians.

SV

13th April 2006 10:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
only an 8k arena in china and not a sellout....completely humiliating! These are the Rolling Stones, the greatest live act in the history of music. Sadly, most of the audience was of western decent. China did not deserve a show!!!

Gee I wonder why it didnt sell out...and it was on TV for free as well!

I'd love to have seen your reaction had you had to pay 3 months salary for a decent ticket to see a band that you know nothing about and whose records its almost impossible to find. Even more so, had you lived in a part of the world were the opportunity to accrue a vast personal wealth is somewhat limited.

[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)