ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Press conference at Stadthalle in Bremen, Germany, March 1967
© Gunter Zint with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Which Dylan Hits Collection Is Best (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th March 2007 11:11 PM
Egbert Would like to get opinions from the many Dylan fans here of which of these 2 Dylan hits collections would be a better buy: Greatest Hits (I & II) or The Essential. Looking to fill some gaps in my collection, particularly Positively 4th Street. The Dylan CDs I do have are: BIABH, H61R, BOB, BOTT, TOOM.

TIA
26th March 2007 11:24 PM
Paranoid_Android ALL the BAsement Tapes...the first 3 are a box set...the 66 & 64 are INCREDIBLE...if you want studio w/ outakes etc...BIOGRAPH...

I dont really care for "best of's" or "greatest hits" from anyone myself...I like to think of LP/CDs as paintings of an artist particular era...a best of is liking only the colors blue & yellow...and not having the shades of other colors to look at...IMHO, of course
27th March 2007 05:39 AM
ziggypayne The import version of Essential Bob Dylan gets my vote. You get a bunch of non-album tracks that way: Positively 4th Street, Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window, Quinn The Eskimo, I Shall Be Released, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Blind Willie McTell, Dignity, and Things Have Changed.

If anything, I'd get that and GH 2. GH 1 is a waste of money, other than Positively 4th Street.
27th March 2007 05:49 AM
Gazza You cant do a Dylan 'best of' justice over one album so buy "Biograph" instead. (3 Cds)

A great cross section of 35 released songs from 1962 to 1985, with a mixture of the best known stuff and great album tracks AND 18 previously unreleased tracks, many of them absolutely outstanding.

The booklet and liner notes are fabulous too.
27th March 2007 09:20 AM
kovach I agree, Biograph is fantastic.
27th March 2007 09:58 AM
nanatod
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Would like to get opinions from the many Dylan fans here of which of these 2 Dylan hits collections would be a better buy: Greatest Hits (I & II) or The Essential. Looking to fill some gaps in my collection, particularly Positively 4th Street. The Dylan CDs I do have are: BIABH, H61R, BOB, BOTT, TOOM.
TIA

Forget about the greatest hits collections. Buy Planet Waves, Nashville Skyline, and John Wesley Harding. That way you get "You Angel You," "Tough Mama," two versions of "Forever Young," "Country Pie," the Cash duet, "Watchtower," and "Dear Landlord.!!!!!!

Oh, and don't forget about Freewheelin' -- for "Oxford Town," "Masters of War," and "I Shall Be Free," among others.
27th March 2007 11:15 AM
MrPleasant Greatest Hits Vol. II: "Watching The River Flow", "I Shall Be Released", "When I Paint My Masterpiece", etc., unavailable -methinks- elsewhere. And the whole bunch of tracks are lovely sequenced.
27th March 2007 01:29 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You cant do a Dylan 'best of' justice over one album so buy "Biograph" instead. (3 Cds)

A great cross section of 35 released songs from 1962 to 1985, with a mixture of the best known stuff and great album tracks AND 18 previously unreleased tracks, many of them absolutely outstanding.

The booklet and liner notes are fabulous too.

Fabulous?! Holy crap! Thanks G! I have NOT gotten Biograph yet. On my must have list tho'.
27th March 2007 02:20 PM
glencar I wasn't a fan AT ALL when Biograph came out. I might have to look into it too.
27th March 2007 02:40 PM
Starbuck anyone who doesn't have all of dylan's albums from the debut album through at least desire is, in my opinion, a retard and a communist.
27th March 2007 02:41 PM
glencar Luckily I'm a conservative & a patriot!
27th March 2007 02:47 PM
mojoman has somebody sent JB a copy yet?
27th March 2007 02:48 PM
glencar He hates Dylan. Full-on hate!
27th March 2007 02:53 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
He hates Dylan. Full-on hate!

the greatest jewish rock star?

why?

why?

why?

why?

why?
27th March 2007 02:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:

Fabulous?! Holy crap! Thanks G! I have NOT gotten Biograph yet. On my must have list tho'.

The odd thing was that it was meant to come out 2 years earlier back in late 1983

I remember getting a tape of the "unreleased" songs at that time.
27th March 2007 02:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
anyone who doesn't have all of dylan's albums from the debut album through at least desire is, in my opinion, a retard and a communist.

Thats me 'saved' then....
27th March 2007 02:58 PM
glencar I have Shot of Love!
27th March 2007 03:00 PM
mojoman i have the byrds play dylan
27th March 2007 03:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have Shot of Love!

Much underrated album IMO, even if he left some of the best songs off it, the contrary old goat....
27th March 2007 03:13 PM
glencar His sanity has returned! I like TOOM the most though.
27th March 2007 06:02 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The odd thing was that it was meant to come out 2 years earlier back in late 1983

I remember getting a tape of the "unreleased" songs at that time.

It's available in my music club.....I'll shall possess it soon. ;-)

Again thanks for pointing me in the direction...home.

BTW, Bob's tour started today I am eagerly waiting for the set to post.
27th March 2007 06:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:

It's available in my music club.....I'll shall possess it soon. ;-)

Again thanks for pointing me in the direction...home.

BTW, Bob's tour started today I am eagerly waiting for the set to post.

there ya go :

1. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) (Bob on guitar)
2. Not Dark Yet (Bob on guitar)
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on electric keyboard for the rest of the show)
4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
5. Tears Of Rage
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Lay, Lady, Lay
8. Rollin' And Tumblin'
9. To Ramona
10. Country Pie
11. Tangled Up In Blue
12. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
13. Summer Days

(encore)
14. Like A Rolling Stone

15. Thunder On The Mountain

16. All Along The Watchtower

This was a club show. Erikjjf got a ticket. No doubt he'll let us know how it was.

Bob back playing some guitar on stage for the first time in a few years
[Edited by Gazza]
27th March 2007 06:05 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have Shot of Love!

I have the Greatest Hits Record. Not sure if I have listened to it in the last 20 years though.
27th March 2007 06:05 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Much underrated album IMO, even if he left some of the best songs off it, the contrary old goat....

LOL! He is that alright. Contrary Imp. Shot of Love is one I don't have either, but want to pick up. It isn't offered in my club. Since we moved here Chris learned that he was working with a guy who worked on Shot Of Love...but he left the job right after Chris learned this and unfortunately before I got to meet him and ask him what it was like being around Bob in the studio.
27th March 2007 06:08 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

there ya go :

1. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) (Bob on guitar)
2. Not Dark Yet (Bob on guitar)
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on electric keyboard for the rest of the show)
4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
5. Tears Of Rage
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Lay, Lady, Lay
8. Rollin' And Tumblin'
9. To Ramona
10. Country Pie
11. Tangled Up In Blue
12. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
13. Summer Days

(encore)
14. Like A Rolling Stone

15. Thunder On The Mountain

16. All Along The Watchtower

This was a club show. Erikjjf got a ticket. No doubt he'll let us know how it was.

Bob back playing some guitar on stage for the first time in a few years
[Edited by Gazza]

THANKS! Bob on guitar ehhh? Well he always does more intriguing things whilst overseas. I have to eat crow.

;-)
27th March 2007 06:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot I bought Biograph for the unreleased stuff. The only reason to buy any "Best of" is to get the previously unissued stuff.

I'm of the opinion that you should buy the fuckin' albums. Shit, you can get most of them in the Amazon Marketplace for around $5.00 or so. For what you'd lay out for Biograph, you can buy SEVEN albums! Do that! More bang for yer buck.
27th March 2007 06:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:

THANKS! Bob on guitar ehhh? Well he always does more intriguing things whilst overseas. I have to eat crow.

;-)

I'm hoping for a lot more than 2 MT songs when I see him in under 3 weeks!
27th March 2007 07:21 PM
Erik_Snow
Gazza and Martha,
Bob played guitar for the first 7 songs of the show
The info posted by Bill Pagel was incorrect.

[Edited by Erik_Snow]
28th March 2007 12:38 AM
Egbert Thank you all for throwing your 2 cents in - no clear majority so I'll pick up The Essential and go from there.
28th March 2007 07:27 AM
glencar I have a couple of other "essentials" & it's not a bad way to start...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)