ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" New York premiere.
Ziegfeld Theater - NYC March 30, 2008
© purepeople.com with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Only Stones I've Known! Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th March 2008 11:59 AM
Collinstephens So many people criticize Mick's voice and the performance of Keith and Ronnie in their latest works and tour; but the fact is, is that many of us Stone's fanatics are young, around 20, and this work is the only we've ever known. I have all their albums, and went to a handful of A Bigger Bang shows and I thought they were great. Yes, I've listened to previous works, and I like how they sound now. This could be because I've seen them perform only now, but in conclusion, I think people are too hard on them for all they have given us.
26th March 2008 12:06 PM
Nellcote Good to see you along for the ride, bro.
They do have staying power....
26th March 2008 12:14 PM
PartyDoll MEG Die hard fans(especially ones who frequent message boards) are the toughest critics, Collinstephens!!

Lots of bitchin' goes on...
But when they tour..most of us are right there, spending god awful tons of money to see several shows...

So let it go in one ear and out the other..

The Stones need some youthful fans, so stick around!

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
26th March 2008 12:24 PM
Fiji Joe If it helps, I survived Dirty Work...

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
26th March 2008 12:29 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Good to see you along for the ride, bro.
They do have staying power....

So does the military industrial complex

[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
26th March 2008 12:34 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:
So many people criticize Mick's voice and the performance of Keith and Ronnie in their latest works and tour; but the fact is, is that many of us Stone's fanatics are young, around 20, and this work is the only we've ever known. I have all their albums, and went to a handful of A Bigger Bang shows and I thought they were great. Yes, I've listened to previous works, and I like how they sound now. This could be because I've seen them perform only now, but in conclusion, I think people are too hard on them for all they have given us.

what is your favorite album and song?
26th March 2008 12:38 PM
LadyJane
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Die hard fans(especially ones who frequent message boards) are the toughest critics, Collinstephens!!

Lots of bitchin' goes on...
But when they tour..most of us are right there, spending god awful tons of money to see several shows...

So let it go in one ear and out the other..

The Stones need some youthful fans, so stick around!

I couldn't agree more!!

We need you to carry the torch (and push our wheelchairs)

LJ.
26th March 2008 01:06 PM
parachuteman This is an interesting topic
I agree that usually the die hard fans are the ones who critisize (especially about the lack of rare songs played live!) however i find that a lot of young people are critical simply because they don't know enough about the stones. Im only 19 so i have taken a lot of shit from people just for liking (loving) the stones. I dont think its fair to judge based on things you dont know, and thats what everyone does. I guess sometimes ignorance isnt bliss.
26th March 2008 01:15 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue is an album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1980. As the follow-up to 1978's acclaimed best-seller Some Girls, it was a commercial success but is generally seen by some as an inferior product and a deliberate attempt to replicate its more famous predecessor.

Recorded throughout 1979, first in Nassau, Bahamas, then Paris, with some end-of-year overdubbing in New York City, Emotional Rescue was the first Rolling Stones album recorded following Keith Richards' exoneration from a Toronto drugs charge that could have landed him in jail for years. Fresh from the revitalization of Some Girls, Richards and Mick Jagger led The Rolling Stones through dozens of new songs - some of which were held over for Tattoo You - picking only ten for Emotional Rescue.

While several of the tracks featured just the core band of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and Bill Wyman, keyboardists Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart, sax player Bobby Keys and harmonica player Sugar Blue joined The Rolling Stones on Emotional Rescue.

The album cover, designed by Peter Corriston, features a sombre selection of band photos which had been taken by a thermo camera, a device which measures heat emissions. The original release came wrapped in a huge colour poster featuring more thermo-shots of the band, the whole being wrapped in a plastic bag. The music video shot for "Emotional Rescue" also utilized thermo-shots of the band performing.

Unleashed on June 20th 1980 with the disco-infused smoking hit title track as the lead single, Emotional Rescue was an immediate smash! The title track along with the tracks "Dance" and "She's So Cold", hit #9 on Billboard's Disco Top 100 chart. The album gave The Rolling Stones their first UK #1 album since 1973's Goats Head Soup and spent seven weeks atop the US charts. While sales were strong, the critics were tepid on the album, finding it weak over all (at least compared with Some Girls) and noting the odd sequencing that appeared to place its strongest songs at the end of the running order. The follow-up single "She's So Cold" was also a Top 30 hit, while Richards' "All About You" would be the first of several album closers featuring his increasingly gravel-sounding voice on lead vocal. Subsequent critical evaluation of the record has been somewhat kinder, placing it in the context of the Stones' eclectic, so-called "silver age," running roughly from 1976's Black and Blue to 1981's Tattoo You, though its reputation has never qualified the album as a definitive Stones record, critics now acknowledge that ER does more before 9am than most albums do all day long.

[Edited by Some Guy]
26th March 2008 02:36 PM
PartyDoll MEG some guy is recruiting again!
26th March 2008 02:48 PM
glencar As long as he doesn't try to push that VH crap again...
26th March 2008 02:57 PM
Throwaway
26th March 2008 03:09 PM
Some Guy
quote:
glencar wrote:
As long as he doesn't try to push that VH crap again...

I don't feel tardy.
26th March 2008 03:18 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:

Oh I'll come to his emotional rescue..
Glenny..

Let him be as long as he isn't secretly playing Celine

26th March 2008 03:26 PM
glencar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

I don't feel tardy.

Dude's old...
26th March 2008 03:26 PM
glencar
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
[quote]glencar wrote:
[/quote
Oh I'll come to his emotional rescue..
Glenny..

Let him be as long as he isn't secretly playing Celine

She has embarrassed all the French Canadians forever!
26th March 2008 03:40 PM
Some Guy I particularly like the way Mick takes a long toke like sound toward the end of the song.
26th March 2008 05:28 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Emotional Rescue is an album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1980. As the follow-up to 1978's acclaimed best-seller Some Girls, it was a commercial success but is generally seen by some as an inferior product and a deliberate attempt to replicate its more famous predecessor.

Recorded throughout 1979, first in Nassau, Bahamas, then Paris, with some end-of-year overdubbing in New York City, Emotional Rescue was the first Rolling Stones album recorded following Keith Richards' exoneration from a Toronto drugs charge that could have landed him in jail for years. Fresh from the revitalization of Some Girls, Richards and Mick Jagger led The Rolling Stones through dozens of new songs - some of which were held over for Tattoo You - picking only ten for Emotional Rescue.

While several of the tracks featured just the core band of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and Bill Wyman, keyboardists Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart, sax player Bobby Keys and harmonica player Sugar Blue joined The Rolling Stones on Emotional Rescue.

The album cover, designed by Peter Corriston, features a sombre selection of band photos which had been taken by a thermo camera, a device which measures heat emissions. The original release came wrapped in a huge colour poster featuring more thermo-shots of the band, the whole being wrapped in a plastic bag. The music video shot for "Emotional Rescue" also utilized thermo-shots of the band performing.

Unleashed on June 20th 1980 with the disco-infused smoking hit title track as the lead single, Emotional Rescue was an immediate smash! The title track along with the tracks "Dance" and "She's So Cold", hit #9 on Billboard's Disco Top 100 chart. The album gave The Rolling Stones their first UK #1 album since 1973's Goats Head Soup and spent seven weeks atop the US charts. While sales were strong, the critics were tepid on the album, finding it weak over all (at least compared with Some Girls) and noting the odd sequencing that appeared to place its strongest songs at the end of the running order. The follow-up single "She's So Cold" was also a Top 30 hit, while Richards' "All About You" would be the first of several album closers featuring his increasingly gravel-sounding voice on lead vocal. Subsequent critical evaluation of the record has been somewhat kinder, placing it in the context of the Stones' eclectic, so-called "silver age," running roughly from 1976's Black and Blue to 1981's Tattoo You, though its reputation has never qualified the album as a definitive Stones record, critics now acknowledge that ER does more before 9am than most albums do all day long.

[Edited by Some Guy]

Post of the...century Bro!

26th March 2008 05:31 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Post of the...century Bro!

my nizzle.... The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society smiles upon you! but you already know that because you are the m*therfucking President!!
26th March 2008 05:34 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

We need you to carry the torch (and push our wheelchairs)

LJ.

Indeed. My spokes are squeaky.
26th March 2008 05:52 PM
Collinstephens
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

what is your favorite album and song?

I can't possibly pick a favorite song or album. I do enjoy listening to Indian Girl from Emotional Rescue though. I enjoy so many different songs.
[Edited by Collinstephens]
26th March 2008 06:11 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Collinstephens wrote:

I can't possibly pick a favorite song or album. I do enjoy listening to Indian Girl from Emotional Rescue though. I enjoy so many different songs.
[Edited by Collinstephens]

keep an eye on the mailbox for your official acceptance letter to the He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society.
26th March 2008 06:33 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

keep an eye on the mailbox for your official acceptance letter to the He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society.

Some Guy ...............................

Um , .... do you have any material I can ' borrow ' ?! ...... preferably GOLD !

Nizzle ! ™
26th March 2008 08:31 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
She has embarrassed all the French Canadians forever!

Indeed, she has obliterated all the good will which Maggie Trudeau had earned for her people.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
26th March 2008 08:51 PM
Mr.D
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
If it helps, I survived Dirty Work...

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

I love dirty work! (and emotional rescure) i think its a great album, tho its from my favourite stones period about 1979 - 1984, i think its a great album

27th March 2008 06:32 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

my nizzle.... The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society smiles upon you! but you already know that because you are the m*therfucking President!!

LOL
Anyway where is Sway, the chairman??
27th March 2008 07:22 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

LOL
Anyway where is Sway, the chairman??

Sadly Sway has not quite been able to cope with the latest Crowes effort combined with the success of the Van Halen tour. Table for one at the Loving Cup bar and grill.
27th March 2008 08:28 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Some Guy ...............................

Um , .... do you have any material I can ' borrow ' ?! ...... preferably GOLD !

Nizzle ! ™

“He who knows how will always work for he who knows why.”
[Edited by Some Guy]
27th March 2008 10:41 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
If it helps, I survived Dirty Work...

Hell, I started with Dirty Work!

Dirty Work made me the man I am today!

27th March 2008 10:45 AM
Nellcote How crazy is this, I played Dirty Work on the way home yesterday...

"find some loser, find some jerk, find some dumb ass...ah....It's beggining to make me angry"

Give me those slash & burn gitars....
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)