ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Fin Costello with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith has been out-iconed Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd March 2007 08:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Thursday, March 22, 2007
AC/DC's Angus Young voted #1 rock icon

AC/DC lead guitarist Angus Young has been voted the top icon in rock history. According to a list in the U.K. rock magazine Kerrang!, Young holds the Number One ranking, ahead of Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters, Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day, Iron Maiden mascot "Eddie," and the late Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. The rankings feature some of Young's peers, like Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, Aerosmith's Joe Perry, and Queen's Brian May, while also saluting modern rockers like singer Amy Lee from Evanescence, bassist Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, guitarist Benji Madden from Good Charlotte, and singer Chester Bennington from Linkin Park.

Besides Angus, AC/DC was also represented on the "100 Icons" list by the late Bon Scott at Number 62, Brian Johnson at Number 81, and Malcolm Young at Number 90.

According to the Kerrang! entry on Wikipedia, AC/DC was on the magazine's first cover back in June 1981.

Other groups with multiple placements include:

Pantera, with the late Dimebag Darrell at Number Eight and Phil Anselmo at Number 54;

Metallica, with James Hetfield at Number Six, Kirk Hammett at Number 40, Lars Ulrich at Number 41, and the late Cliff Burton at Number 45;

Judas Priest, with Rob Halford at Number 10 and K.K. Downing & Glenn Tipton at Numbers 71 and 72;

Led Zeppelin, with Jimmy Page at Number 11, Robert Plant at Number 43, and the late John Bonham at Number 55;

Guns N' Roses, with Slash at Number 13 and Axl Rose at Number 20;

Blink-182, with Tom Delonge at Number 28 and Mark Hoppus at Number 29;

Black Sabbath, with Tony Iommi at Number 30 and Ozzy Osbourne at Number 31;

System Of A Down, with Serj Tankian at Number 35 and Daron Malakian at Number 36;

and Aerosmith, with Joe Perry at Number 52 and Steven Tyler at Number 53.
The Rock Radio online

22nd March 2007 08:53 PM
GotToRollMe oy vey.
22nd March 2007 08:53 PM
Throwaway LOL the inclusion of members of Good Charlotte and Fallout Boy along with no signs of any Stones make this list shite. Probably decided by the same people who vote for MTV's Total Request Live.
[Edited by Throwaway]
22nd March 2007 08:58 PM
texile
what is this..
circus magazine?
22nd March 2007 08:58 PM
texile
what is this..
circus magazine?
22nd March 2007 08:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
LOL the inclusion of members of Good Charlotte and Fallout Boy along with no signs of any Stones make this list shite.

No Elvis, No Stones, etc.
I'm wondering if these folks even know what the word ICON means. I don't begrudge Angus, but this is like a decent from the Tower of Babel....words don't mean anything anymore.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
22nd March 2007 09:07 PM
fireontheplatter double oy vey
22nd March 2007 10:17 PM
Coming Down Again ummmm...Who exactly cares?
22nd March 2007 10:28 PM
Trey Krimsin The bands mentioned in the article are mostly hard rock/heavy metal bands. This isn't a general rock and roll list.
22nd March 2007 10:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
The bands mentioned in the article are mostly hard rock/heavy metal bands. This isn't a general rock and roll list.

No, it's not. But they still should still know what the words "rock n roll icon" mean.
22nd March 2007 10:45 PM
Throwaway I mean, Green Day? The list is a cross between stuff a bad new pop music station plays and your typical "classic rock" cover band's song list. Shit, lots of those guys on the list ripped off SOMETHING from Keith or Mick!
22nd March 2007 10:50 PM
Riffhard It's Kerang magazine for fuck's sake! A magazine read by a bunch pimpley faced kids that think shit bands like Slayer are the end all and be all of rock and roll. Stupid assed list voted on by a bunch of stupid assed punks.

Riffy
23rd March 2007 12:59 AM
LadyJane see this:

No contest.

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
23rd March 2007 04:57 AM
Jumacfly That sucks!!!
Good Charlotte?? WTF?????
23rd March 2007 05:56 AM
corgi37 Never trust the taste of 14 year old white boys.
23rd March 2007 09:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
It's Kerang magazine for fuck's sake!

thats verbatim what I was going to post!

most of them couldnt even SPELL Elvis for fucks sake, let alone engage in a serious debate about what an icon is.
23rd March 2007 09:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Never trust the taste of 14 year old white boys.

theres bound to be a joke in there somewhere about Bill Wyman and the "taste of 14 year old white girls" but I'll pass on that for now....
23rd March 2007 09:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

Well, I don't know about that. I hate to disparage 14 year olds. Looking back on it when I was 14 I had impeccable artistic tastes.
23rd March 2007 10:13 AM
egon milk
bread
beer
copy of dirty work
23rd March 2007 10:15 AM
Saint Sway Horrible!

Did "Dan" make this list???
23rd March 2007 10:18 AM
glencar TT Motels loves posting these inane/insane votes. It means less than nothing.
23rd March 2007 10:21 AM
Saint Sway the lists help to confirm how stupid the rest of society is outside of Rocks Off

reading them helps to remind me of what a genius I am
23rd March 2007 10:26 AM
stonesfan70 Just look where it got Michael Jackson.

quote:
corgi37 wrote:

23rd March 2007 10:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
TT Motels loves posting these inane/insane votes. It means less than nothing.

Here's my list. I hope it's meaningful. And I hope I'm true to the meaning of the phrase "Rock n Roll Icon."

1. Elvis
2. Keith Richards
3. Mick Jagger
4. Jerry Garcia
5. Chuck Berry
6. Angus Young
7. Bob Dylan
8. John Lennon
9. Ozzy Osbourne
10. Jim Morrison
23rd March 2007 10:59 AM
glencar #9 invalidates your list.
23rd March 2007 11:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
#9 invalidates your list.

He shouldn't have done that TV show.
24th March 2007 04:19 PM
keefjunkie the singer of pantera placed higher than john bonham.

why does anyone even read this.
25th March 2007 01:46 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
see this:

No contest.

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]

This one and the one up top are some very nice pics.

-Masteroftheobvious
25th March 2007 02:26 AM
Spru Bullshit to this whole thing. Bullshit I say. Keith forever. Bullshit!
25th March 2007 08:14 AM
_Boomy_ The only three that really matter:

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)