ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25, 2006
© The Province with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger a power freak, says Richards Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
27th February 2008 10:32 PM
GotToRollMe Jagger a power freak?!?! I'm shocked...SHOCKED!
27th February 2008 10:33 PM
sweetcharmedlife Well it sort of confirms my suspicion in recent years that I think it's Mick who's more concerned with being a Rolling Stone than Keith....But it could be the same old shit they have been saying for 40+ years.
27th February 2008 11:50 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
Mr.D wrote:

My sentiments exactly Keith! Also as far as this whole thing goes i think its just keith being keith, as in tryin to keep the stones name in the papers,i think they have a movie out atm, lol, its just keith stirring some shit so people will look, its not malicious at all, a lot of people do it for newspaper attention, keith just does it well

[Edited by Mr.D]

Ya' Tink?
27th February 2008 11:54 PM
StonesChick
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

TAlk is Cheap--best Stones album since Tattoo You and there after!!!!

Talk is Cheap good but several of the songs sound kind of the same to me. I like Wandering Spirit, Bridges, ABB, and Voodoo better. (Mick!!)
28th February 2008 02:24 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Cough it up. It might be mine.

Ian Beckles is a Tampa resident and has the best morning sports talk show in the Bay area!!!
28th February 2008 04:00 AM
IanBillen
As was said here already....Keith was just being Keith.

He has always slagged a little at Jagger. Ever since the eighties... No big news there.

I don't think he dis-credited Jaggers showmanship. He simply stated he was "vain". We all knew that. The world knows that.
then he went onto say that they need him being vain.

"Maniac", well that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think he meant it as being really "bad" per say.

Power Freak? Well again, Keith is just being Keith.

Nothing we have not heard before.

Ian
28th February 2008 04:45 AM
FotiniD I will agree with Ian, it is indeed Keith being Keith.

He's older. All those things (Mick "bashing", crazy quotes) are just getting bigger as he grows older. No big deal, I think.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but after you've spent your whole damn life with a person, you're entitled to nag about what you don't like about them without being misuderstood. I don't think it's bashing really.
28th February 2008 08:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
rollmops wrote:
So keith is not impress by Mick showmanship anymore? Keith is really going extreme with his criticism of Mick. Up to now, he has always praised Mick's skills at performing on stage. If he doesn't care about it anymore, what the fuck????
I don't understand what's going on!!!
Mops

Eh? Where in the interview does he say this??

Big fuss over nothing.

Nothing we haven't read before or don't already know.

Move along, now...
28th February 2008 09:54 AM
The Wick Fine move along but doesn't hide the fact that Keith is being a knob. I wonder who the vain one is trying to get publicity? He always does this.
28th February 2008 10:16 AM
egon For the dutch:

http://www.ad.nl/cultuurenshow/2091420/Keith_waarschuwt_voor_drugs.html
28th February 2008 01:24 PM
The jinn, my friend. Public bashing of asshole is just the way it has to be.

You can say to asshole do not spill peanut butter on the carpet. The next time he is on carpet with peanut butter he still has no regard for the peanut butter spilling. Asshole will even implicate others into his peanut butter escapades. When quite actually asshole is the only one cheap shotting the peanut butter. Furthermore, asshole wants the implicated to pay for asshole's own peanut butter escapades. Who the fuck would make the innocent clean up after asshole, especially when the whole house could be razed after being filthied by asshole?
28th February 2008 02:32 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
Dare I say, but in my opinion Keith has become more of an egomaniac, and prima donna than Jagger in the last decade.
Bitch about the Mickster all you want, but without him the Stones would not be rolling at all.

oh, by the way... I do love Keith

Oh yeah, me too, I think we all fell in love not just with the music but Keith's embodiment of the rock'n'roll lifestyle/spirit. But what you say is dead on. At this point Keith is recycling the same dozen or so soundbites he's been dishing out since the late eighties/early nineties. A Keith interview used to a goldmine of gems, Keithfucious and all, but now it's so obviously unoriginal to anyone that's been paying close attention like most diehard Stones fans would be. The "exercise on stage" bit is as old as "when you play outside, God joins the band" or his standard "You can have ---, pal" kneejerk putdowns.
"Stairway To Heaven don't cut it for me, pal", despite what your opinions on Led Zeppelin are, is an astoundingly ignorant comment. That's like putting down the Stones by saying "Miss You doesn't cut it for me, pal". Keith's on autopilot in interviews and on stage, trying to ride out the string the "street cred" he stopped earning a long time ago. He's still as close as I'll ever have to a Rock Idol, and in the end, he will go down as the greatest pure "rock'n' roll" guitarist, but listening to him now is an embarrassment. He's a cartoon. Mick's dedication to performance and Charlie's solid, stoic playing are the real "cred" in the Stones these days. Keith should own up to that if he wants to keep it real.

P.S. Sorry, I spent a long time writing this and missed the "move on" post when it came out.
[Edited by polytoxic]
28th February 2008 03:06 PM
Mel Belli I couldn't care less about the Mick-"bashing." What I find off-putting is that he couldn't muster a positive, let alone gracious, thing to say about Led Zeppelin. Not even a, "Hey, they've never been my favorite band, but I how great it is to still be performing after all these years. Who could blame them for wanting to try out the old magic?"

Instead, you get the bitchy putdown and the obviously feigned "they reunited? Hadn't heard that" reaction.

Keith may not be "vain." But he sure is a curmudgeonly old bastard, and a decreasingly charming one at that.
28th February 2008 03:20 PM
LadyJane Why the fuck should Keith be gracious to LZ when Bob Plant has insulted the Stones many times in the press?

Loyalty should be to Keith Richards. Period.

I miss jb.

LJ.
28th February 2008 03:31 PM
Fiji Joe I understand why Keith is saying these things...free press etc....but if I were him, I'd be afraid someone, the reporter, Led Zeppelin, or whoever, would point out just how shitty he has played the last 3+ years...and how he looks like a crippled spider

They should send Charlie out to talk trash...next to Mick, he's the only other one who has kept his skills up to speed
28th February 2008 03:32 PM
gimmekeef Every few days we get all fired up over misquotes and out of context crap.I dont believe for a minute Keith would slag LZ like that and it seems weird in the middle of the article its mentioned..I smell bs here...
28th February 2008 03:45 PM
glencar
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Why the fuck should Keith be gracious to LZ when Bob Plant has insulted the Stones many times in the press?

Loyalty should be to Keith Richards. Period.

I miss jb.

LJ.

I don't miss jb. Which surprises me. Anyhoo, Plant is a fruitcake & anything Keith says about him is fine be me.
28th February 2008 04:34 PM
mirfälltkeinnameein
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Eh? Where in the interview does he say this??

Big fuss over nothing.

Nothing we haven't read before or don't already know.

Move along, now...

i think he does, he gets asked what he thinks about Mick´s onstage presence, and he says: "excuse me while i laugh" .
and "vanity will not carry a band, a band carries vanity" sounds to me as: Mick has nothing else to offer than vanity, and it´s the band, who carries Mick.

i think, this is new. and if it is not, why is it ok to repeat something like that, insults, again and again? only becaus it is Keith?
28th February 2008 10:37 PM
texile
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Jagger was unavailable for comment.

He's tending to his back, which is sore from carrying Keith for the last couple of tours...

ha -
now THAT'S a classic post for the ages....
because we all know it's true.
sadly, the johnny depps and other keith groupies have no idea and that's a travesty.

PS: tampa bay, my fellow diana ross groupie - i must disagree,
the best stones album since tattoo you would be wandering spirit.
28th February 2008 10:58 PM
StonesChick
quote:
StonesChick wrote:

Talk is Cheap good but several of the songs sound kind of the same to me. I like Wandering Spirit, Bridges, ABB, and Voodoo better. (Mick!!)

Goddess too...I like Goddess better than Talk is Cheap also..
28th February 2008 11:08 PM
glencar Talk Is Cheap is better'n Main Offender though!
29th February 2008 05:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
texile wrote:

sadly, the johnny depps and other keith groupies have no idea and that's a travesty.

Personally speaking, I don't mind for a second being a "Keith groupie". Hmm, gets me thinking

Come on now. A two-line quote taken out of context and we're bitching about Keith's grudges and how he's the one being vain and on and on. Hello? It's the Stones for crying out loud! What did you expect, good behavior and Richards saying what a fantastic performer Jagger is on stage? Or does he have to say it out loud to prove that he believes it, for all of us to feel great?

I believe that there's a huge percentage of "playing" in there, the whole interchange of "insults" among the Twins, and hey, they've both admitted to that at some point. And yes, damn it, Keith is getting old. He whines and he bitches and he repeats himself So what? It seems to me that there are many people who are taking things a bit too seriously. Lighten up!
29th February 2008 06:12 AM
LadyJane save your precious breath, Fotini.
Keith has been making outrageous remarks for YEARS. It's all part of the personality.
It's why we ALL fell in love with his bad boy image.

Now that he is older and MORE eccentric he is supposed to change. Supposed to be more "respectable"?

Doesn't suit ya, Keith!!!

When the Board is reduced to a Mick vs Keith attitude, you KNOW there is a BIG LACK of Stones news.

LJ.
29th February 2008 06:30 AM
FotiniD
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

When the Board is reduced to a Mick vs Keith attitude, you KNOW there is a BIG LACK of Stones news.

LJ.

True enough. We have reached that certain point again where we NEED a Stones tour fast!
29th February 2008 07:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
mirfälltkeinnameein wrote:

i think he does, he gets asked what he thinks about Mick´s onstage presence, and he says: "excuse me while i laugh" .
and "vanity will not carry a band, a band carries vanity" sounds to me as: Mick has nothing else to offer than vanity, and it´s the band, who carries Mick.

i think, this is new. and if it is not, why is it ok to repeat something like that, insults, again and again? only becaus it is Keith?

Nope. You've interpreted it wrong. Maybe its lost in translation. Having now actually read the full interview the 'excuse me while I laugh' comment is directed at the interviewer's simplistic interpretation of the film, not at Mick.

There's absolutely nothing in that interview that 'insults' Mick - and Mick himself in the interview that immediately follows it effectively endorses Keith's comment about him always needing to be in control. The interviews basically confirm the long-held stereotypes of both of them.

I'm the first to admit that I find Keith's frequent pops at Mick in the press to be puerile, embarrassing and tedious, but on this occasion it REALLY is nothing to get worked up about.

Ho-hum. Another month, another Keith interview that sees the press cherrypick a few quotes to distort the context of them, resulting in more hysteria over the band's future by some fans. Surely we should all know better by now?

The only band member who Keith really has a bit of a pop at is actually Ronnie, going by his casual dismissal of his portrayal of Keith in his autobiography (needless to say Keith argues that about 50% of it is nonsense and ridicules Ronnie's assertion that he once pulled a gun on keith in an argument by saying that Ronnie wouldnt even know which end of a gun to hold)

These old bastards will be joined at the hip (or the throat) until they're six feet under regardless of any bitching that goes on. They basically acknowledge it.

Its actually a pretty good interview with Keith. Mick is as evasive and disinterested in being probed as ever, though.

Both dont hold out much hope for imminent Stones activity, unfortunately. Keith mentions that he's still coming down off the tour and hasnt readjusted yet and Mick says that he has a couple of ideas for future projects but isnt sure if they'll work.

[Edited by Gazza]
29th February 2008 07:54 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Having now actually read the full interview...

Which Uncut issue is it Gazza (month / cover)?
29th February 2008 08:03 AM
LadyJane "These old bastards will be joined at the hip (or the throat) until they're six feet under regardless of any bitching that goes on. They basically acknowledge it.

Its actually a pretty good interview with Keith. Mick is as evasive and disinterested in being probed as ever, though."

Excellent observations Gazza!!!!

"Both dont hold out much hope for imminent Stones activity, unfortunately. Keith mentions that he's still coming down off the tour and hasnt readjusted yet and Mick says that he has a couple of ideas for future projects but isnt sure if they'll work."

Normally this statement would cause me tremendous depression but this time I have to say "whew". Major lifestyle changes on the horizon for LJ that require her bank account be CAREFULLY administerd. Thanks Boys. Give me about a year and I'll be ready to hit the road too.

LJ.
29th February 2008 08:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Which Uncut issue is it Gazza (month / cover)?

Its the new one that (as a subscriber) I received by mail yesterday. It tends to be in the shops a day or two later.

Dont have it on me at the minute but it would be the April 2008 issue. Uncut's website still has last month's front cover (the one with The Faces) so I would imagine they'll update that in a few days (www.uncut.co.uk)

Oh, and the new issue - which has Mick and Keith on the front cover - also comes with a very nice free CD of old blues and R&B songs which influenced the Stones. There's also a contest to win tickets for the London premiere of 'Shine A Light'.
29th February 2008 08:21 AM
Gazza from the Uncut website :

In the new April issue of UNCUT, there's an exclusive interview with Rolling Stones Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. And amazingly, Uncut.co.uk has an exclusive competition prize of a PAIR of tickets to the London premiere of their new Martin Scorsese-directed flick 'Shine A Light'!

Not only does the prize include a pair of tickets to the premiere on April 2 - meaning you'll see the film ahead of everyone else when it opens on April 11 - the Stones and Scorsese will also be in attendance on the red carpet.

Plus we'll put you up in a swish West End Hotel overnight, the Rathbone Hotel!

To be in with a chance of winning this superb prize, all you have to do is check out the UNCUT interview in the latest issue and answer the simple question below.

This competition closes on Friday March 30 at 6pm. Winners will be notified by telephone/email, so please include your daytime contact details.
Please note: travel to London is not included in the prize.

In the Uncut interview, Richards calls Jagger a "power freak". "Mick's a maniac," he says. "He can't get up in the morning without knowing immediately who he's going to call. Meanwhile, I just go 'Thank God I'm awake' and wait for three or four hours before I do anything.

Richards passes judgment on the Led Zeppelin reunion: "Fuck off. 'Stairway To Heaven' don't make it for me, baby." He also has little time for the Stones' successors, saying, "I didn't like Oasis. I didn't like the Sex Pistols. I don't like any of those English rock'n'roll bands. They're all fucking crap."

Meanwhile, you can read Uncut's first review of 'Shine A Light' by clicking here now.
http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=614&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more614

www.uncut.co.uk
29th February 2008 08:26 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its the new one that (as a subscriber) I received by mail yesterday. It tends to be in the shops a day or two later.

Dont have it on me at the minute but it would be the April 2008 issue. Uncut's website still has last month's front cover (the one with The Faces) so I would imagine they'll update that in a few days (www.uncut.co.uk)

Oh, and the new issue - which has Mick and Keith on the front cover - also comes with a very nice free CD of old blues and R&B songs which influenced the Stones. There's also a contest to win tickets for the London premiere of 'Shine A Light'.

Thanks!
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)