ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has "Old Habits Die Hard" ever been performed live? Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th February 2006 12:08 AM
roughjusticonya Or it is taboo for Mick to bring a solo song into a Stones show? I personally think this song is better than anything off Bigger Bang.
26th February 2006 12:11 AM
T&A of course it hasn't been performed live. I almost agree with your comment - it's certainly the "missing single" from ABB - one of Jagger's best pop "hooks" in many years....
26th February 2006 06:04 AM
JaggerLips I love that song! Wish he could sing it live! Also wish New York Hustle off that Alfie album could be thrown in to a concert as an interlude before the introductions! Freaking love that harmonica!!
26th February 2006 08:25 AM
luxury1 yep, old habits die hard......
26th February 2006 11:30 AM
Gazza You'll never hear it live..they dont do solo songs in concert

The only exception was two performances of Woody's "Sure The One You Need", sung by Keith for his 'solo spot' in 1975 (which was technically not a 'solo' song but a cover, as Woody wasnt actually a Stone at that time)
26th February 2006 12:52 PM
Ihavelotsajam Has it been performed live at all-- i.e. did Mick and Dave Stewart ever do it live anywhere?
26th February 2006 12:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Has it been performed live at all-- i.e. did Mick and Dave Stewart ever do it live anywhere?

no
26th February 2006 01:06 PM
glencar You'll hear SOL first!
26th February 2006 01:29 PM
Gimme Shelter They did perform Don't Look Back on the Licks tour. Wasn't that a solo song that Mick did with Peter Tosh.
26th February 2006 01:41 PM
glencar More like MJ did backing vocals on a Peter Tosh song.
26th February 2006 02:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
More like MJ did backing vocals on a Peter Tosh song.

correct
26th February 2006 03:39 PM
exile New York Hustle is a great song. love it
26th February 2006 03:47 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
exile wrote:
New York Hustle is a great song. love it

Yeah always play it more than once!!! Should be twice as long in my eyes!

CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH OF JAGGER ON HARMONICA!
26th February 2006 06:17 PM
gotdablouse Yes it's a pity, the title and lyrics certainly make more sense than RJ or SOL or almost anything off of ABB where Mick seems to be happy singing about silly stuff like his dick.
26th February 2006 06:24 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You'll never hear it live..they dont do solo songs in concert

The only exception was two performances of Woody's "Sure The One You Need", sung by Keith for his 'solo spot' in 1975 (which was technically not a 'solo' song but a cover, as Woody wasnt actually a Stone at that time)

Well, "sure the one you need" is more keith's than woody's - keith wrote it, didn't he?
26th February 2006 06:52 PM
Soldatti OHDH won an Emmy for best song, an incredible achievement.
26th February 2006 06:55 PM
glencar No, not an Emmy. That's for "high quality TV." It won a Golden Globe which is what the Hollywood Foreign Press Association awards. Supposedly they can be bought...
26th February 2006 07:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:

Well, "sure the one you need" is more keith's than woody's - keith wrote it, didn't he?

yeah, thats true, although what I meant was its from Woody's first solo album
26th February 2006 07:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Yes it's a pity, the title and lyrics certainly make more sense than RJ or SOL or almost anything off of ABB where Mick seems to be happy singing about silly stuff like his dick.

Some of the songs, most notably 'Biggest mistake' sounds like hes being reflective about the fact that he's been 'silly' with his dick

The mood of the song (not to mention the musical style of it) sounds like he could have been written for the "Alfie" soundtrack. If anything, "Old Habits" and "Biggest Mistake" show a similarly 'mature' side of his songwriting, although as "Biggest Mistake" ended up on a Stones album instead of a soundtrack of songs written "in character", its natural to see it as more semi auto-biographical.
26th February 2006 10:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, not an Emmy. That's for "high quality TV." It won a Golden Globe which is what the Hollywood Foreign Press Association awards. Supposedly they can be bought...

Right, the Emmy's nominations were for 4 Flicks.
26th February 2006 10:07 PM
glencar Now that I had forgotten about!
27th February 2006 12:04 AM
PeerQueer Old Habits is a solid tune - I even enjoyed the film, though would have loved to have seen Mick take a shot at that roll about 15 years ago...

27th February 2006 02:58 AM
Mathijs The Alfie soundtrack is the absolute winner in the contest "worst product by any Stone". It even beats Jagger's own Goddess. It truly is the worst slimy pop released since Cinderellla days. I especially loath these horrible fancy voice bends on Old Habits, it's just totally fake.

By the way, Jagger performed Don't Look Back as opener for the Stones. The Stones also rehearsed that song at Woodstock to include in their own set.
27th February 2006 03:51 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The Alfie soundtrack is the absolute winner in the contest "worst product by any Stone". It even beats Jagger's own Goddess. It truly is the worst slimy pop released since Cinderellla days. I especially loath these horrible fancy voice bends on Old Habits, it's just totally fake.

By the way, Jagger performed Don't Look Back as opener for the Stones. The Stones also rehearsed that song at Woodstock to include in their own set.

I hate this Alfie soundtrack too.it's Jagger's ticket to the wonderful oldies pop act like Elton,Cocker, Phil collins, awful , awful awful...

oh, and Goddess is better than ABB of course!

[Edited by Jumacfly]
27th February 2006 04:56 AM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I hate this Alfie soundtrack too.
oh, and Goddess is better than ABB of course!

Yeah, i was thinking "WTF?" as well when i read
this thread.

And Biggest mistake is definitely the worst song on ABB,
It should have been on a jagger solo album where it can
blend in with the rest.

IMO of course, which doesn't really mean shit now does it?
27th February 2006 04:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

By the way, Jagger performed Don't Look Back as opener for the Stones.

yep..as a guest of Peter Tosh
27th February 2006 05:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:

Yeah, i was thinking "WTF?" as well when i read
this thread.

And Biggest mistake is definitely the worst song on ABB,
It should have been on a jagger solo album where it can
blend in with the rest.

IMO of course, which doesn't really mean shit now does it?

It has too much guitar to be on a Jagger album!
opinions are like assholes bro you know the rest...
27th February 2006 05:16 AM
Angiegirl I have never heard the actual soundtrack, only few snippets on the web. I'm proud to say I don't own it and never will.

I did see the film itself, and it's one of the most awful films I ever saw. Bored me to tears.

Mick's fake singing makes me cringe as well.
27th February 2006 05:24 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Mick's fake singing makes me cringe as well.

Same here!! bring back the rocker Angie!!
27th February 2006 05:27 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Same here!! bring back the rocker Angie!!

Ok.

Here goes, ready?

'Did you hear about the Midnight Rambler...'
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)