ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro
© 1968 Jornal O Globo
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: USA Today Calls U2 Worlds Greatest R&R Band Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 9th, 2006 07:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:

because there was no rock category at the Grammys between 1966 and 1979 - thereby missing the Stones' best period

True, and Some Girls got a nomination for album of the year in 1978.
February 9th, 2006 07:35 PM
Taptrick
The only thing U2 is the greatest at, is being a POP band. They have nothing close to affecting the social fabric of the western world or rising out of the roots of blues and R&B while rolling through American and British country styles while laying down four world reknowned classic albums in a boehmian, hedonistic blur. The U2 can't even approach Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Tumbling Dice, Satisfaction. HTW, JJF...etc

Which reminds me. There was a cartoon. I think it was in playboy in the 70s. This girl is sitting next to a guy at a party and she asks, "So why aren't you Mick Jagger?" Anybody seen that? If someone thinks U2 is the greatest then The Stones built the world and the universe. It's like comparing Ricky nelson to Elvis. I mean I like Ricky but.....

February 11th, 2006 06:54 AM
Ramrod U2 are not rock'n'roll, they came out of the tale end of the punk movement, with a Celtic flavour thing going on. They then embraced technology and the production of Brian Eno and became huge. But at no point were they really a rock'n'roll type band. They did try with that double live album and movie thing but failed at being rock'n'roll, so they quickly retreated back to the digital effects again.

They are only described as 'Rock' for want of a better way to categorise them. 'Rock' is a generic term applied to whomever can't quite be fitted into the 'Pop' category by the marketeers who require either fresh faced young things or has been middle aged crooners for this categorisation.

U2 are really very middle of the road in so many ways and if it wasn't for Bono taking a political stance and grabbing some ideological relevancy with the current generation, they would already have been relegated to the history books. Sorry to any U2 fans, but this is almost certainly true.

Statiticians look at the raw figures and as such statistics are not about value judgements. Magazines print much of what may appear to be carefully analysed but at the end of the day they don't really care themselves and it's about the demographics of their readership. U2 probably sit well with those demographics, so they will call them a 'Rock' band for that purpose.
February 11th, 2006 09:39 AM
Thumb59 Well the Stones have been always at the right place at the right time. Do not forget that they had trouble selling the 1975 shows because of Led Zeppelin which is still very big in the US/Canada. They avoided to tour the same time as Led Zep did at those time. U2 seems to be now were the Stones have been (live wise and reaching fan wise) during Voodoo Lounge. I do not say that Voodoo Lounge was the best tour or whatever, but it reached the most people and did sell really well as there was nobody really around.
Another fact is that Bono is very well accredited and received in politics circles and other ... what ever groups. The Stones do this and that, but give a damn shit. They know what to do, of course with their beloved cashing in promoter Micheal Cohl. I think this time they just overboarded a bit price wise and to go to Superbowl (which I tought was genius) doesn't really make more fans.
Live is getting tough not only for us, but also for the Stones.
By the way if you would listen to Exile today as being posted as a new album you would call it crab. It was only good because it reflects that era and that's how bigger bang reflects this era of music. And this by far can nobody do like the Stones.
February 11th, 2006 12:38 PM
Shawn20 I'm not sure about the accuracy of the "Stones had trouble selling the 75 tickets due to the presense of Zepplin." What is the story behind this?
February 11th, 2006 03:38 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I shall from here on out refuse my free USA Today with my Marriot Rewards card as I travel!

Agreed! 100%
February 11th, 2006 04:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
February 12th, 2006 03:31 AM
Child of the Moon Bono...

Ha-HA! Boner.
February 12th, 2006 03:32 AM
Child of the Moon No, wait, I'm sorry. I totally forgot...

Bono is A TWAT!
February 12th, 2006 06:47 PM
Chuck I never thought U2 rocked. I thought they sounded artsy fartsy from the beginning.

My 11 year old daughter was checking out some U2 video clips today and her comments really had me laughing. She said "look at this guy, he thinks he's all cool, but he's just old."

Another video had Bono thrusting toward the lens, and my daughter said: "Who does he think he is? Nobody wants to get that close to his crotch! He has cockroach style."

Man, I was howling.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)