ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Presley's legacy is muddled says Pete Townshend Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th February 2007 06:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Elvis Presley's legacy is muddled says Pete Townshend of The Who
The Rock Radio
Feb 6,2007

Pete Townshend says that the true power of Elvis Presley's early work overshadows the myth that has built up in the 30 years since his death. The Who have been performing Townshend's personal tribute to Presley, called "Real Good Looking Boy," on their recent tour, despite the fact that Presley was never a major influence on Townshend growing up. He explained to Goldmine that, "He is not as important to me as some other late 1950s artists, but Elvis was the first truly beautiful man, rather than rugged handsome man, that young men like me, and Roger (Daltrey), felt safe to adore."

Townshend added that when Presley became an actor and a global superstar, it came close to ruining him as an artist: "His legacy is muddled. We have to focus on (his) early work, and just one or two of his movies, and elements of his TV shows, to keep his memory pure. People now know that Elvis could play a mean rhythm guitar himself, and needed no other musicians to perform a great song. But Elvis was not just a rock star, he was an all-round entertainer. He flew on our adoration for the last 10 years of his life and he is probably still flying on it now."

We spoke to Townshend while he was in the States during the Who's last set of dates. Townshend said that he viewed Presley's movie years as a wasted opportunity: "I was watching the TV yesterday, and Blue Hawaii was on. I just thought, 'What was Elvis doing?!' You know, the Beatles were about to appear, Ricky Nelson was putting out 'Hello, Mary Lou,' the Everly Brothers were doing 'Cathy's Clown' -- the most unbelievably brilliant music! Dion was doing great stuff. It was the most fantastic records being made! (Elvis was) dressing up in Hawaiian shirts, playing the ukulele and getting married on a raft."

"Real Good Looking Boy" includes passages from Presley's 1962 Top Two hit "Can't Help Falling In Love." It was originally released on the band's compilation The Who: Then And Now - 1964-2004, and was the band's first original studio track in 15 years.

In October, the Who released their first new album since 1982, the critically acclaimed Top Ten hit, Endless Wire.

Townshend has just released a new solo compilation titled Definitive Collection, featuring such favorites as "Let My Love Open The Door," "Rough Boys," "Slit Skirts," "Give Blood," and others.

Pete Townshend will next perform on February 20th with his girlfriend Rachel Fuller, and other yet-to-be-named guest artists, at Joe's Pub in New York City. The Who kick off their next series of dates on February 23rd in Reno, Nevada at the Reno Events Center.
7th February 2007 06:26 AM
Nellcote Talk about calling the kettle black.
Am I the only one who will think Pete's legacy will be looked at as muddled? Oh, right, it was research...
7th February 2007 06:29 AM
Prodigal Son I love the guy, but this is some more homoerotic jibber jabber from old Petey. I'm waiting on Joey's Why-Why? replies but hey, listen to the guy. He clearly had the hots for Elvis too, not just Mick. And when you look at the song titles, it's also a bit curious: "Rough Boys," 'And I Moved" (both admitedly written about homosexuality), "I Am an Animal." Oh did I mention those were all on Empty Glass? Seems before Pete's 70s boozing days and the future drug issues, he kept his gay side hidden a bit. Pete's not one of the extravagant closet gay rockers or else he'd have worn the makeup of Bowie and the glittery, purple jump suits of one Keith Moon (if the man hadn't died, there's no way Dudley Moore gets picked to play the starring role in Arthur).
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
7th February 2007 07:24 AM
new faces
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I love the guy, but this is some more homoerotic jibber jabber from old Petey. I\'m waiting on Joey\'s Why-Why? replies but hey, listen to the guy. He clearly had the hots for Elvis too, not just Mick. And when you look at the song titles, it\'s also a bit curious: \"Rough Boys,\" \'And I Moved\" (both admitedly written about homosexuality), \"I Am an Animal.\" Oh did I mention those were all on Empty Glass? Seems before Pete\'s 70s boozing days and the future drug issues, he kept his gay side hidden a bit. Pete\'s not one of the extravagant closet gay rockers or else he\'d have worn the makeup of Bowie and the glittery, purple jump suits of one Keith Moon (if the man hadn\'t died, there\'s no way Dudley Moore gets picked to play the starring role in Arthur).
[Edited by Prodigal Son]

Pete is great, Elvis is great. They have given us more than we have given them. Let us leave it at that.

7th February 2007 07:27 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Talk about calling the kettle black.
Am I the only one who will think Pete's legacy will be looked at as muddled? Oh, right, it was research...

Bingo.
7th February 2007 08:01 AM
lotsajizz bongo
7th February 2007 09:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think some of you are reading too much into Pete Townsend’s comments here. Elvis was a very good looking bloke and well, Pete and Rodger were pretty ugly. I can totally understand them for looking up to the more rugged men for inspiration.

He is also very much right about the Kings legacy. Put it this way, if Elvis started recording circa 1963, people wouldn't be talking about him now!
7th February 2007 10:39 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Bingo.

Maxy ?!

|
|
V

7th February 2007 10:41 AM
Joey " Pete's not one of the extravagant closet gay rockers or else he'd have worn the makeup of Bowie and the glittery, purple jump suits of one Keith Moon (if the man hadn't died, there's no way Dudley Moore gets picked to play the starring role in Arthur). "

*********** SIGH ****************

7th February 2007 10:46 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Maxy ?!

|
|
V

Yes Jar Jar, Maxy.

7th February 2007 11:20 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Yes Jar Jar, Maxy.

Come to Joey .................................

[Edited by Joey]
7th February 2007 03:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I'm glad Pete is concerned with "Presley's Legacy."

A "Presley's Legacy?"

What could that possibly be?

I wish I could be around 1000 years from now to figure it out.
7th February 2007 04:00 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I'm glad Pete is concerned with "Presley's Legacy."

A "Presley's Legacy?"

What could that possibly be?

I wish I could be around 1000 years from now to figure it out.

I wish I could take my afternoon shit
7th February 2007 10:23 PM
Lethargy Pete has made a point in the last 6 months to insult:

The Stones
The Beatles
Zeppelin
and now Elvis

But oh yeah, he grants interviews where he discusses how brilliant and ahead of his time he was and is.

What the hell is this guy's problem?
8th February 2007 11:06 AM
Joey " What the hell is this guy's problem? "

We got no crisis ........................just another tricky day ................ for :

8th February 2007 11:09 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
What the hell is this guy's problem?

Lethargy,

It took Pervy Petey 28 years to put out a new Who album. I figured you would of at least admired his pace, no? LOL
8th February 2007 11:11 AM
Joey " It took Petey 28 years to put out a new Who album. I figured you would of at least admired his pace, no? LOL "

You make kins sad .
8th February 2007 11:15 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:
" It took Petey 28 years to put out a new Who album. I figured you would of at least admired his pace, no? LOL "

You make kins sad .

8th February 2007 02:56 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

the joey is an excellent writer on the level of jagger/richards and pete townshend

Bless You Saint Sway

Bless You !!!!!!!!!!!

8th February 2007 03:08 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
JB wrote:
The crowd was a very weak 45-50k.It was not sold out and plenty of tickets were available. I saw Michael Cohl at the Sellbach Hilton, but was too disgusted to even go up and talk to him. I asw Keith's hot daughters and follwed them into the elevator. Bobby Keyess was friendly, and as I stated above, Alice Cooper(great show) was very nice. I could not, in good faith, reccommend that anyone attend any further shows. There is simply nothing new to offer. This was the first time I absolutely felt no excitement from the time they hit the stage until the end...The played very well, but it just was nothing that I have not seen 50 times before. As for seeing the Who, a total mistake.....becuase I brough my 10 yr old as well. We did, however, have breakfest next to Alice Cooper, who is a very nice man. He spent a few minutes talking to us and treated my son very kindly. Thankfully I was able to sheild my son from Pete.

8th February 2007 03:11 PM
Gazza Sway - please check your PM
8th February 2007 03:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
sway, you're killing me... are these real Jb quotes, or just excellent parodies?

yes. These are actual quotes lifted straight from the archives.

The man was born with a highly gifted posting gene. A pure one of a kind talent.

I am merely honoring his work. A homage, if you will.

It brings me great pleasure to know that you and so many others have enjoyed them a great deal.

Peace for now.

Keeping the Rocks Off moral up during these lonely times...
Your devoted man in the trenches....

Sway
8th February 2007 03:57 PM
glencar
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I love the guy, but this is some more homoerotic jibber jabber from old Petey. I'm waiting on Joey's Why-Why? replies but hey, listen to the guy. He clearly had the hots for Elvis too, not just Mick. And when you look at the song titles, it's also a bit curious: "Rough Boys," 'And I Moved" (both admitedly written about homosexuality), "I Am an Animal." Oh did I mention those were all on Empty Glass? Seems before Pete's 70s boozing days and the future drug issues, he kept his gay side hidden a bit. Pete's not one of the extravagant closet gay rockers or else he'd have worn the makeup of Bowie and the glittery, purple jump suits of one Keith Moon (if the man hadn't died, there's no way Dudley Moore gets picked to play the starring role in Arthur).
[Edited by Prodigal Son]

I heard on Howard Stern that some mediocre former basketball player has admitted a love for Townsend!
8th February 2007 03:58 PM
glencar As for legacies, they all get re-evaluated through the course of history. Elvis was, is & always will be the first rock superstar. He blazed a trail for all the rest.
8th February 2007 04:00 PM
Saint Sway both Elvis & the Stones showed the way for many bands with what to do AND what not to do
8th February 2007 06:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >He blazed a trail for all the rest.<

Yes.
And as did Colonel Parker.
8th February 2007 11:16 PM
guitarman53 I thought that 3 original members of a band making a comeback was bad, but 2!!!Pete Townshend is a great writer & guitarist, & Roger Daltry is a great singer, but the reason I loved the band was their great Rhythm section, keith Moon & John Entwistle, there's no way I would ever see them live, certainly not without John Entwistle, that's like The Stones going on tour with just Jagger & Richards, & no Charlie Watts.
9th February 2007 08:20 AM
Gazza maybe true had it actually been a comeback, but the Who have never split up following the death of a band member. Each time one of them popped their clogs, they decided to continue - in the most recent case, literally on the eve of a US tour. They're on their third tour already since Entwistle died.
9th February 2007 08:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
>He blazed a trail for all the rest.<

Yes.
And as did Colonel Parker.

he sure did. A charmless hussler with a talent for generating a lot of cash out of a gullible public, and with an obsession in doing so to such a degree that it influenced his artist to a level where they lost their grip with reality and sucked a great deal of the artistic and creative ambition out of them...

Oh, sorry, you were talking about the Colonel??

9th February 2007 10:49 AM
gimmekeef Has Pete been hangin with Gary Glitter?.......
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)