ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Coliseo de San Juan, Purto Rico - February 11, 2006
© Javier J. Freytes, "El Nuevo Día" with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steelers! Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 5th, 2006 10:27 PM
sirmoonie The god shows his love of real Americans - The Perfect Storm - The Perfect Confluence

And there it was, spaketh the lord: The Pittsburgh Steelers and The Rolling Stones. Super fine!

Smote.

Manifest destiny. Man o'fest dest o' nee.

And for you fucking chumps that didn't believe in the great triumvirate of god/Steelers/Stones, your lives have once again been shown to be worthless. You are barely fit to breathe the same air as people like me - a believer in all things Stones/Steelerish. Thats right, a believer.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NOT.
February 5th, 2006 10:47 PM
Gazza "Steelers to win by at least 10 points" - Gazza The Greek

Did I let you down?
February 5th, 2006 10:51 PM
jb The refs stole this game from the Seahawks from the opening drive........................................
February 5th, 2006 10:57 PM
Stonesthrow I was for the Steelers. However, you shouldn't lose when the zebras are on your side.
February 5th, 2006 11:00 PM
sirmoonie Steelers!
February 5th, 2006 11:16 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
jb wrote:
The refs stole this game from the Seahawks from the opening drive........................................

There's no question the hold and the touchdown were the wrong calls.
Then we have the dropped passes and too many penalties by Seattle. This can not happen in a champioship game.
The Stones ruled, the rest of it is just details.

Rick
February 6th, 2006 12:02 AM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:
The refs stole this game from the Seahawks from the opening drive........................................

First, let me congratulate all STEELER fans. I was pulling for Steel town all the way & glad they finally got one for the thumb. Also, awesome that Hines Ward got MVP, a very deserving award to a great human being.

However, honesty compels me to report that of all the Super Bowl games I've seen, this had to be the most lopsided officiated game I've seen. I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with JB. Virtually every call went the STEELERS way and bad calls from the refs took away at least 11 points from Seattle while adding 7 to the Steeler column. Since the final score was 21-10, it doesn't take much knowledge in math to know that the refs definitely affected the outcome of the game.

Still, no one's going to remember that or talk about it for very long. In post game analyst, no one is mentioning it on channels like ABC or ESPN. There only talking about the bus and how great it is that Jerome finally got a Super Bowl ring. The Steeler got one for the thumb!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!
February 6th, 2006 12:24 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox I smell another "4 in 6", and you??
February 6th, 2006 07:25 AM
MrPleasant I think that football is an interesting sport.
February 6th, 2006 07:30 AM
Nellcote AFC RULES!!
February 6th, 2006 09:28 AM
gimmekeef Seattle could have overcome the atrocious officiating and Ben's rookie like performance.Key first half injuries to the Hawks secondary also made a huge difference.Sports is seldom fair and it was just the Steelers year and the reality remains long after the whining stops...You make your own breaks and the Hawks came up short.As a Steeler fan who has waited 27 years for a win...I'll take it and sometimes good guys (Rooney/Bettis/Cowher/Ward) do finish first.
February 6th, 2006 09:38 AM
Joey

< ---- The refs stole this game from the Seahawks from the opening drive........................................

Are you sure about that Lil' buddy ?!?!

I thought the Steelers were awesome last evening .
February 6th, 2006 09:49 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

I thought the Steelers were awesome last evening .

They were Joey. Super fine. Super fine was the Steelers.

Have you seen what they are saying at www.maxlugar.com? Its like an Islamic freak show over there. Never before has there been such a concetration of un-American posting. Its like a granite black hole of un-Americanism.
February 6th, 2006 10:12 AM
lotsajizz NFC blows
February 6th, 2006 10:45 AM
Lil Brian The Sea'Dogs' have to be kickin' themselves this morning.
February 6th, 2006 04:34 PM
Some Guy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

They were Joey. Super fine. Super fine was the Steelers.

Have you seen what they are saying at www.maxlugar.com? Its like an Islamic freak show over there. Never before has there been such a concetration of un-American posting. Its like a granite black hole of un-Americanism.

Is that the cartoon that is causing all the trouble?
February 6th, 2006 04:35 PM
pdog A win is a win, even if it's a fix !!!
February 6th, 2006 06:13 PM
Throwaway The Tainted Ring controversy is rightfully so.
exhibit a)First quarter offensive pass int. on D. Jackson turns 7 seattle points into 3
b)Ben Rothlisberger tucks the ball while running for a touchdown, and despite the ball being several inches behind the goal line, the ref's turn the Steelers kicking 3 points on what would have been 4th down into 7
c)Forth quarter holding call on Locklear, which would have given Seattle 1st and goal from the 2...so at least 3, most likely 7 points taken away

Of course Pittsburgh nearly got screwed against Indy, where the refs were trying to give the game to the Colts. Rightfully so, the Steelers won and riots were avoided. That reffing was terrible for a 2st round playoff game, and yesterdays reffing for a super bowl was unacceptable.
February 6th, 2006 06:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >a)First quarter offensive pass int. on D. Jackson turns 7 seattle points into 3<

Uh OK. Except Jackson put his hand on the defenders chest and then locked out his elbow. The official who made the call will ALWAYS throw the flag when he sees that elbow lock. It is one of the things that the officials key on. It was offensive pass interference. He might have gotten away with it if it had he not been dumb enough to do it right in the officials face.

b)Ben Rothlisberger tucks the ball while running for a touchdown, and despite the ball being several inches behind the goal line, the ref's turn the Steelers kicking 3 points on what would have been 4th down into 7

Looked like the ball touched the plane of the goaline to me. There was certainly no "irrefutable video evidence" to prove differently. You are also assuming that Cowher would not have gone for it. No necessaily so. Cowher coaches with a big set of brass ones...

c)Forth quarter holding call on Locklear, which would have given Seattle 1st and goal from the 2...so at least 3, most likely 7 points taken away

Yeah, and it WAS holding. It's not the Steelers fault that Locklear picked that particular play to put a headlock on!

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me...

And no, I'm not a Steelers fan.
February 6th, 2006 06:44 PM
Throwaway hey im not a Seattle fan or trying to get into any heated arguments, hell I think Pittsburgh deserved their rings after what happened in Indianapolis! Just saying from a neutral source that it seemed the reffing was very poor, (i forgot to mention the 15 yard penalty on M. Hasselback for trying to make a tackle) and I know i'm not alone (see various articles on ESPN.com, turn on sports talk radio, etc). Seattle shot themselves in the foot by missing out on some chances in the second half, and Pittsburgh made some great plays. It's a shame that a sport that permits instant replay and tries to get the officiating as close to perfect as possible (whereas say baseball the umpiring is far from finite) has its biggest game tainted.
February 6th, 2006 07:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh hey, don't get me wrong...I think the officials were/are retards. That personal foul on Hasselbeck was ridiculous. You could put chimps out there in zebra suits and get a better officiated game.

I am convinced that the NFL gives IQ tests to it's officials. If they score low enough, like in double digits, they get hired. The vision impared must get preferential hiring too...as long as they agree to not wear their glasses.

I personally don't see that this game was any more or any less poorly officiated than usual. The officiating is ALWAYS poor...so why anyone is shocked by this is beyond me. Maybe you didn't see the rest of the playoffs?
February 6th, 2006 09:03 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Uh OK. Except Jackson put his hand on the defenders chest and then locked out his elbow. The official who made the call will ALWAYS throw the flag when he sees that elbow lock. It is one of the things that the officials key on. It was offensive pass interference. He might have gotten away with it if it had he not been dumb enough to do it right in the officials face.

Yup. And the ref was literally three feet away and reached for flag immediately. Ball in air, you stiff arm/push off, offense or defense, its a flag. Good call. If he doesn't push, the pass gets knocked down by defender.

quote:

Looked like the ball touched the plane of the goaline to me. There was certainly no "irrefutable video evidence" to prove differently. You are also assuming that Cowher would not have gone for it. No necessaily so. Cowher coaches with a big set of brass ones...

Yup. Watch the thing, ball goes over line while he is in air, then gets nudged back. Thats what ref called. Again the guys was right on it.

quote:

Yeah, and it WAS holding. It's not the Steelers fault that Locklear picked that particular play to put a headlock on!

Yup. It was holding.

The penalty on Hasselback was bogus, but so was the ruling on Stevens clear fumble.

Game came out the way it should have. Seahwaks could not do jack with Steeler defense, and the Steelers came up with the big plays when the needed to.

quote:

Yup.
February 7th, 2006 02:35 AM
Child of the Moon Steeeeeeeeelers!!!

I had to work last night, so I missed the whole thing. Given all the circumstances, I'm sorry I did. Stones and Steelers? Fuck yeah.

It's hard living in the Pacific Northwest, though, when yer a Steelers fan and everybody else is rooting for Seattle. But now I can at least gloat.
February 7th, 2006 03:03 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Steeeeeeeeelers!!!

I had to work last night, so I missed the whole thing. Given all the circumstances, I'm sorry I did. Stones and Steelers? Fuck yeah.

It's hard living in the Pacific Northwest, though, when yer a Steelers fan and everybody else is rooting for Seattle. But now I can at least gloat.

You are a good man, COTM. I always said you were a good man.

The Steelers were Super Fine!
February 7th, 2006 09:26 AM
time is on my side
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>a)First quarter offensive pass int. on D. Jackson turns 7 seattle points into 3<

And no, I'm not a Steelers fan.

SS- I do agree with your statement about the terrible state of NFL officiating. It sucks big time. After that, I not so sure we saw the same plays. I disagree with your analyst on every play.

I was pulling for the Steelers big time and am glad they won so unlike you I can be considered a Steelers fan. I just like to see things decided on the field of play and not by a bunch of refs. On Super Sunday, it was largely decided by the refs. At least that's the way I saw it (I know you saw it differently so what else is new????)

Sour grapes???? If it was 21-10 Seahawks and the officials called the same plays against the Steelers, Jerry Porter would to this day still be ranting and raving. The officiating was completely one sided. Can you even remember one call going against the Steelers??? Them are the facts.

I going to quote a sportswriter who saw it the same way I did. He says it so much better than I could so here's what he had to say about the game. He was someone else pulling for the Steelers:

This is the space where I get to say, I told ya so. But I won't. I can't.

I've never felt so empty being right. I feel dirty. I wish I'd been wrong. The Steelers did not deserve to win this game. They were not the better team. O'Connor was right. Seattle was the better team.

So, Paul Tagliabue, how does a team lose when it outgains an opponent by 57 yards, controls time of possession and wins the turnover battle?

Like a crazed CIA analyst running through the halls of Langley screaming into open offices about some impending calamity, I've been shrieking hysterically about the terrible officiating in the NFL and warning that some day the brutal calls were going to affect the outcome of the Super Bowl.

That some day was Sunday.

Every single questionable, marginal or outright bad call went against the Seahawks.

Their first three big plays were all wiped out by penalty calls. On their second drive, Darrell Jackson caught an 18-yard pass on 3rd-and-6 that would have given Seattle a first down at the 23. But Chris Gray was called for holding James Farrior. When Farrior pushed upfield, Gray did hook him with his right arm, and Farrior went down. When referee Bill Levy flagged Gray, it was a bad omen for the Seahawks. Instead of being on the edge of the red zone, they came away without any points.

On their third drive, the Seahawks looked to take a 7-0 lead when Jackson separated from Chris Hope in the end zone and Matt Hasselbeck delivered a perfect strike to his outside shoulder. The back judge looked uncertain —sound familiar, Patriots fans? — then finally jerked his flag out and called offensive pass interference to wipe out the touchdown. The replay showed receiver and defender hand-fighting with Jackson getting the slightest push into Hope's chest before turning to catch the ball. ABC's John Madden thought the call was dubious. FOX analyst and all-time great offensive lineman Brian Baldinger had no doubts, calling it "absolutely horrendous" on his FOXSports.com Super Bowl Instant Analysis. ESPN's Steve Young and Michael Irvin also had no uncertainty, dismissing the call as ticky-tack and insisting the Seahawks got robbed of a TD.

Then came a huge call on the first play of the second quarter. Peter Warrick ripped off a 33-yard punt return to give Seattle the ball at the Steelers 46. But Etric Pruitt was called for holding. How clear was it? Well, Madden thought the call was for Pruitt holding the runner at the beginning of the play. It wasn't. The flag came in during the runback and it looked pretty minor. Another example of an official searching to make a call.

So despite totally dominating the first 20 minutes of the game, the Seahawks led only 3-0.

Then came Pittsbugh's first touchdown. Whether you think Roethlisberger broke the plane of the goal line seems to depend on which team you were rooting for. The odd part was the line judge seemed to have determined that Big Ben had come up short as he ran in from the sideline. Since Roethlisberger had been pushed back well short of the goal line I don't know what he could have seen as he got closer to the pile that would have made him change his mind. But up went the arms. Had Roethlisberger been ruled short of the plane, that call would no doubt have stood too. But you figure the Black and Gold would have pounded it in from the two-inch line on fourth down so there's not that much here for Seattle fans to complain about except for the continuing storyline that every single call was going the Steelers' way. And the worst was yet to come.

The Seahawks were on the verge of taking a 17-14 lead early in the fourth quarter when officiating disaster struck. Hasselbeck had drilled a pass down the seam to Jerramy Stevens to set up first-and-goal at the one when suddenly Levy appeared in the middle of the screen to call the play back on account of holding on Sean Locklear. No less a source than newly-minted Hall of Famer John Madden came right out and said it was a bad call. This penalty was beyond ticky-tack. Baldinger called it "another terrible call" and added that the Steelers were offsides on the play. It was yet another official searching for a call, desperate to throw his flag, yearning to impact the action. Why, why, oh, why? That's 14 points the officials simply took away from the Seahawks. Incredible.

After a sack, Hasselbeck threw a pick and then was penalized 15 yards for making the tackle. I'm not kidding. The same thing happened in the Indy-Pittsburgh game in the regular season. It's like the officials become so discombobulated during the change of possession that they just randomly start throwing flags. The call was that Hasselbeck had thrown an illegal block below the waist on the return. Never mind that Hasselbeck wasn't trying to block anybody and did, in fact, make the tackle. Just another terrible call that cannot be reviewed in Paul Tagliabue's NFL.

The Steelers took quick advantage of their enhanced field position and just like that it was 21-10 Pittsburgh when it should have been 17-14 Seattle.

But the stripes weren't done.

First, they blew a fumble call on the field — of course against Seattle — before overturning it after replay. Then, with the Steelers trying to run out the clock, Levy granted Roethlisberger a timeout, even though the play clock clearly read zero before the quarterback signaled for time. It ended up being the final bad call in Seattle's coffin.

As Madden and Al Michaels watched the replay they shared a laugh about a similar bad non-call in an earlier playoff game between the Bears and Panthers. This is what it has come to: Announcers comparing the bad calls happening before them to the bad calls from earlier rounds of the playoffs. Is this really what the NFL wants?

Did the refs get this Ben Roethlisberger touchdown call right? It's certainly up for debate. (Elaine Thompson / Associated Press)

With Cris Collinsworth lobbying for pass interference to be eligible for review on Inside the NFL after New England got jobbed in Denver; Joey Porter inveighing against the league after the game in Indy; Young and Irvin railing at halftime of the Super Bowl; Baldinger being spot-on with his Instant Analysis critique of the officials; and Madden and Michaels wondering aloud about the officiating during the game ... is anybody in the league office listening?

Or can we pretty much count on next year's playoffs being dominated by the officials too?

Was that Mike Holmgren or Mike Martz?
The one area where most people agreed Seattle might have an edge was on the sidelines. Mike Holmgren was supposed to be a better game coach than Bill Cowher. But a funny thing happened to Holmgren at the end of the first half (and again at the end of the game): he became Mike Martz. Not once, but twice, Holmgren basically ran the clock out on himself.

One other decision Holmgren made should haunt him. After Mack Strong did a shameful job of not stretching out for a first down — on a tackle by a cornerback no less — the Seahawks faced 4th-and-inches at their own 26 with a 3-0 lead in the second quarter. The situation reminded me of when Bill Belichick went for it in a similar situation against the Colts in the playoffs three years ago, made it and sent a statement. Despite having an MVP tailback who was 16-for-16 on 3rd-and-1 this season, Holmgren went the safe route and punted. The Steelers scored and Seattle never led again.

Darrell Jackson, what might have been
After tying a Super Bowl record with five catches in the first quarter, Darrell Jackson was shut out. But, oh, what might have been. If not for a holding call, a marginal offensive pass interference penalty and a momentary lapse of knowing where he was on the field, Darrell Jackson could have had eight catches in the first half for 124 yards and two touchdowns.

As it turned out, his five catches for 50 yards will be easily forgotten.

Joey Porter vs. Jerramy Stevens
Joey Porter was pretty invisible. Jerramy Stevens wished he was. Despite scoring a touchdown, he had three huge drops, two of which were drive killers when the Seahawks were marching deep in Steelers territory. Porter may have had only three tackles and no sacks, but the "soft" label he hung on Stevens sure seemed to fit as the 6-foot-7 tight end short-armed several passes and seemed to be hearing footsteps all night.

Kevin Hench is supervising producer of The Sports List on Fox Sports Net.

More News | All RSS XML
NFL NEWS

FOXSports.com: Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Press | Feedback | Jobs | Tickets | News Corp. | controlyourtv.org | All RSS XML
FOX.com | FOX News | FX | Fox Soccer Channel | Fuel TV | Fox Reality - © 2006 Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

Golf Home
Leaderboard
Golf School
Tiger
Stats
Schedule
Courses
Handicap
PGA

February 7th, 2006 10:49 AM
gimmekeef Hey the officiating was bad...but the Steelers stepped up and made big plays when they had to.Jackson couldnt keep his feet in bounds for an easy touchdown late and Stevens couldnt hang onto the ball in critical situations and their kicker missed...Thats why Seattle lost...
February 7th, 2006 12:15 PM
time is on my side
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Hey the officiating was bad...but the Steelers stepped up and made big plays when they had to.Jackson couldnt keep his feet in bounds for an easy touchdown late and Stevens couldnt hang onto the ball in critical situations and their kicker missed...Thats why Seattle lost...

We can go around and around on this. This is my last statement on this thread. All the things you mentioned are correct. If Jackson keeps his feet in bounds, Stevens doesn't drop four passes, the field kicker doesn't miss two field goals, the Seahawks overcome bad one sided officiating & possibly win the game since they had many more opportunities to score than the Steelers.

To the Steelers credit, they basically had three chances to score and scored touchdowns on all three.

However, the fact remains that the bad officiating you mentioned did in fact affect the outcome of the game because it basically wiped out some points off the board when the Seahawks stepped up and made some big plays. Also, bad officiating should work both ways. Tell me some calls that went against the Steelers. Can't??? Now why is that???

Listen, I understand you're happy the Steelers won. Believe it or not I'm kind of happy they won too even though I do not like games where refs play too big a role. I believe if the officiating had been even (which in my view it was not)- you would have had a closer, more exciting game which the Steeler may or may not have won. My guess is they still would have found a way to win. We will never know because the game was not decided on the field of play. The refs played too big a role in the outcome.

Finally, if the officiating had gone one sided the other way & the Steelers would have lost, I believe many of the same Steeler fans talking about anything but the refs would be talking about nothing else. I can just hear Porter now. Sour grapes??? Not really. I'm actually glad they won. I just wish they would have won in a different way.

February 7th, 2006 12:41 PM
gimmekeef Me too...like 50-0.....You're right though..could debate it forever..and I always believe NFL officials are biased to home team...and that was a Steeler home game based on the crowd.
February 7th, 2006 01:03 PM
Throwaway Definitely true about the crowd. And of course, every game has its share of bad calls, its just too bad all of them were against the Seahawks and some of them took away points. But I'll take the NFL officiating over NCAA tournament refs giving Puke and Coach K every call!
February 7th, 2006 03:14 PM
Highwire Rob STEEEEEEEEEEELERS!!!!! BABY!!

Considering recent audio threats from Osama and video threats from Al-Zawahiri... throw in the uncanny timing of Spielberg's Munich film with "Black September"... Steeler Superbowl...

Was I the only one fearing something like...

It could have been the curse of Frankenheimer! Watch out for the damn blimp!!!!

I didn't want to bring it up as the Steelers advanced through the playoffs--morbid jinx! But I'm as relieved that everything went safely for the event as I am that the STEELERS ARE CHAMPIONS!

Memorable Quotes from Black Sunday (1977)

Robert Moshevsky: My mother once said "Anyone who has a nervous breakdown has got to have something wrong with them".
-----------------------------------------------------------
Joseph Robbie: Cancel the Super Bowl? That's like canceling Christmas!
Major David Kabakov: Don't be so rude to everybody.
Major David Kabakov: What is this thing you Americans call the Super Bowl?
FBI Agent Sam Corley: The President isn't persuaded that attending the Super Bowl will pose a threat to his life. I suppose it's the more important thing on his mind; he's slipping in the polls! Eighty-two thousand, five hundred twenty-eight, to be exact!
Captain Michael J. Lander: I wanted to give this whole son-of-a-bitchin' country something to remember me by!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)