ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Eddie Kramer
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: In 2004, what will the stones do? Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-18-04 10:45 AM
Bob Tamp Anyone have any idea what will go down this year. Do you think Mick and Keith will get down to writing and recording some fresh material for a new album. I loved the last tour, but I really feel that they need new material before hitting the road again or they will become the rehash that the WHO is by performing songs that are all over 30 years old. I really think the boys can still make a killer album if they want to. Let's hope for a real winner. Bridges is already 7 years old-Lets go
01-18-04 10:49 AM
Phog I don't think they'll be doing much this year. I hope they'll buckle-down and do some writing together. A new album would be wonderful, but I doubt it will come before '05. Here's hoping they prove me wrong.
01-18-04 10:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Phog wrote:
I don't think they'll be doing much this year.

Probably not. It takes a long time to count out 300,000,000 million dollars.
01-18-04 11:27 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i'm a bit more hopeful.....i say, writing, recording then late in '04 a tour.
01-18-04 11:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
i'm a bit more hopeful.....

Just joking. My guess is that the Stones know the next studio album HAS to be good. And it will be.
01-18-04 11:47 AM
Phog I hope that they think of the next record as being important. I'm sure they know it's important to the core Stonesfan, but in terms of putting asses in seats does it really matter? There's always lots of people that will go see the current tour without picking up the new offering. For us diehards, though, the next album is always important. If they can release another ass-kicker this late in their career it would completely bolster their legacy--not that it really needs bolstering in my opinion. I just want another great, great studio record.
01-18-04 12:01 PM
stonedatbirth666 Who the fuck knows????????????? Hopefully staying off SMACK! Spending time with there loved ones in a nice peaceful setting. No cell phones, giving thanks to the power above that has blessed them so. Peace.
01-18-04 01:27 PM
SHINE A LIGHT check rs.com......they TELL US what they're doing.
01-18-04 01:30 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
stonedatbirth666 wrote:
No cell phones, giving thanks to the power above that has blessed them so. Peace.

Bless the cell phones? ROTFL!!!
01-18-04 03:01 PM
TracyGene
quote:
Phog wrote:
I hope that they think of the next record as being important. I'm sure they know it's important to the core Stonesfan, but in terms of putting asses in seats does it really matter? There's always lots of people that will go see the current tour without picking up the new offering. For us diehards, though, the next album is always important. If they can release another ass-kicker this late in their career it would completely bolster their legacy--not that it really needs bolstering in my opinion. I just want another great, great studio record.

As the new records are comming out slower and slower lately,I think the Glimmer Twins know that it better be a good one.With as well as their Licks tour went and the way they appeared to get along for the most part,I'd like to think Mick and Keef could write together.Maybe even in the same room.It just seems that the material is better then when they both "bring stuff the table"and sift through it.
If they would come out with a classic or even a good album,I think just about everyone would expect a tour of some sorts.2004,2005?Who knows?We can only hope.
01-18-04 06:47 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Retire.
01-18-04 07:15 PM
Mr T I'm sure they'll work on a new album, I just hope we see it before next year

hopefully Keef will put out a new solo album. is it just me, or does he seem the least ambitious to do anything outside the Stones
01-18-04 07:17 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Mr T wrote:
I'm sure they'll work on a new album, I just hope we see it before next year

hopefully Keef will put out a new solo album. is it just me, or does he seem the least ambitious to do anything outside the Stones

Nope, just retire. Wanna bet?
01-18-04 07:27 PM
Mr T I wish I could make a safe bet on a new album
01-18-04 07:29 PM
stonedatbirth666 Retire as a band, wouldnt bet against it. Each Retire from ever playing again I bet ya as much as you want. Peace
01-18-04 07:35 PM
SHINE A LIGHT maybe we could let them have a break??
-60 years old, one more, one less
-toured for a long time
-had many delays (sars)
-went to toronto, from prague, the on to spain
-then redid the hong kong gigs

they've only been off the road since mid-nov.

they'll take their break,then get back into the groove.

ps. NO, keith is not at all disinterested!!!
and let's not forget....one death, one major illness in the entourage. that's a lot..
01-18-04 08:23 PM
Mr T I didn't say disinterested. hope I never see the day when I'm the one saying that. I'm just saying he doesn't really suggest any projects in the works, and he's the only one who's side projects I have any interest in. I'm sure he's still well involved with whatever the Stones are doing - he just seems to have nothing else going on.

look at it this way, according to the video on RS.com:
Mick's plans: film stuff & songwriting
Ronnie's plans: get back involved with Rod Stewart & trying to make him not suck (that's a big job)
Charlie's plans: get a jazz project CD of his released & form a group to do a couple shows with

Keith's plans: not leave the Caribbean until March
01-18-04 08:32 PM
SHINE A LIGHT
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Ok ok, I got your point the first time...

Maybe someone should explain the purpose of the 'delete post' button.

[Edited by Angiegirl]

so very sorry, i did not notice till later. my apologies.
01-18-04 08:33 PM
LadyJane My prediction...They take a break through the Winter. By Spring Mick and Keith begin to write for a new album.

Record new album in late Summer.

New Tour by the end of '04---early '05.

I think they really enjoyed the Licks Tour. They weren't at each other's throats at the end of it and they know better than to break down the "machine" for too long.

LJ.

01-18-04 08:36 PM
SHINE A LIGHT completely agree with LJ.
01-18-04 08:40 PM
Mr T keep in mind, when I hear the Stones are taking a break, I don't think they're gonna just have a couple months on vacation - I'm thinking serious time off. hopefully they don't take too much time before the album work begins
01-19-04 04:57 AM
gotdablouse Apparenlty Keith is building a new house on some tropical island, how's that for a rebel?

One thing I'd like them to do is just jam it out in a Paris studio like they did for Some Girls...on the other hand it didn't serve them too well for Dirty Work, there was a reason for that though, Mick wanting to be a star on his own, what a friggin' waste that was in hindsight...

The problem is that they don't live for the music like they used to do up until the late 70s...
01-19-04 08:37 AM
SHINE A LIGHT bill wyman has said....within this past year/tour......that he has a funny little feeling that the stones will NOT tour again. i was there when he said it to about 50 people, some journalists. now, he did add that he could be wrong. i have not posted this before now in the hopes/beliefs that he IS mistaken.

time will tell..........i'm still hopeful!!!
01-19-04 11:47 AM
Mr T as much as I liked Bill Wyman as a musician and a Stone, his judgement calls aren't worth much IMO
01-19-04 12:12 PM
SHINE A LIGHT
quote:
Mr T wrote:
as much as I liked Bill Wyman as a musician and a Stone, his judgement calls aren't worth much IMO

i don't think that is the reason i did not post it months ago! the real reason is simply that i am still hopeful and i'm of the impression that bill is wrong. that having been said, bill is still very much in touch with the stones and their entourage, so he is not completely out of touch. but, my hope remains
01-19-04 06:55 PM
corgi37 What have they got to prove? They should make new music for the sake of being creative, not looking to record/tour and score another $300,000,000. But then, have they done that since 89? Surely there is some stuff that could be released this year. Some old gems? Some hidden masterpieces? And another thing. When does their current record deal end? Because with so many established acts getting the boot from record companies, what's the chance the Stones could find themselves without a deal? Particularly if it takes 7-8 years between new releases? Yuk, what a thought.
01-19-04 07:04 PM
Gazza Their contract with Virgin was for three albums, although obviously the carrot that dangled most seductively in front of Richard Branson was the rights to re-issuing to their post-1970 back catalogue. No wonder he sold the company to EMI before the ink was dry on that contract. Getting the Stones was what swung that deal for him.

As they've put out two studio albums, two live albums and two compilations with Virgin/EMI, I presume that contract referred to three STUDIO albums, in which case they've one left.

I cant see the Stones being short of offers to sign a record contract. After all, even though theres lots of artists who sell more and they were in their late 50's when they signed it, the contract they signed with Virgin was at the time a record advance.

the only problem really,which youve touched upon would be that at this stage they would hardly be the sort of band who you could sign to a long-term contract. However, theyre at a stage when its their old stuff that sells as opposed to the new material. As long as record companies can find new ways of repackaging and reissuing old material I guess the band will never be short of offers.
01-19-04 11:06 PM
JaggaRichards a Winos Tour would make me happy!
01-20-04 01:44 PM
glencar They should release an odds & sods album. Something to tide me over.
01-20-04 01:49 PM
Joey

Drop Logs !

Speaking of which ...................................

****************** IMMEDIATE END TO TRANSMISSION *********************************
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH