ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1969 Beth Sunflower
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Melody Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th January 2007 05:53 PM
Some Guy Greatest Song Ever??

Melody, it was her second name

Came home one morning about quarter to three
I'm banging on my door cause I just lost my key
Open up, baby, you got someone else inside
I'm going to come get you dead or alive

I took her out dancing but she drank away my cash
She said, "I'm going to fix my face don't you worry I'll be back"
I'm looking for her high and low like a mustard for a ham
She was crashed out in the bathroom
In the arms of my best friend

Melody, it was her second name...

Then one day she left me
She took everything that moved
My car, she took my trailer home
She took my Sunday boots
My nose is on her trail
I'm going to catch her by surprise
Then I'm going to have the pleasure
To roast that child alive

Melody, it was her second name...
Lyrics > The Rolling Stones Lyrics > The Rolling Stones Melody Lyrics
17th January 2007 06:02 PM
Saint Sway a song so good it belongs on Rarities?
17th January 2007 06:02 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
a song so good it belongs on Rarities?

postin above the rim.
17th January 2007 06:04 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

postin above the rim.

I got a game tonite. Runnin & Gunnin. Air Sway.
17th January 2007 06:11 PM
Bloozehound Great no, but a good song to sing along too while driving home drunk at 4am
17th January 2007 06:14 PM
Soldatti Very underrated.
17th January 2007 06:14 PM
Gazza never cared for it, but it was a nice surprise the night I saw them do it at Shepherds Bush Empire in 1999.

Thats the only live version thats in circulation - they did it at the El Mocambo shows in 1977, but neither of the performances ever appeared on any bootlegs
17th January 2007 06:21 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thats the only live version thats in circulation - they did it at the El Mocambo shows in 1977, but neither of the performances ever appeared on any bootlegs

Gazza is our resident Stones idiot savant

God Bless him!

17th January 2007 07:40 PM
gotdablouse Liked it a lot at first, but pretty rambling and strangely overdubbed, rumoured to be a Billy Preston song, hence the "inspiration by Billy Preston" on re-issues (not original pressings apparently).
17th January 2007 07:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

God Bless him!

well..as they only did it 3 times, even a moron like me can count that far....

"twenty minutes to 'Jeopardy'....."
17th January 2007 07:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I uploaded this great live version by Bill Wyman

17th January 2007 10:41 PM
Zack Capote said of Kerouac (albeit unfairly, IMO) "It's not writing, it's typing."

Melody's not a song, it's singing.
17th January 2007 11:46 PM
glencar Really man! Second rate 70's stones is still higly entertaining but it ain't their best.
18th January 2007 12:08 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

God Bless him!

Savant, maybe. Idiot savant, no. (Though there's no shortage of just-plain-idiots around here.)

18th January 2007 04:43 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Greatest Song Ever??

No, but surely one of the top 200 Stones Songs!!
18th January 2007 05:08 AM
corgi37 Ahead of Winning Ugly, thats for fucking sure.
18th January 2007 10:01 AM
F505 One of the best dancable songs they ever recorded. Wonderful groove with a jazzy touch. Great song!
18th January 2007 10:15 AM
TampabayStone I flat out love this song, but I also feel that B&B is a very underrated album.
18th January 2007 12:36 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
I flat out love this song, but I also feel that B&B is a very underrated album.

Agree. Black and Blue is a classic and Melody a great song. Love the Preston/Jagger duet.
18th January 2007 12:41 PM
Saint Sway Lethargy, Lethargy, it was his second name
Lethargy, Lethargy, it was his second name
18th January 2007 12:55 PM
Some Guy Black and Blue smokes!
18th January 2007 02:45 PM
Navin
Alright, this confirms it, I am NOT a "Stones Fan" at all...I am just another idiot jerk living in desolation row in a depressed nation...
I always knew that I am not a fan of "Music" in general...even far from being a fan of that beloved and magical "Rock and Roll" with whatever it means to most anyone and everyone...and now, I know this...I am not a fan of The Stones....It pains me to say this, but I seem to dig this band for reasons that do confirm or match with what a "Stones Fan" mostly considers universally acceptable and highly transgressive classic ground rules (Just one example : I don't like the 68-72 period all that much and hardly ever listen to them "4 classic records")...and therefore now, I feel obliged to excommunicate myself from the "Church of Stones Fandom"

Alright, and now be prepared to hate me as much as I hate myself....but "Melody" is one of the Stones songs that for me comes close to being unbearable...I just can't stand the slow, long, ballad, type stuff that are supposed to be 'fan favorites'...I am bored to tears by stuff like "Melody" "Fool to Cry" "Cherry Oh Baby" - and that's just from that one album....many more like I mentioned before, "Moonlight Mile" "Just my Imagination" "Ruby Tuesday" "Out of Tears" "Shine a Light" "Wild Horses" "As tears go By"...and yes, even "Angie"

And coming to the live versions....Here is something shocking for you : I get bored by "Miss You" and "Midnight Rambler" too...they are too damn long to hold any kind of interest to me - But according to me the worst "live moment" would probably be "You can't always get what you Want" - Now, I believe in being real and realistic - and I always admired the gritty realism of the Stones and the bad attitudes that they offered as hope for possible rock and roll catharsis - Most of all, I don't want to hear words of consolation from the Stones set to elegant strings and horns playing in the background - and encouraging mass sing-alongs...No way, I want to be propelled into space like a rocket and blow up until tomorrow...I get up to do it all over again...and again....

18th January 2007 02:50 PM
glencar So...what do you like?
18th January 2007 02:54 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
So...what do you like?

I think he said he likes the 3 cord, 3 minute rockers.
18th January 2007 02:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I think he said he likes the 3 cord, 3 minute rockers.

Where The Boys Go!!

word to Joey's mama
18th January 2007 02:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man Navin, calm down. A Stones fan is a Stones fan. What era you like or songs you like are completely up to you!

Melody is crap as is Black & Blue. There are some good moments on the album, but it’s from an era when the Stones were not very cool in my opinion.
18th January 2007 02:59 PM
Saint Sway I like Navin's post.

I'm pretty sure he signed the Dance Little Sister petition
18th January 2007 03:30 PM
Some Guy alcohol may have been a contributing factor in this thread.
18th January 2007 03:32 PM
Navin
Ok, for anyone who may actually be concerned by this trivial note of mine, thanks for the concern in the first place and yes, right now, I am, as always, very cool, calm, and collected.

Now I got lots of time, loads of time, with nothing to do and nowhere to go...and it's maybe sometimes I just like to write (but have never done so for gain or profit)

Hell, anything is better than suicide!! (someone said that last year, I think)...and therefore, anything is better than writing a suicide note or poison pen letter or even making a letterbomb.
18th January 2007 03:33 PM
Saint Sway its good to be here.... its good to be anywhere
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)