ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Obama Threatens Rock Stars Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
2nd January 2007 03:28 PM
Some Guy By Andy Borowitz
Special to Newsweek
Updated: 2 hours, 34 minutes ago

Jan. 2, 2007 - Potential 2008 presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama is posing a serious threat to the nation's rock stars as millions of Americans abandon their favorite recording idols to worship the junior senator from Illinois instead, a representative of the nation's rock stars said today.

Carol Foyler, director of the National Association of American Rock Stars, said that Sen. Obama is "consistently outdrawing" rock acts such as Aerosmith and Metallica, putting the future of America's rock stars in jeopardy.

"If there are empty seats at our shows, they can be explained in two words: Barack Obama," Foyler said. "Sen. Obama is the greatest single threat to rock 'n' roll since Napster."

Just last week, the Illinois senator drew a standing-room-only crowd at New York's Shea Stadium as part of his sold-out "Obamapalooza" tour.

"My name is Barack Obama," he told the 80,000-plus crowd, who screamed with delight and held lighters in the air, begging for an encore.

"I used to follow R.E.M., but now I'm into Barack," said Tracey Klujian, 34, one of the thousands of new Obama fans in attendance. "This dude is audacious."

While Obama's eight-minute performance was shorter than some of his fans would have liked, he did unveil a possible slogan for a 2008 candidacy: "Vote for Barack Obama."

The slogan got a huge reaction from his fans, including Klujian.

"I loved the slogan," Klujian said. "It's audacious."

2nd January 2007 03:31 PM
Gazza Phew - I thought it was a typo for 'Osama' and I was going to read that he'd put a 'fatwa' on the Stones or something....

2nd January 2007 03:34 PM
Some Guy Gazza aren't you in Ireland? I saw an intresting show last night on the travel channel.
2nd January 2007 04:13 PM
mojoman drawing metallica fans? funny!!!
2nd January 2007 04:15 PM
GotToRollMe Now this explains a lot! Someone alert JB, pronto!
2nd January 2007 05:14 PM
texile
i like obama so far...
but i'm waiting for him to really show his political colors - he's been pretty safe and evasive.
maybe he's the real thing.
at least i can hope.
2nd January 2007 06:15 PM
Brainbell Jangler I went to law school with him. My impression is that he's the real deal.
2nd January 2007 06:41 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
I went to law school with him. My impression is that he's the real deal.

What are his ideas? And what plans does he have to implement them? People used to say Wink Martindale was the "real deal"...we see how that turned out

2nd January 2007 07:09 PM
Brainbell Jangler Wink Martindale? I was thing of Evander "Lend me your ear" Holyfield.

I don't know much about Barack's agenda or position on issues. I do see him as a man of intelligence and integrity who would surround himself with competent advisers and make reasonable decisions. That would be a refreshing change.
2nd January 2007 07:14 PM
Some Guy http://obamastuff.com/?gclid=CLzDyqn7wokCFUgOOAod52ZCOQ
2nd January 2007 07:32 PM
pdog I'm relieved, it's not a Tipper Gore PRMC thing!
2nd January 2007 08:42 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm relieved, it's not a Tipper Gore PRMC thing!

from mothers of prevention....

Thing-Fish:
We'll get back to de wimp and his low-budget conceptium of personal freedom in just a moment. But foist, welcome to: WHAT DE FUCK GWINE ON HERE? (A celebratium o' de American way o' life!) I see some o' y'all be FROWNIN' . . . 'cause mebbe y'think what I's tellin' ya' is a LIE! Am I right? Les' jes' have a test . . . How many o' you nice folks think I knows what I's talkin' 'bout? RAISE Y'HAIN UP! Uh-huh! An' how many thinks my potato been bakin' too long? RAISE YO MIZZABLE HAIN UP! Uh-huh! Now . . . how many you folks is CONVINCED de gubnint be totally 'UNCONCERNED' wit de proliferatium o' UNDESIRABLE TENANTS in de CONDOMINIUM o' LIFE? An' how many folks believe THEY number won't come up, next time de breeze blow fum de Easterly directium? Les' face it, peoples! Ugly as I mights be, I AM YO' FUTCHUM! Ain't that right, SISTER OB'DEWLLA? Hmm hmm! Oh, oh yeah! Thass right!
2nd January 2007 09:13 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves can Obama sing 'SOL'?
2nd January 2007 10:02 PM
texile
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
I went to law school with him. My impression is that he's the real deal.

currently, he's the only hope i see for this generation of democrats. he doesn't have the smarminess of the clinton generation.
if he runs, lets hope the media doesn't destroy him.
2nd January 2007 11:44 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

What are his ideas? And what plans does he have to implement them? People used to say Wink Martindale was the "real deal"...we see how that turned out

That's the last thing we need is another loser that doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground and knew less about government, economics, the world etc. than any of us knew back in the day before he decided to seek the nomination in the late nineties.

Rick
3rd January 2007 06:41 AM
corgi37 There is an "Association of American rock stars"?????

Are you fucking shitting me?

3rd January 2007 07:29 AM
glencar It's a put-on, matey.

As for Obama, he sucks. I find him as smarmy as the smarmiest Clinton. And the Clintons' media acolytes will tear this guy a new one if he actually runs.
3rd January 2007 09:10 AM
gimmekeef Law school?....geeeshhhhhhh just when I was about to give the guy a chance....we need another lawyer politician like we need an extended 12" mix of SOL.....
3rd January 2007 09:18 AM
rasputin56
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's a put-on, matey.

As for Obama, he sucks. I find him as smarmy as the smarmiest Clinton. And the Clintons' media acolytes will tear this guy a new one if he actually runs.

Dammit. There is nothing in that statement I disagree with.
3rd January 2007 10:10 AM
nanatod
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
My impression is that he's the real deal.

Richie Daley has already announced that he is supporting Obama for president in 2008, and Richie Daley's motto, as author Milton Rakoff used to say, is "don't make no waves; don't back no losers."
3rd January 2007 08:37 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
texile wrote:

currently, he's the only hope i see for this generation of democrats. he doesn't have the smarminess of the clinton generation.
if he runs, lets hope the media doesn't destroy him.

The media actually created him in the first place.

If he is the only hope for the Dems, they have no hope. A black man will NEVER be elected president of the U.S. during the lifetime of anyone on this board.
3rd January 2007 08:57 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

If he is the only hope for the Dems, they have no hope. A black man will NEVER be elected president of the U.S. during the lifetime of anyone on this board.

reading this thread i was genuinely surprised by the general tone of the posts that suggested the idea that a black man could be elected president was one to be taken seriously

not to say a black man couldn't do the job but from my perspective - condoleeza rice and colin powell aside - the notion hasn't made a lot of ground since jesse jackson had his day in the sun

but whatever his merits may be and forgetting the colour of his skin it is hard not to notice that his name Obama itself, given the events of the last decade, would create an historical coincidence almost too bizarre to deal with

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
3rd January 2007 10:45 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Obama's better than Hillary
3rd January 2007 11:44 PM
glencar Barely better. And with someone like John McCain running, who needs those 2 shits?

As for SIA, a black man/woman could win the Presidency & sooner than you think. They would have to be somewhat conservative & beyond reproach.
4th January 2007 05:36 AM
Jumping Jack Obama admits to being a cokehead 20 years ago but claims he never inhaled, LOL. Are all you lefties who denounced W's partying ways ready to denounce Obama as well, or is this another case of selective outrage?
4th January 2007 07:30 AM
rasputin56 Dubya did coke? When? Did he admit to anything yet? Or was this supposed to be just understood in his "admissions' of "youthful indiscretions" that took place well into his 40's?

4th January 2007 09:21 AM
glencar Actually the day after his 40th birthday is when he swore off alcohol. So none of his youthful indiscretions would have been "well into his 40's." It would be nice if you could just answer JJ's question though.
4th January 2007 09:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Actually the day after his 40th birthday is when he swore off alcohol.

4th January 2007 09:37 AM
rasputin56 Funny. People still buy that "choked on a pretzel" bit?

What would you liked answered? The typical right-wing whiney "double-standard" thing and the upcoming blame the librul media (don't worry, it's just a matter of time before the media that built Obama up, tears him down)? Sure. Obama (who as I stated before, I'm not a fan of) admitted to using illegal drugs. Dubya hasn't. Dubya to this day has the reputation of being the fun-time frat boy, nearest I can tell Obama doesn't. But I'm sure Dubya's well earned rep has nothing to do with it.

I'm curious though, what would be the cutoff age for "youthful"? I'd say at the very latest 30 but maybe not.
[Edited by rasputin56]
4th January 2007 09:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Obama will just have to get out of the way of the coming Biden steamroller.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)