ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen Voted Greatest Band Of All Time Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd January 2007 08:40 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Queen Voted Greatest Band Of All Time
In a BBC poll held yesterday...

by Scott Colothan on 02/01/2007
gigwise.com

Queen have been voted the greatest band of all time in a poll of Radio 2 listeners.

Over 20,000 people gave in the name of their favourite band, with Queen eventually beating The Beatles to the crown by just 400 votes.

The rest of the top five was made up of The Rolling Stones at three, then Oasis in fourth, while Take That notched up the fifth place.

Amongst those who voted for Queen was pop band McFly who told show host Mark Goodier that Freddie Mercury and co. were an inspiration to them.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd January 2007 08:45 AM
Gazza amazed the Stones even finished as high as 3rd above Oasis. I would have thought having two "60's" bands would have split the vote.

Having a frontman who dies young always helps.

This was from the poll which was discussed here last week :

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/233825-1.html
2nd January 2007 09:53 AM
gimmekeef Gee...another new year..another stupid poll...If you"ve ever been forced to listen to Radio Gaga or whatever its called by Queen and still vote for em..you dont know rock.
2nd January 2007 10:22 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
amazed the Stones even finished as high as 3rd above Oasis.

Well it shows that common sense isn't completely dead in Britain.
2nd January 2007 10:43 AM
Doxa You English people, you never stop amazing me! Two BIG surprises.

(1) The Beatles did not win!
(2) The Stones beated up Oasis!

Good work.

- Doxa
2nd January 2007 11:10 AM
marko Queen is for wankers!
2nd January 2007 11:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well it shows that common sense isn't completely dead in Britain.

Indeed. That problem is only confined to Westminster
2nd January 2007 12:25 PM
Taptrick
That poll is as significant as my post.

2nd January 2007 12:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
That poll is as significant as my post.

Not quite. That's just another meaningless poll. You happen to be a regular poster at RO. Therefore your post is of much more value.
2nd January 2007 12:54 PM
Taptrick
Well thanks. I get your point - I guess I meant that most people in the world will pay about as much attention to the poll as they will to my post. But I think you have a good point in that although many of us out here have some very conflicting opinions - we do all seem to share an appreciation and taste of music that is clearly above the rest while much of the world thinks quality is a drum machine and somebody shouting urban nursery rhymes about as well as they do at my local karaoke bar.

2nd January 2007 01:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Queen. I only got one thing to say about that....Pffffffffftttttttttt.
2nd January 2007 01:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Queen. I only got one thing to say about that....Pffffffffftttttttttt.

Over the years there have been a alot better bands out there than Queen. No doubt. But Brits love their Queen.
2nd January 2007 03:06 PM
FotiniD I've expressed my opinion about polls in the past - I find them totally useless lists, with a sole aim to cover space between advertisements in magazines and maybe earn the publishers a few bucks with their "Vote your favorite!" section.

However, Queen, man! Queen were so much MORE than Radio Ga Ga or all their 80's "hits". Please excuse all the talk that comes next, but Queen were my very, very first love in music and I've "studied" them enough to write a thesis

In fact, in my book, there were three, totally separate and distinct Queen bands:

1. The Classic Queen. With stuff like "Queen" and "Queen II". The real mccoy, or however that's spelled Dark, beautiful melodies, poetic lyrics, a unique, dreamy guitar sound that made all other guitars sound the same. Some of the greatest vocals of all time, four REALLY gifted people who loved what they were doing. A real class act, a band that couldn't be classified in any narrow genre, be it classic rock or prog rock or whatever. They really rocked man. They were it. They were good.

2. The Hit-Machine Queen. The band that started experimenting with all different sounds during the eighties, passing from pop to disco to funk to radio friendly rock, only to try and return to their Classic form in the very early nineties, just before Freddie Mercury died. This is the period that produced stuff like "Radio Ga Ga" and this is the period most people who vote for Queen as their "favorite" act know - also the one most people have in their mind when they're saying Queen were a pile of shit. This is not the real Queen, the way I see it. Just a series of experiments. A prolonged Dirty Work period, if you don't mind the comparison.

3. The New Queen. The Paul Rodgers era + May + Taylor minus Deacon. I don't know what possessed them to get back on the road - be it real, pure love for the music or greed, and I do like to believe it's the first - but I still think they should have changed their name. The tag "Queen" can no longer stand without Mercury, and when they actually leave Deacon out of this as well...

Being a Queen fan during all my adolescense and then a Stones fan, I can understand why the latter would reject the former. Queen were a lot more into "operatics", funny stage antics, flamboyancy and image, a lot more than the Stones were. The Stones were always raunchier, more rock 'n' roll, more defined and true to their roots, but hey, these are two very different bands. And I don't see why one can like the one and not the other at the same time. I still enjoy both.

So before any of you condemn them, I suggest you take some time to play "Queen" and "Queen II" or even "A night at the opera". You might be in for a real surprise.

Thank you (clap sound), lol
2nd January 2007 03:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm not much of a Queen fan, but they made some enjoyable records. Don't Stop Me Now has always been a favourite. Freddy Mercury was a great frontman as wel. He had a great voice and persona.
2nd January 2007 03:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Over the years there have been a alot better bands out there than Queen. No doubt. But Brits love their Queen.

Visibility helps. Between 1976 and 1990 (which is roughly the same period that Queen were at their commercial peak), the Stones only toured the UK once....5 stadium shows and a couple of theatre gigs in 1982.

A generation of music fans didnt exactly get much chance to see them

Queen, on the other hand, seemed to be everywhere during that period. Regularly making records, touring, appearing on TV. You could hardly avoid them.

[Edited by Gazza]
2nd January 2007 04:17 PM
mojoman queen? they are talented and they do rock but the best band ever? mott the hoople was better...
2nd January 2007 04:35 PM
nanatod
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
1. The Classic Queen. With stuff like "Queen" and "Queen II". The real mccoy, or however that's spelled Dark, beautiful melodies, poetic lyrics, a unique, dreamy guitar sound that made all other guitars sound the same. Some of the greatest vocals of all time, four REALLY gifted people who loved what they were doing. A real class act, a band that couldn't be classified in any narrow genre, be it classic rock or prog rock or whatever. They really rocked man. They were it. They were good.

I used to own a history of heavy metal written by an amateur rock critic from Toronto. His favorite album of all time was Queens' lst album, and he went on in detail about the guitar textures, etc. that made it his favorite album. I bought the LP on his recommendation, and it is fine, but I wouldn't call it the greatest of all time. Maybe because no one had really mixed art rock with heavy metal before; that's why it has such a resonance with some of the metalhead community.
2nd January 2007 04:44 PM
nanatod The book was "The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal," by Martin Popoff, which was published in 1997. His website says that the book is now out of print, although he has apparently continued writing books about metal.
2nd January 2007 05:28 PM
Soldatti Queen's last album with Mercury was terrific, The Show Must Go On is one of the best 5 songs of the 90's.
3rd January 2007 05:14 AM
F505 If there is one band I truly hate it is Queen. Bombastic shit. One of the most talentless bands the UK has ever produced. Mercury is one of the most irritating frontmen in history of rock. There is only one thing I appreciate: they have named two albums after Marx Brothers movies. That 's their only merit.
3rd January 2007 05:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
F505 wrote:
If there is one band I truly hate it is Queen. Bombastic shit. One of the most talentless bands the UK has ever produced.

Disliking them, even hating them, is one thing - I totally respect it! But "talentless"? Come on F505, you have to admit they had talent, even if you hated the result.
3rd January 2007 06:48 AM
corgi37 No wonder the Poms lost the Ashes and the Empire!
3rd January 2007 07:39 AM
dirtyden goood result for the stones but not as good as ballymena's result last nite !!!! fuck the glens !
3rd January 2007 07:45 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
dirtyden wrote:
goood result for the stones but not as good as ballymena's result last nite !!!! fuck the glens !

Yep, Denis.....Good, good, news!!! Fuck the Glens!!!

Oh and to stay on topic.....I really don't care for Queen either....

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
3rd January 2007 07:48 AM
glencar I'm sorry but this thread is gayer than Ferdie Mercury.
3rd January 2007 07:48 AM
glencar
quote:
dirtyden wrote:
goood result for the stones but not as good as ballymena's result last nite !!!! fuck the glens !

To what does this refer?
3rd January 2007 10:51 AM
dirtyden Sorry glencar...... it refers to the ROCKS OFF LINFIELD FC APPRECIATION SOCIETY......we have only 3 members GAZZA,PARTY DOLL MEG AND MYSELF--------LINFIELD FC are a wee gay football club from norn ireland and freddie mercury was a big fan.....thus keeping with the queen topic !!!!!
3rd January 2007 10:53 AM
The Wick Judging by polls in England, I'm shocked that the Stones ended up 3rd and weren't beaten by Status Quo and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
3rd January 2007 11:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
dirtyden wrote:
freddie mercury was a big fan.....

LOL
3rd January 2007 11:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Judging by polls in England, I'm shocked that the Stones ended up 3rd and weren't beaten by Status Quo and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

they may have been had the BBC nominated them!

Not to mention Led Zeppelin of course.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)