ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best of 2006 Return to archive Page: 1 2
31st December 2006 12:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just finalized my "Best of 2006" list this morning. A lotta good stuff didn't make the cut. 2006 was a good rockin' year...regardless of what some people may say. So here is my best of list. I have no problem recommending these albums to anyone who enjoys actual Rock n Roll music. You can find most all of them for cheap on the Amazon Marketplace...except for the box sets of course. If you don't have these albums, and are looking for something new to give your ear to...try a few of these.

Best of 2006

1. The Raconteurs-“Broken Boy Soldiers”
2. Bob Dylan-“Modern Times”
3. Johnny Cash-“American V: A Hundred Highways”
4. Deadstring Brothers-“Starving Winter Report”
5. Radio Birdman-“Zeno Beach”
6. Drive By Truckers-“A Blessing And A Curse”
7. Baby Woodrose-“Love Comes Down”
8. New York Dolls-“One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This”
9. Neil Young-“Living With War”
10. Bobby Bare Jr-“The Longest Meow”

The Next 10

11. The Soledad Brothers-“The Hardest Walk”
12. Buzzcocks-“Flat-Pack Philosophy”
13. Primal Scream-“Riot City Blues”
14. The Black Keys-“Magic Potion”
15. King Kahn & The BBQ Show-“What’s For Dinner”
16. The Riverboat Gamblers-“To The Confusion of Our Enemies”
17. The Blue Van-“Dear Independence”
18. The Duke Spirit-“Cuts Across the Land”
19. The Hellacopters-“Rock n Roll is Dead”
20. The Bell Rays-“Have a Little Faith”

Best Box Set

1. Tom Waits-“Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards”
2. Various Artists-“Rockin’ Bones: 1950's Punk and Rockabilly”

Best EP

1. The Supersuckers-“Paid”
2. The Adored-“The Adored”

Best Tour

1. Little Steven’s Underground Garage A-Go-Go-New York Dolls/The Supersuckers/The Chesterfield Kings/The Charms
2. Bob Dylan with The Raconteurs
3. The Pogues with Towers of London
4. Radio Birdman with Easy Action
5. Buzzcocks with The Adored
31st December 2006 02:00 PM
ComeAsYouAre Thanks for turning me on to this particular song. I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5D5_ngZMk&mode=related&search=
31st December 2006 02:34 PM
glencar Nothing new in that song...
31st December 2006 02:40 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nothing new in that song...

There is for me. Fuck you and have a "Happy" New Year.
31st December 2006 02:46 PM
glencar Well, that's nice. Fuck yourself & then disappear.
31st December 2006 03:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nothing new...yeah no shit.

That's why it's good.

Just exactly why does something have to cover new ground to be good? What is wrong with tried and true?

Rock n Roll...like the Blues and R&B before it...is a fairly limited medium. Do you really think that after 50 years anything is really "new"? If so, then you are deluding yourself.

If a band decides that they are gonna do a song that sorta sounds like something else...then I'm happy when they pick something to emulate that was good the first or fourth times around.
31st December 2006 03:11 PM
ShaneJazz The albums by Muse and Kasabian were my two favorites of the year.
31st December 2006 03:12 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, that's nice.

I thought so.
31st December 2006 03:14 PM
lotsajizz typical
31st December 2006 03:15 PM
nankerphelge Wishing all of my RO buds a happy 2007!

And now, this:

Science told: hands off gay sheep
Isabel Oakeshott and Chris Gourlay

Experiments that claim to ‘cure’ homosexual rams spark anger

SCIENTISTS are conducting experiments to change the sexuality of “gay” sheep in a programme that critics fear could pave the way for breeding out homosexuality in humans.
The technique being developed by American researchers adjusts the hormonal balance in the brains of homosexual rams so that they are more inclined to mate with ewes.

It raises the prospect that pregnant women could one day be offered a treatment to reduce or eliminate the chance that their offspring will be homosexual. Experts say that, in theory, the “straightening” procedure on humans could be as simple as a hormone supplement for mothers-to-be, worn on the skin like an anti-smoking nicotine patch.

The research, at Oregon State University in the city of Corvallis and at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, has caused an outcry. Martina Navratilova, the lesbian tennis player who won Wimbledon nine times, and scientists and gay rights campaigners in Britain have called for the project to be abandoned.

Navratilova defended the “right” of sheep to be gay. She said: “How can it be that in the year 2006 a major university would host such homophobic and cruel experiments?” She said gay men and lesbians would be “deeply offended” by the social implications of the tests.

But the researchers argue that the work is valid, shedding light on the “broad question” of what determines sexual orientation. They insist the work is not aimed at “curing” homosexuality.

Approximately one ram in 10 prefers to mount other rams rather than mate with ewes, reducing its value to a farmer. Initially, the publicly funded project aimed to improve the productivity of herds.

The scientists have been able to pinpoint the mechanisms influencing the desires of “male-oriented” rams by studying their brains. The animals’ skulls are cut open and electronic sensors are attached to their brains.

By varying the hormone levels, mainly by injecting hormones into the brain, they have had “considerable success” in altering the rams’ sexuality, with some previously gay animals becoming attracted to ewes.

Professor Charles Roselli, the Health and Science University biologist leading the research, defended the project.

He said: “In general, sexuality has been under-studied because of political concerns. People don’t want science looking into what determines sexuality.

“It’s a touchy issue. In fact, several studies have shown that people who believe homosexuality is biologically based are less homophobic than people who think that this orientation is acquired.”

The research is being peer-reviewed by a panel of scientists in America, demonstrating that it is being taken seriously by the academic community.

Potentially, the techniques could one day be adapted for human use, with doctors perhaps being able to offer parents pre-natal tests to determine the likely sexuality of offspring or a hormonal treatment to change the orientation of a child.

31st December 2006 03:15 PM
glencar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Nothing new...yeah no shit.

That's why it's good.

Just exactly why does something have to cover new ground to be good? What is wrong with tried and true?

Rock n Roll...like the Blues and R&B before it...is a fairly limited medium. Do you really think that after 50 years anything is really "new"? If so, then you are deluding yourself.

If a band decides that they are gonna do a song that sorta sounds like something else...then I'm happy when they pick something to emulate that was good the first or fourth times around.

I don't mind that they emulate the stuff that's all happened before but I was expecting something big from Goofy's pronouncement of howe good it was. And it's okay but it didn't set off fireworks. Rock & roll is apparently somewhat limited but the last 15 years have been especially stagnant.
31st December 2006 03:19 PM
dirtyden i think glencar was referring to the song-Paid by the supersuckers and not the complete list
31st December 2006 03:20 PM
glencar Yes, I was. Thanks.
31st December 2006 03:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Happy New Year nanky.

May all your buds be sticky and stinky in 2007...and of course...hope you get yer knob gobbled.
31st December 2006 03:37 PM
dirtyden Give these albums a listen-
1-The Hold Steady--Boys and Girls in America
2- Joanna Newsom--ys
3- TV on the Radio--Return to Cookie Mountain
4-Phoenix--It's Never Been Like That
5-Cat Power--The Greatest
7-Savane-- Ali Farka Tour
8-The Town And The City --Los Lobos
9-Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not -- Arctic Monkeys
10-Jarvis-- Jarvis Cocker

[Edited by dirtyden]
[Edited by dirtyden]
31st December 2006 04:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot >i think glencar was referring to the song-Paid by the supersuckers and not the complete list<

Yeah, I knew that.
1st January 2007 04:32 PM
Factory Girl Happy New Year to all!

Hey, glenny-did you like Libertines/Babyshambles?
1st January 2007 04:40 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Best Box Set

1. Tom Waits-“Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards”

Hear, hear! Got this the other day as a late xmas gift and it hasn't left the CD player since.
1st January 2007 04:42 PM
mojoman is it so wrong to be stuck in the past?
1st January 2007 05:48 PM
mrhipfl good list, but I will never understand why people praise the raconteurs so much. Jack White is as overrated as it gets. I find the album bland and the guitar tone thin.
1st January 2007 07:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot >is it so wrong to be stuck in the past?<

Not if that is where you find the music that moves you the most. And if music being made today harkens back to that which you like...well I see nothing wrong with that either.

As far as the Racs go...to each his own. I think Jack is a superb guitar player, and "Broken Boy Soldier" is a wonderful album...your mileage may vary.
1st January 2007 10:03 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>is it so wrong to be stuck in the past?<

Not if that is where you find the music that moves you the most. And if music being made today harkens back to that which you like...well I see nothing wrong with that either.

As far as the Racs go...to each his own. I think Jack is a superb guitar player, and "Broken Boy Soldier" is a wonderful album...your mileage may vary.

Broken Boy Soldier is definately a good one. When I found out these guys were just playing around and had no intention of creating a band, then literally wrote and recorded in a very very short period, I was that much more impressed.
I can't wait to hear what they'll write and record this year under normal circumstances
Other than Jack using a bit too much distortion for my taste, they were quite impressive live.

Rick

1st January 2007 10:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot >using a bit too much distortion<

That phrase is not in my vocabulary. LOL!
1st January 2007 10:38 PM
pdog
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:

Broken Boy Soldier is definately a good one. When I found out these guys were just playing around and had no intention of creating a band, then literally wrote and recorded in a very very short period, I was that much more impressed.
I can't wait to hear what they'll write and record this year under normal circumstances
Other than Jack using a bit too much distortion for my taste, they were quite impressive live.

Rick

and it's just the tip of the iceberg, of what is going on in rock and roll today...
2nd January 2007 01:33 AM
sammy davis jr. I like Jack White alot as a musician, but I just didn't get into the Raconteurs record much. Go figure.
2nd January 2007 03:16 PM
wisertime My 2 favorite '06 releases :

CAT POWER "The Greatest"
TOM WAITS "Orphans"

2nd January 2007 03:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot I gotta say that I was tempted to put the Brawlers disc as my #1. But I didn't think it would be right to do that...so I gave Orphans it's own catagory to be #1 in.

I love it from beginning to end. It's fantastic. I'd rate it right up there with Rain Dogs and Mule Variations as essential Tom.
2nd January 2007 07:14 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
mojoman wrote:
is it so wrong to be stuck in the past?

I live in the past. The rent is cheaper.
2nd January 2007 07:38 PM
pdog
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

I live in the past. The rent is cheaper.

I'm all about the future and time traveling, I just can't breach the one second forward mark!
2nd January 2007 07:45 PM
Some Guy pdog was big in 06.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)