ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Poll - Most Overrated, Underrated Rock Band Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-26-03 12:01 PM
Factory Girl I add:

Over-The Who
Under-Johnny Winter!!
12-26-03 03:10 PM
JaggaRichards Just curious-who's The Biff Hitler Trio???
12-27-03 01:35 AM
beer to say Nirvana is overrated is ridiculous. even if you don't like their music, that band pretty much single handedly changed rock music for the better. they put an end to the cheezy 80's cock rock bullshit and put the emphasis back to guitar driven rocknroll, and inspired a grip of kids to start playing music. their impact was monumental and i miss them.
12-27-03 11:45 AM
glencar Of course! good post.
12-29-03 05:47 AM
remus I add the following:
over: Nirvana, Supertramp
under: Alpha Blondy
12-29-03 08:44 AM
Taptrick under: Stones, Pavlov's Dog, Robin Trower
over: Aerosmith (even though I like the old stuff)
12-29-03 08:58 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies Most underrated: Mick Jagger's solo CDs especially the early ones.

Most overrated: Keith Richards' solo CDs especially the first one.
12-29-03 10:59 AM
jb Overrated-Beatles, Zeppelin, U2, Macca solo, Dylan, Sting, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Aerosmith, Dave Mathews, Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, The Police, Van Morrison
Underrated-Stones, Who, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bad Company, Leslie West and Mountain, Alice Cooper, Pia Zadora
12-29-03 11:04 AM
glencar Van Morrison is overrated? LOL
12-29-03 11:07 AM
jb You like him...he is a very nasty SOB who has 2 goods songs IMO...Brown Eyed Girl and Have I told you lately that I love you(as song by Rod Stewart)...I don't care for that other one about 'Moonlight"?
12-29-03 11:13 AM
glencar What about "Cleaning Windows"? He has many good songs. Yes, he's an ass as I've heard from many Irishmen. But he can still write & sing. I saw him in concert a few years back & he does seem to...coast. But isn't the Who doing that 2 decades running now?
12-29-03 11:14 AM
glencar BTW Josh, I agreed with twice on the other board. It's good we have this one area of disagreement left.
12-29-03 11:18 AM
jb WE agree on the Beatles....The Who was really very innovative and we tend to overlook their greatness b/c of their numerous "final tours"..Nonetheless, they kicked the Stones asses both times on "Rock-n-Roll Circus" and the 9/11 concert.
12-29-03 11:21 AM
glencar The Circus? Maybe but I really liked the Stones in that too. They did shit in the 9-11 concert. Daltrey's voice was poor. He really should hang it up post-haste!
12-30-03 05:27 PM
Joey " Nonetheless, they kicked the Stones asses both times on "Rock-n-Roll Circus" and the 9/11 concert "

Josh , I would like to clutch you to my bosom and softly and gently stroke your young , sweaty , gorgeous , moist , shiny Joshy forehead and just say , .....Well , ........." Thanks !!!! " for being so damn smart .

You are much loved by the Joey

" Stones Rule you Bastards ! "

Jacko !

12-31-03 02:20 AM
Prodigal Son Van ain't overrated. The man is a master of R&B/soul and maybe some rock and jazz thrown in. He is simply brilliant and it's no wonder, jb, that those are the only songs of his you like. They're his only two big hits. His lesser hits are better. And these songs are all rock classics of the era:
"Gloria," "Baby Please Don't Go," "Baby Please Don't Go," "Mystic Eyes," "Here Comes the Night" (all with Them, a very Stonesy bad ass mid-60s group he had) as well as "He Ain't Givin' You None," "Astral Weeks," "Sweet Thing," "The Way Young Lovers Do," "And it Stoned Me," "Moondance," "Crazy Love," "Caravan," "Come Running," "Brand New Day," "Domino," "Blue Money," "If I Ever Needed Someone," "Wild Night," "Tupelo Honey," "Old Old Woodstock," "Jackie Wilson Said," "Gypsy," "I Will Be There," "St. Dominic's Preview," "Listen to the Lion" (breathtakingly good, kind of like the hushed ending of "Moonlight Mile"), "Warm Love," "You Don't Pull No Punches But You Don't Push the River," "Kingdom Hall," "Hungry for Your Love," "Full Force Gale," "Angeliou," "Bright Side of the Road," "It's All in the Game" and many more in the 80s ad 90s that were awesome. Check this shit out, it's great if you love soul music and folk-jazz stuff.
I agree about the Who though. Seeing my Christmas bestowed DVD of The Kids Are Alright reminds me why I love rock n' roll so much. The Stones don't have a definitive documentary chronichling their career but they stand for longevity, rowdiness, bawdy behaviour and pride like the old blues masters while the Who were destructive, restless, energetic and living for the moment in the spirit of punk kind of.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
12-31-03 05:28 AM
alex_taper Overrated Dylan, Springsteen, led zeppelin ????!!!!!!!!
Underrated The Rolling Stones ?????!!!

Is it a joke ???

Overrated : Eagles, Oasis, Beatles, lots of others
Underrated : Allman BB, Lynyrd Skynyrd, lots of others....
12-31-03 05:49 AM
Navin Most Overrated: Led Zep, Beatles...far too many to mention.

Underrated Rock Band: Alice Cooper, Billy Idol, David Lee Roth...maybe Frank Zappa?
12-31-03 05:50 AM
alex_taper in actual groups, The Detroit Cobras are underrated (a fantastic cover band).
12-31-03 09:58 AM
glencar "The Stones don't have a definitive documentary chronichling their career but they stand for longevity, rowdiness, bawdy behaviour and pride like the old blues masters while the Who were destructive, restless, energetic and living for the moment in the spirit of punk kind of."

But, but, but what about 25X5? Yes, it's NOW dated but it was definitive up till that point. And certainly Gimme Shelter showed the band at its peak.
12-31-03 09:59 AM
glencar And good points about Van the Man.
12-31-03 10:01 AM
Joey

Van is very Nasty !!!!!

" Some " of those one hundred percent Irish guys can be a bit testy ( feisty ) .

Must be the Guinness !

Jacky !
12-31-03 10:05 AM
glencar He does drink a lot of it. But it also makes them funny & quite interesting. They don't get all quiet & brooding like some idiots.
12-31-03 10:11 AM
Joey " They don't get all quiet & brooding like some idiots. "

You need a new song
I'll set the words up so they tear right at your soul
Don't take me too long
But there's a danger that I'll plagiarize something old

My fingers kill me as I play my guitar
'Cause I've been chewing down at my nails
My hairline ain't exactly superstar
But there's one thing that never fails
This never fails

I write the same old song with a few new lines