ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best New Albums 2005 Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 2nd, 2006 04:01 PM
highwire I didn't buy a whole lot last year.Concentrated on the veteran bands still putting out stuff.

Top album, A Bigger Bang.Like manna from heaven.Still playing it. Would be on my desert island list.

2. Alice Cooper, Dirty Diamonds. My all time new fave Coop album. Theres about 8 Stones worthy guitar driven rock n roll songs.I'd say its my favourite Coop album ever.Straight ahead rock n roll with a dash of the bizarre.

Those were the big two
Also bought
3Robert Plant, Mighty Rearanger. Really like this album. Not real heavy, but very Zeppy in parts. Good listen.
4.Clapton Back Home. Lot of laid back stuff but he hammers out some heavy stuff here and there.
5.Neil Young Prairie Wind. More Neil brilliance.
6.McCartney Chaos and Creation ( yea I bought it wtf.goes in the easly listening bin though)
7.Sheryl Crow Wildflower ok nice voice but she's sounding a little relaxed.
8.BB King and friends 80th anniversary. Crank it loud.
Sounds great.

Bought some other stuff but from previous years. Thats it for the new stuff in 05.
January 2nd, 2006 07:41 PM
pdog I spent between $800. - $1,000. on CD's in 2005...Maybe a little more... I should keep better track, maybe I can scam a way to write it off...
January 2nd, 2006 09:07 PM
Jumping Jack I agree about Dirty Diamonds. It actually gets more play than ABB.
January 4th, 2006 03:46 AM
highwire
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I agree about Dirty Diamonds. It actually gets more play than ABB.

Play where? I ask only because the classic rock station in Toronto ( Q107 the same one that tried to pass off Palais Royale 2002 as Phoenix 2005) is hopelessly stuck in the 70's and seems to only grudgingly plays Rough Justice or the latest Neil Young and then for just a short while before ditching it. I don't think Dirty Diamonds even came on their radar or other new music.
I hardly listen to them. Classic rock that ignores current classic rock is just boring and retro. The old songs are great but I've heard them all a million times and the best of them I have in my music collection.
Rock radio used to keep me current. Not any more.
Maybe that's just Toronto. If other cities have actual progressive rock formats, mix of old and new. Thats great for you. Too bad for us.
January 4th, 2006 05:34 AM
Jumping Jack Play in my house. I use for my work outs. Very energetic!
January 4th, 2006 03:06 PM
highwire Thanks I get you now. Oh well for a minute there I though Dirty Diamonds might actually be getting air play. God forbid rock stations would dare play new rock music.
Classic Rock formats are tiresome and boring.
January 4th, 2006 04:04 PM
texile ry cooder's ravine....
white stripes
i hate the hype but i like the killers....
under the gun is my favorite song of the year.
January 4th, 2006 09:23 PM
gypsymofo60 Worst year on record for decent new material, or new artists. I know I'm getting on a bit now, but I mean really; what a shit state music is in. So called PUNK bands that are about as lethal as a crippled poodle, R&B? If thats R&B I'm an African! The Idol generation! Ugghh. Come back Sex Pistols, all is forgiven.
January 5th, 2006 01:46 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
highwire wrote:

4.Clapton Back Home. Lot of laid back stuff but he hammers out some heavy stuff here and there.

I first heard the single "Revolution" while cruising down the road to Hana in Maui this summer, I remember going nuts trying to figure out why I had never heard this Clapton song before, didn't realize until I got back to the mainland that this was a new song from his new album, one of Clapton's cooler cuts in a long time, has that classic clapton feel, initially thought the album was a snorefest, but I've actually warmed up to it a bit

January 5th, 2006 07:19 AM
maumau sleater kinney "the woods"
January 5th, 2006 07:43 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Bigger bang
Hot Fuss - Killers

Didnt ratemuch else that much
January 5th, 2006 01:03 PM
polytoxic My fave purchases that I'm happy to recommend
(there's more but I gotta get back to work):

Supergrass - Road To Rouen
(reflective, psychedelic suite of songs with melodies that seep under your skin and lodge in your mind - brilliant career evolution from a criminally underrated British rock band --Check out St.Petersburg, Roxy, Fin)

Robert Plant - Mighty Rearranger
(Percy gets the "old guard keeping it fresh" award --sorry Mick--- not perfect but some great moments and enduring melodies -plus a new band that rocks hard but has it's own personality- in particular the title track, Shine It All Around & Takamba)

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
(a dance/electronic album with rock'n'roll attitude, a true original in a year lacking originality - also frontman James Murphy is the electronic scene's Mick Jagger, you should see the guy work a stage. Wry, cynical lyrics does for the rave scene what Jagger's blase observations did for swinging London-- Check out Losing My Edge, Tribulations, Daft Punk Is Playing At My House)

Black Mountain -Black Mountain
(five hairy hippies, two chords, one paleozoic groove -
part Sabbath, part Stones, part Can- Vancouver's Black Mountain make it work.
Heavyosity at its best -- Check out Druganaut, Set Us Free)

Sharon Jones - Naturally
(fans of Memphis soul should hop on this bandwagon, recorded in 2005 but with the feel of Aretha in her prime, out-fucking-standing live show too)

Black Keys - Rubber Factory
(actually a 2004 release but I didn't hip to it until this year- The Akron two-piece plays the kind of gritty white-boy blues fans of Exile will eat up. Very stripped down but intense and with a great groove - Check Out Grown Up Wrong, 10Am Automatic, Till I Get My Way)

Also Paul Weller: As Is Now, Oasis: Don't Believe The Truth, Burning Spear at Studio One (reissue), Bob Dylan: No Direction Home, Dr.John: Sippiana Hurricane, Dirtbombs: If you don't alreday have a look,
White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan. Neil Young: Prarie Wind.

And, of course A Bigger Buck, erm I mean Bang.
I like it, yes I do.

[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
January 5th, 2006 01:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Black Keys - Rubber Factory
(actually a 2004 release but I didn't hip to it until this year- The Akron two-piece plays the kind of gritty white-boy blues fans of Exile will eat up. Very stripped down but intense and with a great groove - Check Out Grown Up Wrong, 10Am Automatic, Till I Get My Way)

Great band! We'll 2 dudes. I dont if they're a band. But they ROCK! I really like em. Good loud dirty blooze!
More folks need to blast the Black Keys - "10am Automatic" is one lean, mean rockin tune!!!!!

I never got around to checking out the new Supergrass - but will give it a spin based on your praise.
January 5th, 2006 02:01 PM
pdog i was listening to The rubber factory two days ago, what a great record... Reminds me of Jimi and it is everything Zeppelin wanted to be...
Never got that Suprgrass album, I really like alot of thier stuff too! I heard it was excellent...
So much to buy... So little money!
January 5th, 2006 02:09 PM
Saint Sway I saw you got the new Strokes. Whats your take? I got an advance of it awhile back and have been really enjoying it. They are what they are - nothing fancy or heavy. Just simple fun party rock. I would even say this new cd is their best of the 3.
January 5th, 2006 02:20 PM
polytoxic If you liked Supergrass' other stuff, you'll dig the new one.
It's not as poppy as their earlier stuff so some longtime fans wrote the album off as too "snoozy" at first, but it really grows on you. It's one of those records that I played a couple of times when I bought it -thought it was cool--then let it gather dust. About a week ago, I pulled it out again in the right "mood", if you know what I mean, and it blew my mind.

Glad to hear other Stones fans are digging the Black Keys -they do rock mightily.

Saint Sway, any word on a new Crowes album in '06?
You seem like you might know.

January 5th, 2006 02:23 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I saw you got the new Strokes. Whats your take? I got an advance of it awhile back and have been really enjoying it. They are what they are - nothing fancy or heavy. Just simple fun party rock. I would even say this new cd is their best of the 3.

I like it so far. I like the first one, but the 2nd, eh!
This one is very heavily produced, but they also have evolved somewhat... I liked the first album alot, it was very Ramones/VU influenced and minmaly produced sounding... I know it's hard for a band to have success like they have and keep producing music, with all the factors taken in, this new record is good, possibly very good. I'm listening to alot of other stuff right now, mostly the new talking hEads remasters, which are very good. It's been so long since i listened to TH's music, so it's old/new, which is really good and fun. The new baby seems to dig them, it's good music for kids and adults too!
January 5th, 2006 02:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Saint Sway, any word on a new Crowes album in '06?
You seem like you might know.

06 will be filled with many cool releases from The Black Crowes! A live DVD!! 2 previously unreleased albums!!!!! And - yes - a new CD!

and, of course, continued touring!!!!
January 5th, 2006 02:33 PM
wisertime
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

06 will be filled with many cool releases from The Black Crowes! A live DVD!! 2 previously unreleased albums!!!!! And - yes - a new CD!

and, of course, continued touring!!!!

Hi Saint Sway, do you know when the Fillmore DVD will be released ? Can't wait to see that one.
January 5th, 2006 02:37 PM
Saint Sway PDog
I definately hear Velvet Underground w/the Strokes. But not so much Ramones. Ramones had a more ballsy sound.
January 5th, 2006 02:46 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
PDog
I definately hear Velvet Underground w/the Strokes. But not so much Ramones. Ramones had a more ballsy sound.

I think it's a NY sound in their music, not the style that reminds me of the Ramones... It's very subtle, just a NYC punk thing, which The Strokes aren't but you can put them in the family tree...
January 5th, 2006 02:49 PM
Saint Sway even a little Television.
January 6th, 2006 01:00 AM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
even a little Television.

I hear more TV than anything else in Is This It. With vocals a cross between Lou Reed and Idiot/LFL-period Iggy.
January 6th, 2006 01:23 AM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
even a little Television.

Yes, definitely... FYI, The Richard Hell anthology is a must have...
January 6th, 2006 11:14 AM
polytoxic Thanks for the Crowes update, Sway.
That's music to my ears.
January 6th, 2006 11:17 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

Yes, definitely... FYI, The Richard Hell anthology is a must have...

Tom Verlane was in my office yesterday. He's working on a project with one of my designers.
January 6th, 2006 11:44 AM
Egbert Did ya talk to him?
January 6th, 2006 11:58 AM
Saint Sway Yes. Mostly guitar geek talk. He said that they are working - under the radar - on a new album that they hope to find a way to release this year. I had no idea that they even still played. I'll definately catch one of their next shows in NY.
January 6th, 2006 03:47 PM
Egbert That's great news - I missed them last time around in NYC but will not do the same next time.
January 6th, 2006 03:52 PM
Some Guy That new Kanye West is hot.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)