ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Overrated rock acts Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-31-02 03:37 PM
Prodigal Son You know, this radio crap list got me thinking about some of the most overrated bands/artists of all time. I know this has probably been done, but I'd like to see what everyone else says. Here's my lengthy list:
1. Aerosmith: I'm speechless. The name speaks for itself. They epitomize commercial sell-out rock. Plus, they're geezers too.
The rest:
2. Kiss
3. the Eagles
4. Bon Jovi
5. Def Leppard
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Guns 'n' Roses
8. U2
9. Boston
10. Michael Jackson
12-31-02 11:23 PM
Boomhauer Yes, my friend. Instead of helping out a group like, oh let's see...........someone like Buckcherry (who I thought was a pretty good band), they play "Sweet Emotion" every hour.

I'm tellin' you, the Stones don't even get respect on the radio. It's only Satisfaction, Start Me Up, and Brown Sugar over and over again. They don't play much of anything else.

Rodney Dangerfield shit, man. NO respect.
12-31-02 11:24 PM
Soul Survivor HEY!

I know theyre overrated, but i like "KISS"

And Im ready for some arguments if someone has a problem
12-31-02 11:32 PM
Soul Survivor KISS rocks!
12-31-02 11:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot Kiss couldn't rock in a quarry let alone on a stage or in a studio.

Aerosmith are definately on the list. Any Boy Band or It Girl. Any hair band. Peter fuckwad Frampton. John Menstralcramp. Christ...just about ANYTHING in the charts right now....and KISS.
12-31-02 11:47 PM
Soul Survivor What do you have against KISS?
12-31-02 11:51 PM
~AzQb

StarcHYMarc!

With less than ten minutes to go til we roll into 2003, i don't have time to do "overrated". That'd take days.

You know what tune has been rollin round in my brain lately? Bob's kid's "6th AZvenue Heartache".

Maybe not blessed with "it" like his dad, but i'm keepin my ear on him ; )

~!

01-01-03 02:11 AM
Sir Stonesalot The Wallflowers blow chunks.

Soulie....

I gotta ask. Are you huffing butane or something like that?
01-01-03 02:59 AM
~AzQb

Well, if the kid had "Heartache" in him, i'm not ruling him out as a songwriter entirely as he gets older. True most of his stuff is lame, but this one runs.

Maybe there's more in him!

~
01-01-03 12:17 PM
egon what's wrong with u2 & aerosmith?
i'm the proud owner of a couple of their albums.
what i wanna know; where's oasis on that list?
01-01-03 03:18 PM
F505 Don't forget Queen. They're certainly in the top 3. And ofcourse mister Phil Collins not to forget.
01-01-03 03:39 PM
Pattie I like Queen.
01-01-03 03:40 PM
F505 Ahum
01-01-03 03:45 PM
Gazza >You know, this radio crap list got me thinking about some of the most overrated bands/artists of all time. I know this has probably been done, but I'd like to see what everyone else says

Depends who's doing the "rating" to begin with. As you're talking about a "public" poll...I never take that shit seriously because the music buying public for the most part have little taste and wouldn't know quality or culture if it bit them on the arse. If anything, I'm GLAD in a perverse kind of way that artists like the Stones or Bob Dylan don't top these idiotic polls because when I see what they're being compared to, it restores my faith in my own good taste.

Record sales aren't really a barometer either for showing how overrated someone can be. True, there may be appallingly bad bands a la Bon Jovi who have somehow managed to con the public for almost two decades that they're producing something worthy but there's also shitloads of other acts such as Westlife who may have sold millions of units but know they're nothing more than a piece of fluff who appeal to pre-pubescent girls - a market which is probably the most gullible but also the most fickle.

How about a poll for the most useless and tiresome aspect of popular culture... My vote goes to the media fascination with POLLS itself!
01-01-03 03:50 PM
Moonisup queen ain't that bad, better as some other 70-ies acts
01-01-03 03:54 PM
F505 The only good thing about Queen is that two of their title albums refer to Marx Brothers pictures. But Freddy Mercury was one of the greatest idiots walking around on a stage.
01-01-03 03:59 PM
Moonisup well he said that Mick and Little Richard where his influences,

[Edited by Moonisup]
01-01-03 04:07 PM
~AzQb

...i happen to know of a guy who is a devoted fan of REM living in Toronto who won Freddy's sterilised jockstrap from 1977!

...tHE guy{who happens to blow the flute like a real Champion) framed the thing under glass and now it hangs lovingly over his HEADboard!

I also heard that this guy also practises frantic piano to "Bohemian Rhapsody" and rythmically pens elegies to some guy who has been dead for a long time now.

It's been said, by someone in the know, that an extra large box of Kleenex is always on that piano, and i've always wondered about that, personally.

It's also been rumoured, but i don't know this for sure, that the guy who won Freddy's jockstrap has really bizarre and troubling nightmares. Seems he's waking up at four a.m. sweating and shit and talking about "dream lovers".

Don't understand it all myself!

~

01-01-03 05:28 PM
Staffan
quote:

How about a poll for the most useless and tiresome aspect of popular culture... My vote goes to the media fascination with POLLS itself!

Gazza, you nailed it!
No fucking polls or lists on TV, in newspapers or on the net show us anything good...
01-01-03 05:38 PM
stewed & Keefed 1.kiss
2.beatles
3.fucking phil collins
4.queen
5.bon jovi
6.wings
7.dire straits
8.strokes
9.limp bizkit
10.nickelback
01-01-03 06:15 PM
Chest Rockwell here are some others to consider

dave matthews band
nine inch nails (although i do like "head like a hole")
creed

01-01-03 06:20 PM
stewed & Keefed I forgot about creed. top five
01-01-03 07:32 PM
gypsy nirvana
dave matthews
01-01-03 07:37 PM
egon
quote:
F505 wrote:
But Freddy Mercury was one of the greatest idiots walking around on a stage.

you must be joking!

the guy was a great performer on stage (remember live aid?), and a fantastic singer.

queen was slipping a bit towards the end, but the rest is great stuff
01-02-03 04:53 AM
F505 Joking? Wish I was. I remember Mercury's stage act as a pompous macho way of babyish behaviour. When you walk around with a crown, a sceptre and a mink coat on stage than you better move to a gay parade. It's over-exposure all the way. Besides Bohemian Rhapsody is the most overrated song in history of pop culture!!! And We Are The Champions is the most dumbest song ever written. If you write a line as "no time for losers" you're the greatest loser yourself.
01-02-03 05:16 AM
~AzQb

F505!

Couldn't agree with you more about QueenFred...whenever someone mentions their dime-a-dozen bells&whistles pseudo/"sound", {which was just regurgitation from the tartstart)a ...i can't but help, {however hard i try to dislodge the image)think of Freddy getting that Brian Jones by some kid as he wrote "Bohemian Rhapsody" at his piano.

Some legacy there !

~

01-02-03 05:20 AM
beer Radiohead sucks.

Creed are possibly the worst band I've heard in a long time.

Any and all hip hop pretty much sucks too. I used to almost tolerate it, but it's turned into such a recycled pile of shit, i can't listen to it.
01-02-03 06:17 AM
~AzQb

beer!

Interestingly 'nuff, another thing occurs to me: i can't think of ONE cat who has left his band/songwriting partner who is still diggable to the ear. Not ONE. Here's a few who come merelyto mind sans any ear glory:

1. Ferry after Roxy: UgH
2. Gregg after Bros.: Ik
3.Sling after Police: unmentionably boring, though his bedroom assertions pique LOL
4. Gilmour sans Waters: give me back that blotter...
5 Byrne after Heads: maddening
6.Winwood after everyone: only one number rockin with RollIt
7. Any brother after the other one leaves: think "Robinson"
and "Oasis"...(but don't think too long)

You know what i mean ? After the duo partnership dissolves...

~!

01-02-03 06:43 AM
beer So true, has Sting done anything relevant in the last ten years?

BUT!!!!

"Interestingly 'nuff, another thing occurs to me: i can't think of ONE cat who has left his band/songwriting partner who is still diggable to the ear."

NEIL YOUNG

01-02-03 06:48 AM
~AzQb

OF COURSE the StrollingBalladeer Neil!!

{but i've always considered CSNY a 'warmup' of sorts and him always and uniquely solo!}

~!
Page: 1 2