ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Jeep, thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best live shows in 2006 other than the Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th December 2006 02:18 PM
nanatod Here's my list of best live shows (not including Rolling Stones) that I saw [in the Chicagoland area] in 2006:

1. Lollapalooza Day 3 (by a nose over....)
2. Lollapalooza Day 1
3. Lollapalooza Day 2
4. Justin Roberts and the Not Ready for Naptime Players, Printers Row Book Fair
5. Queensryche, 2nd of the 3 HOB shows
6. Jay Z's Hangar Tour, Riviera
7. Reverend Payton and the Damn Band, 2nd morning of Wicker Park Festival
8. The Blisters, Second City
9. My Morning Jacket, Grant Park, 4th of July
10. Bishop Neal Roberson, Dottie Peoples, Chicago Gospel Festival Day 1
11. Backyard Tire Fire and Son Volt, Taste of Randolph, June 16th.
12. Roky Erickson, Chromeo, Devin the Dude, at Intonation Day 1
13. Kool Moe Dee and the Treacherous Three, African Festival of the Arts
14. Neal McCoy, Pritzker Pavillion
15. Wood Brothers, Empty Bottle
16. The Pharcyde, Columbia College
17. Michael White Original Liberty Jazz Band, Nnenna Freelon, Chicago Jazz Festival, day 1
18. Neil Innes, Abbey Pub
19. Claudia Calderon and Piano Llanero, World Music Festival last day
20. Barbara Streisand, United Center, election day

[I've been off the board for ten days, as my computer's server crashed, and is only now back]

[Edited by nanatod]
24th December 2006 02:37 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
nanatod wrote:

18. Neil Innes, Abbey Pub

[Edited by nanatod]

Now that's a person that I would love to see live. A melodic genius.
24th December 2006 03:41 PM
Dan best live show period for me was Mudhoney at Safari Sam's 11/3/06 (which happens to be on Dime right now).

Others Aerosmith/Motley Crue in Devore, Aerosmith at the Hollywood Bowl, Rancid at the Henry Fonda Theatre, Mad Juana at the Knitting Factory, GWAR at the House Of Blues, Devo/Bow Wow Wow/A Flock Of Seagulls at the Greek Halloween, Sierra Leone Refugee All Stars at Amoeba.

I didn't really go to too many this year though.
24th December 2006 03:44 PM
WattsAtScotts The New York Dolls at The Music Farm

Twisted Sister-Hard Rock Live, Orlando
[Edited by WattsAtScotts]
24th December 2006 04:10 PM
mrhipfl 1. Aerosmith at the ford amphitheatre
2. B.B. King at Ruth Eckerd Hall
3. the tampa bay blues fest
4. The James gang at Ruth Eckerd Hall
5. Winter at the State theatre
6. Reo Speedwagon at Jannus Landing, only because we got to go backstage and meet the band.
24th December 2006 04:18 PM
nanatod
quote:
nanatod wrote:
8. The Blisters, Second City

Here is a picture of the Blisters (drummer(age 11)'s dad plays guitar for Wilco):

24th December 2006 04:42 PM
MikeyC613 Pearl Jam LA Forum July 10
My Morning Jacket 930 Club
24th December 2006 04:45 PM
Phog Dylan - KC#2
Dylan - Omaha
Drive-By Truckers - KC
Motorhead - KC
Dinosaur Jr. - Lawrence
Dylan - KC#1
Sonic Youth - Lawrence
24th December 2006 05:00 PM
JuanTCB Redd Kross - Irving Plaza, NYC
24th December 2006 05:44 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Springsteen - Convention Hall, Asbury Park 4.20
The Who - MSG 9.19
Dylan - Agannis Arena, Boston 11.12
Dylan - Meadowlands NJ 11.16
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ 7.20
RA & The Cardinals - Town Hall, NYC 12.4
Farm Aid - Tweeter Center, Camden NJ 9.30
Pretenders - Starland Ballroom 11.29
John Fogerty/Willie Nelson - PNC Arts Center 8.5
Petty/Allmans - Tweeter Center, Camden NJ 8.18
Phil Lesh & Friends - Hammerstein, NYC 2.17
24th December 2006 06:03 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I've been pretty lucky for shows this year. Of the five that I saw, none sucked:

1. Stones - Montreal 01/15/06
2. The Black Crowes - Ottawa 05/15/06
3. The Who - Ottawa 09/15/06
4. Alice Cooper - Cornwall 10/17/06
5. Guns 'n' Roses - Ottawa 11/17/06
24th December 2006 06:06 PM
Spru Pearl Jam - Cleveland - May 20 & Pearl Jam - Pittsburgh - June 23 (they covered Waiting on a Friend and Ed made a toast to Keith).
24th December 2006 07:16 PM
fireontheplatter CSNY at saratoga performing arts center in the pouring rain. great great stuff. other than that i have not seen any show...accept for the local bars
24th December 2006 10:07 PM
ExileInLA Any Black Crowes show before they lost their version of Mick Taylor (Marc Ford) and their version of Nicky Hopkins (Ed Harsch).

The Black Crowes are a sad sight now without those guys and I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm a fan with all the high school drama that the band spawns.
24th December 2006 11:38 PM
lotsajizz GnR 11-06 Worcester
The Who Boston 9-18-06 and 12-2-06
Pearl Jam 5-06 Boston
Aerosmith 8-06 Mansfield
NY Dolls 11-06 Providence
The Raconteurs 11-06 Boston
Dylan 8-06 Pawtucket
Roger Waters 9-06 Mansfield
25th December 2006 07:03 AM
shakedhandswithkeith not sure for the best, but the badest was with no doubt Chuck Berry!
25th December 2006 08:57 AM
Bitch I'm gonna say James Brown, Atlantic City, since he just died. Little Richard and BB King, also in AC, deserve an honorable mention. I saw all these old greats because they have had such a great influence on rock and roll with soul. And they kicked ass for their ages.

the most inventive show:
Ringo Starr and his ALL-STAR band in Philadelphia. Each star in the band played a few of their top hits, Edgar Winter, Shiela E, Billy Squire, Argent, it was very cool.

the most powerful show:
The Who, opening night in Philadelphia, definately on the caliber of ABB.

the smoothest show:
Eric Clapton, MSG in NYC. The man plays a mean guitar!

the sweetest show
Bob Dylan Theatre show in NYC, very understated.

the show of a lifetime:
ROLLING STONES at the Beacon Theatre in NYC in October. This is on the top of my list forever.

I must admit, I am lucky to live in an area where I have so many concert venues within an hour's drive. Add more time in for the traffic jams, sometimes another hour in traffic, but it's OK, I'm used to it!
25th December 2006 11:13 AM
mojoman james gang-beacon theater
25th December 2006 12:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot Best tour of the year...

Little Steven's Underground Garage-a-Go-Go: NY Dolls/Supersuckers/Chesterfield Kings/The Charms

Some other cools shows I saw:

Dylan/The Raconteurs @ Wachovia Center
Buzzcocks/The Adored/The Choke @ The North Star
Radio Birdman/Easy Action @ First Unitarian Church
Ian McLagan & The Bump Band @ The North Star
Drive By Truckers @ 9:30 Club & The Chameleon Club
Soledad Brothers @ The Khyber

I'm gettin' 2007 off to a rippin' start by seein' The Dwarves 1/27...
25th December 2006 06:04 PM
sweetcharmedlife 1.David Gilmour - Paramount Theatre
2.Greg Allman - The Grand
3.John Mellancamp - Harvey's Lake Tahoe
4.Guns & Roses - Warfield Theatre
5.Alice Cooper - Opening for the Stones in Phoenix
25th December 2006 06:29 PM
Gazza Bruce Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions Band
Dublin 5th May
Dublin 17,18 & 19th November
Belfast 21st November

Lucinda Williams
Manchester 12th November

These were the best shows I saw all year. If I had to choose the best, maybe the 3rd of Bruce's November Dublin trio would shade it.

The 7 Stones shows I saw ranged from good (Berlin and Nice) to superb (London both nights and Glasgow) although none would be in the top 10 of all the Stones gigs I've seen.

Had they played the theatre gigs they'd promised at the start of the tour and I'd been lucky enough to get tickets, though - I would almost certainly have felt differently!
[Edited by Gazza]
26th December 2006 10:38 AM
GotToRollMe Best live shows of 2006 other than the Stones? Can't say I've enjoyed any shows I've seen this year more than I've enjoyed the Stones, so the Stones it'll have to be:

In order of excellence:

1. Atlantic City 11/17 (one of my all-time favorite Stones shows)
2. Giants Stadium 9/27
3. Madison Square Garden 1/18

26th December 2006 01:13 PM
nanatod
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Best live shows of 2006 other than the Stones? Can't say I've enjoyed any shows I've seen this year more than I've enjoyed the Stones, so the Stones it'll have to be:

C'mon, didn't you see any other musical acts this year other than the Stones?
26th December 2006 03:31 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
nanatod wrote:

C'mon, didn't you see any other musical acts this year other than the Stones?

Oh yeah, I've seen them, but I can't say I enjoyed them more than the Stones.
26th December 2006 03:56 PM
nanatod Got to Roll Me, my original post asked for best live shows other than the Stones. It did not ask how those shows related vis a vis to any or all Stones shows a person may have seen this year. I assumed that someone else(?) could/would start a thread about best Stones live shows this year.

I was only interested to see the depth and breath of the musical interests of the people who read this board. Also, if someone really thought highly of a non-Stones musical act, I would take that into consideration the next time said act toured my town. For example, many people whose musical opinion I trust have extolled how great the Drive By Truckers are in concert; if they tour anywhere near Chicago, I intend to make a beeline for said show.

Let me restate the question, Got To Roll Me. What concerts other than the Stones did you see this year? Were any of those shows worth spending a couple of dollars, and a couple of hours worth of your time?
[Edited by nanatod]
26th December 2006 04:36 PM
GotToRollMe I haven't seen a lot of big name acts this year with the exception of the Stones; they pretty much bled me dry as far as disposable income went. Dylan was great, but I'd only recommend seeing him if you're a real fan. The new New York Dolls are worth seeing if only for Johansen and Sylvain; the new material is actually pretty good.

Oh, nanatod, I see you live in the Chicago area. I saw Andre Taylor and The Blues Alley Cats at Kingston Mines and couldn't believe my ears. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
26th December 2006 06:01 PM
nanatod Thank you for responding. I saw Andre Taylor a couple of years ago doing a lunch time show at the Chicago Cultural Center. When it comes to living Chicago blues artists, I prefer Byther Smith and the Nightriders or Little Ed to Taylor or even Buddy Guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byther_Smith

http://www.alligator.com/index.cfm?section=artists&artistid=13
[Edited by nanatod]
26th December 2006 07:06 PM
GotToRollMe I dig Buddy Guy as well. Thank you for posting the links. I'd like to check out Lil Ed. If you could start me on one CD, which one would it be? I'd appreciate it, thanks.
26th December 2006 07:21 PM
Jumping Jack 1. Stones
2. Alice Cooper
3. The Who
4. Clapton
5. Styx & Foriegner
6. Aerosmith
7. Steely Dan

Worst:
Paul Simon
26th December 2006 07:25 PM
nanatod
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I'd like to check out Lil Ed. If you could start me on one CD, which one would it be? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I don't have Cd's from Lil Ed or Byther Smith. But they play live very frequently in Chicago (Lil Ed moreso than Byther because Alligator Records gets its artists more local gigs than other record companies), so there are many opportunities to check them out.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)