ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!
Background image by Irina!
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Absinthe Return to archive Page: 1 2
18th December 2007 02:38 PM
Barney Fife How many of you have tried it? (I have not.) What are the best brands world-wide and what are the best brands available in the United States, please? By "best," I mean in terms of drinkability and giving you the traditional, original absinthe buzz.
18th December 2007 02:39 PM
Joey " How many of you have tried it? What are the best brands world-wide and what are the best brands available in the United States, please? "

18th December 2007 02:54 PM
egon
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
How many of you have tried it? (I have not.) What are the best brands world-wide and what are the best brands available in the United States, please? By "best," I mean in terms of drinkability and giving you the traditional, original absinthe buzz.

REAL absinthe is illegal, though you could get
it from some eastern european countries...
18th December 2007 02:57 PM
LadyJane I have. Very interesting buzz.
No idea how to get it though.
Guy that I got it from made it.
He OD'd years ago. Or was he murdered? I don't think we ever found out.

Why am I spilling this to the world wide web??

LJ.
18th December 2007 03:05 PM
pdog isn't the real deal an opiate based booze?
Good thing I never got my hands on that stuff....
18th December 2007 03:11 PM
Highwire Rob Never tried it but I've been curious ever since reading The Sun Also Rises. Every turn of the page, Hemingway and his characters were soaking up the absinthe at al fresco cafes then hitting the bullfighting arenas of Spain.
18th December 2007 03:13 PM
LadyJane
quote:
pdog wrote:
isn't the real deal an opiate based booze?
Good thing I never got my hands on that stuff....

I believe you are right, P.
I remember drinking it and it tasting like licorice.

LJ.
18th December 2007 03:15 PM
Nasty Habits The only time I ever had a serious absinthe experience was in Bellingham Washington in 1995 at the "Garage-Shock" festival hosted by Estrus Records. The owner of the label had some and shared it with some of us garage goofs right before Pacific Northwest legends Dead Moon came on. First time I had ever seen Dead Moon and I remember it being quite cosmic and euphoric - I was quite the bouncy pest for the 40 minutes that they were on and that my buzz seemed to last. I have often wondered if it was really the absinthe or if it was a combination of absinthe, adrenaline, and etc. that yielded such a total freak out. I bounced all over the crowd, I ruined my taper pal's tape by screaming "THESE GUYS FUCKING ROCK" straight into his mike at random 'hilarious' intervals, and who knows what else I did.

The other time I had it was under more proper circumstances, over the sugar cube and the flame and all that but it was more like a party of eggheads sitting around taking and that was more like really low-grade mushrooms - sometimes I felt like I had a buzz but most of the time I just felt chatty and gregarious.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
18th December 2007 03:19 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Joey wrote:
" How many of you have tried it? What are the best brands world-wide and what are the best brands available in the United States, please? "

Tasted it in Spain and Cezk Republic...can't remember the brands but for those nights my dreams were all green...
18th December 2007 03:20 PM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Why am I spilling this to the world wide web??

http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html

18th December 2007 03:26 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
egon wrote:

REAL absinthe is illegal, though you could get
it from some eastern european countries...

Actually it's legal now, but I don't think it's sold in every state. I have heard that some brands are rather wimpy.

18th December 2007 03:26 PM
polytoxic Well the one time I tried the real deal it was homemade. it was down in New Orleans during Jazzfest and my crew got friendly with this lot from Rhode Island who came down every year and rented out a bar right on Lee Circle for an absinthe party. I guess they did all the research or got the chemistry right at their university campus. My friends and had about a pint each (diluted with water and poured over the sugar-the whole deal). After hanging at the party for a couple of hours, we took another pint to go and we headed uptown to catch a late night set a the Maple Leaf. That's where things start to get blurry. It's kind of like mushrooms, but you're drunk as well with all the associated rowdiness. But then again you've got energy....for a while, then everything starts spinning. I didn't hallucinate put had that smiley, tingly kind of rush that you get when mushrooms kick in (or so I'm told). I remember one of my friends thinking a pile of boxes on sidewalk was the most comfortable bed in the world, and it was very hard to convince him that sleeping on the street in a pile of garbage in New Orleans is maybe not a good idea. I got a little crampy but my two friends spent the dawn hours hurling, at top volume, over the railing of the front porch onto the lawn. That seemed to go for a long time. The next night they spent the entire George Thorogood show at the House Of Blues in the can. They must have had more than me because I felt pretty brutal but I wasn't as ashen as they were. Long story short, you'd probably have a better time with a gram of shrooms and a twelve pack.
18th December 2007 03:31 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The only time I ever had a serious absinthe experience was in Bellingham Washington in 1995 at the "Garage-Shock" festival hosted by Estrus Records. The owner of the label had some and shared it with some of us garage goofs right before Pacific Northwest legends Dead Moon came on. First time I had ever seen Dead Moon and I remember it being quite cosmic and euphoric - I was quite the bouncy pest for the 40 minutes that they were on and that my buzz seemed to last. I have often wondered if it was really the absinthe or if it was a combination of absinthe, adrenaline, and etc. that yielded such a total freak out. I bounced all over the crowd, I ruined my taper pal's tape by screaming "THESE GUYS FUCKING ROCK" straight into his mike at random 'hilarious' intervals, and who knows what else I did.

The other time I had it was under more proper circumstances, over the sugar cube and the flame and all that but it was more like a party of eggheads sitting around taking and that was more like really low-grade mushrooms - sometimes I felt like I had a buzz but most of the time I just felt chatty and gregarious.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

Thanks for the story. This reminds me of that quote from Charlie Watts where he recommends that most people not use drugs because they can't handle them.

18th December 2007 03:34 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Well the one time I tried the real deal it was homemade. it was down in New Orleans during Jazzfest and my crew got friendly with this lot from Rhode Island who came down every year and rented out a bar right on Lee Circle for an absinthe party. I guess they did all the research or got the chemistry right at their university campus. My friends and had about a pint each (diluted with water and poured over the sugar-the whole deal). After hanging at the party for a couple of hours, we took another pint to go and we headed uptown to catch a late night set a the Maple Leaf. That's where things start to get blurry. It's kind of like mushrooms, but you're drunk as well with all the associated rowdiness. But then again you've got energy....for a while, then everything starts spinning. I didn't hallucinate put had that smiley, tingly kind of rush that you get when mushrooms kick in (or so I'm told). I remember one of my friends thinking a pile of boxes on sidewalk was the most comfortable bed in the world, and it was very hard to convince him that sleeping on the street in a pile of garbage in New Orleans is maybe not a good idea. I got a little crampy but my two friends spent the dawn hours hurling, at top volume, over the railing of the front porch onto the lawn. That seemed to go for a long time. The next night they spent the entire George Thorogood show at the House Of Blues in the can. They must have had more than me because I felt pretty brutal but I wasn't as ashen as they were. Long story short, you'd probably have a better time with a gram of shrooms and a twelve pack.

Thanks for the excellent story.

I'm getting old, so my mushroom contacts dried up or died years ago.
18th December 2007 03:48 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Thanks for the story. This reminds me of that quote from Charlie Watts where he recommends that most people not use drugs because they can't handle them.

Yeah, most of the time, as long as alcohol isn't heavily involved, I keep it pretty together. That was my most serious in-public freak-out. So. Absinthe and rock and roll may not mix.

18th December 2007 03:59 PM
mojoman http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/12conn.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin
18th December 2007 04:01 PM
mojoman http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Absinthe_from_Kubler__Val_de_Travers__Switzerland.html
18th December 2007 04:12 PM
lotsajizz Absinthe is lame
18th December 2007 04:12 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Absinthe is lame

You must drink the hell out of then
18th December 2007 06:05 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

Actually it's legal now, but I don't think it's sold in every state. I have heard that some brands are rather wimpy.

I think your right, they do sell it here now, but I think it's made without the wormwood (or a different kind) so that it doesn't have the hallucinogenic wallop, it's basically just green liqueur

Last time I was down in Mexico I noticed all the liquor shops sold it Absinthe, thought about giving it a go, but couldn't resist going with a bottle of Havana Club 7 year cuban rum instead, that shits off the hook
18th December 2007 06:20 PM
Joey " ...... that shits off the hook "

******* END TRANSMISSION ********

Brown Stinky ! ™

18th December 2007 08:59 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

You must drink the hell out of then

Fiji just ... pawn ... in game of life

18th December 2007 09:30 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Fiji just ... pawn ... in game of life

Jizzy just...mouth...on cock
18th December 2007 09:46 PM
TampabayStone Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
19th December 2007 05:35 AM
egon
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

believe me the original absinthe is NOT legal anymore
as it's pretty much poison & very addictive.
(unfort i forgot what the illegal ingredient is called)

the "new" absinthe is available anywhere in europe.

this one's very popular with the tourists:

but nowadays the French drink pastis, which is sort of the follow up of absinthe

[Edited by egon]
19th December 2007 05:48 AM
JohnLeeHacker True. We can find new absinthes now but of course not as
the original, forbidden just before WWI (1913-14).
19th December 2007 05:49 AM
egon
quote:
JohnLeeHacker wrote:
True. We can find new absinthes now but of course not as
the original, forbidden just before WWI (1913-14).

but what's the specific ingredient that makes it so bad...?

19th December 2007 05:57 AM
JohnLeeHacker Chimic (for green color), herbs (from Jura) and too much anis.
19th December 2007 06:11 AM
lotsajizz not just predictable....
19th December 2007 08:37 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
egon wrote:

believe me the original absinthe is NOT legal anymore
as it's pretty much poison & very addictive.
(unfort i forgot what the illegal ingredient is called)

Well, Bunny, you must be talking about either artemisia absinthium or thujone.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)