ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!
Background image by Irina!
Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année!
Glückliches Neues Jahr! - Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo cabrones !
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz!
Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - gelukkige nuwejaar - Gëzuar vitin e ri
ein gutes neues Jahr - e glëckliches nëies
aam said - shnorhavor nor tari
yeni iliniz mubarek - urteberrion
subho nababarsho - asgwas amegas
hnit thit ku mingalar pa - bloavez mad
честита нова година - kung hé fat tsoi
feliç any nou - xin nièn kuai le
seh heh bok mani bat uh seyo - godt nytår
sretna nova godina - felicxan novan jaron
head uut aastat - onnellista uutta vuotta
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - bliadhna mhath ur
ath bhliain faoi mhaise - feliz aninovo
blwyddyn newydd dda - kali chronia
rogüerohory año nuévo-re - shana tova
nav varsh ki subhkamna - boldog új évet
selamat tahun baru - farsælt komandi ár
felice anno nuovo - akemashite omedetô
asseguèsse-ameguèsse - hosa varshada shubhaa shayagalu
sur sdei chhnam thmei - umwaka mwiza
sala we ya nû pîroz be - sabai di pi mai
laimīgo Jauno gadu - laimingų Naujųjų Metų
e gudd neit Joër - srekna nova godina
selamat tahun baru - arahaba tratry ny taona
kia hari te tau hou - shine jiliin bayariin mend hurgeye
(Шинэ жилийн баярын мэнд хvргэе - wênd na kô-d yuum-songo
gelukkig Nieuwjaar - godt nytt år
naya saal mubarik - sâle no mobârak
szczęśliwego nowego roku - un an nou fericit
С Новым Годом - ia manuia le tausaga fou
bonu annu nou - srecna nova godina
goredzwa rakanaka - stastlivy novy rok
srečno novo leto - dobir leto
gott nytt år - a guets Neuis
mwaka mzuri - manigong bagong taon
ia ora te matahiti api - iniya puthandu nalVazhthukkal
šťastný nový rok - nuthana samvathsara subhakankshalu
สวัสดีปีใหม่ - tashi délek
yeni yiliniz kutlu olsun - Z novym rokom
Chúc Mừng Nǎm Mới - bone annéye
新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paint it back – Stones aged 10 (Kruger exhibition in London) Return to archive
15th December 2007 07:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels From The Sunday Times
December 16, 2007
Paint it back – Stones aged 10
Christopher Thompson

STRANGE to think that the four cheeky faces resembling characters out of a Just William novel grew up into the chiselled visages we know as the Rolling Stones.

But that is precisely what compelled Sebastian Krüger, who styles himself a “new pop realist” artist, to release portraits of the band members when they were just 10 years old. It is meant as an encore to the portraits he did of the band on their 40th anniversary tour in 2002.

The caricatures of the young Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood have gone on show alongside the images of what they look like now.

The originals of the youthful portraits have been bought by a German art collector, but a limited edition has gone on sale at £2,350 for all four.

Krüger, 44, a friend of Wood, 60, whose own paintings sell for up to £300,000, says the Stones gave the project their blessing, although he found school photographs of them in books.

He is also exhibiting portraits of Clint Eastwood, Louis Armstrong, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Bono at Gallery 27 in London’s Cork Street.

The German-born artist said: “At first it wasn’t my intention to do comparison paintings – but I am very interested in changes and developments of people.

“For 25 years I have painted portraits of people crossing borders – and the Stones have certainly crossed borders in all aspects of their lives.”

Krüger started sketching the band from magazines and album covers as a teenager. Later he sent some of his drawings to the band’s management. Richards replied with a short letter which read: “Very interesting work. It must have been a good pencil.” Both he and Wood are now collectors of the artist’s work.

16th December 2007 11:18 AM
Gazza My footer pics, of course, are the paintings they're referring to

Kruger's Stones caricatures are always superb. They just have the perfect faces for it.

16th December 2007 11:30 AM
fireontheplatter kruger is no doubt a very talanted artist. but to me his portraits of the stones seem a tad on the exagerated side. i don't know maybe thats his intention.
16th December 2007 11:39 AM
Gazza thats the whole point of a caricature....
16th December 2007 11:50 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thats the whole point of a caricature....

over 6 thousand lbs for four fake faces....hey, knock yourself out.
16th December 2007 12:08 PM
Gazza er..I didnt buy it. I copied and pasted it..

and uh..all paintings are "fake". Even ones that have less originality and are simply copied from photos.

[Edited by Gazza]
16th December 2007 02:47 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:
er..I didnt buy it. I copied and pasted it..

and uh..all paintings are "fake". Even ones that have less originality and are simply copied from photos.

[Edited by Gazza]

some artists are that good they can make a reflection look real....do yourself a favor sometime and go to a museum and sit on the chairs they provide and stare awhile. dude, its real.
16th December 2007 03:22 PM
open-g
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

some artists are that good they can make a reflection look real....do yourself a favor sometime and go to a museum and sit on the chairs they provide and stare awhile. dude, its real.

some artist are real good...

16th December 2007 03:36 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:
My footer pics, of course, are the paintings they're referring to

Kruger's Stones caricatures are always superb. They just have the perfect faces for it.

I think they're great. And Charlie is probably spot on as he hasn't changed a bit since he was a baby!
16th December 2007 06:23 PM
stonedinaustralia the paintings are based on existing photographs aren't they ??... - about apart from ronnie i think i can recall seeing pics of the paintings - not that there's anything wrong with that!! the charlie for instance i know i have seen that before
16th December 2007 06:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

No, "dude" - 'real' would be the person itself.

Christ, I'm being given a lesson in the finer points of art by someone who can't even understand the concept of a caricature.

get 'real'...
[Edited by Gazza]
16th December 2007 06:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
the paintings are based on existing photographs aren't they ??... - about apart from ronnie i think i can recall seeing pics of the paintings - not that there's anything wrong with that!! the charlie for instance i know i have seen that before

They are, but with little tweaks here and there, I suppose. His portraits of the Stones as they're older tend to be more 'exaggerated'.
16th December 2007 06:29 PM
stonedinaustralia OK -

i was going to say if the works in your sig are caricatures they are only just so IMO - they are good

i will have to have a look at some of his other stuff

cheers
17th December 2007 11:48 AM
JohnLeeHacker Francis Bacon made portraits of M. Jagger early 80's.
In a certain way, they can be a mix between caricatures and portraits.
One of my fav. painters.
17th December 2007 12:35 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:

His portraits of the Stones as they're older tend to be more 'exaggerated'.

Lol Gazza, I think as the Stones grow older THEY become more exaggerated in their appearance too...
18th December 2007 04:20 PM
Gazza Just got a text message from Beast to say that Kruger's exhibition in London this evening featured a guest appearance by one of his many subjects - Ronnie Wood.

Nice little treat for everyone who was there.
18th December 2007 05:02 PM
glencar
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
kruger is no doubt a very talanted artist. but to me his portraits of the stones seem a tad on the exagerated side. i don't know maybe thats his intention.

Whoosh!
18th December 2007 05:03 PM
pdog you guys, go easy on fire. It's a touch of retardation, be nice!
18th December 2007 05:08 PM
glencar Just so odd...
18th December 2007 08:10 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
pdog wrote:
you guys, go easy on fire. It's a touch of retardation, be nice!

yeah i know , well either that or alcoholism - or perhaps a bit of both
18th December 2007 08:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels "Alcoholism"....Is that a philosophy, ideology or religion? ....I'm stumped.
18th December 2007 09:08 PM
stonedinaustralia life style choice??

medical condition??

no doubt a way of living(and/or dying)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
18th December 2007 09:42 PM
TampabayStone Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
20th December 2007 05:56 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Don't discuss the artist,
Kruger is GOD!!!!!!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)