ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Goin' South routine... Salón 21, México D.F. August 31, 2001
By Juan Trujillo

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Joe Strummer is Dead Return to archive
12-23-02 07:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man Staffen has posted on Kenos board that he died last night. It was a stroke

Alex
12-23-02 07:55 AM
Staffan http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/23/britain.strummer/index.html

12-23-02 08:29 AM
L&A Sad day...
12-23-02 09:10 AM
Sir Stonesalot You can't possibly know how sad I am right now.

Joe saved me from a life of Aerosmith, Kiss, and Led Zepplin. For me, it's the same as saving my life altogether.

He was my Elvis, my guitar hero. I want to play guitar like he did. I sing like he did.

My Xmas is ruined. I feel as black as the Rocks Off background.

See, I've always liked the Stones...but I didn't go crazy until after I saw them in '89. Before that, for me, it was about the music that mattered....The Clash. In a way, a part of me died with Joe.

I'm so greatful to Jimmy Whitley. Last year, he got to speak with Joe, and Jimmy asked me if there was anything I wanted him to say for me. I told him to thank Joe for saving me from a life of crappy sclock rock. Jimmy also got Joe to sign his latest Mescaleros album for me, Global A-Go Go. It is one of my treasured possessions. More so now.

After work today, I'm going home and listening to Joe....and drinking a whole lot of Jack Daniels.
12-23-02 09:24 AM
nankerphelge SS -- my secretary told me the news this morning and you were the first person I thought of. I knew you really liked the Clash and JS in particular. It's a real bummer when someone you admire so is suddenly gone. Sorry bud -- hope the JD helps a little.
12-23-02 09:27 AM
jb The Clash was a band that brings back great college memories to me....they were something different in a sea of 80's hairbands...I always recall the video when they playe "Should I stay, or should I go" at Shea Stadium opening for the Who..RIP Joe...
[Edited by jb]
12-23-02 10:56 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You can't possibly know how sad I am right now.

Oh yes I can.

My xmas has already been a fucking nightmare. I thought just about everything that could possibly be fucked up already was. But I was wrong.

My day started with SS calling me to give me the news. I couldn't take it in, still can't.

I'm proud to say I saw Joe four times - London Calling (Clash Takes The Fifth) Tour at the Tower Theater, Combat Rock Tour at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh, opening for the Who at Shea Stadium, and the Cut the Crap Tour at the Spectrum. All four times, even the last one, Joe was the most electrifying...I don't know what to call him, he wasn't a performer. He wasn't putting on an act. It was like he had a message to convey and if he didn't get the message across he would explode.

I was SURE the Clash would play again. God damn it.

I'm glad that Mick & Joe got to play together last month. I was sure it was the first warm-up for playing at the R&R HoF ceremony, and that THAT would lead to a tour....GOD DAMN IT.

Like Cardinal Fang, I place Joe Strummer right beside Keith Richards in my pantheon of personal heroes. That night in the Tower Theater changed my life, and there hasn't been anyone come along since then that even comes close.

God damn it.
12-23-02 11:49 AM
Richard Hurrah He changed my life. He was my all time hero.
He's gone but his music will remain. And it will take some time before we understand how important it was...
12-23-02 12:09 PM
sasca R.I.P.
12-23-02 12:18 PM
Highwire Rob Strummer and his mates proved to the world that Punk could be intelligent, socially aware, and articulate as well as powerful, independent, and resistant.

This was an English bloke (born in Ankara, Turkey) whose culturally informed lyrical mind referenced, among many other songs: London dock worker life, passionate Algerian social resistance, Spanish civil war, Vietnamese-American identity, and even nods to punk rockers and workers in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania!

You should have stayed a little longer, Joe.

. . .Bullet holes in the cemetery walls. . .

--Rob.(Pittsburgh, PA)
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-23-02 12:31 PM
wkoetke Wow, all these sentiments about Joe's passing, seeing how much the Clash has affected some of the Stones fans on this board, I feel the need to check out their material. I just missed the band completely, even though I'm 34 and they were big right when I SHOULD have been paying attention to them (my stones obsession has always been a big distraction).

If I only bought one CD by the Clash, which one should it be?

-Walt
12-23-02 12:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot London Calling, Walt.
12-23-02 12:42 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
wkoetke wrote:

If I only bought one CD by the Clash, which one should it be?

-Walt

London Calling.

I got into them late too. Wrongly assumed on basis of Casbah that they were just another new wave band with a cool name. I now realize I didn't fully appreciate Casbah or Combat Rock.

First played London Calling in summer of 1985 after picking up a used vinyl on a whim. Now that is a life changing album! I couldn't believe Guns of Brixton and still can't. Vicious reggae. I must have played that song over and over for weeks. And I still play London Calling at least once a month.

I'd just go buy them all if I were you. There's not many, and they are all great. Essential to any music collection.

We didn't get anywhere near enough material from this incredible band.

Damn!

RIP Joe Strummer
12-23-02 12:43 PM
sasca Followed swiftly by 'The Clash.'
12-23-02 01:22 PM
Nasty Habits 1977.
I hope he goes to heaven.

Wow. This is shocking. I was just listening to the first Clash album on my way downtown today -- Police and Thieves coasted me into work. This is very sad news.

London Calling first, then the Clash, then Super Black Market Clash.

12-23-02 01:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Holy shit! I know many of us had the Clash as one of their ten top bands, he was really young to leave. Fuck!

Check these "Joe Strummer related" threads from our archives

http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/02-15-2002/39970-1.html
http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/02-07-2002/36195-1.html
12-23-02 02:42 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
...and even nods to striking workers in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania!

--Rob.(Pittsburgh, PA)

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you were alive this time of year in 1979 you might be able to relate: when London Calling came out and I heard "Clampdown" - "Workin' hard in Harrisburg! Working hard in Pittsburgh!" I was POSITIVE that Joe was talking to me. Not in a creepy stalker way, but in the personal and powerful form of communication that grooved vinyl is sometimes capable of conveying. I had just gotten involved in a band and we were way into the "New" music - all of us were into different stuff but the one band we all agreed on was the Clash. I remember driving thru an ice storm to my singer's place when he called to say he had the new Clash album; we smoked some Hawaiian and just sat slackjawed as the album's first side played, one incredible song after another, and when it got to "Clampdown" and it referenced the towns we'd been playing in regularly, we took it to mean that we should hang in there and keep playing. (Of course I don't literally believe that now, but we were REALLY stoned!) Then the whole band went to see the Clash live at the Tower Theater; suddenly we knew everything about how one should approach being a band. We copied surface elements - we all got haircuts and new boots right away - but we learned more about internal attitude, saying what you meant and meaning what you say. The Clash really WAS the Only Band That Mattered in 1980. The Stones certainly didn't! And we wanted nothing more than to be the American Clash.

As it transpired, that never came to pass. Those battles were fought and lost a long time ago - but at least they were fought. And Joe Strummer was the guy who taught us all it was worth fighting.
12-23-02 03:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot Fucking right on Flea.
12-23-02 06:52 PM
Gazza Thanks Gerardo for having the foresight to put a pic of Joe on today's header - was gonna e-mail you from work when I heard the news at 10 am this morning, but I see I didnt need to...

I'm fucking devastated by this news. I nearly fell off my chair in work this morning when I heard it. Like several people here - many of whom I thought of immediately because I knew they shared the same passion for The Clash as I do - I grew up listening to the guy's music. I've been a Clash fan for about 24 years and I still have the same enthusiasm for them as I had twenty years ago. They're probably my favourite band after the "Big Two" and for me,the greatest band to have emerged since the 60's...oddly enough I've been listening to a lot of The Clash lately as I was making a compilation CDR for someone whow asn't aware of some of their less publicized material...

I was never a HUGE fan of punk because whilst I understood the attitude,I found most of the lyrics bordering on the moronic. The Clash were much more than that type of band, which is why I always liked them. You'd find very few - if any - bands now with that type of integrity and outspokenness in their lyrics because they'd be too afraid of not selling enough records or pissing off the corporate pigs who have sold 'real' music down the river in recent years.

Kinda ironic that on the same day the UK Christmas number 1 is settled in a race between two manufactured TV bands, the world of 'real' music loses someone of such great artistic vision and one of the greatest songwriters of our generation. I was actually thinking a few days ago of a quote Joe made a few years ago (wishful thinking unfortunately) which went "some day plastic pop will die and rebel rock will rule.."

Thank you for all your tributes. It's a stinker of a story to hear at this time of year for fans of good music everywhere.

Thanks Joe
12-23-02 09:24 PM
FTELE52 I saw the Clash in '79 at the Aragon. I remember the night well...Bo Diddley and the Undertones opened up and then the boys came on. This band was powerful...full of the punk attitude but had talent and songs written with a message. A night I'll never forget. RIP Joe, we'll miss you.

12-23-02 09:30 PM
~AzQb

...this has destroyed me today.

Just fucking in shock.

~
12-23-02 09:43 PM
2120SMA The Clash were the last great Rock & Roll band for me. Joe you will be missed! I'm going to drink a few shots of Jack and put on Exile On Main Street & London Calling. These are my two favorite double albums of all time.

Take care, 2120SMA
12-23-02 11:15 PM
luridchief This really fucking sucks.

Stones are my #1 faves, Clash are close behind.

Rest in peace, Joe!
12-24-02 12:22 PM
Street Fighting Man Saw the Clash in '82 and glad I had the opportunity - They truly "Rock(ed) The Casba!"