ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Goin' South routine... Salón 21, México D.F. August 31, 2001
By Juan Trujillo

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Return to archive
12-22-02 11:37 PM
full moon I really love this album.. I know people give the old "production" thing in regards to the album, but I don't give a flying fuck...I love Continental Drift. A modern Paint It Black sound.. Almost Hear You Sigh is beautiful.. That acoustic guitar...Slipping Away can make a grown man cry.. Keef all the way...Terrifying is nothing like The Stones have ever done and I love it..Hold On To Your Hat, Sad Sad Sad, Can't Be Seen have sweet guitars ... Check it out , man!!!!!!!!!!
12-22-02 11:40 PM
Soul Survivor your right, it aint my favorite album, but it sure as hell aint as bad as people make it sound. there is one song on it i cant stand at all,..........Break The Spell
12-22-02 11:45 PM
full moon Yea, Break The Spell is probably the weakest track.. Although, I love Micks harmonica playing on that track....
12-22-02 11:46 PM
Soul Survivor ya.......

I think "Hold Onto Your Hat" is underated
12-22-02 11:50 PM
full moon I have it with your Yakkety YAK!!! Just kidding of course...
12-22-02 11:51 PM
Highwire Rob I agree with you 100% Full Moon.

The Mixed Emotions song in particular, I can't get over what an appropriate riff it is that Keith creates.

The chords themselves conjure up images of a rolling Steel Wheel train, pistons forward, backward, forward, etc. spinning with a glint of sunlight causing that optical illusion of backward spin.

Parallel that with the motion of his arms/hands over the guitar cranking out the notes like the pistons, forward, then backward sharps. For me, few other guitarists can create such powerful imagery with sound.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-22-02 11:52 PM
full moon Highwire, that was good.. REAL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
12-22-02 11:57 PM
Fiji Joe Kinda had my fill w/ Steel Wheels...but it is better than Dirty Work...i'll give you that
12-23-02 08:28 AM
dealer squealing Steel Wheels is a great album, one of my favorites. Better than VL in my opinion.
12-23-02 09:47 AM
JumpinJackFlash Yeah, I tore down an Engine in the garage listening to that album. It was a break from all them Bob Seger tunes.
12-23-02 10:46 AM
Soul Survivor I am listening to STEEL WHEELS as we speak, and I never realized how terrible TERRIFYING is. Sooo 80ish sounding
12-23-02 04:08 PM
sandrew Hmmm .. "Break the Spell" is, I think, one of the best things on the album. "Terrifying" is a Jagger-Clifford travesty -- a Clagger. Maybe that can be a new term to describe the mess that is Goddess in the Doorway. The most egregious Clagger in history.
12-23-02 04:36 PM
woodywoodpecker I also think break the spell is a great track!
Ronnies guitar in Terrifying is also fantastic love that one.I think perhaps if the singles were added to the album it would be a monster! Wish id never met you/Fancy man blues/cook cook blues.

Great LP IMO.

WOODPECKER
12-23-02 04:48 PM
Soul Survivor oh yea, i love COOK COOK BLUES!
12-23-02 05:56 PM
exile Lets face it "Steel Wheels" is a whole lot better than "bridges to babylon" I think Voodoo lounge is the best album they have done lately since the excellent black and blue and tattoo you

I think "Love is strong was an excellent song also "Out of tears is great" but also there are a lot of not so great songs on Voodoo

i rencently heARD "continental drift" again and was surprised to hear how good i thought it was ...I remember at the time just wanting to hear good old keith riffs and hated it but now its the opposite

Bridges to babylon wasnt a good album i dont think "flip the switch" annoys me although "saint of me" and "anybody seen my baby..."are both great
12-23-02 07:10 PM
mandrack Totaly agree.Surely better than VL.
Love that period-after long bad time for Stones-when everybody thought that the Stones are history, they came back and blew everybody.
Always loved Blinded by love
12-23-02 08:30 PM
BILL PERKS ALBUM IS GREAT EXCEPT ROCK AND A HARD PLACE-MATT CLIFFORD INFLUENCED DRIVEL AFTER THE OPENING RIFF.FANCY MAN BLUES IS OUTSTANDING
12-23-02 09:01 PM
full moon Soulie, I really like Terrifying....The jangly guitars are nice..
12-23-02 10:20 PM
exile No I Think Voodoo lounge was better than Steel Wheels for sure ....but both of them were better than "Bridges"
12-24-02 12:27 AM
Soul Survivor i like Bridges. In Fact, this is my order

1. Bridges
2. VL
3. wheels
12-24-02 12:37 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
i like Bridges. In Fact, this is my order

1. Bridges
2. VL
3. wheels

Mine too... and, actually, Keith's.

Voodoo Lounge has too many songs - they coulda cut "Brand New Car", "New Faces" and "Moon Is Up" and it would have been a much stronger album. Plus, apparently with all the boots floating around from that era, there's a plethora of songs that're better that weren't finished but abandoned in favor of some of the weaker tracks ("Suck On The Jugular", which sounds unfinished, "Blinded By Rainbows", which sounds forced, and "Out Of Tears", which sounds overproduced).

Steel Wheels just sounds too slick, too overproduced. There are a few great tracks, "Sad Sad Sad" being the best of the bunch. I don't like "Almost Hear You Sigh" at all. Too commercial. Not even close to "Wild Horses" or "Angie" or even "Always Suffering", which is its closest companion. I like "Break The Spell" - sounds like a strange combination of the good nasty harmonica on Dirty Work with a stripped-down feeling. "Continental Drift"s OK. So're "Can't Be Seen" and "Slipping Away" ("Slipping" sounds much much better live). "Mixed Emotions" is great... but that's it. "Sad Sad Sad" and "Mixed Emotions" are the only two staples from that album.

Don't even get me started about "Rock And A Hard Place". Travesty!

-tSYX --- I-ah-ah-ahi... I just can't be seen with you...
12-24-02 12:44 AM
Soul Survivor people put down Bridges, but:

Flip The Switch, Low Down, Already Over Me, Gunface, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, You Don't Have To Mean It, Too Tight

What more could you want?
12-24-02 12:49 AM
midnightmagic test
12-24-02 12:50 AM
Soul Survivor nice