ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Goin' South routine... Salón 21, México D.F. August 31, 2001
By Juan Trujillo

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SACD from ABCKO Return to archive
12-18-02 05:37 PM
L&A I just received the promotional remastered SA-CD: fantastic. We are back with the good warm sound of our old LP's, but better (even on a standard CD-player). Midnight Rambler from Ya-ya's, maybe one of the greatest moments in music history from JC till today, is now close to perfection. Amen
12-20-02 01:23 PM
Jacques That's what I heard before but I'm surprised because SACD is a great different technology, so we loose a large part of interest on standard player. Don't you think ?
12-20-02 07:45 PM
Stonesprofessor I am assuming you two are from Europe, where the remasters are just now being released[?]....Even on a regular CD player these discs ROCK!!! This is due in part to a new way of encoding from from analog sources [the DSR logo youll see on these packages...]12X5 is a MUST-due to the REAL stereo versions of the Chicago material,PLUS they gave us a treat and included the LONG version of 2120 South Michigan Avenue..Aftermath, Buttons, LIB, Beggars, even Satanic Majesties is improved 1000% on these releases..These are the first CDs of 'old' material Ive ever heard where you get that 'warmth' that vinyl has, and CDs don't...
12-21-02 03:42 PM
mikecooper SACD is a great format but DVD audio is about the same it will be a big fight to see what will survive. Can you say Beta vs VHS?? Yep Beta was and still is a better format but didnt work. DVD Audio has Dark Side of the moon if March coming out. The nice part is with DVD audio any DVD player will work. For SACD's you have to have a SACD to get 5.1. there are some players that do both.
12-21-02 08:44 PM
full moon Not all dvd players support DVD A ....
12-22-02 06:12 PM
mikecooper as a matter of fact ALL DVD players DO play DVD audio DVD's! the only kicker is if it will be in 5.1 or not.
[Edited by mikecooper]
12-22-02 07:00 PM
full moon Actually, you are wrong.. Because I have a Toshiba dvd player that does NOT play dvd a.. So, actually I know first hand..
12-23-02 03:42 AM
L&A You're right, Jacques, but one reason of that quality is also because the guys who worked on it did a great job in collecting all the original recording material, which seems to be very badly archived. I heard an interview of Alan Klein's son about his difficulties to find all the tapes back. Yet another difference between the Beatles - all Beatles-material is since a long time archived - and the Stones...
12-23-02 04:30 PM
mikecooper i have the toshiba 3109 and have yet to try it out, but i plan to and the only reason why i posted that all dvd players play dvd-a is because i read over at the digital bits, they are say all dvd players will play them and from the main menu select 2.0, but the will not play 5.1. for that your player has to be able to play dvd-a. weird?? thats ok most of the SACD's are in 2.0 as well so go figure.

I think we will see dvd audio take off when Dark Side Of The Moon comes out in early 2003!

FULL MOON here is a link for you

http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com/about/index.html#five

Can I play DVD-Audio discs on a current DVD-Video player?
All DVD-Audio releases from the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic family of labels are DVD Video-compatible because they contain a Dolby Digital surround sound mix.

wow are you using your DVD player right??
that from the DVD AUDIO homepages FAQ's

more info here

http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com/main.html

good luck!

[Edited by mikecooper]