ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cricket header Return to archive
December 21st, 2004 08:09 AM
caro Gosh Voodoo, once again, the header made my day! Love all the guys in white costume around them. Was that pic taken in England? (an elegant way to avoid asking the dumb & ignorant question : does cricket exist anywhere else than in England?)
December 21st, 2004 08:31 AM
Zeeta
quote:
caro wrote:
Gosh Voodoo, once again, the header made my day! Love all the guys in white costume around them. Was that pic taken in England? (an elegant way to avoid asking the dumb & ignorant question : does cricket exist anywhere else than in England?)

very ignorant!

It's HUGE in Australia, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, India and numerous other places. Cricket is ace - but only if you understand it. However, I do enjoy going to a game in the summer drinking 18 pints and not knowing what the fuck went on!

December 21st, 2004 08:42 AM
Gazza International test cricket is played in 10 countries

England, India, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe

and also at a lesser level in other countries who would compete in the World Cup but dont play test cricket

so, with those ten you're talking about it being a big sport in countries with a total population of about one and a half BILLION people.

Its only played in England from about May to September, and England's home test matches are held during the summer - in the winter the England team tour overseas (theyre currently in South Africa and have just finished a (shameful IMO) visit to Zimbabwe).

I think Australia were the overseas side who toured England in 1972, so in that case they would have been the opposition in that match Mick is watching.
December 21st, 2004 09:10 AM
caro Ok. I need to find a British pub here that has cricket matches on TV -- I've already been more or less converted to rugby that way!
December 21st, 2004 09:17 AM
Gazza start with the one-day cricket. Its more exciting and easier to appreciate for the newcomer than the 5-day stuff!
December 21st, 2004 09:23 AM
nankerphelge That is a great pic -- the two of them contrasted to the guy behind Bobby is hysterical!
December 21st, 2004 09:41 AM
Riffhard I was laughing about that exact thing Nanky! Very funny thought. Also the thought of a pure down home Texas whiteboy like Bobby trying in vain to understand the most British of games! Mick desperatly trying to explain the game to someone who clearly could give a shit.

Riffhard
December 21st, 2004 11:26 AM
jb
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
That is a great pic -- the two of them contrasted to the guy behind Bobby is hysterical!

Very interesting contrast....
December 21st, 2004 02:06 PM
glencar Bobby has the look of a management trainee trying to get through something just to please the boss. And we all know Jagger is The Boss.
December 21st, 2004 02:11 PM
LadyJane Mick looks hot! Love the hair!

LJ.
December 21st, 2004 02:13 PM
glencar Those are some big-ass sunglasses.
December 21st, 2004 02:15 PM
gypsy
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

very ignorant!

It's HUGE in Australia, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, India and numerous other places. Cricket is ace - but only if you understand it. However, I do enjoy going to a game in the summer drinking 18 pints and not knowing what the fuck went on!

That's not an ignorant question. She honestly didn't know how popular the game is in other countries. I didn't know either until you replied.
December 21st, 2004 02:17 PM
gypsy
quote:
caro wrote:
Gosh Voodoo, once again, the header made my day! Love all the guys in white costume around them. Was that pic taken in England? (an elegant way to avoid asking the dumb & ignorant question : does cricket exist anywhere else than in England?)

Do monster truck shows and/or tractor pulls exist in Europe?
December 21st, 2004 02:17 PM
glencar Caro has been through a lot lately. She has made me rethink some previously-held notions about Germans & their current state.
December 21st, 2004 02:31 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Caro has been through a lot lately. She has made me rethink some previously-held notions about Germans & their current state.

caro is my friend and a very intelligent young lady. I stuck up for her in the post above the recent one (which is meant to be goofy).
December 21st, 2004 02:35 PM
jb It's an interesting contrast in terms of the "old guard" vs. the new "new" generation...very interesting particularly at that time period....very good find nanker...
December 21st, 2004 02:41 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
jb wrote:
It's an interesting contrast in terms of the "old guard" vs. the new "new" generation...very interesting particularly at that time period....very good find nanker...

Since we are on the topic of sports...

Nice 4th and 10 conversion by your boys, jb! I believe that Brady thinks he's invincible -- just because you complete a pass from you ass once doesn't mean it's going to happen again!
December 21st, 2004 02:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:

Since we are on the topic of sports...

Nice 4th and 10 conversion by your boys, jb! I believe that Brady thinks he's invincible -- just because you complete a pass from you ass once doesn't mean it's going to happen again!

That was a great game. Congrats Josh & Co. Miami will be back in the mix next year.

December 21st, 2004 02:47 PM
jb Indeed...he single-handely gave us that game....the bad news is we are probably going to lose our #1 draft pick.
December 21st, 2004 02:48 PM
Fiji Joe
Invincible?...No...Dreamy?...Heck yeah!
December 21st, 2004 02:52 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Invincible?...No...Dreamy?...Heck yeah!

December 21st, 2004 03:33 PM
moy based on the expressions seems that cricket is more boring that a barry manilow show
December 21st, 2004 03:50 PM
glencar gypsy, I too like caro. She's smarter than I first thought. She should post here incessantly.
December 21st, 2004 03:51 PM
glencar moy, any time Barry does "Copacabana" in that whiz bang style, I get all verklempt.
December 21st, 2004 04:22 PM
Back Street Girl Talking of Cricket......

England seal record-breaking win
First Test, Port Elizabeth:
England 425 & 145-3 beat South Africa 337 & 229 by seven wickets

England completed an unprecedented eighth successive Test victory with a seven-wicket win in the series-opener against South Africa.

Needing just 49 more runs when they resumed on the fifth morning in Port Elizabeth, they took just 35 minutes.

First innings centurion Andrew Strauss hit an unbeaten 94, his 12th boundary taking England past the 142 needed.

Graham Thorpe allowed the younger batsman to lead the way but contributed a patient 31 from 78 deliveries.

By whitewashing New Zealand and West Indies at home last summer, Michael Vaughan's men emulated the England team of 1928-29 in winning seven Tests in a row.

MOST SUCCESSIVE TEST WINS
16 - Australia
Oct 1999 to March 2001
11 - West Indies
April to Dec 1984
9 - South Africa
March 2002 to May 2003
9 - Sri Lanka
Sept 2001 to March 2002
8 - Australia
Dec 1920 to July 1921
8 - England
May to Dec 2004
The victory broke new ground for England, but they would need to double the length of the run to equal Australia's world record of 16 consecutive successes.

Set 142 to win, Strauss and Thorpe had done the bulk of the work on Monday, lifting the tourists from 50-3.

In overcast conditions on day five, Strauss brought up the England 100, and the 50 partnership, in the second over of the day, nudging Shaun Pollock off his hip for four.

And the left-hander banished any thoughts of a patient plod towards victory - or South Africa's lingering hopes of revival - with a hooked six off debutant Dale Steyn.

As usual with this side, when the going got tough England got going

Thorpe took his usual low-key approach, with particular attention to the part-time off-spin of South Africa captain Graeme Smith.

The tourists have just four days off before getting an opportunity to extend their streak in the Boxing Day Test in Durban.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Africa: G Smith (captain), AB de Villiers, J Rudolph, J Kallis, B Dippenaar, Z de Bruyn, A Hall, S Pollock, T Tsolekile (wk), M Ntini, D Steyn.

England: M Vaughan (captain), M Trescothick, A Strauss, M Butcher, G Thorpe, A Flintoff, G Jones (wk), A Giles, S Jones, M Hoggard, S Harmison.

December 21st, 2004 06:31 PM
Soldatti Mick looks very similar to now, at least his face didn't change too much.
December 21st, 2004 06:58 PM
stonedinaustralia cricket is the greatest game of them all - nothing like it

it does have a long history in the USA - see:

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/MAY/153034_USA_24MAY2004.html

also one of the greatest batsmen of all time, like one the greatest rock and rollers of all time, is named Richards

this is Viv from the west indies

December 22nd, 2004 04:52 AM
Zeeta
quote:
gypsy wrote:

That's not an ignorant question. She honestly didn't know how popular the game is in other countries. I didn't know either until you replied.

Was tounge in cheek girl - Caro is cool.

"I didn't know either until you replied."

Well you know now! As my dad used to say!

Yes SIA Viv Richards is a legend! As well as WG Grace the original player!
V
V
V

Now this would be a good cricket match to play tho!!

December 22nd, 2004 07:46 AM
thejuf
If I am not mistaken, this was taken at a cricketmatch in '96

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood