ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why is Bill Perks hated? (Or, IS HE?) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
December 17th, 2004 10:44 AM
telecaster
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Best fight I ever saw was Mancini v. Kim. I remember in about 3rd round I was thinking "One of these guys is going to die." What a fight, although tragic.

Yeah, boxing has gone belly up. I've barely kept track of it for the last decade or so.

Moonie I was watching that also. I remember thinking the same thing. Wasn't that in Vegas? 120 degrees in the shade

Rocky Marciano is the all time best

Only undefeated heavyweight in history my friends

54-0
December 17th, 2004 10:44 AM
Maxlugar Ali for sure is my favorite.

Larry Holmes was just incredible in his prime too. Most of his prime was spent as Ali's sparring partner too. He could have achieved a lot more.

As far as great fights, I agree with all that have been mentioned here. I'd like to add the Mercer vs Morrison fight. Mercer looked like he had killed Morrison at the end of one of the most vicious beatings I have ever seen. Morrison was clearly out cold but the ropes were holding him up. Mercer just kept on smashing him as his rag doll body would jolt from side to side.

Ahh...good times.

December 17th, 2004 12:14 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:

Mike "Hebrew Hammer" Rossman
I REMEMBER THAT JEW FIGHTIN THE NIGHT OF ALI- SPINKS II.HE WAS FROM NEW JEWSEY.HEY JOSH-IF YOU WANNA KNOW WHY PEOPLE HATE JEWS WATCH "FULL COURT MIRACLE" ON THE DISNEY CHANNEL.THAT MOVIE EVEN MADE MY KIDS HATE JEWS.

December 17th, 2004 12:21 PM
jb http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/childrens_television/107127
December 17th, 2004 12:29 PM
gypsy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Ali for sure is my favorite.

Larry Holmes was just incredible in his prime too. Most of his prime was spent as Ali's sparring partner too. He could have achieved a lot more.

As far as great fights, I agree with all that have been mentioned here. I'd like to add the Mercer vs Morrison fight. Mercer looked like he had killed Morrison at the end of one of the most vicious beatings I have ever seen. Morrison was clearly out cold but the ropes were holding him up. Mercer just kept on smashing him as his rag doll body would jolt from side to side.

Ahh...good times.

Maxy, I have photos of my Dad with Mercer and Morrison from way back. I'll have to scan them for you guys some time.
December 17th, 2004 03:34 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
Ali
Frazier
Norton
Sugar Ray Leonard
Duran
Danny "Little Red" Lopez
Quarry brothers for pure guts
Mike "Hebrew Hammer" Rossman
Hagler
Hearns
Aaron "The hawk" Pryor before drugs got him
Wilfred Benitez
Michael Spinks
Bob Foster

Donny Lalonde
Renaldo Snipes
Clubber Lang
Mark Breland
Barry McGuigan
Tex Cobb
Dwight Muhammed Qawi (formerly Braxton)
Howard Davis
Alexis Arguello
Gerrie Coetzee
December 17th, 2004 03:36 PM
jb Loved Howard davis in the Olympics, but didn't stay on top too long as a pro....Mark Breland was another big disappointemnt.
December 17th, 2004 03:39 PM
telecaster Leon Spinks was a bouncer in Chicago after his final fight

My buddy asked him for his autograph

Leon: What is your name

My buddy: Phil

Leon: Ok

Leon rights out "To Sil"

No joke

Leon ain't got no teefus either
December 17th, 2004 04:08 PM
sammy davis jr. Gypsy.....you are a goddess. A woman who loves boxing- a rarety indeed. My wife thinks I'm nuts when I watch the fights. I don't watch them to see someone get hurt, but I love watching a fight progress and see one or both fighters figure the other out. My favorite fight has to be when Buster Douglass KO'd Tyson in Tokyo. I've never seen a better fight tactically. It's a great sport, and while it seems rife with corruption, good fights are still to be had.
December 17th, 2004 04:16 PM
gypsy
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Gypsy.....you are a goddess. A woman who loves boxing- a rarety indeed. My wife thinks I'm nuts when I watch the fights. I don't watch them to see someone get hurt, but I love watching a fight progress and see one or both fighters figure the other out. My favorite fight has to be when Buster Douglass KO'd Tyson in Tokyo. I've never seen a better fight tactically. It's a great sport, and while it seems rife with corruption, good fights are still to be had.

Thanks, that's so sweet. My boyfriend gets mad when I watch boxing. He also got mad when I boxed in a big exhibition at OU for Anita Hill and the National Organization for Women (they called me and asked...I thought it would be fun). I fought an old friend of mine, Scott Mincy, who was a four-time middle-heavyweight kickboxer. Kickboxing isn't my thing. But we trained really hard and put on a good exhibition about self-defense. I gave my boyfriend the camcorder, and he did not film it. He just sat there with his mouth wide open. I asked him why he didn't film it. He said "A man was beating you up!" Which was true...because he did turn into a complete show-off during the exhibition. It was nothing like our sparring. But I took the beating like a man! ha! But I do have some videotapes from when I got to be on the local news, which was fun!
I'd like to see boxing make a comeback. There are so many good amateurs out there that could go pro.
Thanks again!
December 17th, 2004 04:28 PM
telecaster gypsy stay away from boxing.

I think you should focus more on the girl on girl
hot oil bikini wrestling

I guarantee the boyfriend will turn the camera on

[Edited by telecaster]
December 17th, 2004 04:31 PM
gypsy
quote:
telecaster wrote:
gypsy stay away from boxing

I think you should focus more on the girl on girl
hot oil bikini wrestling

I guarantee the boyfried will turn the camera on

I don't. But I do keep up the training on all of the boxing equipment...because equipment can't hit you back.

Oh! And the oil wrestling was not a hit with the boyfriend...he wouldn't talk to me for days.
December 17th, 2004 04:32 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

Jews don't box !!!!

...they grab another guy and say , " Here's five hundred dollars -- YOU go fight ! "

" That works well in ALL your major Wars too , Ronnie ! "

Sassy Rickles ! �
December 17th, 2004 04:34 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Jews don't box !!!!

...they grab another guy and say , " Here's five hundred dollars -- YOU go fight ! "

" That works well in ALL your major Wars too , Ronnie ! "

Sassy Rickles ! �

CA-RACK!

You are on a roll, joey...keep it up, and I predict that "Cafe Hostess Jill" will become a contortionist tonight...just for you.
December 17th, 2004 05:34 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

CA-RACK!

You are on a roll, joey...keep it up, and I predict that "Cafe Hostess Jill" will become a contortionist tonight...just for you.

I would like to nibble your elbows .
December 18th, 2004 07:01 AM
Navin Dear BILL PERKS,

I believe that the 'Dirty Work' album is the greatest album ever made (if not the Stones best yet), am a big fan of David Lee Roth (one of my ambitions is to read his autobiography - if I can find a copy in this lifetime), and have no opinion about Mellencamp or those that type in ALL CAPS or anyone else......But do I have a chance to be one among the legendary IDIOT List?
December 18th, 2004 09:29 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Navin wrote:
Dear BILL PERKS,

I believe that the 'Dirty Work' album is the greatest album ever made (if not the Stones best yet), am a big fan of David Lee Roth (one of my ambitions is to read his autobiography - if I can find a copy in this lifetime), and have no opinion about Mellencamp or those that type in ALL CAPS or anyone else......But do I have a chance to be one among the legendary IDIOT List?

NO ,NO CHANCE-I HAVE AN EXTRA COPY OF DLR'S BOOK IF YOU WANT IT
December 18th, 2004 11:19 AM
Sir Stonesalot I boxed while in the Army. It was fun, but I wasn't very good at it. My problem was that I always ended up getting mad. Then instead of boxing, I started fighting...two completely different things. Fighting isn't always a good thing in a boxing ring. Especially when you are the only white guy in a sea of dark faces.

I did knock a guy out cold with one punch once while in the ring. That Air Force mook zigged when he shoulda zagged. KO in 6 seconds. I always thought that was kinda cool.

I do not hate BILL PERKS. He's funny. And JB hates him...so he's gotta be doing something right.

Gypsy, I would video you any time, any place, doing whatever you please. The boyfriend was being a twat.
December 18th, 2004 12:00 PM
F505
quote:
Navin wrote:
Dear BILL PERKS,

Maybe you both should be put on a DIRTY list.
December 18th, 2004 04:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Rocky Marciano is the all time best

Only undefeated heavyweight in history my friends

54-0

49-0 !!
December 18th, 2004 04:10 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

49-0 !!

I stand corrected Gazza.

Notice the KO ratio

http://www.rockymarciano.com/record.htm

Still the ONLY undefeated heavyweight in history

Fucking Irish.
December 18th, 2004 04:57 PM
gypsy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I boxed while in the Army. It was fun, but I wasn't very good at it. My problem was that I always ended up getting mad. Then instead of boxing, I started fighting...two completely different things. Fighting isn't always a good thing in a boxing ring. Especially when you are the only white guy in a sea of dark faces.

I did knock a guy out cold with one punch once while in the ring. That Air Force mook zigged when he shoulda zagged. KO in 6 seconds. I always thought that was kinda cool.

I do not hate BILL PERKS. He's funny. And JB hates him...so he's gotta be doing something right.

Gypsy, I would video you any time, any place, doing whatever you please. The boyfriend was being a twat.

That's cool, SS. I always found it difficult to spar (I would spar w/ teenage boys who were closer to my size) because I liked those boys...and it's weird having to punch people when you're not mad--at first. It seemed like we'd always start off just punching each other lightly...then one of us would nail the other one (unintentionally or intentionally, I don't quite know)...then all hell would break loose. It's quite an adrenaline rush...I couldn't wait to get out of school and head to the gym to go spar. It is so much fun. I'm sad that I can't do it anymore.
When we have our RO gathering next year, I'll show you this little combo that works like a charm. This old-timer taught me it one day, and it's never failed. It also works well in street fights.

I like BILL PERKS. He's nice and he's funny. Yes, jb hates him--which makes me like him even more!

Yeah, the boyfriend is a twat. If I ever have kids, I would have loved for them to see that video that never was.
December 19th, 2004 10:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I stand corrected Gazza.

Notice the KO ratio

http://www.rockymarciano.com/record.htm

Still the ONLY undefeated heavyweight in history

Fucking Irish.

LOL
December 19th, 2004 05:17 PM
glencar Tyson killed boxing? Wasn't he its great "white" hope at one point?
December 19th, 2004 06:48 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
Tyson killed boxing?

i'm a fight fan too - i thought tyson was a great fighter and pushed the "art of boxing" to a new level- unfortunately he didn't have the brains to handle his own greatness - such a waste

personally, i think Don King has killed boxing as well as playing a big part in the fall of tyson

lennox lewis was excellent too - pity he's now retired

also one of the great fighters outside the heavyweight division in the last 25 years has been australia's jeff fenech - from memory he simulatenously held the world title in three different divisions for some time
December 19th, 2004 07:33 PM
Gazza >i'm a fight fan too - i thought tyson was a great fighter and pushed the "art of boxing" to a new level- unfortunately he didn't have the brains to handle his own greatness - such a waste

Larry Holmes saw it earlier than most. Around the time Tyson beat him (when Tyson was still only 21), he predicted Tyson would either be dead or in jail before he was 30.

>personally, i think Don King has killed boxing as well as playing a big part in the fall of tyson

Agree 100%.

>lennox lewis was excellent too - pity he's now retired

yep

>also one of the great fighters outside the heavyweight division in the last 25 years has been australia's jeff fenech - from memory he simulatenously held the world title in three different divisions for some time

Fenech was brilliant. Used to love watching him. He did win 3 world titles, but wouldnt have held them all simultaneously (when you win a title in a higher weight class, you're obliged to vacate one of them. Only Henry Armstrong held three at once but that was over 60 years ago. Different set of rules then I suppose.)

Fenech's first fight with Azumah Nelson was a cracker.
December 20th, 2004 03:57 AM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>i'm a fight fan too - i thought tyson was a great fighter and pushed the "art of boxing" to a new level- unfortunately he didn't have the brains to handle his own greatness - such a waste

Larry Holmes saw it earlier than most. Around the time Tyson beat him (when Tyson was still only 21), he predicted Tyson would either be dead or in jail before he was 30.

>personally, i think Don King has killed boxing as well as playing a big part in the fall of tyson

Agree 100%.

>lennox lewis was excellent too - pity he's now retired

yep

>also one of the great fighters outside the heavyweight division in the last 25 years has been australia's jeff fenech - from memory he simulatenously held the world title in three different divisions for some time

Fenech was brilliant. Used to love watching him. He did win 3 world titles, but wouldnt have held them all simultaneously (when you win a title in a higher weight class, you're obliged to vacate one of them. Only Henry Armstrong held three at once but that was over 60 years ago. Different set of rules then I suppose.)

Fenech's first fight with Azumah Nelson was a cracker.

I'll bring all my boxing gear to the RO Gathering next year, and we'll hold a tournament. But it won't be one of those trashy "Tough Man" contests.
December 20th, 2004 10:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy...

Count me out. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Now, you wanna go 15 rounds in the bedroom, I'll go toe to toe with ya, and give as good as I get...but I ain't fightin'.
December 20th, 2004 10:36 AM
J.J.Flash I really like George Foreman...... unfortunately selling that stupid grill nowadays.........what a shame....
December 20th, 2004 10:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
I really like George Foreman...... unfortunately selling that stupid grill nowadays.........what a shame....

Hey that grill is OK! I got 2 of 'em.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood