ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bono's Campaigning Is Slammed By American Writer Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 21st, 2005 09:22 AM
Jumacfly Hi my dear Joey!

we got a special marriage to celebrate today in europe...
guess who get married??
December 21st, 2005 09:33 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Hi my dear Joey!

we got a special marriage to celebrate today in europe...
guess who get married??

Pete Townshend ?!?!

December 21st, 2005 12:44 PM
PeerQueer [quote]Gazza wrote:

Many Stones fans are incredibly insecure about this 'worlds biggest rock band' tag. Anyone who sells more records, gets more press, appeals more than the Stones do to a new generation or sells anywhere near as many concert tickets is a 'threat' - The laughable obsession with hating the Beatles even after all this time is proof of that. I mean, what year is this - 1964?

personally I reckon they should devote more of their angst to being ripped off by their own favourite band who seem to give less of a shit about their art and legacy with every succeeding year.

You are right on Gazza. I love the Stones, and can afford to see them live several times - and enjoy it each and every time, but U2 is clearly the biggest band on the planet right now - and has been for over a decade.

And to see U2 in Dublin - - - man, that is an incredible thing. Folks who slag U2 have likely never seen them live - they are a great great band - one of very few groups who can go toe-to-toe with the Stones live.

The fact the have remained relevant and commercially viable since the early 80's is remarkable - not even the Stones had that kind of run. A new U2 album is an event - a new Stones album, well, only the die-hards seem to really care anymore.

I wish that wasn't the case, but it simply is.

December 21st, 2005 12:53 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
[quote]Gazza wrote:

Many Stones fans are incredibly insecure about this 'worlds biggest rock band' tag. Anyone who sells more records, gets more press, appeals more than the Stones do to a new generation or sells anywhere near as many concert tickets is a 'threat' - The laughable obsession with hating the Beatles even after all this time is proof of that. I mean, what year is this - 1964?

personally I reckon they should devote more of their angst to being ripped off by their own favourite band who seem to give less of a shit about their art and legacy with every succeeding year.

You are right on Gazza. I love the Stones, and can afford to see them live several times - and enjoy it each and every time, but U2 is clearly the biggest band on the planet right now - and has been for over a decade.

And to see U2 in Dublin - - - man, that is an incredible thing. Folks who slag U2 have likely never seen them live - they are a great great band - one of very few groups who can go toe-to-toe with the Stones live.

The fact the have remained relevant and commercially viable since the early 80's is remarkable - not even the Stones had that kind of run. A new U2 album is an event - a new Stones album, well, only the die-hards seem to really care anymore.

I wish that wasn't the case, but it simply is.

Fuck off..the Stones have had a 40 year plus run...YOu make me sick ..
December 21st, 2005 12:58 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
jb wrote:
About time someone exposed this ass............

jb, trust a Stones fan forum to turn the only anti-Bono thread on here into blind U2 praise in a matter of one page. We don't deserve to have the Stones legacy preserved. We deserve to be forgotten in a decade. Then maybe some people will finally stop bitching about ticket prices and see the big picture.
December 21st, 2005 01:28 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

jb, trust a Stones fan forum to turn the only anti-Bono thread on here into blind U2 praise in a matter of one page. We don't deserve to have the Stones legacy preserved. We deserve to be forgotten in a decade. Then maybe some people will finally stop bitching about ticket prices and see the big picture.

I like your style....I dont know how much more humiliation I can take!!
December 21st, 2005 01:30 PM
jb
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

YOu got that right..I come to these boards to hear my band being praised, not some fucking piece of shit band that the public is too stupid to recognize.
December 21st, 2005 01:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

YOu got that right..I come to these boards to hear my band being praised, not some fucking piece of shit band that the public is too stupid to recognize.

Sadly, we may have to make the Transition after the tour is over.
December 21st, 2005 01:45 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, we may have to make the Transition after the tour is over.

December 21st, 2005 01:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

[Edited by voodoopug]
December 21st, 2005 02:29 PM
texile
quote:
Poplar wrote:

U2 has ALWAYS been about politics, and anyone who wants to
Myself, i think bono is something of a cheap, 21st century saint. He's trying to do something psoitive and uplifting with a rock status on par with that of the Stones. Anyone who has seen them live knows what i'm talking about. I think it's pretty cool, and I hope he (and the band) keep doing what they're doing.

for the life of me, I can't understand the animosity U2 generates on this board. There are so many other bands worth directing that negative energy towards.

Joshua Tree for chrissake!

i love the political activist nature of early u2 - it got me motivated and turned me on to something outside my little texas town....
i admire bono for giving a shit and trying to do something...
but throwing money is not going to do a damn thing about african poverty...
theroux makes an argument many have brought up in regard to the bono/geldof brigade -
and this clique has never acknowledged these questions....
if bono is really concerned about true activism - he would listen to other voices ....
but he doesn't - he acts like a cocky rock star on a roll with the establishment....
he needs to examine his methods and the repercussions of his actions and ...
bono needs to realize it isn't about him - but his misguided "answers" to the world's problems....
it isn't enough to CARE - things are more complicated than that but easy gestures (gates)are alot easier digest for the masses.

December 21st, 2005 05:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

the "only anti Bono thread"? Theres a fucking new one every day, it seems.

No, the 'big picture' as you describe it is that the Stones used to be a rock n roll band more than anything else up until about 7 or 8 years ago when they somehow transformed into a multi-national that occasionally made records but who were more obsessed with the pointless accumulation of wealth at the expense of a fanbase which had made them what they are.

The notion that you can like another band and NOT appreciate the Stones' music at the same time is as fucking laughable as it is pathetic (its quite a simple logic. If U2 werent commercially successful, no one would give a shit enough to get uptight at the very mention of their name) And the notion that the Stones are beyond criticism from the fans they've exploited shamelessly for years is even more insulting.

I dont need to be preached at by anyone about being a Stones fan. I've followed the fuckers around the world several times over the last two decades and accrued debts that will take me years to pay off in doing so. So, I think I've earned the right as a customer (because thats really what the band see me as, nothing more) to 'bitch' about ticket prices and anything else I choose to.

Loyalty and respect works both ways. If they treat ME with some of that they'll get more of it in return

Trust me, as someone prone to bitching about several different issues regarding the Stones, I do so because I do care more about how they'll be remembered in ten or twenty years time than most people do. Including the band themselves from what I can see. (Any band who cares about their work would have at least listened to Live Licks first before allowing it to be released with that appalling mess on 'Rocks off'. Similarly they wouldnt have authorised a Rarities album replete with numerous non-rarities and sleevenotes that an autistic baboon could have researched better). That strikes me as a band who doesnt give a shit anymore about quality control. If a band's "raison d'etre" seems to be making lots of cash and success is solely judged by being the top grossing tour of the year at all costs, then thats a pretty shallow and hollow reason for their existence.

PS : for the record, as good a live band as U2 are, theyre not on the same level as the Stones and never will be. Even having seen them in Dublin and elsewhere. They're a very good band who happen to shine in a generation of mediocrity.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 21st, 2005 05:07 PM
Joey " .. not some fucking piece of shit band that the public is too stupid to recognize."

J. " Sniggles " Fly !
December 21st, 2005 05:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

praised?

arent you're the same guy who hates the new album (have you bought it yet), who thinks the band has been shit since 1981, who refers to Ronnie Wood as a "wanker who should have been terminated in 1981" and Keith as a "fucking embarrassment" ?

Fuck me, I cant wait until you get dissatisfied!
December 21st, 2005 06:31 PM
Soldatti Let's see how many copies could sell the new U2 album in 2023 and then we talk.
U2 now is on the same file time that the Stones in 1989-90 and both, the Steel Wheels tour and album, were smash hits.
December 21st, 2005 06:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Let's see how many copies could sell the new U2 album in 2023 and then we talk.
U2 now is on the same file time that the Stones in 1989-90 and both, the Steel Wheels tour and album, were smash hits.

in fairness, who cares about record sales. Public taste and popularity is not a measure of greatness

(besides, you would hardly regard Steel Wheels as anywhere near the zenith of the Stones' career, would you?)

Compare Garth Brooks' record sales to Bob Dylan's..or even the Stones for that matter. he's sold more than both - but he's almost forgotten already and will be merely a footnote in the history of popular music.

With respect, you're proving my point, which is that its meaningless for some Stones fans to become so obsessed with another band. No one's seriously comparing U2's 'greatness' to that of the Stones at their peak. The Stones' own lack of concern for their own legacy is something that's more important than some meaningless 'my dick's bigger than your dick'-like competitiveness with another artist
[Edited by Gazza]
December 21st, 2005 06:53 PM
glencar Championship posting, Gazza! U2 is the world's top band right now & Bono does good with his various efforts at helping the poor of Africa. Praising U2/Bono doesn't actually detract from the Stones/Mick.
December 21st, 2005 06:58 PM
Gazza Thank you

a band as monumentally great as the Stones shouldnt feel the need to lower themselves to competing with other artists. They've proved how great they are for decades.

Their fans shouldnt feel so insecure about their band for the same reason.

Let the music do the talking, not the concert grosses.
December 21st, 2005 06:58 PM
Soldatti Gazza, I say that U2 is very popular now as the Stones were on 1989-90. I like U2, they have 3-4 really great albums and I will see them here, but they're very overrated now, especially by the lack of real competition, the Stones are too old to care, other top bands as Coldplay are U2's wannabe.
December 21st, 2005 06:59 PM
glencar I think the mistake of some is that they treat this as a zero sum game; if the Stones are less popular, it must be due to U2. Time to grow up, boys.
December 21st, 2005 08:00 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Let's see how many copies could sell the new U2 album in 2023 and then we talk.

_____

Steel Wheels sold about 2 million in the U.S. and about 5 million worldwide.

U2's latest sold over 4 million in the U.S. and over 12 million worldwide.

It would appear U2 now is in fact far beyond what the Stones were in 1989-1990.

That being said, they are both great bands. The Stones are far more influential, and therefor, more important, than U2 will likely ever be.

I will continue to see both bands and buy their albums for as long as they are willing to allow me that opportunity.

December 21st, 2005 08:01 PM
glencar There are many more people with money today than in 1989, thanks to globalization.
December 21st, 2005 08:28 PM
corgi37 What the world needs is the novel "Catcher in the rye" to be distributed to every nutcase in cities where U2 tour, then provide them with a gun.

As with Lennon - problem solved.

I thank you. (bows).
December 21st, 2005 09:02 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think the mistake of some is that they treat this as a zero sum game; if the Stones are less popular, it must be due to U2. Time to grow up, boys.

You love U2!!!!!!!!!! I am disappopinted in you..........
December 21st, 2005 10:46 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:

JB has managed to underwhelm the Stones Message Board world once again...

December 21st, 2005 11:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

I hate the following bands:

U2
u2 Tribute bands (see elevation, vertigo, joshua trees)
Steely Dan
Steely Dan tribute bands
Aerosmith
REM
Macca
Beatles
Lennon
Wings
December 21st, 2005 11:47 PM
corgi37 Sweet list Voodoopug.

Actors i hate:
Sean Penn
Jim Carrey
Mark Walberg
Tom Cruise

Actresses i would do
Jessica Alba
Sharon Stone (C'mon, you know she'd be a top root!)
Charlize Theron
Dakota Fanning

P.S. Kidding about that last one.
December 21st, 2005 11:48 PM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Sweet list Voodoopug.

Actors i hate:
Sean Penn
Jim Carrey
Mark Walberg
Tom Cruise

Actresses i would do
Jessica Alba
Charlize Theron
Dakota Fanning

Alba is a Fox!!!!!!!!!!

December 21st, 2005 11:50 PM
voodoopug
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Sweet list Voodoopug.

Actors i hate:
Sean Penn
Jim Carrey
Mark Walberg
Tom Cruise

Actresses i would do
Jessica Alba
Charlize Theron
Dakota Fanning

You are a great poster and anyone with less than 453 posts should watch and idolize you...we (true stones fans) are glad you are a true fan!
December 21st, 2005 11:55 PM
jb I have a rectal inflamation problem.............
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)