ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bono's Campaigning Is Slammed By American Writer Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 20th, 2005 02:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bono's Campaigning Is Slammed By American Writer
For his empty shouting...

by Scott Colothan on 12/20/2005
gigwise.com

Bono is the subject of a tirade from acclaimed American travel writer Paul Theroux who claims the U2 frontman doesn’t have a clue how to solve world poverty.

Theroux claims that Bono endlessly shouting for people to hand over money does nothing to solve the wider problem of poverty.

Instead Theroux claims that education will help the Third World rather than blindly giving money away.

In an essay for the New York Times, Theroux wrote: “There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment.

“If Christmas, season of sob stories, has turned me into Scrooge, I recognize the Dickensian counterpart of Paul Hewson - who calls himself "Bono" - as Mrs. Jellyby in "Bleak House." Harping incessantly on her adopted village of Borrioboola-Gha "on the left bank of the River Niger.

“Mrs. Jellyby tries to save the Africans by financing them in coffee growing and encouraging schemes "to turn pianoforte legs and establish an export trade," all the while badgering people for money.”

He continued: "I would not send private money to a charity, or foreign aid to a government, unless every dollar was accounted for - and this never happens.

"Dumping more money (on Africa) in the same old way is not only wasteful, but stupid and harmful; it is also ignoring some of the more obvious points.

"Bono not only believes that he has the solutions to Africa's ills, he is also shouting so loud that other people seem to trust his answers."

December 20th, 2005 03:02 PM
Egbert Thanks, I needed that.
December 20th, 2005 03:16 PM
Jumping Jack Bono is a twat.

American taxpayer money should be spent on the Katrina recovery, not given to African war lords who promise to give seminars on how to use a condom.
December 20th, 2005 03:17 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Bono is a twat.

American taxpayer money should be spent on the Katrina recovery, not given to African war lords who promise to give seminars on how to use a condom.

amen my brother!
December 20th, 2005 03:35 PM
jb About time someone exposed this ass............
December 20th, 2005 03:38 PM
texile yes to all that....
and it takes guts to bash a living saint.
December 20th, 2005 05:28 PM
Poison Dart Bono gives me a headache
December 20th, 2005 06:10 PM
speedfreakjive Aside the positive things he does, he really is a pompous, pretentious cock at times.
In fact he's actually got worse since HTDAAB came out. As a u2 fan, i like most of their stuff, but the recent album was a let down, with only a few good songs on it. So, for some reason he gets more cocky and pretentious (sermons n all) even though the music is worse. I guess, in HIS head its better!

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
December 20th, 2005 08:20 PM
texile
i love u2 - achtung baby is thier exile - magnificent...
but bono's ego and pretensions have overwhelmed the music.
December 20th, 2005 08:34 PM
Soldatti I think that he will be president some day.
December 20th, 2005 08:47 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
texile wrote:

i love u2 - achtung baby is thier exile - magnificent...
but bono's ego and pretensions have overwhelmed the music.

Agreed. Achtung Baby is a piece of art akin to The Mona Lisa or another one of the "classics". Amazing turnaround for the band in music and image. Gone were the uncool clothes (to an extent) and the earnest lyrics of Joashua Tree, in with totally innovative "industrial" edged rock 'n' roll.
December 20th, 2005 09:14 PM
texile
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Agreed. Achtung Baby is a piece of art akin to The Mona Lisa or another one of the "classics". Amazing turnaround for the band in music and image. Gone were the uncool clothes (to an extent) and the earnest lyrics of Joashua Tree, in with totally innovative "industrial" edged rock 'n' roll.

ahh....yes speedy -
but ill never forget being 14 and hearing that first blast of i will follow....
December 20th, 2005 09:21 PM
PeerQueer Bono is simply another example of the indisputable fact that the Irish invented the world.

Get used to it and shut the fuck up.
December 20th, 2005 09:40 PM
BILL PERKS I AM ONE OF THE 5 PEOPLE WHO LIKE DISCOTHEQUE
December 20th, 2005 10:15 PM
jb Bono sucks and so do U2 fans......
December 20th, 2005 10:28 PM
speedfreakjive [quote]texile wrote:

ahh....yes speedy -
but ill never forget being 14 and hearing that first blast of i will follow....

[/quote
Well, I was not born at the time, but i can appreciate the buzz!, hehhe. A great opening riff, for me, Edge on fire! I like the "make-up-your-miind" message in the lyrics too. My personal early fave is New Years Day at the moment, brilliant guitar solo in there.....
December 20th, 2005 10:39 PM
jb Bono , hopefully, go away much like the hateful Vanessa Redgrave.
December 20th, 2005 10:59 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Bono , hopefully, go away much like the hateful Vanessa Redgrave.

Sadly, the Time Magazine award will only inflate the ego of one of the most fake humans out there. Also, expect U2 tribute bands to become more cocky
December 20th, 2005 11:19 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Bono sucks and so do U2 fans......

____

Word on the street is you sucked too JB - quite willingly!

...in college.
December 20th, 2005 11:27 PM
voodoopug
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

____

Word on the street is you sucked too JB - quite willingly!

...in college.

jb has been viciously attacked....this reminds me of the time he and I met Blondie C.!!!
December 20th, 2005 11:34 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

jb has been viciously attacked....this reminds me of the time he and I met Blondie C.!!!

No attack intended - - JB should harbor no shame of his experimental college years. Many have such tales...

December 21st, 2005 01:47 AM
Poplar
I saw U2 from 10 feet away for $49. Great show.
Mick & co. charged me $350 for the same ticket.

I ask you, who is a twat?
December 21st, 2005 03:18 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Poplar wrote:

I saw U2 from 10 feet away for $49. Great show.
Mick & co. charged me $350 for the same ticket.

I ask you, who is a twat?

You, for paying that 350??
December 21st, 2005 04:22 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I have disliked Bono sticking his nose in world politics for a long time now. Hes a singer for fuck sake...not Kofi Anan
December 21st, 2005 07:26 AM
Poplar
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Hes a singer for fuck sake...not Kofi Anan

LOL!!!
Ask the kids in Darfur about old Kofi...

December 21st, 2005 07:37 AM
Poplar
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

You, for paying that 350??

funny and true, dear.
but sadly, it doesn't get the Stones off the hook. They are gredy bastards. I can't really say the same about U2.

U2 has ALWAYS been about politics, and anyone who wants to slag the band or Bono for that had better not say anything good about Neocon. I think some people dislike Bono simply because he truly gives a shit. Can we honestly say Mick gives a shit about anything other than money (a la his family), his image, and a little fun on tour?

Myself, i think bono is something of a cheap, 21st century saint. He's trying to do something psoitive and uplifting with a rock status on par with that of the Stones. Anyone who has seen them live knows what i'm talking about. I think it's pretty cool, and I hope he (and the band) keep doing what they're doing.

for the life of me, I can't understand the animosity U2 generates on this board. There are so many other bands worth directing that negative energy towards.

Joshua Tree for chrissake!

December 21st, 2005 08:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:
for the life of me, I can't understand the animosity U2 generates on this board. There are so many other bands worth directing that negative energy towards.

I can understand it completely. Penis envy (as someone (lotsajizz I think) called it a few days ago

Many Stones fans are incredibly insecure about this 'worlds biggest rock band' tag. Anyone who sells more records, gets more press, appeals more than the Stones do to a new generation or sells anywhere near as many concert tickets is a 'threat' - The laughable obsession with hating the Beatles even after all this time is proof of that. I mean, what year is this - 1964?

personally I reckon they should devote more of their angst to being ripped off by their own favourite band who seem to give less of a shit about their art and legacy with every succeeding year.

Otherwise, what you said is spot on. However, I dont see U2 as a 'political' band per se, and never have done, even from their early days when no one outside of Ireland had heard of them. They're more concerned with humanitarian issues - something which in this day and age necessitates having to deal with politicians every once in a while.

If it takes a "non politician" to ruffle a few feathers now and again by 'sticking his nose into politics' for the good of a few people who due to an accident of birth arent in a position to do it themselves, then more power to him. Someone has to.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 21st, 2005 08:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Personally, I don't care what Bono does, or even the Stones for that matter. One way or another, it makes no difference to me. Stones legacy, that'll be for the future historians to sort out. The writer of this article is probaly correct that what Bono is doing with Africa won't really help much. But it can't hurt either. Pass the pipe, someone buy the next round and spin the next disc. Oh and bring on the next stripper.
December 21st, 2005 08:59 AM
Jumping Jack I don't give a rat's ass about Bono either until he starts lobbying for my tax money. Bush should have told him to piss off.
December 21st, 2005 09:20 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I don't give a rat's ass about Bono either until he starts lobbying for my tax money. Bush should have told him to piss off.

" Bill and Melinda Gates slipped quietly into Omaha Friday to sit with rock star Bono for some important photos - Time magazine's "Persons of the Year."

The trio, who grace this week's Time cover, were photographed at the Hilton Omaha. The night before, Bono and his band, U2, wowed 16,000 fans across 10th Street at Omaha's Qwest Center.

For a few hours Friday, quipped a friend, "the center of the universe was in Omaha."

That pal was Warren Buffett, chairman of Omaha-based Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and second to Gates on the list of the world's wealthiest people.

Gates, the Microsoft chairman, has visited Buffett in Omaha before, dining at such restaurants at Gorat's and Petrow's. (The latter posted a wry sign in September: "Over 2 billionaires served.")

Buffett is such a part of the furniture in Omaha that people tend not to bother him and his famous guests. But Friday's visit by Gates and his wife rated top-secret security.

Keith Hess, general manager of the Hilton, said he learned of the photo session a week in advance but maintained a professional silence. He added: "It was very hush-hush."

Marshelle King, the hotel's director of convention services, worked with a New York company in transforming a ballroom to look like a large living room, with couches and lamps.

The Friday shoot, Hess said, followed a record-breaking night for the hotel, which was sold out because of the U2 concert.

Despite tight security, Hess said, Bill and Melinda Gates walked through the front lobby.

As Time reports this week, reporter Josh Tyrangiel sat with Bono, Bill and Melinda in Omaha for a Q-and-A.

The trio were saluted not for their contributions to music or computers, but for their philanthropy, especially in the causes of poverty and global health.

Time wrote that the three were honored "for being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow."

That the personages converged on Omaha was somewhat an accident of the calendar. Bono's concert Thursday came just before publication of the annual Time honor.

He also met Friday at Omaha's Joslyn Art Museum with the board of his DATA, an acronym for Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa. Included were Susan A. Buffett and Howard Buffett, daughter and son of Warren.

Their mother and his wife, Susan T. Buffett, died last year. At her private funeral in Omaha, Bono sang "Forever Young" and "All I Want Is You."

Time reports that the Gates Foundation's endowment is the world's largest, nearly $32 billion. The next largest is that of the Susan T. Buffett Foundation, at $2.55 billion.

In 2002, Warren had toured with Bono, spreading word of the crisis in Africa. Bono said Buffett had urged him to appeal not so much to America's conscience as to its greatness.

From the Omaha stage Thursday, Bono paid tribute to "the Tribe of Buffett" and said of the Buffetts and Gateses: "We're all having a Christmas party."

Warren calls his annual Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting, which drew 20,000 in the spring to the Qwest Center Omaha, a capitalist version of Woodstock. But Thursday's event, which he attended, "was my first rock concert - and U2 is definitely my favorite rock band."

Buffett's three amigos met in Omaha because it was convenient. Their reminders of world poverty and illness appeal to humanity's greatness, even if that's inconvenient."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2085471

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)