ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: queens of the stone age opening for the stones Return to archive
December 20th, 2005 01:45 AM
ElevatorLady so what do you guys think of queens of the stone age and the fact that they'll be opening up for the stones?
and doesn't merle haggard seem like a strange choice for an opener?

are they trying to appeal to as many people as possible and get people from all demographics to come/spend?

unusual choices of openers.
discuss.
December 20th, 2005 01:57 AM
Kurtcobainkid87 I think Queens of the Stone Age are an amazing band. Extremely talented and one of the best bands out there. I only wish they were the openers for Chicago. As far as the rest of the openers go from what I hear, Sloan is a good opener too. I think Brooks and Dunn are an excellent pick for opening in Nebraska. Merle Haggard is a good choice too, espicially in Little Rock. The Meters are an excellent choice as well. I think overall though, the Leg Two openers suck compared to Leg One. Of course, it's hard to top bands like Los Lonely Boys, Motely Crue, Trey Anastasio, Buddy Guy, Maroon Five, Metallica, Everclear, Beck, and Pearl Jam, just to name a few of my favorites. Queens of the Stone Age definately the best on Leg Two though, without a doubt.
December 20th, 2005 02:14 AM
mac_daddy which show is qotsa opening..?
December 20th, 2005 06:56 AM
Monkeytonk-man I saw 'em a few years ago, supporting Acca Dacca at the milton Keynes bowl. Megadeth were also on the bill, but they were placed lower than QOTSA, Offsrping also played. Maybe some of you were there?

Anyhoo, it was the general concensus that they were the crappest band of the day, if anything they should have been on first, but, that's the way the shit splatters.

At least they're a rock band, which at least is something, 'cus the support bands, with a few exceptions, are generally shit, at Stones gigs.
December 20th, 2005 08:24 AM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
which show is qotsa opening..?

According to qotsa.com:

March 4 @ MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
March 6 @ THE FORUM

I saw thim this summer and they were brilliant.
December 20th, 2005 11:33 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
TornAndFrayed wrote:

According to qotsa.com:

March 4 @ MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
March 6 @ THE FORUM

i was hoping that was the case...
December 20th, 2005 12:30 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
TornAndFrayed wrote:

I saw them in August, and I thought they were terrible. It was a greatest hits show, which was fine, everybody sang along, but that singer, he just can't sing live. The band misses power and body in their music when played live. Just imo.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
December 20th, 2005 04:53 PM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I saw them in August, and I thought they were terrible. It was a greatest hits show, which was fine, everybody sang along, but that singer, he just can't sing live. The band misses power and body in their music when played live. Just imo.

[Edited by Angiegirl]

It´s a matter of taste, I guess.
Personally, I think their music sounds a lot better in concert than on records and they are an excellent live band: tight, powerful and entertaining.
December 20th, 2005 08:28 PM
Soldatti Average band with some good songs.
December 20th, 2005 09:40 PM
J.J.Flash My confuzed brain just can't take why the hell they choose all these relatively NEW bands, most of them crap stuff, instead the likes of DEEP PURPLE, ALICE COOPER, GEORGE THOROGOOD.......

WHY METALLICA, WHY JOSS STONE, WHY MAROON 5, WHY BLACK EYED PEAS, WHY QUEENS OF STONE AGE.......(MOST OF THE OPENING ACTS I CAN'T EVEN RECALL THE NAME ARE NOT EVEN POP ROCK)

WHY NOT ALICE COOPER (WHO SHARED HIS TOUR WITH DIO LATELY AND EVEN THE HUGE, FANTASTIC DEEP PURPLE), WHY NOT DEEP PURPLE, WHY NOT FRICTION BAND.......

Why.......why!?!?!?
December 20th, 2005 10:40 PM
Soldatti It's easy, they want new fans coming to the shows.
December 20th, 2005 10:42 PM
jb
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
which show is qotsa opening..?

I smell a torrent coming!!! Snooze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by jb]
December 20th, 2005 11:08 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

I smell a torrent coming!!! Snooze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by jb]

after the debacle that was the Las Vegas ticket sales earlier on the tour....I hope this opening band can sell at least a few tickets and give young Jake a break from papering the house (I am told over 7K tickets did not sell the first time around!!)
December 20th, 2005 11:10 PM
jb Vegas did not sell out..............it had 7k unsold seays!!!!
December 20th, 2005 11:13 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Vegas did not sell out..............it had 7k unsold seays!!!!

my sources were correct....Rainingblimps from Shidoobee was completely humiliated by these numbers....
December 21st, 2005 12:23 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
My confuzed brain just can't take why the hell they choose all these relatively NEW bands, most of them crap stuff, instead the likes of DEEP PURPLE, ALICE COOPER, GEORGE THOROGOOD.......

WHY METALLICA, WHY JOSS STONE, WHY MAROON 5, WHY BLACK EYED PEAS, WHY QUEENS OF STONE AGE.......(MOST OF THE OPENING ACTS I CAN'T EVEN RECALL THE NAME ARE NOT EVEN POP ROCK)

WHY NOT ALICE COOPER (WHO SHARED HIS TOUR WITH DIO LATELY AND EVEN THE HUGE, FANTASTIC DEEP PURPLE), WHY NOT DEEP PURPLE, WHY NOT FRICTION BAND.......

Why.......why!?!?!?

Did you just put metallica in the same category as maroon 5,some shitty rap group, and qotsa??!!

Metallicas first album came out 23 years ago not hardy what i call new..

not that i would LOVE to see alice or DEEP PURPLE(fireball is one of my favorite albums ever) open for the stones..

[Edited by keefjunkie]
December 21st, 2005 03:15 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Why.......why!?!?!?

Why? Because they are the artists of now, because they are the current artists with regular new albums/singles to plug, because they have their songs playing on today's radio stations, because they are the ones with regular shows of their own around the countries, because they are record label's today's bread, because the Stones attract a wide-range audience which is perfect to push these new artists upon (instant name recognition), because...

Doh .
December 21st, 2005 04:41 AM
beer didn't nick leave/get kicked out of the queens and end up face first in the Dwarves?

http://www.thedwarves.com/

-
December 21st, 2005 07:19 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

Did you just put metallica in the same category as maroon 5,some shitty rap group, and qotsa??!!

Metallicas first album came out 23 years ago not hardy what i call new..

not that i would LOVE to see alice or DEEP PURPLE(fireball is one of my favorite albums ever) open for the stones..

[Edited by keefjunkie]

Hey, I ain't putting Metallica in the same bag as Maroon shit or anything.... sorry, that wasnt't clear enough maybe. In fact, among the opening acts, Metallica seems to be the most reasonable on it, I know they are no new group, of course had some piece of R'n'R history, but Alice Cooper (PURE ROCK'n'ROLL) toured with Purple, and even Ronnie James Dio. These are the bands that like the Stones, continuously have been written the history of this genre and lifestyle we love and respect called Rock'n'Roll. That's my point.
[edited for mispelling]
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 21st, 2005 11:27 AM
mac_daddy nick was kicked out of the band a while ago, and for all things, his drug use...

hopefully lanegan will be singing with them in march, but i kinda doubt that, too...

mark l. has one of THE best voices in all of rock 'n' roll.
December 21st, 2005 07:16 PM
glencar I loved that "I Nearly Lost You song from many years ago!
December 21st, 2005 10:52 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I loved that "I Nearly Lost You song from many years ago!

yup. good tune. got alot of play on the singles soundtrack

that was the screaming trees - lanegan, barrett martin on drums, and the two brothers (big dudes) on guitar and bass.

but lanegan's solo stuff is killer. most of it is acoustic - he was the guy who taught kurt cobain leadbelly's "where did you sleep last night" - and the last few ep's and lp's have been with a band. his latest - "bubblegum" - was my pick for best album of 2004 (and i picked it early, too); it is fantastic.
December 21st, 2005 10:53 PM
jb
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

yup. good tune. got alot of play on the singles soundtrack

that was the screaming trees - lanegan, barrett martin on drums, and the two brothers (big dudes) on guitar and bass.

but lanegan's solo stuff is killer. most of it is acoustic - he was the guy who taught kurt cobain leadbelly's "where did you sleep last night" - and the last few ep's and lp's have been with a band. his latest - "bubblegum" - was my pick for best album of 2004 (and i picked it early, too); it is fantastic.

Great posting!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)