ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Which of the "big four" albums should I pick up first? Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 19th, 2005 01:15 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Rolling Beatle wrote:
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

I don't actually own any albums besides A Bigger Bang, but I've had 40 Licks, Jump Back and Hot Rocks for a while.

Which would be best to get first?

Some girls!
December 19th, 2005 02:07 PM
Saint Sway the smart play is to buy them in chronological order, starting with Beggars. And take some time and let each one soak in before you purchase the next one.

if you want, slip Ya-Ya's in there too.
December 19th, 2005 02:23 PM
jb Try B2B, Live Licks, ABB, and Rarities!!!!! The best of the best!!!
December 19th, 2005 02:51 PM
glencar Did this kid buy anything yet?
December 19th, 2005 02:54 PM
speedfreakjive I agree that Exile should be left until last, its the icing on the cake, not Let It Bleed as you might think by the cover artwork!
I would say get them in chronological order because Beggars Banquet showcases a return to their roots.... which filters into Let It Bleed, which is rootsy and innovative at the same time. Then hit Sticky Fingers, by which time they'd developed their own style, and finally Exile which combines innovation, blues, and everything in between.
Its the Bible and every other religious transcript of Music!!
All IMO naturally!
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
December 19th, 2005 02:56 PM
glencar You know, I'd challenge your points but I know you'd fold in no time.
December 19th, 2005 03:39 PM
texile it doesn't matter when you get exile - it takes years to absorb -
so get the other three chronologically and then some girls -
exile will come to you when its time.....

December 19th, 2005 10:27 PM
Riffhard Exile is overrated?!?!?! Wow! That's news to me. I guess Michelangelo's Venus di Milo is overrated as well then. For that matter Picaso's Guernica is overated. As is Da Vinci's The Last Supper,and Mona Lisa.

Exile is flat out the greatest album ever recorded,produced,played,and listened to! If anything it has not been appreciated enough by the masses. I'd say any album by the Eagles is overrated,but Exile On Main Street?!?!? Never! Blasphamy!

Having said that,I must concur with those suggesting to buy them in the chronological order which they came out.

In other words-save the best for last.

Riffy
December 19th, 2005 10:47 PM
jb
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Exile is overrated?!?!?! Wow! That's news to me. I guess Michelangelo's Venus di Milo is overrated as well then. For that matter Picaso's Guernica is overated. As is Da Vinci's The Last Supper,and Mona Lisa.

Exile is flat out the greatest album ever recorded,produced,played,and listened to! If anything it has not been appreciated enough by the masses. I'd say any album by the Eagles is overrated,but Exile On Main Street?!?!? Never! Blasphamy!

Having said that,I must concur with those suggesting to buy them in the chronological order which they came out.

Riffy

Hi Riff!!! Exile remains the greatest rock album ever in the history of mankind......................
December 19th, 2005 10:49 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Hi Riff!!! Exile remains the greatest rock album ever in the history of mankind......................

Before Jake Cohl....we had MICK FUCKING TAYLOR!
December 19th, 2005 11:02 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:

Yes it is! We agree on these matters which are so critical to the future generations of this great nation. It is unfathomable to think that there are youngsters out there searching for the "Holy Grail" of rock and roll records only to be told that this TRUE GENIUSof a record is overated!

Will you be attending the {{{{{Summitt of the Century}}}}} in NYC?! If so we shall greet,and it will be good!

Riffy
December 20th, 2005 02:17 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Exile is overrated?!?!?! Wow! That's news to me. I guess Michelangelo's Venus di Milo is overrated as well then. For that matter Picaso's Guernica is overated. As is Da Vinci's The Last Supper,and Mona Lisa.

Exile is flat out the greatest album ever recorded,produced,played,and listened to! If anything it has not been appreciated enough by the masses.

Riffy

exactly riff - its NOT known or appreciated by the masses, but then the masses don't get picasso's guernica....
which is the perfect analogy - it's vast, deep, bold, mysterious and requires emotional commitment to fathom.
December 21st, 2005 12:19 AM
time is on my side Personally, I would recommend you save your pennies and buy all four. To me, EXILE is the STONES crown jewel. A masterpiece that's been unequalled. All four are indispensable as they show off the STONES at their creative peak.

However, that's just me. Everyone has different taste. Here's a respected STONES critic's rating of the entire STONES catalog. LOOK HOW FAR DOWN EXILE & TATTOO YOU are rated!!!! To repeat a saying that so often needs to be repeated- to each their own. More evidence there are people out there who feel EXILE is overrated. I'm convinced there is no album every made, regardless of universal acclaim, where you won't be able find someone who will blast it as being OVERRATED.

This is the critical rating from a respected STONES critic:

(1) Sticky Fingers (1971)
(2) Let It Bleed (1969)
(3) Beggar's Banquet (1968)
(4) Some Girls (1978)
(5) Goat's Head Soup (1973)
(6) A Bigger Bang (2005)
(7) England's Newest Hitmakers (1964)
(8) Between The Buttons (1967)
(9) It's Only Rock & Roll (1974)
(10) Exile On Main St (1972)
(11) Aftermath (1966)
(12) The Rolling Stones Now (1965)
(13) Out Of Our Heads (1965)
(14) Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
(15) Voodoo Lounge (1994)
(16) 12x5 (1964)
(17) December's Children (1965)
(18) Tattoo You (1981)
(19) Black n Blue (1976)
(20) Emotional Rescue (1980)
(21) Undercover
(22) Bridges To Babylon
(23) Steel Wheels
(24) Dirty Work

[Edited by time is on my side]
December 21st, 2005 01:16 AM
highwire I like the order above except that I would place Exile in the top 4. The big 4 are the big 4. I like that Some Girls and Goats Head Soup are ranked so high. Those are great albums. Of the 24 the only one I would consider a little weak in parts would be Steel Wheels. I really do like Dirty Work especially all the hard rock n roll stuff.
While Some Girls is my favourite album, the one I enjoy listening to the most and play the most, I concede a special status to the big 4. The band could have quit after Exile and toured for ever on the strength of the classic era stuff. Those 4 albums cemented the Stones legacy. Everything since has been icing on the cake and great icing at that.
If I had to pick which of the big 4 to listen to first, I'd start with Sticky Fingers for many of the reasons already listed. It features a fully matured Stones sound. Then I'd go back and listen to Beggars and Bleed in that order, the order they were made to revisit how they got to Sticky Fingers. Give Ya Yas a good listen as well especially Midnight Rambler and then you are ready to savour the smorgasbord that is Exile. An album you will probably have to listen to about 10 times to fully appreciate. I listen to it about 3 times a year and I'm still in awe and I still don't fully get it but every listen is a new experience.
If Stones have an underrated album its got to be Goats Head Soup. Star Star is A list Stones rock n roll but there's all that neat eerie moody stuff, MrD, Winter, Coming Down Again. Heartbreaker-brilliant.
This is my first post. Rocks Off Rocks. Love following the tour on this site.Caught the show at Rogers Centre in Toronto. Of the last 5 big tours going back to Steel Wheels, I thought this was the best show. After 3 songs I said to my buddy, if they pass around the hat I'll pay more. I already got my moneys worth with Start Me Up and She's So Cold. Most frantic energized version of Start Me Up I've ever heard live.
Long may the Stones Roll!
December 21st, 2005 12:34 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Exile is the most overrated album of all time

While I certainly don't agree with that statement, what I would add is that Exile is an album which is very much UNDERRATED by the critics and the general public, yet somewhat overrated by many Stones fans.

All four of those albums are excellent and I'd recommend purchasing them in any order you desire. They're all great!
December 21st, 2005 02:08 PM
texile how can you overrate the holy grail?
December 21st, 2005 02:10 PM
jb
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Yes it is! We agree on these matters which are so critical to the future generations of this great nation. It is unfathomable to think that there are youngsters out there searching for the "Holy Grail" of rock and roll records only to be told that this TRUE GENIUSof a record is overated!

Will you be attending the {{{{{Summitt of the Century}}}}} in NYC?! If so we shall greet,and it will be good!

Riffy

Yes...........1/20th.............but LadyJane must have it centrally located within walking distance of MSG/Time Square. It is very cold, and many cannot afford taxis;thus, they will need a short walk from the Penn Hotel. My limo canonly hold so many...........like me and my son..............developing.
December 21st, 2005 02:12 PM
voodoopug
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Personally, I would recommend you save your pennies and buy all four. To me, EXILE is the STONES crown jewel. A masterpiece that's been unequalled. All four are indispensable as they show off the STONES at their creative peak.

However, that's just me. Everyone has different taste. Here's a respected STONES critic's rating of the entire STONES catalog. LOOK HOW FAR DOWN EXILE & TATTOO YOU are rated!!!! To repeat a saying that so often needs to be repeated- to each their own. More evidence there are people out there who feel EXILE is overrated. I'm convinced there is no album every made, regardless of universal acclaim, where you won't be able find someone who will blast it as being OVERRATED.

This is the critical rating from a respected STONES critic:

(1) Sticky Fingers (1971)
(2) Let It Bleed (1969)
(3) Beggar's Banquet (1968)
(4) Some Girls (1978)
(5) Goat's Head Soup (1973)
(6) A Bigger Bang (2005)
(7) England's Newest Hitmakers (1964)
(8) Between The Buttons (1967)
(9) It's Only Rock & Roll (1974)
(10) Exile On Main St (1972)
(11) Aftermath (1966)
(12) The Rolling Stones Now (1965)
(13) Out Of Our Heads (1965)
(14) Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
(15) Voodoo Lounge (1994)
(16) 12x5 (1964)
(17) December's Children (1965)
(18) Tattoo You (1981)
(19) Black n Blue (1976)
(20) Emotional Rescue (1980)
(21) Undercover
(22) Bridges To Babylon
(23) Steel Wheels
(24) Dirty Work

[Edited by time is on my side]

very well ordered list...i would probably keep mine like that too with the exception of moving Voodoo Lounge and Aftermath up a few spots and switching Steel Wheels and Dirty Work.
December 21st, 2005 04:15 PM
bitotas Respected critics ??????
Exile after Some Girls ?????

Respect must be deserved.

Exile is still the best.

December 21st, 2005 05:03 PM
voodoopug
quote:
bitotas wrote:
Respected critics ??????
Exile after Some Girls ?????

Respect must be deserved.

Exile is still the best.

as far as the quality of many songs on the album...but come on...playing straight through, Some Girls is much stonger track for track. Would anyone truly want to hear "Just wanna see his face" over any track on Some Girls? Perspective is key here people. If Exile was a 14 song single album.....No one would ever doubt it was the greatest cd ever released, but there are at least 4 songs, maybe more that only appeal to die hard fans on that album, whereas SOme Girls has very solid tracks all the way through.
December 21st, 2005 05:11 PM
Saint Sway Pug,

you got Bang at 6????!!!?????!?????

and Exile at 10??? WTF??? And TY at 18?????

time to stop drinking from your dogs bowl.
December 21st, 2005 05:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Pug,

you got Bang at 6????!!!?????!?????

and Exile at 10??? WTF??? And TY at 18?????

time to stop drinking from your dogs bowl.

I would put Exile above Bang....this is someone elses list, i was just stating the obvious ones I seen. Right now I find myself listening to Bang more than Exile, but mostly because it is new.

TY always struck me as an album that is only at its best when performed live, great album, but not in my top 10
December 21st, 2005 08:15 PM
texile
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

as far as the quality of many songs on the album...but come on...playing straight through, Some Girls is much stonger track for track. Would anyone truly want to hear "Just wanna see his face" over any track on Some Girls? Perspective is key here people. If Exile was a 14 song single album.....No one would ever doubt it was the greatest cd ever released, but there are at least 4 songs, maybe more that only appeal to die hard fans on that album, whereas SOme Girls has very solid tracks all the way through.

true....
but exile is mammoth.
some girls and exile are the cornerstones of the stones' legacy for me, so i would never rate them against each other.....

it's like comparing god and jesus.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)