ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Which of the "big four" albums should I pick up first? Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 18th, 2005 01:48 AM
Rolling Beatle Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

I don't actually own any albums besides A Bigger Bang, but I've had 40 Licks, Jump Back and Hot Rocks for a while.

Which would be best to get first?
December 18th, 2005 02:54 AM
ShaneJazz Well, it could be argued that you should buy them in chronological order, to get a proper perspective of the musical progression that exploded over the course of those few years. But if you had to buy just one, I would recommend Sticky Fingers. I simply love it. Besides the well known Wild Horses and Brown Sugar, you will discover absolute gems such as I Got The Blues, Moonlight Mile and my favorite all-time Stones' song: Bitch. I envy you being able to hear it for the first time, because it was a wonderful memory to discover these songs and fall in love with them. Enjoy!
[Edited by ShaneJazz]
December 18th, 2005 04:27 AM
RSRTG Thats a 'curly' you've thrown R.B. and since I cant come to the conclusion of picking one over another, I recommend you buy them all.
Personally, I was influenced by their early 60's albums and I just progressed through the catalogue.
Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed will always be amoungst my favourites but then again, I have a soft spot for all their albums!
Goodluck.
December 18th, 2005 11:14 AM
the good Pound for pound, there is no better Stones album than Sticky Fingers.
December 18th, 2005 11:31 AM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
the good wrote:
Pound for pound, there is no better Stones album than Sticky Fingers.

Agreed!!!!
December 18th, 2005 11:54 AM
sirmoonie If I was starting over, I'd buy them in chrono order. When you get to Exile, you will not believe that anyone made music like that. Exile went beyond its roots and influences - probably the best music ever made on this earth.
December 18th, 2005 01:16 PM
Schooner333 I think you just simply MUST own them all, so if I were you, I would buy them in the order they were released. Each one you buy and listen to is going to make you want to rush out and buy the next. Also, I would add Ya Ya's in the group (as in my avatar)... I'm sure you'll be happy.
December 18th, 2005 01:39 PM
Soldatti Buy Sticky Fingers first, it will catch you at the moment.
December 18th, 2005 03:06 PM
kath let it bleed. no contest!!!
December 18th, 2005 03:29 PM
voodoopug If you dont have any of those by now....you should probalby just buy Dirty Work...it may be too late!
December 18th, 2005 03:37 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
If you dont have any of those by now....you should probalby just buy Dirty Work...it may be too late!

Do NOT take his advice..

Get let it bleed
December 18th, 2005 03:51 PM
Ronnie Richards All four are indispensable.

Exile is the leader of the pack, tho a newcomer would probably find Sticky Fingers more catchy.
December 18th, 2005 04:34 PM
gimmekeef Hope Santa gets em all for you.They are must haves..If I was on a desert Island though..I'd have to have Let It Bleed along though....Dont forget Aftermath either somewhat of a hidden gem especially the UK Remastered version...
December 18th, 2005 05:54 PM
Some Guy When you get past those, get Emotional Rescue and thank me later.
December 18th, 2005 06:52 PM
bitotas Buy them in chronological order.
Spend some time with each of them, before moving to the next.

Exile is the crown jewel.
December 18th, 2005 07:06 PM
glencar Buy Exile.
December 18th, 2005 07:36 PM
voodoopug
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

Do NOT take his advice..

Get let it bleed

Sticky Fingers would be better listening for a new fan, Exile has way too much filler that we (true stones fans) are the only ones who truly accept them. Let it Bleed is a close second.
December 18th, 2005 08:23 PM
quackenbush Buy Let It Bleed. It is their best album and the most accessible one for a new fan. You probably know most of the songs. I would follow it up with Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and then Exile. But definitely buy Exile last because it is kind of difficult to get into. It needs repeated listens and this made dissuade you from buying any additional albums. But it is a great album.

While you're at it, don't stop there. Get Some Girls, Black and Blue and Tattoo You. Avoid Dirty Work and Still Life at all costs.
December 18th, 2005 08:51 PM
sirmoonie Hard to believe the Stones topped Sticky with their next album. What a band. What audacity. Those guys were on fire and perfect back then. Absolutely perfect, noting else like them.
December 18th, 2005 09:08 PM
Starbuck forget the big four. this should be your next album purchase:

[Edited by Starbuck]
December 18th, 2005 09:10 PM
glencar What? What?
December 19th, 2005 01:16 AM
the good Exile is an incredible album (and an artistic masterpiece that is without peer in the rock/blues genre) but it takes a while to realize just how brilliant it is. At least that was true for me. Sticky fingers will provide a quicker fix for a would be stones addict. Especially sister morphine

I mean, you really can't go wrong with any of those albums. Its all good. Nothing bad or ugly.
December 19th, 2005 06:06 AM
egon
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
If I was starting over, I'd buy them in chrono order. When you get to Exile, you will not believe that anyone made music like that. Exile went beyond its roots and influences - probably the best music ever made on this earth.

Amen sir!
December 19th, 2005 08:36 AM
Voodoo Scrounge sticky fingers. The others are overrated
December 19th, 2005 11:58 AM
the good
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
sticky fingers. The others are overrated

Surely you jest.
December 19th, 2005 12:06 PM
Voodoo Scrounge no

Exile is the most overrated album of all time

The others are just overrated
December 19th, 2005 12:10 PM
jb Rarities................
December 19th, 2005 12:15 PM
Voodoo Scrounge Yeah, Rarities is up there, but not as far up there as exile
December 19th, 2005 12:48 PM
the good
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
no

Exile is the most overrated album of all time

The others are just overrated

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry...
December 19th, 2005 01:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
the good wrote:

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry...

this is all because of U2 and U2 Tribute Bands (see Elevation, No Name Streets, Vertigo)
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)