ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: TOP 10 ALBUMS U BOUGHT THIS YEAR Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 17th, 2005 05:34 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
[quote]IanBillen wrote:
I'll tell you what compare 2005 to just ten years before, say oh 1994-95.

Ian
/quote
Okay, I will. In 2005, the state of rockn'roll is pretty damn good. On both sides of the Atlantic there are great bands. Franz Ferdinand, Hard-Fi, Kaiser Chiefs and The Artic Monkeys are just a few of the class UK acts at the moment. In the States you have The Killers, Interpol, Queens Of The Stoneage, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire (are they American?) and the list goes on Ian.

Now, for 1994-1995. Things were great in the UK because Brit-Pop was in full swing with bands like Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Suede and so on. Unless you were into that scene, I'm really struggling to see how you can claim that the state of music was better ten years ago. Ten years ago dance music was still quite big and that's not great. The best American band of the 1990's finished, Nirvana and oh, I almost forgot. Green day released Dookie! I like it, but come on! Are you seriously telling me that music was better ten years ago?

Arcade Fire are Canadians
December 17th, 2005 05:44 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Arcade Fire are Canadians

Thanks Jumacfly. I watched an interview with them on MTV2 and it was quite apparent they weren’t English! I guess it was just a natural thing to presume they were American.

On another matter, what do you think of The Strokes latest? I can hear so many different influences in Juicebox. It's an amazing song in my opinion.
December 17th, 2005 05:55 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Thanks Jumacfly. I watched an interview with them on MTV2 and it was quite apparent they weren’t English! I guess it was just a natural thing to presume they were American.

On another matter, what do you think of The Strokes latest? I can hear so many different influences in Juicebox. It's an amazing song in my opinion.

you re welcome Alex.
I haven t heard their new release yet, just seen their video which is damn hot
I ve seen them in 2002 and they were good on stage.
the young Julian needs to improve and should stop drinking before gigs

Any comments or opinions here about the last Dandy Warhols???
December 17th, 2005 08:02 AM
IanBillen [quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:
[quote]IanBillen wrote:
I'll tell you what compare 2005 to just ten years before, say oh 1994-95.

Ian
/quote
Okay, I will. In 2005, the state of rockn'roll is pretty damn good. On both sides of the Atlantic there are great bands. Franz Ferdinand, Hard-Fi, Kaiser Chiefs and The Artic Monkeys are just a few of the class UK acts at the moment. In the States you have The Killers, Interpol, Queens Of The Stoneage, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire (are they American?) and the list goes on Ian.

Now, for 1994-1995. Things were great in the UK because Brit-Pop was in full swing with bands like Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Suede and so on. Unless you were into that scene, I'm really struggling to see how you can claim that the state of music was better ten years ago. Ten years ago dance music was still quite big and that's not great. The best American band of the 1990's finished, Nirvana and oh, I almost forgot. Green day released Dookie! I like it, but come on! Are you seriously telling me that music was better ten years ago?

Well you did still have Nirvana in 94. You had Bush, Collective Soul, Better than Ezera, The Toadies, Tool made their break through, Sound Garden put out a great album and was active in this time frame, Cheap Trick put out their best album in years in years around that time period (give or take a year).
Alanis Morriset (like her or not she put out a good album for what it was), LIVE established themselves and put out a good album.

Stone Temple Pilots.

That list goes on and on as well....

Only thing is those bands were still playing Rock back then, not rehashed eighties rock and eighties new wave/pop. And back then Hip-Hop didn't dominate the charts any where near as it does now. Rock still meant something. And IMHO the artists and their music were way better 10-12 years ago.

Hell yeah it was better. Much better.

Ian
December 17th, 2005 02:17 PM
pdog Thanks Ian. You have confirmed what I suspected all along. Your musical taste sucks and you're slow to catch on.
I'm sure you were a big Nirvana fan from their start... Right? Doubtful. Most of the bands you named blow, but if that's what you dig, so be it. Like I said, you confirmed what I suspected. You're not even close to being a rock snob, you can't offer anyone even one band to go check out.
you're so behind, yet you don't even know it.
In 1994 we still had Nirvana... Dude! You made me laugh with that one. I first saw Nirvana in 1988 for $5. By 1989 they were the band I had told people to watch, and they were only one of many. But the bands didn't have to blow up to be good, Nirvana was the exception. You're ignorant and stupid, you proclain nothing is a good today as Better than Ezra... WTF? You're not worthy of listening to the bands I dig...
December 17th, 2005 06:57 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:
hmmm, 1994??? I know I was buying a lot more cds then but what were they.

ORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE!

December 17th, 2005 10:31 PM
keefjunkie didnt the flaming lips start around then?

music is so much better today i could easily name 50 bands of the top of my head that are great.. everyone thats been named so far and plenty more
[Edited by keefjunkie]
December 17th, 2005 10:35 PM
MrPleasant The Lips began in the eighties.
December 17th, 2005 10:41 PM
MrPleasant And, IMHO, the "album of that year" (94) was Ween's Chocolate & Cheese.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
December 18th, 2005 12:35 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

ORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE!

I believe I have dat on vinyl, thanks.

December 18th, 2005 05:29 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]pdog wrote:
Thanks Ian. You have confirmed what I suspected all along. Your musical taste sucks and you're slow to catch on.
I'm sure you were a big Nirvana fan from their start... Right? Doubtful. Most of the bands you named blow, but if that's what you dig, so be it. Like I said, you confirmed what I suspected. You're not even close to being a rock snob, you can't offer anyone even one band to go check out.
you're so behind, yet you don't even know it.
In 1994 we still had Nirvana... Dude! You made me laugh with that one. I first saw Nirvana in 1988 for $5. By 1989 they were the band I had told people to watch, and they were only one of many. But the bands didn't have to blow up to be good, Nirvana was the exception. You're ignorant and stupid, you proclain nothing is a good today as Better than Ezra... WTF? You're not worthy of listening to the bands I dig...

-First of all: Who would label themselves as a "Rock Snob"? Anyone who actually does needs to get real. I don't label myself as anything. I just love music is all. And I Realize Better than Ezera really had only two good songs and for the most part were kind of a joke ....but I loved those two tunes. Today I am hard pressed to find one song I love.

Secondly, it is not that there is absolutely nothing at all that is good today. It is just really slim pickins.

Third, when I said in 94 we "still had Nirvana", that meant they had been around for a short while and they were still going at that point. I first heard Nirvana in 1991.

You state you were listening to Nirvana and all these groups before anyone...
I've seen your type a thousand times. We know, you're listening to the cool bands before anyone eles is or you were the first to start turning people onto them.

And I can bet my life you were screaming how great those bands were at that time. In ten years you will be saying how fantastic the bands of the day are at that time and try and claim you were listening to them before anyone heard of them as well.

PDog (AKA "The Rock Snob"),

You're confirming alot as well.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
December 18th, 2005 07:34 AM
Jumacfly Ian sadly your posts about Bon Jovi didn t help you to get any credibility here.
December 18th, 2005 10:11 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

I believe I have dat on vinyl, thanks.

Silver plated or just black?

quote:
ianbillen wrote:

pdog is a rock snob and music sucks today from ian

Ian, I think pdog's point is is that if you wait for music to come to you then you've got no one but yourself to blame for feeling like there's no good music out there. What you're doing is admitting that the media and marketing machine isn't feeding you something you like. Big deal. I've heard the "no more good music" shit all my professional career and find that it usually says more about the kvetcher than with anything wrong with whatever might be "going on" in music at the time.

Strangely enough, I do agree that 1994 was an exceptional year for music although your examples from that year are atrocious and prove that you know absolutely nothing about what was really going on then, either.

And pdog ain't no rock snob, and if you think he is then that proves that you don't know what one of those looks/sounds like either. Considering where he was when he was there he keeps his posts pretty goddamn free of namedrop.

December 18th, 2005 10:45 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
ABB
Dirty Diamonds

You are much loved by the Jay!
December 18th, 2005 11:30 AM
IanBillen Nasty Habits Wrote:
"Considering where he was when he was there he keeps his posts pretty goddamn free of namedrop."

I wasn't name dropping at all. See his previous posts about me supposably claiming that I was a true, legitimate, "rock snob"....whatever that is. It was a mere poke at the remark he made towards my ilegitimate persona. Nothing more.

Nasty Habits,
What I have is an opinion. I hear all kinds of music every day from all kinds of different places. Most of it fits one of these four categories:

1. Hip-Hop/Rap 2. Eighties Rehash 3. Garage Rock 4. Death Metal

This is what dominates the music scene today....and I hear it from indie groups to the big players and guess what: To be honest, most, not all, but 90-95% of it is either sounding just like the next band or it is garbage.

I don't wait for music to come to me. It is all around me. In 93-95 I was really satisfied with what I heard. Today, we are at an all time music low as far as creativity and quality goes. The only years I can recall that were along these same lines were maybe 79-80 which sucked as well.

What do you think? I think most of the people on this board would agree that music in the past 4-5 years has been really lousy.

I don't get caught up by the media. Most of the stuff churned out we hear is just that....churned out, manufactured, sillyness. I realize it. But from what I have heard from Indie and Underground bands they are almost as bad....just in the opposite direction.

What do you think? Do you honestly think music as a whole is really good today???

Ian

December 18th, 2005 11:41 AM
IanBillen [quote]Jumacfly wrote:
Ian sadly your posts about Bon Jovi didn t help you to get any credibility here.

I realize this but I gotta stick by what I truly feel. I never was crazy about them, or thought they were comparable to a super group or anything but guess what. Lousy, they weren't/They sold millions of albums, and are decent musicians man. I have to look at it in an engineers light. Engineers (which I am not, by the way but am surrounded by) appreciate the production, song writing, and recording for what it is. I've always been this way. Hell if you really wanna know I like Pink. I have three of her albums. I think she's pretty good. One of my favorite female vocalists going. I also like some underground french stuff as well. Point being I know a good group who was produced well and this is what I heard when it came to Bonjovi. Were they great? Are they great? I think we both know the answer to that. But their a good band. And I don't even own one of their albums but I heard most of them. The last one was, unfortunately the worst of them all.

Ian
December 18th, 2005 11:43 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Frans Bauer.
December 18th, 2005 12:12 PM
72Tele Art Pepper-Modern Art
Billy Lee Riley-Billy Lee Riley In Action
Damian Marley-Welcome To Jamrock
The White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan
The Blue Runners-Honey Slides
Henry "RED"Allen-World On A String

I read many books mostly about musicians the best being The Straight Life the autobiography of Art Pepper. He makes Keith look like a teetotaler.
December 18th, 2005 12:13 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Silver plated or just black?

Unfortunately it's just black.
December 19th, 2005 09:15 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

What do you think? Do you honestly think music as a whole is really good today???

Ian

Music sounds really good to me every day, Ian.

But do I think the world of rock and roll is as vibrant today as it was 10 years ago? No, not really. That doesn't mean a thing, though. Your tenor indicates everything sucks. My position is that this was a surprisingly vibrant and interesting year for music, and in fact bears some real similarities to 10 years ago.

How are you with the Dungen record? The new Animal Collective? The new Sleater Kinney album? The Deadly Snakes? Did you go see the Reigning Sound this year? Arcade Fire? What are your thoughts about the new crew of Sub-Pop releases by the various Wolf bands? Your ideas about Devendra Bernhardt and his little coterie of folk-psych mopeadopes? Have you heard that new Gris Gris record? I have to revise my list because of it. Give me some informed thoughts on these bands and I'll be more convinced you know something about the state of music in the world today.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
December 19th, 2005 10:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot Another year is coming to a close, and that means it’s time for SS to decide on his Top Ten releases for the year. 2005 was a stellar year, with releases from some of the biggest names in rock n roll. The Stones finally released a new studio album, “A Bigger Bang”, after making us wait for 8 years. Neil Young put out another solo acoustic album called “Prairie Wind”. And the White Stripes followed up my 2003 Album of the Year “Elephant” with the piano driven “Get Behind Me Satan”. None of those albums was good enough to make my list. THAT is how good a year it was for music.

My Top Ten list is all about Rock n Roll…or, at least, what MY idea of Rock n Roll is supposed to be. I’m not going to do an in depth review of each album, but I will try to give you a feel for what each is like. Hopefully this will help you to pick a few of these to try out.

But before I get to my Top Ten, let me hand out some awards to some deserving albums that are not really Rock n Roll albums, but are still really good.

Best Country album: “Georgia Hard”, Robbie Fulks

This is country music like I like country music. It’s not pretty. It’s not redneck. It’s not by some chick with fake boobs in a short skirt. This is country music as it should be…witty, lived in, honest and singable. There is impeccable musicianship on this record. It is simply country players playing country music. This album is not selling an image. It’s just a collection of simple country songs. And that’s a good thing.

Best Alt-Country album: “Jacksonville City Nights”, Ryan Adams & the Cardinals

I agree. Ryan Adams is an asshole. However, he is an asshole who writes wonderful songs. This album will stay on your playlist for a long time. Wonderful songs, wonderful band, wonderful performances. I can think of nothing bad to say about this album. If you don’t have it already, stop reading this and go buy it. The rest of this document will still be here when you get back.

Best EP: “We Are The Radio”, The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Anton Newcombe’s brand of California neo-psychedelic hook laden music isn’t for everyone. Some folks get it, some don’t. His music has a way of working its way into my synapses and not leaving. This 5 song mini-album is certainly one of his more far eastern influenced works. It works best when the listener is under the influence of mind expanding materials. If you like Satanic Majesties, you’ll probably like this.

Best Soundtrack album: “No Direction Home: The Soundtrack”, Bob Dylan.

Dylan’s Bootleg Series Vol. 7 is the soundtrack for the Scorsese documentary “No Direction Home”. There is nothing on this release that a semi-serious Dylan fan hasn’t already heard. Everything on the two discs has been widely circulated on bootlegs for years, but not in this quality. It starts with a home recording done in 1959, and runs through the infamous ’66 UK tour. Brilliant stuff. The movie is great too. It’s already out on DVD.

Best album by an Oscar Nominated Hollywood Actress: “You’re Speaking My Language”, Juliette & The Licks

OK, this is a joke. There are a few good songs on this album, but unfortunately it veers too far into Pat Benetar territory for me. Having seen them play live though, I can say that Juliette Lewis has potential at fronting a rock n roll band. She has the potential to be quite good, but she also has the potential to go bad too. Time will tell. I must say, she is quite sexy in person. Just don’t lend her a Sharpie to sign stuff with…you won’t get it back. This album is worth a listen if you get it in a cut-out bin…otherwise don’t worry about giving it a skip.

Best Covers album: “Copycat Killers”, Cobra Verde

The first sound you hear is someone hitting a joint and coughing…it’s the intro to Pink’s “Get the Party Started”. I much prefer the Cobra Verde version to the original. It’s so funny! Here’s the story on this record. Cobra Verde bought some new recording equipment. To get the feel of how things worked, they started screwing around with cover songs. After a few days they realized that some of the stuff that they recorded sounded pretty cool. So they decided to go for it and see what happened. What happened was a strange and fun album of cover songs. They even cover the Stones “Play with Fire”…and it’s pretty cool too. It’s dark and full of menace, just like the original. Cobra Verde picked an eclectic list of songs, and put their own spin on each one. They stick close enough to the original so that the songs are instantly recognizable, but with enough spin to make them sound different. It’s a fine line to walk, but somehow Cobra Verde pulled it off.

Best Blues album: “Car Wash”, The Howling Diablos

I’d say this is White Boy Blues…but there’s a black guy in the band, so I can’t. The Howling Diablos are a one trick pony. Fortunately, it’s a pretty fucking good trick! This is lowdown, nasty, swamp running music. You got loud nasty guitars, thumping bass; a driving beat, and gravel worn vocals. Check out this lyric:

I’m going down to the car wash Going down there to pick up my check

That is the very first lyric that you hear on the record! Too fucking cool. The album is too limited in its scope to be considered for my Top Ten list, but I listen to this record a lot. It’s on Alive Records; you should try to find it.

Best Adult Contemporary Soft Rock Radio Album: “A Bigger Bang”, the Rolling Stones

There. I gave the new Stones album an award…happy now?

Best Live Album: “Live at Maxwell’s”, The Reigning Sound

A combustible set from one of the best pure rock n roll bands in the US. I like this particular record for a number of reasons. The first reason is that this is a warts and all live recording. It has that bootleg feel to it. I like that. Another reason is that Greg Cartwright ends up with only three strings left on his vintage Gretsch Tennessee Rose. And he finishes the set anyhow. But the biggest reason I like this record is because of the incendiary songs.

Best Box Set: “One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost & Found”, Various Artists

No, I’m not kidding. This thing is great. There are 117 songs on here. Of those 117, I’d heard maybe 10 of them. Some I’d heard done by other people. Spectacular. It comes in a 50’s style hat box, and the neato booklet looks like a key lock diary. Rhino really did this up right. These songs needed rescued from obscurity and given some light. Sure, most of these groups disappeared for a reason…they weren’t very good. But every once in a while the sun, moon, and stars all lined up right, and these groups laid down some perfect wax. Thanks to Rhino, we all get a chance to experience that perfection for ourselves. I wasn’t born with enough thumbs to give this all the thumb’s up it deserves.

Best Bootleg: Rolling Stones & Hershey Kisses

And as soon as I get my computer problems at home sorted out, you will all have the chance to hear for yourself.

Best Tour: “On Stage 2005-06”, the Rolling Stones

Duh.

OK, enough of that stuff. As Keith would say…On with the show! Here’s my Top Ten for 2005.

Just missed(in no particular order): “Your Favorite People All In One Place”--the Medications, “Beachhead”—the Fleshtones, “Electrified”—Dressy Bessy, “Surgery”—The Warlocks, “X Descendent”—Rosetta West, "Bassholes"-Bassholes, "Odditorium"-Dandy Warhols

10. “Pussycat”, the Charms

I almost didn’t put this on my list because Little Steven is really pushing this band. But that would be a really lame reason to not include this worthy album. This album sounds drunk. In fact, it probably IS drunk. It smells like cigarette smoke too. It’s a fun; shake your ass, party record. There should be more liquored up party records. I’ve had this in heavy rotation for a while now. It’ll probably stay there for a while longer too. The Charms have some guitar and organ action happening over top of some smash and bash drumming. The lead singer sounds like she is just about ready to pass out, dead drunk. It’s crude, but effective. The Charms “Pussycat” is on Red Car Records.

9. “The Sights”, The Sights

Ooooooo, I like this. I suppose one would call this “Neo-Psyche” music. It reminds me of The Faces. In fact, the hidden song at the end is “Stay with Me.” But I can also hear The Pink Floyd with Syd, and the Davies brothers mixed in there. This is a good album for driving in the car. The Sights are on New Line Records. This is a band on my must see list.

8. “…tick…tick…tick…” Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3

No, it’s not the Las Vegas casino Steve Wynn. It’s the Dream Syndicate Steve Wynn. Tick tick tick is obviously an ode to the Velvet Underground, right down to the Warholized cayenne pepper sticker on the front cover. That is not to say that it sounds like a VU record. There is plenty of tasty guitar and toe tapping melody to go around. But the influence of Lou & Co. is unmistakable. Steve Wynn is on Blue Rose Records.

7. “If You Don’t Already Have A Look”, The Dirtbombs

This is a two disc set from Mick Collins’ main project. It’s a compilation of singles, b sides, oddities, and covers. Disc one is all originals, disc two is all covers. I’m not sure how to describe The Dirtbombs. The band is two drummers, two bass players, and Mick’s idiosyncratic guitar. I suppose the best way to describe the music is loosely controlled chaos with lots of melody (sometimes). I love Mick’s voice, and his witty, barbed lyrics. I don’t know if this is the place to start if you have never heard The Dirtbombs, but if you’ve had a taste and like the flavor, you MUST have this on your plate too. I recommend that you don’t listen to this while driving…unless you want a ticket. The Dirtbombs are on In The Red Records.

6. “The Art of Rolling”, The Blue Van

From the deepest, darkest, recesses of European garages comes The Blue Van. Who says that Continentals can’t play high octane Rock n Roll? They can, and The Blue Van proves it. Let me tell you, if these guys don’t make you want to shake a tail feather, then you must be dead. The line up for this band is one guitar, a bass guitar, organ (It could be a Vox, I can’t tell for sure.), and kicking drums. I like these guys better than say, The Hives, because they are much more danceable. The Blue Van are melodic children of Nuggets style music. You can hear many varied influences, including The Rolling Stones. Stones fans would definitely dig this album. The Blue Van is on TVT Records.

5. “The Repulsion Box”, Sons and Daughters

The Repulsion Box is the full length-follow up to the wonderful “Love the Cup” EP. I honestly don’t know why this band grabs me like it does. The music is quite odd. Perhaps it’s the interplay between the male and female voices. I have to see this band play live. Maybe that will help me to make out what is so cool about them. They have something that I haven’t been able to put the finger on yet. The music is dark, yet bright at the same time. It’s so sparse that the cup runs over. It is quietly loud, or loudly quiet, I can’t say which. Whatever it is, it is captivating. Sons and Daughters are on Domino Records.

4. “Pretty In Black”, The Raveonettes

Wow. Who knew that The Raveonettes had this in them? “Pretty In Black” was produced by Richard Gottehrer…the guy who wrote “My Boyfriend’s Back”, and founding member of The Strangeloves. It sounds like something straight out of 1959. The guitars are drenched in shimmering reverb, the vocals in lusty echo. What a delight! Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo’s voices melt together like a peanut butter cup. They even do a cover of “My Boyfriend’s Back”, and somehow make it sound fresh, and oddly sinister for such a peppy take. I’m really glad that someone is still making this kind of music. The Raveonettes are on Columbia Records.

3. “Baby” (enhanced version), The Detroit Cobras

“Baby” was originally released on Rough Trade in Europe in 2004, and was only available in the US on import. But Bloodshot Records picked it up for US release in Sept. of 2005, so it qualifies for this list. Also included on the CD is the OOP import EP “Seven Easy Pieces”. Now that is value for your money. “Baby” also includes the first Detroit Cobras original, the smutty “Hot Dog”. E-A-T-H-O-T-D-O-G Hot Dog! The enhanced version includes the video for Cha Cha Twist as well. It features Meg White as Little Red Riding Hood. “Baby” also gets a bonus award for best use of yodeling in a rock & roll song during “Everybody’s Going Wild”. The Detroit Cobras take mostly forgotten R&B chestnuts from days gone by, and rock them up Detroit style. Rachel Nagy’s voice is smoky and sultry, oozing sex with every breath. This enhanced version of “Baby” is a Rock n Roll bomb. If I’m ever a suicide bomber…this is what I’m gonna blow myself up with.

2. “The Woods”, Sleater-Kinney

Be careful with this album. It could blow up your speakers. These ladies can kick it hard! The songs on “The Woods” flow together seamlessly. They are hard songs played even harder. I have found that the best way to listen to this album is from beginning to end in its entirety. I won’t say that this is a “concept album”, but it certainly could be one. For most of the year, this was my Album of the Year. The music is inventive, surprising, playful, and dangerous. This is Sleater-Kinney’s first record for SubPop, after leaving Kill Rock Stars. The change must have done them good because “The Woods” is a wonderful Rock n Roll record. The knock on Sleater-Kinney was always that they were a one trick pony. “The Woods” dispels that notion in a hurry. This is a very well crafted, well written, well performed album. Now the big challenge for Sleater-Kinney will be….can they keep making albums on an equal level as “The Woods”? They have set the bar rather high for themselves. Good for them.

Ok, this is it. SS’s Album of the Year for 2005…..drum roll please…..

Album of the Year: “Howl”, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

This is NOT “Whatever Happened To My Rock n Roll”. In fact, if the album sleeve didn’t tell you that you were listening to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club you probably wouldn’t guess it. “Howl” is completely different from anything that BRMC has done to date. Some people don’t like such things. Some people would prefer a band’s sound to stay static. Not me. I like a band to show me some versatility. And they do get versatile on this album. I guess one would call this a roots rock album, paying homage to the Blues, Country, even Gospel music. The production is muddy and dank. It casts an aura of sinister mood over every note. It suits the songs perfectly. This is not a big, loud, guitar album like the other two BRMC albums, but it is definitely a guitar album. Strikingly well played, BRMC’s musicianship stands to the fore. “Howl” is also an easy album for Stones fans to like. The same sort of music that influenced The Stones also influences this record. You can certainly hear Dead Flowers and No Expectations buried in there. “Howl” is a fantastic album that anyone who likes Rock n Roll can sink their teeth into. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is on RCA. Do yourself a favor, go buy “Howl” right now.

So there you have it, another year in the books. I’m hoping 2006 is as good as 2005. You can get most of the titles that made my list at Amazon.com & the Amazon Marketplace….but if you are going to buy any of these albums, how about buy one, or all, from our very own Nasty Habits. I’m sure he stocks most of these albums, and he might even be able to save you a couple of bucks if he has a used copy available.
December 19th, 2005 08:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot >What do you think? Do you honestly think music as a whole is really good today??? <

Oh hell yeah. There's TONS of real good music out there today. Oodles of the stuff even.

I'll agree with Ian that the state of big label music sucks right now. But man, there's lots of cool rockin' stuff out on the small timers. So much good stuff that I had a hard time with my Best Of 2005 list. It was really hard to narrow it down. It was so hard that I almost went with a top 20 list instead of only selecting 10. Even if I had done a top 20...I STILL would have been agonizing over what I was leaving off.

One oversight that I saw on my list already is the Dungen album that Nasty mentioned. Maybe not top 10, but should have at least got a just missed.

And there is tons of stuff that I didn't even get a chance to hear yet. Like the new Deadly Snakes album "Porcella". If no one buys that for me for Xmas, that will be my first purchase after the holiday. I mean, there is so much good stuff out there that it's just impossible to hear it all!

I feel bad for the people who are stuck in the mainstream, for whatever reason. Finding the good stuff does take some time and effort. It requires some networking and research. It requires going to a lot of shows. It requires clicking link after link on band site links pages. I don't like everything I hear either. Sometimes you gotta suffer through some crap in yer quest. Yeah Ian, there is a lot of crap out there. But there is also a whole lotta worthwhile music being made...you just gotta hunker down and find it.

Remember, just because you never heard of a band/album, doesn't mean that it's not good. It simply means that you have yet to hear it. I know that you said that you are surrounded by music Ian. Maybe you should change the station to something better. Because better IS out there. I know it's there because I hear it every day.
December 19th, 2005 09:13 PM
pdog You like Pink!!! Dude! How lame. My friend helped her on her last album, and he's a good friend. I made fun of him to his face! The friendship endured, her album still sucked. Ian, I'm really sorry to say this, but you have musical taste like my wife. Who I love more than anything, but she admits she likes shitty stuff. She calls herself musically retarded and leaves her music away from me. I get all playing rights in the house.
So, Ian, what's it like being musically retarded? And yes, I'm a snob... But there's on contradiction to that. I love talking music and sharing hip new bands with people, as long as they're open minded! Sometime the best new stuff I hear is something that's really old and I never knew about it. I have no shame in admitting I didn't know about The Flaming Groovies until four years ago. I also love The Rainy Day Saints... Best album I heard in a long time. I don't know anybody except for SS's uncle, who also owns that album... Go figure.
December 19th, 2005 09:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I also love The Rainy Day Saints... Best album I heard in a long time. I don't know anybody except for SS's uncle, who also owns that album... Go figure.<

GGGGAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Dude...I"M LISTENING TO THAT ALBUM RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW!!!!

If I had any hair on the back of my neck...it would be standing up right now!
December 19th, 2005 09:27 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I also love The Rainy Day Saints... Best album I heard in a long time. I don't know anybody except for SS's uncle, who also owns that album... Go figure.<

GGGGAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Dude...I"M LISTENING TO THAT ALBUM RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW!!!!

If I had any hair on the back of my neck...it would be standing up right now!

Am I right! Do these guys rock... Kinda Stooges, w/o stealing too much... The acoustic song, kills me. I've actually been seen carrying a purse while running after a train in tears, after listeing to it...
Hey, do you shave you neck and back too! I do...
December 19th, 2005 09:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot I only need to shave my neck. I don't have a back hair problem yet.

I like the Get Hip label. They put out lots of neato stuff. And, of course, it is also home to The Cynics.

They can be a pain to order from though. There are always a couple of things that they back order on me(back order as in you will never see this album arrive in your mailbox).
December 20th, 2005 06:15 AM
IanBillen pdog wrote:
"You like Pink!!! Dude! How lame".

I think she has a good powerful voice and the songs are good pop tunes. I don't take it very seriously. How can you. Mizzunderstood was a really good pop album.

I will give anything a chance. And if it is done well I can listen to it. Some of the groups you spoke of I know. Most I did not. A few of I only have heard them mentioned. I will check some of them out.

*pdog,
In case you have never heard ....music is a taste you have. As well it is an opinion, a liking. There is no right or wrong when it comes to what kind of music, or what kind of bands or artists someone is into. I admit sometimes I think things are crap. I won't consider someone an idiot for liking something if I feel it's shitty and they like it. It is all an opinion. The attitude you take on this is immature, really. Would you call your wife a retard if she doesn't like the same flavor of ice-cream as you?

Ian
December 20th, 2005 02:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot >You like Pink!!! Dude! How lame.<

That is not what I said. I said that I like Cobra Verde's version of a Pink song. And if you check it out, you'll probably like it too.
December 20th, 2005 02:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Would you call your wife a retard if she doesn't like the same flavor of ice-cream as you?<

Oh hell, I've called her a retard for a lot less than that!

December 20th, 2005 04:42 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>You like Pink!!! Dude! How lame.<

That is not what I said. I said that I like Cobra Verde's version of a Pink song. And if you check it out, you'll probably like it too.

Some of my favorite songs are cover songs of people I despise done by very cool bands. Like The Supersuckers doing Madonna, the Lords Of The New Church doing Madonna, Ciccone Youth (aka Sonic Youth) doing Madonna. I love Madonna covers...
My wife is self described musically retarded, but she has great taste in ice cream.
I also should apologize to Ian, I'm sorry. I'm not so much putting you down for your tastes, but in the way you represent your tastes. You're the one stating music today sucks, which isn't about taste, it's an attempt to state a fact. It's a false statemnt, rock music has only gotten better. On many levels. Not only are there tons of cool young bands, technology has enabled us to hear older bands with modern day fidelity improvemnts that bring new life to old music.
I would ask, if you consider Pink pop music, why is she even brought up in a topic where we were talking about todays rcok bands? Then again Power pop is the foundation of punk rock from the late and mid 70's. Listening to old Clash, Ramones, Buzzcocks and Stiff Little Fingers you hear everything from 50's rockabilly, 4 part harmonies and even Do-Wop...
I just don't like music that sucks, and I know for a fact when something sucks or doesn't rock. BUT!!! I have no place to say what you like doesn't rock for you. It's in the ears. I can only hope to try to bring some cool sounds into yours, if you allow me, thus starting a chain reaction from your head, to your heart and then your soul...
Trust SS and 2000 Man. These guys know rock and roll. More than I can hope to ever. I'm humbled by them. They are dedicated to rock and roll. Look to them as prophets or oracles. They're are the travelling preachers of what is good in rock and roll. They can take you from the land of eternal hell of lame music, and into the kingdom of everlasting blistering guitars, we call Rock & Roll.
It's not too late... It's never too late.
Just push play and swig your favorite adult beverage. Rock and roll is alive and well. It lives in the heart of some kid who is plugging into his amp right now. Even the kid doesn't know the forces he's about to unleash. The kid just wants to piss of his parents. That's rock and roll!
If it's too loud, you're too old!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)